2008 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Reviews

TDC Nala

1937, what a year that was
This is a sticky thread by which you can submit and locate reviews of the Epcot food and wine festival for 2008.

I was hoping to find a review of last night's PFTS! Any word yet on the PFTS entertainment?

There wasn't a PFTS last night - that Bocuse d'Or gala dinner was being held in its place this year.

The first PFTS will be next Saturday ... the 4th, I think.

According to the festival guide: "On stages, extraordinary artists from Metropolis perform feats of balance, strength, agility & mayhem throughout the evening while other remarkable characters interact with the guests to their surprise & delight. Between acts, unique music by Mechanical Soul will provide a stylish world-beat accompaniment to the party."

We attended with our free snack credits the first day - 9/26/08. Loved the food and the atmosphere ... hated the lines!!! Unbelieveable how slow they all were. The long, slow-moving lines at each of the kiosks prevented/kept us from getting more food.

It took ions for the register people to service even one guest, and then they had to wait in the next line to get the food/wine. If you had 6 people ahead of you, you could figure you wouldn't have your food for 10 minutes at least. We were there in the afternoon and most of the lines were out in the full sun!!! Ugh!

Again, food was great but they need to do something about speeding up the process at each of the kiosks.

Can't wait to hear some reviews. Only a couple of days and we'll be there too.

I loved everything I tried at F&W (Sept 25-27) with the exception of the pear tart at Pearville Fair. Unfortunately, that item is not remotely freshly made (prepackaged and refrigerated in covered plastic bowls). This was very disappointing.

I hope they are able to iron out the issues that they were having with the register hardware (problems swiping anything plastic) and with the staff (too many older CMs manning the wine stations in the booths had no clue which wine was which... even if it was a white or red).

We walked around, stopped at a couple booths (Sept. 26th/27th).
(Japan)The seafood salad with the rasberry sake is a wonderful pairing.

(France) The frommage quiche with leeks is very good. The excargot were cooked a little long this past weekend, usually they are fantastic every year.

It seemed the booths were not expecting as many people as they had on Friday as they kept running out of food and we waited up to 30 minutes for what we ordered to appear.

Also, the usual credit card issues with the machines.

All the lines were basically behind the registers and movig slow, slow, slow.

I'll be posting some more detailed reviews when I get home from work tonight, but just got back @ 1:30am from our weekend trip which included the Bocus d'Or Grand Gala.

We had an amazing time and really enjoyed most aspects of the overall festival.

Agree with Webray that there were some credit card issues at the food booths -- most of the issues, however, seemed to me to be more user error than systems-related. There was one poor woman working at the New Zealand booth who had absolutely no idea how to ring up either a room charge or DDE snack charge. After waiting 15+ minutes for her to ring up the guy in front of me, and then 5 failed efforts to ring me up, I gave in and just paid cash. Minor complaint though.

More info to follow later (along with, hopefully, many pics!)

Brad

This was kind of a last minute thing for us. Hubby and I decided when are we ever going to have the chance to meet this wonderful list of chefs all in one place ever again.
We headed over to EPCOT a little before 10am on Friday morning (9/26). We figured we would have a chance to check out the festival center before the competition started. The castmembers were already posted outside the World Showplace Pavillion, so we stopped to inquire where we pick up our credentials, etc. They gave us the info we needed, where to go, where the book signings were, where our area was, etc. We thanked them and headed over. We returned at 11am, doors opened shortly afterward. Poor hubby, lugging my cookbooks to be signed. He was probably ready to kill me, lol.

Book signings were starting right away, so we stopped there first. We met Thomas Keller, he signed our Bouchon Book. What a great guy, and amazing hand writing, lol. Then Jean-Georges Vongerickten. Again, what a great guy, he joked about my cookbook, as I took one of his older ones for him to sign. Chef Vongerichten was also happy to pose for a photo. Next up Chef Laurent Tourondel. I had his New American Bistro Cooking, Bistro Laurent Tourondel to sign. I like how he thinks, "Eat Well, Live Well". He was also happy to pose for a photo.

Talked with Misty who was in charge of the special signings, inquiring when Al Roker would be up. She said he wasn't on the list and as of Friday, he hadn't arrived yet. I said, no problem, will look for him tomorrow.

Time to go back to the VIP area, check in and relax a bit. Check in only took a minute as they were extemely organized. Gave us our lanyards so we could come and go as we wanted for the weekend. We found a table in front of one of the big screen tv's so we could watch a bit of the competition. When we sat down there was a Bistro De Paris chef coat menu standing on the table. We were reviewing it when one of the chefs cooking for the day came over and asked us if we would like anything. We said sure, he said excellent, I will send a server right over. The servers were from Le Bistro and they were all excellent, especially Cederic, who was outstanding all weekend. Anyway the menu was as follows:

From the Diageo Bar:
Ciroc Lemonade
Ciroc Vodka and Light Lemonade

Oronoco Mojito
Oronoco Rum, Lime Juice, Simple Syrup, Mint and Soda Water

Platino Margarita
Jose Cuervo Platina Tequila, Organic Agave Nectar, Lime Juice and Water

Don Julio Diablo
Don Julio Blanco Tequila, Creme de Cassis, Lime Juice and Ginger Ale

Moet & Chandon Imperial Champagne

San Pellegrino

Aqua Pana

Limonata
Sparkling Lemon Beverage

Aranciata
Sparkling Orange Beverage

Krups Coffee

On the right side of the menu:
Bocuse d'or USA VIP Lounce

Rougie (sponsor)
Frisee salade with smoked duck breast and Foie Gras mousse toast

Brandt Beef (sponsor)
Asian glazed beef salad or Trio of sliders

D'Artagnan (sponsor)
Sampler of charcuteries and pates

Artisanal Premium Cheese
Selection of Old Kentucky Tomme, Pecorino Balze Volterrane and Fiscalini Cheddar

White Toque
Assortment of warm savory pastries
Tarte flambee-flat bread with cream, ham and onions
Mini Chocolate temptations
Macaroons

All breads baked and donated by Douce France Bakery

Along with everything listed above from the menu there was a table of goodies also. Everything was absolutely fantastic, totally amazing.

Ok, enough of the not stop flowing champagne, lol, time for more cookbook signings..lol. Ok, so I left hubby with his champagne and foie gras and went up front myself, lol. This time I met Georges Perrier from Le Bec-Fin. Again, a totally amazing person. Photo in the link attached.

After that Hubby and I met John Besh. He signed his new book, which is about heathy creole cooking, lol. Can't wait to give it a try. We of course told him we thought he should have won Iron Chef America, lol. He said it was a blessing he didn't because he has been so busy. He said he was in trouble with his kids, because he came to disney without them, lol. Very funny guy, no problem posing for pics either. He was around all weekend, talking with everyone, didn't matter if you were a regular person like hubby and I or Paul Bocuse himself.

That was one of the most amazing things of the whole weekend. Those very, very famous chefs were so wonderful to everyone. They made themselves available for signings and photos all weekend long whenever they had a free moment. They all had smiles all weekend, even though you know they had to be totally exhausted, as they were there to work the competition, it wasn't a vacation for any of them.

Hubby and I left the competition around 1:30pm and headed out to check out the food booths so I didn't get pics of the first days platters, big mistake on my part.

Day two of the competition. More of the same, lol. When we walked up our friends had arrived at EPCOT so we met up with them. When you entered the competition today you were given chef hats, sharpies, party horns and American Flags. We immediately started in with the autographs and photos. Misty, from yesterday saw me and said, guess what, lol, Al Roker is here. I said, cool She said, he still isn't scheduled for a formal signing, but I did mention it to his press people. We walked over to the competition area and there was Al, larger than life (can you hell he is a favorite of hubby and I, lol). He wasn't accessible as he was getting ready to do his part of the emceeing with John Besh. The two together were hilarious, lol, as you can imagine. Talking about Al, what a foodie he is and announcing if anyone has anything for AL to sign, just let him know, lol. I was still outside the red ropes visiting with friends, so I didn't go then, lol.

Ok, time to head back to VIP area, lol. Same nice lady at the rope from yesterday. Cederic was there of course so he started us off with, you guessed it, lol. Champagne and Foie Gras, lol. What else. We tried a few different things and then I thought, why not walk up to the Rope, see if I can get Al's attention. I was standing there, talking to another great castmember we had met the day before. She said, just wait, he will probably see you and come over. So I did. It wasn't minutes after that they did the, if anyone wants Al to sign anything just let us know announcement, lol, he looked my way, I had my cookbook in my hand and he said, oh, that young lady has my holiday book, lol. Well, I do have the holiday book, but the bbq book was in my hand. Al was gracious enough to come over, say hello and sign for me, as well as pose for a photo.

We spent entire afternoon until competition ended, then took pics of the competition platters for the day. They cleared the room quickly as they had to breakdown all the bleachers and kitchen areas and get ready for the Grand Gala.

So amazing! :faint: Thank you VERY much for posting your pictures here! :hug: My daughter & I just looked through all of them and are in awe. If they do this again in Epcot, you can be sure we'll be there! :thumbsup2 Thanks again! :goodvibes

This was kind of a last minute thing for us. Hubby and I decided when are we ever going to have the chance to meet this wonderful list of chefs all in one place ever again. When we received the email regarding the perks for booking with an amex card we said, ok, that seals the deal. We are going.

Cheryl, your photos are amazing! Thank you sooooo soooo much for posting the link. All the food looked so good and those desserts...:worship: It was cute they had Remy there. Gotta love that rat! The table settings were beautiful too. Lots of attention to detail, although I expected nothing less. Glad you had a fabulous time and thank you again for sharing your experience with us. :goodvibes

Thanks soooooooooo much, webray, for posting the report and the AMAZING pictures. I am so envious, but happy for your experience. I am so there if they do this again!!!!

Ok, second day of competition over, we headed to France for Grand Marnier slushies and then back to the room to cool down and get ready for the Gala.

As you can see by the pictures hubby wore his black suit with dressy tee underneath. I had the typical black dress. We had to walk from Swan to World Showplace, lol, it was warm and we were already melting by the time we got there. Doors opened a little late, but everyone was buzzing with excitement. Castmembers come out and said last name A-K one side, L-W the other. Table assignments for the dinner were alphabetically arranged. No problem.

The doors opened and in we went. What a transformation, everything all elegant and beautiful. The silent auction tables with all the items were on the left. Great assortment of items (forgot to take pics, sorry), all different prices. They had a trip to Aspen food/wine classic, bottles of Dom Perigon Rose, Johnny Walker Blue engraved for the Bocuse competition, Chef Paul Bocuse jacket full of autographs, trip to Lyon France for the final competition and so many, many other items. Walk a little further and you found tables some with chairs and some of the higher ones where you stand, filling the center of the room. On the one side were kitchens with chefs prepairing the appetizers. There were servers passing appetizers or you could walk right up to the mini kitchens and talk with chefs, take pics and pic up your appetizers your self. All the disney castmembers were black tie for the evening and they looked spectacular. Hubby and I grabbed a table and enjoyed some appetizers, met another couple when they asked to join our table. Found out it was a small world, as the hubby visits the small town in Wisconsin we grew up in quite often on business.

The items served at the cocktail reception were:
Fall Squash
Kabocha Squash Wrapped with Smoked Salmon
Chef David Myers ---Sona, Los Angeles, CA

Butternet Squash Panna Cotta, Celery and Truffle Salad
Chef Traci des Jardin ---Jardiniere, San Francisco, CA

Wild Mushrooms courtesy of D'Artagnan
Wild Mushroom Cappuccino
Chef Georges Perrier ---Le Bec Fin, Phladelphia, PA
(this was outstanding, and I mean outstanding)

Jalousie d'Epinards et Champignons Sauvages
Chef Andre Soltner ---French Culinary Institute, New York, NY

Foie Gras
courtesy of Rougie
Foie Gra Terrine with Raisin and Apple Mostarda
Chef Laurent Tourondel ---BLT Restaurants, New York, NY

Foie Gras Feuillete, Caramelized Endive and Mango
Chef Alain Sailhac ---French Culinary Institute, New York, NY

Duck
courtesy of D'Artagnan
Grilled Duck and Armagnac Sausage, Black Lentil Dal and Red Curry Sauce in Phyllo
Chef Roland Muller---Food and Beverage Product Development Walt Disney World Parks & Resorts

Roasted Muscovy Duck with Fennel and Blood Oranges, Smoked Bacon and Minus 8 Vinaigrette
Chef Scott Hunnel, Victoria & Albert's Restaurant at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Veuve Clicquot Champagne, NV Brut
Diageo Reserve Specialty Cocktails

We loved all the apps we tried, lol, of course. Everthing was so well done, didn't try any of the cocktails this time around, lol.

Time for dinner. Chef Paul Bocuse welcomed everyone and invited us to join him in the dining room. He greeted everyone as they went through the door to their tables. Very nice touch. He is a class act for sure.

Dinner...

We were table 25 - sage. The tables were clearly marked and easy to locate where you were suppose to be. We grabbed a couple of chairs on the end. A very nice couple from Iowa sat across from us. They had recently opened their own cafe, just a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe they had taken time off already to attend this event, lol.

The table was beautifully decorated. White tablecoths/napkins, gold charges, white dishes. Water glass, three wine glasses and a gold rimmed champagne glass. Silverware straight out of pretty woman, yes that many pieces, lol. Thank goodness I watched the movie so I knew what to use, lol. :rotfl2: A chef hat standing tall on each plate. Lilies and roses in the center of the table. Chairs had gold chair covers with large navy bows on the back. The servers were quick to come over and offer Panna still or Pellegrino sparkling water. They then offered lemon/lime for the glass as well. For men with dark suits the servers quickly offered them the option for a black napkin instead of the white. All the men at our table changed napkins, nice touch.

They said there was one server for each four guests that evening. The servers did a spectacular job all night long. Next out comes the first wine, Edna Valley Vineyard, Paragon, Sauvignon Blanc, San Luis Obispo, 2006.

This went with the first course. Chef Patrick O'Connell --Inn at Little Washington, Washington, VA had prepared (well had some help preparing, lol) the "Tin of Sin"---Peekytoe Crab Salad with Petrossian Caviar. A voice said, if you lift your chef's hat from your plate you will see your first course. The whole room just went aaahhhhh, at the same time. This dish was unbelievable. OMG, makes me want to drive to VA today, and I dreampt about the tin of sin all night last night. It was so delicious. The cavier was not salty, the crab in it's creamy sauce. You had the little pearls spoons to scoop with and the servers brought you little toasted pieces of brioche to enjoy it on. They delivered the slices of brioche one piece at a time, they really kept on top of things, lol. So far so good, time for the next course.

The servers poured the next wine, Acacia Vineyard Chardonnay, Carneros 2006. This has always been favorite of ours, a very nice chardonnay.
This course was prepared, I guess I should say created by Chef Charlie Trotter ---Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, IL. Steamed Pierless Cod with Hojiimenji Mushrooms and a Ginger-Soy-Hijiki Sauce. As you can see this came in a bowl, beautifully done and again, yummy, yummy, yummy. The fish perfectly cooked, a beautiful white fish and the mushrooms were perfectly done as well, still had texture to perfectly compliment the fish. I think hubby licked his bowl clean, lol, or at least sopped up all the broth with one of the lovely breads they had served to us.

There was a white/french bread sliced medium thickness and a whole grain type bread (my favorite) with sunflower seeds on the top. They set each person a plate of a couple slices of butter with what looked like sea salt on top the butter. Totally fantastic, lol.

Ok, next wine is being poured. This time we have Beaulieu Vineyard Reserve, Tapestry, Napa Valley, 2004. This again is a favorite of ours, lol. For this course we have Duo of Brandt Beef: Red Wine Braised Short Ribs and Seared Rib Eye, Glazed Beet, Root Vegetable Gratin, Horseradish.
Course created by Daniel Bouloud ---Daniel, New York, NY. The rib eye was wonderful, the Glazed beet outstanding, the root veggie gratin, loved it..but the braised short rib...omg, I think everyone in the room had an out of body experience when they tasted it, lol. This was outstanding, I only hope the recipe for it is in the cookbook he signed for me (oddly enough named Braised). Daniel is also fantastic, was very gracious in signing and posing for photos all weekend long during the competition.

Next out, the gold rimmed champagne glasses are filled with Dom Perignon Champagne, Brut, Expernay 2000. Must be close to the big announcement.
Dana from Food and Wine magazine is on stage. Now, I didn't write down all the different winners..they gave these chefs competing all sorts of great prizes and rewards for winning the different things at the event.

Artisanal Cheese course is brought out: Comte Fort Russe, Gorgonzola Piccante, Grayson, Manachester, presented by Max McCalman, courtesy of Artisanl Premium Cheese, New York, NY. The cheese place was beautiful, and all of it wonderful, especially the Gorgonzola, lol. The dom poured non stop if you wanted it too, they refilled your glass without even blinking an eye.

The pics have all the winners on stage with their medals and trophies. Remme from Ratatouille was out a couple of times. He lead all the disney chefs out who were handpicked to help with all the cooking for the weekend. Chef Mickey was on stage as well for a couple minutes.

After all the announcements, thanking all the sponsors, etc, everyone was invited to return to the other room for the dessert reception and dancing.
The band started immediately with Hot Hot Hot song..whatever the name of it is, lol. The band was great. Dessert stations were set up on both sides of the rooms, tables again in the center. Hubby and I went from station to station trying/sharing everything:
We had Passion Fruit and Chocolate Baked Alaska
Chef Andreas Born, Disney's Hollywood Studios

Grand Marnier-flamed Crepes Suzette with Vanilla Cream Poached Strawberry Dumplings and Wild Forest Strawberry Sauce
Chef Erich Herbitschek, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
(this was one of my favorites, lol)

Tropical Fruit Tartar and Champange Sabayon
Chef Lothar Neumaier, EPCOT

Salted Caramel Coffee, Passion Fruit Duchesse
Chef Ewald Notter, Notter School of Pastry Arts

Assorted Petits Fours and Fruits with Champagne Foam
Chef Stefan Riemer, Disney's Yacht & Beach Club resorts

"Poire Helene"--Poached Bosc Pear, Valrhona Chocolate ganache, Almond Financier and Amaretti Gelato
Chef Kelly Smith, Disney's Boardwalk Resort

Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Martini and Apricot Napoleon
Chef Chris Vitanza, Disney's Contemporary Resort

Celebration Cake
Chef Mike McCarey, Mike's Amazing Cakes, Redmond, WA

Moet White Star Champagne
Diageo Reserve after dinner drinks
Krups Coffee Selection

Needless to say, the entire evening was amazing, outstanding, fantastic.
Chef Besh saw us as we were leaving and stopped to chat for a moment.
We picked up our parting gifts and headed out the door. CM who had been there all day, outside working still at midnight. She took a pic of Bob and I with chef hats on and we walked back to resort.

We met many more chefs, got photos and autographs than I have listed in these two reviews, I am sure, as my chefs hat is full of autographs from the second day of competition also. This event was the best we have ever attended on disney property! We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck in France, TEAM USA. I know everyone who attended the event is so proud of all of you who competed!

Cheryl .. thank you for letting us all see this fantastic night of yours! It looks so wonderful!:lovestruc

what a fantastic experience! I'm having trouble viewing your pics from work, so I will look forward to seeing them tonight, your descriptions were great though!
what were the extra 'perks' from using your Amex vs. what the regular package offered? Was the cost significantly different? I got confused with all the different changes that were made over the course of the event being announced!

webray, thanks for the review of the event! So glad you decided to attend and you felt that it was totally worth it. You two looked like you really enjoyed the event. Yes, we do expect you to try some of those recipes from those signed cookbooks and report back on your successes! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter