2008 Drum Corps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put the thread over here for a few reasons.

Yes, drum corps has a gay draw. It's art! You travel the country!

But the main reason is in the past I have started a drum corps thread on the community board, and it just sat there. The thread I started over here was a lot of fun last summer, and most people didn't mind coming over here to discuss drum corps.

That's all....

Ah! Now I see! Thanks!! :goodvibes

I meant Family in the GLBT sense. ;) I was curious why the thread is particular to this forum.
I can certainly understand a sense of family and belonging from participating in this sort of group/team/corps, but I was wondering if there is a specific draw for gay youth.
I am perfectly fine with whatever DS's orientation is. All of my friends told me they knew by the time they were 9, so I am assuming HE already knows. He hasn't really said anything to me for me to know one way or the other, he just seems to have interests that lean a bit, if that makes sense. Obviously I want him to be comfortable and happy with himself, if that is even possible for ANYONE in middle school.:rolleyes:
Like I said, I try to stay one step ahead of him, so I might be reading more into it than there is. It has been said that I will be the mom who shakes her head and asks "Where did I go wrong?" if my DS is straight!:rotfl:

haha oooohhh. The drum corps community is extremely accepting of gay people. Some of the best designers, performers, and leaders are gay and no one cares.

If you are unsure about his orientation, drum corps will probably bring it out. I got done with my first year of college and decided I was tired of hiding. I came out to drum corps people first because I knew I would be accepted. It was also the perfect environment because drum corps people don't typically mix with family and friends to the point where something like that would come out. What happens in corps stays in corps :-)

2 weeks after getting back from corps I went to WDW and did my college program. That's where I had my first kiss, my first bf, etc etc. I also came out to my parents on the college program.

Between drum corps, college, and Disney in 2004, I was home for a total of 6 weeks the whole year LOL. Without drum corps and Disney, I would be a very different person.

Drum corps will truly change a person and 99.9% of the time it's for the better. Having a bus get a flat tire in the middle of the night and then have 50 people squeeze onto two already packed full busses while tossing luggage in the food truck is an experience like none other. Talk about building character:rotfl2:

Ok back to work

Food truck? :scared1:

You had a food truck?

We had a U-Haul packed with cereal and cans of tuna and Kool-Aid!:cool1:

Mayo? Milk? Heck no!

But we still managed ....

Ahhh midnight breakdowns on the side of the road......who will ever forget?

Food truck? :scared1:

You had a food truck?

We had a U-Haul packed with cereal and cans of tuna and Kool-Aid!:cool1:

Mayo? Milk? Heck no!

But we still managed ....

Ahhh midnight breakdowns on the side of the road......who will ever forget?

And you want me to hand my baby over to experience things like THAT?!:scared1: He has never eaten tuna from a can! The last tuna he had was in sushi at Citrico's!:rotfl2: And he's not terribly fond of Kool Aid, either.

I would love for him to be in the college program at WDW. He likes art and music, but he can't sing and I suspect that he can't dance, either!;) I'm not sure what sort of career he is hoping for - I don't think he really knows yet. I wouldn't mind if he wanted to join a drum corps, but probably not until he is a little bit older.:)

And you want me to hand my baby over to experience things like THAT?!:scared1: He has never eaten tuna from a can! The last tuna he had was in sushi at Citrico's!:rotfl2: And he's not terribly fond of Kool Aid, either.

I would love for him to be in the college program at WDW. He likes art and music, but he can't sing and I suspect that he can't dance, either!;) I'm not sure what sort of career he is hoping for - I don't think he really knows yet. I wouldn't mind if he wanted to join a drum corps, but probably not until he is a little bit older.:)

There are 3 different divisions of corps. Division II/III corps are smaller and usually have more spots open than a Division I corps. If you're worried about age, he might be best off starting in a lower division corps and if he wants to, working into a Div I corps. There are many kids who are 14 in the lower division corps and it really is a good place for them to hone their skills. The other thing about being older is that kids start wanting a job, a car, a cell phone, and bills start coming. Pretty soon drum corps gets pushed to the side. Starting young makes sure they have the opportunity to march at least once. Most of the time they get so hooked they work all year long to pay for the summer. The other thing is that the age out is 21. If you turn 22 after June 1, you can march at 22, but otherwise, you're done after 21, never to march junior corps again. Sooner is better. I didn't join until I was 19 and those extra years went way too fast and I didn't get the chance to march again.

There are 3 different divisions of corps. Division II/III corps are smaller and usually have more spots open than a Division I corps. If you're worried about age, he might be best off starting in a lower division corps and if he wants to, working into a Div I corps. There are many kids who are 14 in the lower division corps and it really is a good place for them to hone their skills. The other thing about being older is that kids start wanting a job, a car, a cell phone, and bills start coming. Pretty soon drum corps gets pushed to the side. Starting young makes sure they have the opportunity to march at least once. Most of the time they get so hooked they work all year long to pay for the summer. The other thing is that the age out is 21. If you turn 22 after June 1, you can march at 22, but otherwise, you're done after 21, never to march junior corps again. Sooner is better. I didn't join until I was 19 and those extra years went way too fast and I didn't get the chance to march again.

He just turned 12 last month. He already has a cell phone, and when he is old enough to drive we will give him DH's car and buy a new one for DH. (Unless something happens to DH's car before then.):scared1:
He is our only child on purpose - DH and I were both spoiled growing up and we are going down that same path with DS. (As evidenced by 8 trips to WDW in 3.5 years.) If he is interested in corps then we will pay for him to participate so he can focus on academics during the school year.:)

It looks like the corps in Denton (which isn't too far) might be one for him to investigate, especially if he has intentions of going to college at UNT. He seems to be doing well with his drumming. The director has DS and 3 others from Beginning band staying after twice a week to learn the Intermediate music so they can play some upcoming concerts. If he really is good at drumming and enjoys it then I want to encourage him! :thumbsup2

Hmm. It seems that the local one is actually an "all-age" corps, which is a bit different. I don't think there is a Jr. corps close to us. I don't count San Antonio as "close". But I will keep researching and see what I come up with!

Not that senior corps is ANY true comparison, as far as dedication and skill.... but I did senior corps for a few summers out of high school. I didn't have the drive for DCI, but still loved color guard and missed it from high school so much. I had a friend in the Cadets and in the Crossmen and would follow them around one summer. Senior corps (no age limit, 2-3 days a week of practice, shows only on the weekends) gave me the outlet to enjoy field show competitions for myself, again. I also had some GREAT times with some really awesome people!

I confess, I still have my rifle in my basement and impress my DD8 and DS6 from time to time...

Kids travel all over the country to march. I commuted from Ohio to New Jersey.

You will also be surprised that numerous corps have Winter camps in Texas. I know the Bluecoats do, not sure of the others. And I agree, if your son is only 12, a Div II or III corps would be a good start. Most kids in Div I corps are between the ages of 17 and 21.

Kids travel all over the country to march. I commuted from Ohio to New Jersey.

You will also be surprised that numerous corps have Winter camps in Texas. I know the Bluecoats do, not sure of the others. And I agree, if your son is only 12, a Div II or III corps would be a good start. Most kids in Div I corps are between the ages of 17 and 21.

I am too much of a helicopter mom to allow him to go out of state by himself.;) I might be able to handle an in-state camp.

I was reading on the DCI website last night as well as the sites for some individual corps. I pulled up the audition pieces for one corps and asked DS if he could read the music, and he said he could. I played cello when I was younger so I can't read drum music.:rotfl2: This is definitely something to consider if he stays interested in drums/band.

Thanks for all of your help! :)

hey everyone
just a quick update
we had our february camp last weekend
everything went very well
6 hours of visual block was
terribly uncool
but just
be excited about the 2008 Bluecoats
its going to melt your face off
really

Love love love Drum Corps. I never had the chance to march myself, but I had several friends that did. I have insane amounts of respect for anyone who has marched. I was a band nerd throughout high school, and that was where I was able to experience my first DCI show. I played the trombone, and I really thought about joining a corps, but valves confused me. :confused3 The coolest thing for me however, was that the show my senior year was the *watered down of course* very same as the Cadets from 2000. So, not only is the show amazing period, but I've lived and breathed the music personally so whenever I see Illuminations that just makes it mean that much more for me.

hey everyone
just a quick update
we had our february camp last weekend
everything went very well
6 hours of visual block was
terribly uncool
but just
be excited about the 2008 Bluecoats
its going to melt your face off
really

Seeing that BLOOOO topped every corps in the country at one time or another last season, I'm expecting no less than a top 3 finish this year!! :woohoo:

That 94 Alumni corp was a sight to see-wish they'd do it again. Would like to see a North Star Alumni corp too.

Just flipping through, and Drum Corps caught my eye...so funny you mention North Star. I finished my junior corps career there in 78. It was truly a dream come true for me. No we didn't ever win the nationals, but being in the top 12 at a time there were 70+ corps trying to get in was good enough for this drum corps lifer. I think if you can get to Lawrence this summer for both the re-introduction of Mission Drums to be held in Lawrence on July 26, and then the Crusaders show on that following Thursday you will get a pleasant surprise from the Crusaders Senior Corps...Rumor has it they will be playing Ole, and Masquerade as a tribute from one great "Boston" area corps to another.

Now that is class!

I'll start off by saying I was never in drum corp., can't read music and would probably trip over myself while trying to march. That being said, my favorite, all-time drum corp. is the Bayonne Bridgemen from Bayonne, NJ, who re-formed I guess with the older members. I don't think they really compete too much anymore, although I could be wrong, but I think the love the corp. is something that has never left their blood. Possibly no one has heard of them because it's been a long time since their hayday, but I just thought I'd throw in my $.02.

I don't think they really compete too much anymore, although I could be wrong, but I think the love the corp. is something that has never left their blood. Possibly no one has heard of them because it's been a long time since their hayday, but I just thought I'd throw in my $.02.

Oh, they are very much alive and well. Although the "Bridgemen Shuffle" isn't quite as spunky as it was, they are still awesome. I have a few friends playing there right now. My fondest memory of my competing days were in Malden, Ma, 1978. It was my very last competition and the Bridgemen made the trip. This show was called the "Battle Of Champions" and was after the nationals. Anyhow, I always respected them and thought they were "the balls" (drum corps talk for really good :-) ).:worship: In the 78 finals they finished 5th. Anyhow, short version, we (North Star) beat them by 2 points in that show, but that was not the best part. After the scores, when they marched by us on the field, they stopped turned away from the bleachers, and toward us, and played their butts off. I just could not believe what I was seeing. Talk about class, and what better way to finish my junior days than to beat one of THE very best, and having them honor us with a concert for us! Gives me chills thinking about it again...:woohoo:

congrats man, I'll be rootin for ya

Being a drummer is EXTREMELY competitive! You have to start young, practice hard, and get involved in a Div III corps. He'll have a lot of success that way.

All age corps are good too. Others are right though, there are a lot of corps with camps in Texas. If you're afraid to let him travel, travel with him :-) corps ALWAYS need volunteers and you get to see the progress of the members over the course of the weekend.

I plan on eventually marching a senior corps. I need to pay off some bills and get a little more financially secure, which given I'm in school won't happen anytime soon. Hopefully Mona Vie will help, but that's another topic!

EDIT: ok my response is exactly one page behind LOL. Go to the end of page 2 and thats what I was talkin about

congrats man, I'll be rootin for ya

Being a drummer is EXTREMELY competitive! You have to start young, practice hard, and get involved in a Div III corps. He'll have a lot of success that way.

All age corps are good too. Others are right though, there are a lot of corps with camps in Texas. If you're afraid to let him travel, travel with him :-) corps ALWAYS need volunteers and you get to see the progress of the members over the course of the weekend.

I plan on eventually marching a senior corps. I need to pay off some bills and get a little more financially secure, which given I'm in school won't happen anytime soon. Hopefully Mona Vie will help, but that's another topic!

EDIT: ok my response is exactly one page behind LOL. Go to the end of page 2 and thats what I was talkin about

I thought about going with him. ;) We'll see how the vacation days shake out when he is old enough to go to camp. If we keep going on 16 nighters to WDW I'll have to let him go by himself because I will have to stay here and WORK! :rotfl:

Oh, they are very much alive and well. Although the "Bridgemen Shuffle" isn't quite as spunky as it was, they are still awesome. I have a few friends playing there right now. My fondest memory of my competing days were in Malden, Ma, 1978. It was my very last competition and the Bridgemen made the trip. This show was called the "Battle Of Champions" and was after the nationals. Anyhow, I always respected them and thought they were "the balls" (drum corps talk for really good :-) ).:worship: In the 78 finals they finished 5th. Anyhow, short version, we (North Star) beat them by 2 points in that show, but that was not the best part. After the scores, when they marched by us on the field, they stopped turned away from the bleachers, and toward us, and played their butts off. I just could not believe what I was seeing. Talk about class, and what better way to finish my junior days than to beat one of THE very best, and having them honor us with a concert for us! Gives me chills thinking about it again...:woohoo:

Glad to hear you had the opportunity to personally experience them. I was always so impressed with them as a kid and was very disappointed when they disbanded. A few years ago (2?) they did a show here in Bayonne at Veterans Stadium where they hosted a whole slew of bands. I think it was the first time they'd played together in years, and it brought back so many memories. Now I've got my daughter interested in them and the funny thing is, one of her classmate's dads plays with them. It's nice to see something so wonderful brought back to new generation and it's also nice to have our town known for something! I have to say that I'm entirely impressed with anyone who lives this lifestyle because I couldn't. The hours of practice, travel, being away from home, the money involved... it really takes dedication, loyalty and a love of the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter