2014/2015 Beach and Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun, Sept 2014-Mayl 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just booked us for 3 nights at the BC following our Disney Cruise next April... 4/25-4/28!! Can't wait!! Now, I am going to try not to worry too much about refurbs going on. :cool1:

Our delayed and little review of our YC stay. We were there the last full week of August and overall, we had a really great time and much fun was had. We were in room 5163 which was over on the gazebo side. Loved that we were down a nice quiet hall and had a room on the corner. I was surprised though that it didn’t have a balcony and while I was originally bummed to not have one, the quietness of the area and short walk to the lounge certainly made up for it and we didn't miss it at all. I thought the condition of the room was fine. I didn’t go looking for wear and nothing obvious jumped out at me. I did notice what others had mentioned with dirty dishes being left in the hall. I saw that a plenty and don’t get why they sit for hours. I did see the carpet cleaning vehicle riding up and down the halls more than once so they were cleaning a lot too.

On to the lounge and the drink situation. We never had a problem with getting beers any time we wanted, and didn’t have issues with getting more than two, although we never asked for more than two at once and didn’t need to since we could get them at any time. I didn’t like the drink cart. I thought the whole set-up and having to go ask for a drink was just awkward. It did not come across as being treated or served while on vacation, just more of an inconvenience and like we were monitored. The location in the hall even looked silly. I did find the lounge on the small side and there was often not enough space for all that were in there. I definitely noticed cut backs in the food, both in quantity and variety.

What kind of cutbacks did you notice? Just curious.

I also am not too thrilled about the drink cart. I definitely would prefer to just get a drink for myself as well. I wonder if they will continue to keep that up?

Well I posted when we got here on Wednesday & we are in the last couple of days here now, leaving Wednesday morning. The first & best piece of advice is if you get room 5669 request another room! It is next to the service elevator & it is loud! Plus, mouse keeping staff love to stand in front of our door & chat at 730 in the morning! We don't have kids with us & didn't feel like moving so we stayed put. It was bad though. Room was in great shape, had an awesome view of sb & a full balcony. We are club level & it's our first time doing it. My husband is a big beer drinker so this was the main reason for trying it. He could get beer whenever he wanted. Never a problem. 2 at a time, & we had a fridge so he put some in for when we returned after 10. I had 2 issues with cl. One was my husbands seafood allergy. When we checked in he spoke with the chef & was told that when there is seafood to have the cast member call down for fresh food that wasn't prepared with the seafood. Did that & waited 20 minutes & gave up. Did mention it the next day to the girl that checked us in & she apologized & said to try again if it happened again. We did & that cast member said ok give me a minute, only to come back 10 minutes later to say chef said don't eat the veggie rolls since they could have been cooked with seafood. Uh yeah we know that! That's why I explained the whole thing to you & asked you to get him a fresh batch. Ugh, hubby was just annoyed at that point so we gave up & he had no hot apps at all. My other complaint is that it's the same stuff every day! Maybe they changed out the one Danish type in the morning & the hot apps were a little different. Is it worth the extra 100 bucks a day? Not sure for me, but hubby loved it! Never did cl before so I have nothing to compare it to. We did get bottles of water, but had to ask for them. They are doing away with the bottles though once renovations are done. Moving to a water filtration system. Oh & I forgot to mention there wasn't a beer cart, it was help yourself from 5-7, anytime before or after you just had to ask. Here for a few more days so just ask if you have any questions!

That sounds so disappointing! We just returned from AKL CL and loved it. They were so accommodating with our dietary issues. It's hard enough when you have allergies without being told 'just don't eat', which is what it feels like sometimes.

Oh which chef(s) are there?

What kind of cutbacks did you notice? Just curious.

I also am not too thrilled about the drink cart. I definitely would prefer to just get a drink for myself as well. I wonder if they will continue to keep that up?

AKL CL has been a total spread. A couple nicely sized hot offerings a night, generous cheese platter, variety of humus, salad, usually a cold something too. YC was bare - and I'm talking a lot of empty counter space between what was offered and then a lot smaller portions of what was (the beef skewers were smaller than quarters) and then a lot less variety in general. YC had two small sized hot apps, the same old feta/tomato/olive salad nightly, two small amounts of cheese, and then a little chilled glass of something cold. While it sounds the same, what was put out was sparse. AKL also had more in the kids offerings too.

In the morning, the yogurt was in teeny cups, and then the fresh fruit looked more like an after thought.

Food is only a small part of why we like CL, but even the kids commented it was a downgrade from years past.

We cancelled our beach vacation in May and just rescheduled at Disney! We're staying May 1 - 9 BC CL. We're still planning on coming next Dec, too, so our dates can stay listed for Dec 2015 as well.

So excited! I couldn't stand the thought of being at the beach for a week when we could be at Disney :)

Just a little over two weeks until I hit the BC! So excited :cool1:

Kind of random question that I just can't seem to remember...I am going for the TOT 10 miler so powerade is important for pre-race hydration. But, the red flavor upsets my stomach a bit. Can anyone remember which flavor they have at the pool and/or marketplace? I know some resorts have red and some blue but just can't seem to remember which is where!

Just a little over two weeks until I hit the BC! So excited :cool1:

Kind of random question that I just can't seem to remember...I am going for the TOT 10 miler so powerade is important for pre-race hydration. But, the red flavor upsets my stomach a bit. Can anyone remember which flavor they have at the pool and/or marketplace? I know some resorts have red and some blue but just can't seem to remember which is where!

Research Fail!!!

I didn't take a picture of the drinks offered in the refill stations at either the Marketplace or Hurricane Hanna's during my trip in August.

:sad2:

But I did take picture of all the drink cases, and both red and blue PowerAde are available by the bottle.

I just looked at a picture I took at the HH refill station in July 2013 and at that time it was Blue PowerAde in the dispenser. I don't have any close-ups of the MP beverage dispenser, so I'm not sure what is offered there.

:goodvibes

I can check the Powerade out when we are there next week. It was blue when we were there in March.

Research Fail!!!

I didn't take a picture of the drinks offered in the refill stations at either the Marketplace or Hurricane Hanna's during my trip in August.

:sad2:

But I did take picture of all the drink cases, and both red and blue PowerAde are available by the bottle.

I just looked at a picture I took at the HH refill station in July 2013 and at that time it was Blue PowerAde in the dispenser. I don't have any close-ups of the MP beverage dispenser, so I'm not sure what is offered there.

:goodvibes

I can check the Powerade out when we are there next week. It was blue when we were there in March.

Thank you both! Looks like from your posts historically BC rolls with blue so I will keep my fingers crossed! And at least if not, I can buy some in the store. Or maybe invade the BWI bakery and see if they have it!

I'm not sure I can handle the suspense of the next two weeks. :bitelip: It just became fall overnight in Ohio and I am already missing the sun!

I know some of the resorts threads report that you should fax room requests directly to the resort a few days before your stay. It sounds like CBR, and POR still utilize the faxes. Does anyone know if BCR does this?

Thanks!

I know some of the resorts threads report that you should fax room requests directly to the resort a few days before your stay. It sounds like CBR, and POR still utilize the faxes. Does anyone know if BCR does this?

Thanks!

They do not.

:)

So I need to make a change to our reservation for BC. We were going to stay CL but decided to save some money and used some of our DVC points and was able to get the same dates in a Deluxe Studio.
So same dates just a different room.
We are definitely looking forward to trying out BC, especially the pool :)

I'm possibly thinking of doing breakfast with my husband DS4 DD2 and DS1 at captains grille one morning before heading to MK. I don't think we would know for sure what time/ if we go until that morning. Is it easy to do a early morning walk-in for breakfast there?? Thanks in advance!!

I'm possibly thinking of doing breakfast with my husband DS4 DD2 and DS1 at captains grille one morning before heading to MK. I don't think we would know for sure what time/ if we go until that morning. Is it easy to do a early morning walk-in for breakfast there?? Thanks in advance!!

Last time I was there an early walk in was no issue for me. Down side is that it doesn't open until 7:30 so not as early as the sit down place at GF. I got there at 7:15 morning, waited fifteen minutes in the lobby for it to open and got right in. There was about three other tables filled. That was in early December.

Last time I was there an early walk in was no issue for me. Down side is that it doesn't open until 7:30 so not as early as the sit down place at GF. I got there at 7:15 morning, waited fifteen minutes in the lobby for it to open and got right in. There was about three other tables filled. That was in early December.

Thank you so much!

FWIW, it has nothing to do with your procrastination, as they've cancelled all the Tuesday premium packages. Had you booked it earlier, you would have gotten a call telling you that it was no longer available. I believe there is a thread on the Dining boards about the Tuesday cancellations and all the consternation it's causing people who actually had booked it.

I understand they canceled all the Tuesday night premium packages. I'm saying that if I had not procrastinated and booked it before they were all canceled, at least I would have gotten the other benefits to the package and taken the discount for not being able to attend the Thursday event. I would've liked to still have get the magic band, the gifts at check-in, the access to the premium areas, the $50 gift card, and just taken the discount.

I used to make ressies for breakfast, but I always saw people just walking up and it never seemed too packed. So, I stopped doing it a few trips ago and have never not been seated right away.

I'm checking in on Saturday. I requested connecting rooms(with the door between them) since my family will be split into two rooms. Has anyone requested this and not gotten it? We have garden view.

page 14-15

I will have you know that the animals made it safely to town and back to the farm.

The guy on the left is Cloud, and he is an Angora goat (not a sheep) and the one on the right is Virgil, a Shetland sheep

:)

It sounds like you need to visit Newport, RI. We have the SVF Foundation that preserves heritage breeds. Every year they hold an open house for one day and us locals can get a gander at all the rare breeds and see how the place operates.

from the website:
"SVF was founded in 1999 by Mrs. Dorrance H. Hamilton and is a non-profit operating foundation. The Foundation is located in Newport, Rhode Island, on two historic properties totaling 45 acres. The main campus was formerly Arthur Curtiss James’ Surprise Valley Farm (or Swiss Village to the locals), with an adjacent 11-acre site, formerly part of Hammersmith Farm. The facility’s 15 buildings include exquisitely renovated animal buildings, a procedures laboratory, an infirmary, a cryo-room, offices and residences."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter