2012 Honeymoon

bluedevilinaz

DIS Veteran
Hey guys,

My fiance' and I are getting married in September or November 2012 and are planning on going to WDW :-)cool1::banana:) for our honeymoon for mid-December 2012(might have to move it depending on our work schedules). We're trying to stay under $5k for the whole trip(airfare included). She has never been to WDW or DL before(We're going to DL sometime next year, probably right after the wedding) and I haven't been to WDW since 1996. Any ideas on what hotels would be the best deal and whether we should do the regular dining plan or the deluxe dining plan? I know I'm planning this WAY in advance but I want to pick your guys' brains before we book anything. Last time I was there we stayed off site at my parents timeshare. This time I want to stay on site and just spend time together. I was looking around on the WDW website playing with prices and staying at the POP for 10 days with the regular DP was ~$1400 and with the DxDP its ~$3500! Is it really worth getting the DxDP for $2k more? Thanks in advance guys!

-Brett

Hey Brett! Congrats!! I don't think you're planning too far ahead! :) Depending when you go down, both Sept and Nov are a little busy and if you can research all of your restaurants sooner than later, you can make all of your dining reservations at 180 days out and get in everywhere you want! :goodvibes

The Deluxe Dining Plan will give you 3 table service meals per day. To me that is a lot of food and I don't think in the 40-50+ times I've been to the world that I've sat down at a restaurant for all 3 meals. If you're all about that, then go for it! But that is why it's so much more :) The regular dining plan gives you one table service (we usually use for dinner), counter service (usually use for lunch) and a snack (could use for a yogurt etc for bfast or a true snack later in the afternoon etc) There is also a quick service dining plan where you get I think either 2 or 3 counter service's per day and a refillable cup for soda.

If you're staying at Pop, there arent any table service restaurants there, so you'd constantly have to go somewhere else on the Deluxe Dining Plan for all of your meals which may be a pain if you just want to relax. I personally would rather have the lower dining plan and spend more to stay at a nicer resort, (just my opinion!)

What parks do you think you'll want to spend the most time in? If you go the end of September or early November, the Food and Wine Festival may be going on and you may want to try and stay at the Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach Club (maybe even try renting points or find someone on here who has a room block so you could potentially use our discounted rates!)

Depending how much you want to eat, you may not need the dining plan at all! We used to get it and two visits ago we decided to test it and see if it was really a deal for us. We went to all of our favorite and best restaurants, but didn't get everything the dining plan gives you (app, dinner and a dessert). We found we spent about the same as the dining plan, BUT we were able to get drinks and tip included for the same amount that the dining plan was and the DP doesnt include drinks or tip. Just something to think about it based on your own preferences!! :goodvibes

Happy Honeymoon-ing!

duh, just read you said December! Sorry, it's early! :goodvibes
Ignore my F&W fest comments! I want to say the first week of Dec isnt too crowded but closer to the holidays obviously is. I'm sure others will chime in on that! :)

Hey Brett! Congrats!! I don't think you're planning too far ahead! :) Depending when you go down, both Sept and Nov are a little busy and if you can research all of your restaurants sooner than later, you can make all of your dining reservations at 180 days out and get in everywhere you want! :goodvibes

The Deluxe Dining Plan will give you 3 table service meals per day. To me that is a lot of food and I don't think in the 40-50+ times I've been to the world that I've sat down at a restaurant for all 3 meals. If you're all about that, then go for it! But that is why it's so much more :) The regular dining plan gives you one table service (we usually use for dinner), counter service (usually use for lunch) and a snack (could use for a yogurt etc for bfast or a true snack later in the afternoon etc) There is also a quick service dining plan where you get I think either 2 or 3 counter service's per day and a refillable cup for soda.

If you're staying at Pop, there arent any table service restaurants there, so you'd constantly have to go somewhere else on the Deluxe Dining Plan for all of your meals which may be a pain if you just want to relax. I personally would rather have the lower dining plan and spend more to stay at a nicer resort, (just my opinion!)

What parks do you think you'll want to spend the most time in? If you go the end of September or early November, the Food and Wine Festival may be going on and you may want to try and stay at the Boardwalk or Yacht & Beach Club (maybe even try renting points or find someone on here who has a room block so you could potentially use our discounted rates!)

Depending how much you want to eat, you may not need the dining plan at all! We used to get it and two visits ago we decided to test it and see if it was really a deal for us. We went to all of our favorite and best restaurants, but didn't get everything the dining plan gives you (app, dinner and a dessert). We found we spent about the same as the dining plan, BUT we were able to get drinks and tip included for the same amount that the dining plan was and the DP doesnt include drinks or tip. Just something to think about it based on your own preferences!! :goodvibes

Happy Honeymoon-ing!

duh, just read you said December! Sorry, it's early! :goodvibes
Ignore my F&W fest comments! I want to say the first week of Dec isnt too crowded but closer to the holidays obviously is. I'm sure others will chime in on that! :)

Thanks! Good to know on the reservations. :)

We won't eat a whole lot so it sounds like the counter service one is the way to go. Thanks for that info. We'll have to discuss it again and see which one we want to stay at for the money we saved(we were thinking the contemporary but gotta re-price things out again and also see if we get a PIN for a free DP closer to the date). :)

I'm not sure which parks we'll be at most. We're going to try to cover them all but we're not going to push ourselves. She wants to spend at least a half day at the spa and I told her go right ahead, I'll go spend that time wandering the parks. haha. I personally have 0 interest in doing a spa day when I could be off exploring and hanging out with friends.

Speaking of spa's, is there one you guys would recommend at any of the hotels at the park?

Thanks again!

-Brett

Ok well first good place to come many of us are disney trip planners!

Dining Plan: To me the dining plan just simply is not worth it. It is a lot of food and if you are not going to eat that much then you just don't need it. To be perfectly honest the counter service food is just not that much money and I would rather just pay for it out of pocket. It is best to price it out that is what me and DF have done and we just do not do dining plans.

Hotels: This is all based on what you like but keep in mind in december some resorts have better christmas decor than others. The contemporary tends to lack in it's christmas decor and if you are going for your honeymoon I recommend not staying in anywhere less than a moderate. This is just for comfort reasons. However, I will recommend possibly renting DVC points because this will allow you to stay at a deluxe usually for a better rate than you would get at christmas time. Or even try and use someone's wedding room block it will help them and you out.

I am a wilderness lodge person!

hope this helps

Teresa

Hm, if you don't plan to eat a ton, even the counter service DP might be too much food. They still give you a side, drink, dessert and meal. Sounds like you'd be better off without a dining plan, then you can eat where you want when you feel like and etc. Up to you!!

For spa's the Grand is closed due to the expansion, and to me the only real spa's at at Saratoga Springs or the Mandara Spa at the Dolphin. There are other "salon & spa's" at the hotel, but they are basic and not a real "spa" experience that you'll get with these other two. Depends how much money she/you wants to spend but these two definitely have a lot of options! :goodvibes You could surprise her with booking a couples massage! DF and I had our first together at the Mandara Spa at the Grand Californian in Disneyland and now he is hooked!!! :banana:

Thanks for all the information guys! We really appreciate it! Looks like we'll just wait and see if we can get a PIN code for a free DP. haha.

Ok well first good place to come many of us are disney trip planners!

Dining Plan: To me the dining plan just simply is not worth it. It is a lot of food and if you are not going to eat that much then you just don't need it. To be perfectly honest the counter service food is just not that much money and I would rather just pay for it out of pocket. It is best to price it out that is what me and DF have done and we just do not do dining plans.

Hotels: This is all based on what you like but keep in mind in december some resorts have better christmas decor than others. The contemporary tends to lack in it's christmas decor and if you are going for your honeymoon I recommend not staying in anywhere less than a moderate. This is just for comfort reasons. However, I will recommend possibly renting DVC points because this will allow you to stay at a deluxe usually for a better rate than you would get at christmas time. Or even try and use someone's wedding room block it will help them and you out.

I am a wilderness lodge person!

hope this helps

Teresa

After doing some browsing around it looks like we're probably going to be renting DVC points from David's Vacation Club Rentals pending we are able to go. We may be putting the honeymoon on hold until the following year. *sigh* Being a planning type person I like to have dates nailed down well enough in advance(usually 6+months) or I start getting nervous that we won't be able to get what we want. We have all but decided to stay in a studio at BLT preferably with a view of the MK. I guess we'll see what is available when we are able to pay for it. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions! I'm always open to suggestions for romantic things to do while we're there.

For your honeymoon, this is the one time you should go all out there are no do over's with your honeymoon, I would go for DDXDP, that way you can have breakfast with the character's ( or lunch) and use 2 ts for signature dinning, very long lesuirely romanic meals. You can start out life with a bang, soon enough..... comes real life. This is your time make the most of it.

As far a $$ with the DDXDpP - DH and I always do this, he like's the fact that it is paid for up front. For us it well worth it. That way any cash gift that you might get for your wedding can go into savings or for someone that you might really need.

Congrat's and lots of Pixie dust coming your way.

Congrats!!!! My fiance and I are also planning on getting married September of 2012 and honeymooning in WDW! We're planning on going in October for the Food & Wine Festival!

When we go to WDW, we always stay Value or Moderate, but for our honeymoon we're thinking about renting DVC points!

We're also planning on doing a Honeymoon Registry, so that should help out with cost!

Hey guys and gals! Sorry I've been absent for so long. Was in the process of moving to California for a new job. :D Good news is I now live about 2 hours from DL and am gainfully employed again! Now, to start saving for the wedding and honeymoon. We finally settled on September 2nd, 2012 as our date. We're having the wedding at my cousins house to save on money. We still need a caterer, some chairs and tables, her dress, my tux and a few other things but it's getting there!

Hello! I want to kind of echo what others have said about the necessity (or lack thereof) of the dining plan. I have never gotten the dining plan but I know others who have, and it just isn't a great deal unless you are a massive eater. Even then, you aren't really SAVING money, you're just pre-paying the same amount you otherwise would spend. My mom and i often eat kid's meals to save a few bucks, and the portions are generally big enough for most adults!

If you want to stay at Pop, that would work great in mid-December. Early December is the Pop Warner Football and cheerleading tournaments, which brings LOTS of tweens and kids to the value resorts. The second week in December sees these kids leaving and there aren't the crowds for Christmas yet. If you want a more romantic ambiance, a sprawling moderate like Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans Riverside can give you more privacy and better landscaped grounds to meander. Caribbean Beach also has lots of nooks and crannies with private hammocks and such. It's not too expensive because there are usually deals that time of year.

If you want to splurge on a romantic dinner, I highly recommend Victoria & Albert's. My husband and I went there the night after our wedding and it was outstanding. It requires formal attire so plan ahead, but well worth the money ($125/person) in my opinion!

Have fun planning! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter