(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
all great ideas!!!! thank you!

I read something about going through security at the resort, so you don't have to do that outside the MK. Is that correct? Is there a different line for GF guests to get through? I'm a little confused about all this!
You would board the monorail by going out the front doors of the lobby on the 2nd floor. You would go through security right there. Then you get on the monoraii. You would not have to go through security again at the MK. (Note: if you go on to Epcot, you do have to go through security again.)

I was just going to mention that you should book the tea! What an amazing and truly "grand" experience. I've also heard great things about Ivy Trellis - if grandma is feeling very generous maybe your little princess could get a hairdo before tea time for a day she'll never forget

I've never heard about that before, so will definitely look into it - thank you!

Thanks ya’ll!! So I’m thinking I will keep Garden view since it sounds like we “possibly” could get a room not far from main building. And great to know about the couch! Will definitely be making that my 4 year olds bed! You guys are very helpful ;)

Thanks ya’ll!! So I’m thinking I will keep Garden view since it sounds like we “possibly” could get a room not far from main building. And great to know about the couch! Will definitely be making that my 4 year olds bed! You guys are very helpful ;)

Just as an FYI, in our opinion there isn't a single room at GF that is far from the Main building. Or far from anything for that matter.

Hello all! I have always dreamed of a stay at GF, but can never convince the family to switch from the BW. We are planning a trip in November, and I am contemplating heading down a couple of days earlier than the rest of the family, with my 7 year old granddaughter, and treating us to a stay at GF. Now I'm wondering if 2 nights will be enough. In my mind, I'm thinking sleep in a little (enough trips under our belt to be passed the rope-drops!), enjoy some pool time (we've only ever visited in January before, and it wasn't particularly warm); sticking to only MK and doing all the rides that the rest of the adult-family never want to "waste" time on. Just wondering if/what might be good for a 7 year old at the resort? Should I plan on 3 nights?

What a great plan! Any amount of time at the GF is great, but if it's possible to extend it another night, I'd do it. Enjoy the planning :).

We’ve stayed in Big Pine and Boca Chica. The standard garden rooms are courtyard pool views and those buildings are just across the lawn from the main building. I think they’re great locations. We’ve also had a lagoon view in Big Pine. We faced The Poly. It was nice, but imo not worth the extra $. You are also next to the Courtyard pool, and a short walk from Beach Pool.

I agree ;).

I think the the Grand Floridian might be the ideal spot for a grandmother/granddaughter trip.

Things to consider
1) You two can go to “high tea” in the lobby. The Tea event is pricey but gets good reviews. There might be one seating that is friendlier to kids.
2) Go to a character meal at 1900 Park Faire. I think it is a Mary Poppins theme or a Cinderella theme depending on which meal you go to.
3) Two great pools. One has a great slide feature that kids love.
4) There is the Royal Princess Parade, led by Cinderella and Prince CHarming. See this post. https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...t-disneys-grand-floridian-resort-spa.3493412/ But be sure to check on the dates it is offered. It is no longer available every day. Check with the concierge desk to find out when it is running.
5) Ride the monorail. You could visit the other monorail resorts, go shopping, etc.
6) Narcoosies is a very nice meal. If you stay until the time of the Magic Kingdom Fireworks, you can walk outside to the dock outside Narcoosies and watch the fireworks with the music piped in.
7) If you are comfortable with boats, you can rent an inexpensive pontoon boat and explore Bay Lake and 7 Seas Lagoon.
8) Grab a chair in the lobby and listen to the Grand Floridian SOciety Orchestra, which plays in the lobby. Your granddaughter might prefer to watch them from the railing of the 2nd floor so she can watch the musicians play their instruments.
9) If you don’t want a deluxe restaurant, go to the Quick Service - Gasparillas - You can watch the fireworks with music from here, too.

Have a great time!

All great suggestions ::yes::

I was just going to mention that you should book the tea! What an amazing and truly "grand" experience. I've also heard great things about Ivy Trellis - if grandma is feeling very generous maybe your little princess could get a hairdo before tea time for a day she'll never forget

Cute idea about Ivy Trellis :).

You won't be disappointed! Hope you have a great time and enjoy the GF :wizard:.

Just as an FYI, in our opinion there isn't a single room at GF that is far from the Main building. Or far from anything for that matter.

I agree! :thumbsup2

You would board the monorail by going out the front doors of the lobby on the 2nd floor. You would go through security right there. Then you get on the monoraii. You would not have to go through security again at the MK. (Note: if you go on to Epcot, you do have to go through security again.)

but what happens when we get off the monorail - do we go to a different line/gate?

but what happens when we get off the monorail - do we go to a different line/gate?

Nope, when you get off at MK you go straight to the tapstiles to enter the park! And if you get off at TTC or another resort, you go to wherever your plans take you. If you go to Epcot, you'll go through security again at Epcot before you enter the park (but you will not go through security at the TTC).

Nope, when you get off at MK you go straight to the tapstiles to enter the park! And if you get off at TTC or another resort, you go to wherever your plans take you. If you go to Epcot, you'll go through security again at Epcot before you enter the park (but you will not go through security at the TTC).

but how do they know you've already gone through security if you go straight to the tapstiles? when everyone comes off the monorail, its just one big gaggle of people, right? and some won't have gone through security already? sorry to sound so dumb...just trying to envision how it works

but how do they know you've already gone through security if you go straight to the tapstiles? when everyone comes off the monorail, its just one big gaggle of people, right? and some won't have gone through security already? sorry to sound so dumb...just trying to envision how it works

No worries. They changed the security screening checkpoints last year. Everyone is screened prior to getting on the monorail either at the resorts or at the TTC. They moved the security stations at MK further out so that MK security is basically checking those arriving by bus or by foot (walking from CR/BLT). Resort boats also have their own security checkpoints just like the resort monorail entry points if I remember correctly:scratchin If I missed something, I am sure someone will correct the record :goodvibes

No worries. They changed the security screening checkpoints last year. Everyone is screened prior to getting on the monorail either at the resorts or at the TTC. They moved the security stations at MK further out so that MK security is basically checking those arriving by bus or by foot (walking from CR/BLT). Resort boats also have their own security checkpoints just like the resort monorail entry points if I remember correctly:scratchin If I missed something, I am sure someone will correct the record :goodvibes

thank you!

When we were there in January the security screening for guests coming on boat transportation from the resorts was right as you get off the boat (in the dock awning area) at MK but before you get to the tapstiles.

When we were there in January the security screening for guests coming on boat transportation from the resorts was right as you get off the boat (in the dock awning area) at MK but before you get to the tapstiles.

These are both correct. In addition, people walking from CR to MK have their own little checkpoint on the walkway just before it gets to MK, separate from the security checkpoint for the resort buses.

So each arrival stream is checked separately - monorail & ferry at TTC or MK resorts before they get on, resort launches at MK dock immediately after they get off, buses after they get off, CR walkway just before they get to MK (and before they merge with any of the other streams). Very organized!

Now if they could only figure out how to reorganize Epcot so monorail passengers don't have to go through security again, along with bus and parking tram passengers....

That’s wonderful! The map can be deceiving I guess, we are WL people and are used to being in the same building as everything, GF just looked like it was pretty spread out, but glad to know it isn’t!

Okay- I just booked here four nights at a lagoon in April. At $417 a night I couldn't pass up the chance to go back to the GF. Anyhow, what building do you find to have the most spectacular views for the lagoon category? Any suggestions on requests? Thanks!

Okay- I just booked here four nights at a lagoon in April. At $417 a night I couldn't pass up the chance to go back to the GF. Anyhow, what building do you find to have the most spectacular views for the lagoon category? Any suggestions on requests? Thanks!
I'd pick big pine key because I would love to see poly . When I'm at poly I like to gaze at gf.

:rolleyes1:flower1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter