• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**2011** Epcot Food & Wine Festival HAS ENDED. 2012 Festival 9/28 - 11/11

Thanks for the crunching!
Even with the $12 a 'pop' on the Moet Chandon, wine is still the least expensive it's been in the 4 years. Don't know if that means less drinkable quality wines or not. Time will tell. ;)

Well there's a corresponding increase in beer cost over those years, so I would assume that it means there are fewer glasses of wine available as booths have other options. And where do cocktails fit into this?

They may still have them and just have the normal Kouzzina chef give them - but I know I'll be asking for a refund for my date. I wouldn't normally pay $150 for a dinner, even a signature dinner at a restaurant I love. The only reason I justified it to my family was that it was dinner with Cat Cora. Maybe if they reduced the price, but I doubt they would since the other signature meals are about that much as well.

For what it's worth, we did the Signature dinner at Kouzzina last year and it was fabulous - we really aren't Kouzzina fans but wanted to do it because of Cat Cora. Anyways, the food and wine alone were worth the $150 (or whatever we paid). Cat Cora's flight was late, so the executive chef Dee did most of the evening. She was wonderful - we would actually do the Kouzzina Signature dinner again even if Cat Cora wasn't going to be there. If you can convince your family, I would keep the reservations. Just my two cents!

The word out now (which I don't know for sure because I haven't gotten my call yet) is that all the Cat Cora signatures are being cancelled.

Kouzzina has a "chefs table" which I think is just on weekends, where you can get the same sort of experience with the food (and wine pairings if you want them).

$70 plus $35 for wine pairings, so it's a bit less than the signature dinners cost.

I don't know if they will be holding these on the weekends previously occupied by the signature dinners. But you can't reserve the chef's table online at this time, just by calling WDW-DINE.

Thanks for the analysis. I estimated when the booth lists came out but I estimated high. Good to know, since we plan to try one of everything. :thumbsup2

I seem to be right on with my estimations. However, I still have wiggle room because my "food and wine" "meal" budget was separate from that days "snack", "booze", and "drink" budgets... but I doubt I will have enough room after all the food and wine goodies to actually take advantage of the other categories!

... And where do cocktails fit into this?

I didn't split out the cocktails because what I labeled (or didn't) as a cocktail, others may or may not. (e.g. are coolers and slushes counted?)

Anyway, last year, I counted 12 cocktails for a total of $70.75.

This year, I counted 20 cocktails for a total of $137.25

Ed

Ed, thanks so much for the cost estimate. I think I can save a bit of cash by not purchasing all 49 alcoholic beverages.........well in one day, anyway!

Played with it this morning. Really can't see a use for it so I figure after we get over the "fun" it's going to die a quick death.

true... I guess for me I was using it more for planning, that I would while I was there...:confused3 I will be too busy eating and drinking to play with my phone...

No lack of knowledge..most "apps" are just mobile websites anyway.
No. There's a fundamental difference between a mobile website and an app.

A mobile website is simply a website that's designed to be usable on a small-screen device such as a smart phone. A mobile website uses the device's built in browser, such as Safari on an iPhone or iPod Touch. A mobile website cannot be accessed when there's no Internet connection (WiFi, 3G, 4G, whatever).

An app is an application -- a computer program designed for the device. Some apps are only useful when connected to the Internet. Airline apps tend to fall in this category. Some apps are stand-alone and are fully functional offline. And some are are a hybrid, offering static information even without an Internet connection, but with updates and/or interactive functions when connected to the Internet.

Disney's Food & Wine link the other day is a mobile website, and nothing more.

No. There's a fundamental difference between a mobile website and an app.

A mobile website is simply a website that's designed to be usable on a small-screen device such as a smart phone. A mobile website uses the device's built in browser, such as Safari on an iPhone or iPod Touch. A mobile website cannot be accessed when there's no Internet connection (WiFi, 3G, 4G, whatever).

An app is an application -- a computer program designed for the device. Some apps are only useful when connected to the Internet. Airline apps tend to fall in this category. Some apps are stand-alone and are fully functional offline. And some are are a hybrid, offering static information even without an Internet connection, but with updates and/or interactive functions when connected to the Internet.

Disney's Food & Wine link the other day is a mobile website, and nothing more.

I know what the difference is...never said they were the same thing.

I was simply trying to make the poster feel a bit better and not feel like they had a lack of knowledge.

Perhaps if all of us did this more often, people would get along better on the boards!

:goodvibes

I was simply trying to make the poster feel a bit better and not feel like they had a lack of knowledge.

Perhaps if all of us did this more often, people would get along better on the boards!

Plus....IMO ( and note that I am not an IT professional like ScoJo who deals with this daily)...but just as a user...the term "app" has now become something like calling a tissue "kleenex". It's become the basic term used for shortcuts of any type..native app or web app or whatever...on a smart phone or iTouch etc. Just wanted to add that for those of us who are not in the know....the term app is just a catch all. Bottom line is that for a free "app" it will likely be a mobile website since you don't have to create the wheel for all different types of platforms over and over which is time consuming for the creator.

*Crawling back to my non-techie cave now*

The word out now (which I don't know for sure because I haven't gotten my call yet) is that all the Cat Cora signatures are being cancelled.

Kouzzina has a "chefs table" which I think is just on weekends, where you can get the same sort of experience with the food (and wine pairings if you want them).

$70 plus $35 for wine pairings, so it's a bit less than the signature dinners cost.

I don't know if they will be holding these on the weekends previously occupied by the signature dinners. But you can't reserve the chef's table online at this time, just by calling WDW-DINE.

Thanks for the info.! I am bummed that we won't get to see her. Hoping that they will cancel as you have heard. I don't want to pay celebrity price for a non-celebrity event.

Thank you, as a 58 year old non-techie who just got a just got a smart phone a week ago, I appreciate your help and your attitude. Although I know I'm going to love it (already do), I'm also slightly overwhelmed with the learning curve.

Oops, realized this post is not about Food and Wine, so let me add that I'm looking forward to sending pics of the Festival (via my new phone) to all my friends.

So...a question for all you Party for the Senses veterans. We are scheduled for Party and Wine View.....we are not at the BWV which we had hoped, we are at SSR. I believe Epcot will be closed when Party is over.....do they just turn you loose at the end of the party into the park to head to bus area? Are the buses still running then since the park closes at 9? Just wondering what the easiest way back to SSR is.....Thanks in advance!

I assure you and everyone else involved in this discussion that I was not trying to make anyone feel bad. I only wanted to clear up misinformation.

I don't see how misinforming a novice smartphone user that "most 'apps' are just mobile websites anyway" is doing anyone a favor. Apps and mobile websites two different things, and it's good to understand that.

I hope everyone enjoys the Food and Wine Festival. Turn off you smartphone and have a glass of wine. :)

So...a question for all you Party for the Senses veterans. We are scheduled for Party and Wine View.....we are not at the BWV which we had hoped, we are at SSR. I believe Epcot will be closed when Party is over.....do they just turn you loose at the end of the party into the park to head to bus area? Are the buses still running then since the park closes at 9? Just wondering what the easiest way back to SSR is.....Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure which Sat. you are attending, but Epcot is open until 10:00 on 10/8 and 10/15 :)

I don't think the Party ever runs after park closing. The party ends in time for Illuminations. What is your Party date?

After I thought about it some more......I realized that the park is open till 10 that night.....for some reason I had it in my head that the party lasted till 11pm. We will be there October 8th so we are good! Thanks guys for your quick responses!

Another ?? though. We were told to check in at the American Pavilion for the concert at 4:45pm. After the concert do we just go straight to where the party is and "hang out" until 7:15? That is a long time to just stand around.....do we really need to stand in line all that time....we paid for the Wine View Lounge so.....

They start urging you out before Illuminations starts, and they close after Illuminations ends (as I have been in there while Illuminations is going on before - but by then they are shutting down and cleaning up.

Yes, the buses will still be running. They run for up to an hour after park closing. You may want to wait awhile anyway, so that the lines for the buses are not as long as they will be right after the hordes depart after Illuminations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter