2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

I just finished the Scorch Trials (part of the Maze Runner series). My goal is 25 and that was book 15. I'll finish that series eventually. Next up is City of Bones.

Goal - 24 books

Book #13 - White by Ted Dekker - It was pre-apocalypse and post-apocalypse, international intrigue and fantasy all wrapped up in one story. The other books in the series were frustrating cliff-hangers so I was glad that this one had a satisfactory conclusion. Maybe that's why I feel like this was the best one of the group so far. Or, maybe it's just that it's been so long since I read the other books that all remember is how aggravated I was when they didn't end. The epilogue teased the plot lines left to explore in the fourth and final book of the series. :thumbsup2

Next up - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - It's YA but it seems to be well reviewed by old adults so I'll give it a shot. Even if it does turn out to be simplistic at least it will be a quick read allowing me to finish my 14th book and stay on track for my reading goal. :duck:

Goal - 100 Books

Book #43 - The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.

This book is a collection of essays/short stories revolving around the author's time as a soldier in Viet Nam. It was beautifully written... seriously, some of the most incredible writing I've read since "Unbroken." The subject matter was serious, and at times, disturbing. I would recommend this book to anyone.

Book #44 - Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

I don't know why I didn't read this book when it first came out. I wish I had! It was a very well-written book! I've held off watching the movie until I read it, so now I'm interested in seeing it. Sayuri is a former geisha who tells her story. Life is not always glamorous, as a geisha, and she gives us a glimpse into the everyday nitty gritty details. I loved it!

Next up: Dark Passage by Ridley Pearson

I've really got to kick it into high gear if I want to make my goal! Life has gotten in the way of my reading!

Goal 72

#47 The Ask & The Answer by Patrick Ness
#48 Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

The final two of the Chaos Walking trilogy.
Loved the first 2 books. Even tho these are long books they easily kept my interest. But the third & last book just kinda drug on & on, lol.
I would recommend the series tho maybe not read them back to back.

I'm stumped on what to read. Started The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (there's some light-hearted reading), decided I couldn't just yet coming off of Unbroken. Then I started reading a fluff book about wacky American history. Got about 1/2 way through and decided I wanted to read a story. Then started a book about Victorian Life but it's not a story but papers and newsprint and such.

I don't know where to go from here. Help!! Not really feeling in a mystery or thriller mood. Maybe a period piece that has a bit of a scandal to it. ;)

I'm stumped on what to read. Started The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich (there's some light-hearted reading), decided I couldn't just yet coming off of Unbroken. Then I started reading a fluff book about wacky American history. Got about 1/2 way through and decided I wanted to read a story. Then started a book about Victorian Life but it's not a story but papers and newsprint and such.

I don't know where to go from here. Help!! Not really feeling in a mystery or thriller mood. Maybe a period piece that has a bit of a scandal to it. ;)

I wish I could help but I doubt you want to read about young Christian women, I mean we are talking 15, she gets to be 20 and married but still thinking you would not like it. But best of luck.

Goal: 75 books this year.

#64 down and done.

As They Slept by Andy Leeks. The inspiration for this book was a Facebook argument Leeks had with a friend when Leeks suggested that people who slept on commuter trains were wasting their lives. To prove his point that much could be accomplished during this time, Leeks decided that he would do some creative writing every commute for a year. This book covers the period from mid-September to mid-December 2012, with the promise (threat?) of a second installment in mid-March 2013 (I haven't seen it yet).

These entries are a series of short essays covering everything from losing weight, returning unwanted gifts, moving Halloween to June, why Leeks hates small talk. He says goodbye to his grandfather, reflects on the need to put other people first, is humbled by the beauty and elegance of the world outside his commuter train window.

It's not a profound book by any stretch of the imagination, but it was entertaining and I'll look for the follow-up.

Queen Colleen

phorsenuf said:

You can read something by Phillippa Gregory. Historical fiction, yet light. Very scandalous!

88/150 - You Don't Want to Know by Lisa Jackson. This was a very good suspense book, a real page-turner. I'd recommend it.

phorsenuf said:
What would you recommend?

The Other Boleyn Girl is great. I'm currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance. So far so good. It's about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, Henry the 8th's fourth and fifth wives respectively.

The Other Boleyn Girl seems to be her most widely popular. It is a good read.

The Other Boleyn Girl is great. I'm currently reading The Boleyn Inheritance. So far so good. It's about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, Henry the 8th's fourth and fifth wives respectively.

Thank you soooo much for the recommendation! I bought this last night, which for me is huge because I'm cheap when it comes to books. :rotfl: It has been such a great read so far. I didn't want to stop but when 1:30am rolled around I figured I'd better! This is exactly the type of book I was looking for. Thanks again!

Thank you soooo much for the recommendation! I bought this last night, which for me is huge because I'm cheap when it comes to books. :rotfl: It has been such a great read so far. I didn't want to stop but when 1:30am rolled around I figured I'd better! This is exactly the type of book I was looking for. Thanks again!

I am glad you found something you could not put down

phorsenuf said:

Yay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter