• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make such a valid and absolutely important point :laughing::drinking1

And on a side note... the bartenders are wonderful at GF... thought it should also be noted ;):rolleyes1:D
That is where we discovered Ace Pinepple hard cider! It is like a pineapple champagne vs sour like usual hard ciders.:goodvibes

At beach bar the regular bartender has been there for years . Chatting many years back we realized same college and year for graduation. ::yes::

That is where we discovered Ace Pinepple hard cider! It is like a pineapple champagne vs sour like usual hard ciders.:goodvibes

At beach bar the regular bartender has been there for years . Chatting many years back we realized same college and year for graduation. ::yes::

Get out?!! What a small world!!!! I might have to try that drink next time we go! Sounds good!!! (Wonder how it would taste with Pog juice?!!)

I know I'm in the GF thread so I can imagine the answers I'm going to get, but I'm asking anyway. :P I'm looking at a weekend trip, and my options are GF, Poly, Wilderness Lodge, and AKL. I'm leaning towards GF or Poly because they're on the monorail line. I've always wanted to stay at Poly but GF is actually cheaper for the dates I'm looking at! So, sell me on why I should stay at GF over Poly. No kids but I'm a sucker for a good pool (normally I stay at Yacht/Beach if at all possible) and adult beverages. :disrocks:

Another few points that may or may not figure into your decision....

GF rooms all have balconies(except for a precious few maybe??) where Poly second floor rooms have no balcony or patio. I like that the GF bathrooms are split with the sinks outside of the shower/toilet room. If something happens and you need to do a quick load of laundry, the W/Ds at GF are in each building (except SL) so it is quick from your room. At Poly, they are all in one building.

While I love the atmosphere at Poly--esp at night, I now prefer to just walk over from the GF to visit and go back to the tranquility of the GF. The Poly always seems so chaotic since they went DVC and added Trader Sams. JMHO DH and I also love the lobby music at GF whether it is someone playing the piano or the band--it is just so relaxing and entertaining.

Another few points that may or may not figure into your decision....

GF rooms all have balconies(except for a precious few maybe??) where Poly second floor rooms have no balcony or patio. I like that the GF bathrooms are split with the sinks outside of the shower/toilet room. If something happens and you need to do a quick load of laundry, the W/Ds at GF are in each building (except SL) so it is quick from your room. At Poly, they are all in one building.

While I love the atmosphere at Poly--esp at night, I now prefer to just walk over from the GF to visit and go back to the tranquility of the GF. The Poly always seems so chaotic since they went DVC and added Trader Sams. JMHO DH and I also love the lobby music at GF whether it is someone playing the piano or the band--it is just so relaxing and entertaining.
I agree with the balcony and bathroom:thumbsup2

What I love about gf's courtyard pool is the ability to consume your beverages while sitting IN THE POOL. YES they let you do this. There a bar plus some waiters. The beach pool is nice if you like a slide or a view of the lagoon.

I stay at both poly and gf every year now at least once. I love em both.My next stay is GF because it was lower in price and the poly trip I just booked for Labor Day was because then it was lower .

I love taking the boat for relaxing rides. I enjoy walking between the 2 resorts and eating and drinking at both. Can't go wrong with either IMO.
Last time we were there you were also allowed to have drinks in the Oasis pool at the Poly.

Staying at the Grand for the first time in October! Trying to plan our days now. Wanting to do Epcot for morning EMH, but worried about being able to get there early enough from GF. Thoughts? How early should we plan to be at monorail to arrive in time for opening?

I can't answer your question as we never do morning EMH, but wanted to say I hope you have a great trip and enjoy the GF :wizard:.

GF is $50 cheaper per night ($431 vs $382). I do love Epcot so that's something to take into consideration, thanks!

Good luck deciding :).

We were just asked by Disney to switch from beach club to gf due to large convention and more rooms are needed.we had booked a standard room at beach club at same price.we have never stayed at the gf before.we are traveling with our 4 year old grandson who is autistic.he can get restless at night and am asking for ideas on which building standard room I would guess should I request so that we can sit with him on a balcony so he can see lights or something to calm him. Thankyou in advance.

We were just asked by Disney to switch from beach club to gf due to large convention and more rooms are needed.we had booked a standard room at beach club at same price.we have never stayed at the gf before.we are traveling with our 4 year old grandson who is autistic.he can get restless at night and am asking for ideas on which building standard room I would guess should I request so that we can sit with him on a balcony so he can see lights or something to calm him. Thankyou in advance.
Sago has a nice view of the side and monorail. The rest face the interior courtyard or marina. I would go to check in and ask/explain.

My Boca Chica gv faced the pool AND the nightly outdoor movie. It was LOUD.

If you look at a map all the buildings for gv face the courtyard pool and noise except Sago. Then I remembered the side facing marina has the HEA fireworks music piped in at the gaspies Quick Service. So really Sago mono side your best bet.

It’s a lovely resort and mostly quiet for bus and mono pickup and walking around so I think he will enjoy that.

What kid doesn’t love to watch the mono whiz by? You will love it.

72BBA4D9-8B8E-4FD5-A3C9-8409D8C6F7B9.jpeg
Sago has a nice view of the side and monorail. The rest face the interior courtyard or marina. I would go to check in and ask/explain.

If you look at a map all the buildings for gv face the courtyard pool and noise except Sago. Then I remembered the side facing marina has the HEA fireworks music piped in at the gaspies Quick Service. So really Sago mono side your best bet.

It’s a lovely resort and mostly quiet for bus and mono pickup and walking around so I think he will enjoy that.

Side marked in red is best .

I agree with this! Sago Cay is a great location. The side facing the monorail is very quiet and watching the monorail glide by would be interesting to your grandson with Autism. I would also add that Sago is super close to Gaspie's for a quick bite to eat and also close to the transportation which can be key if needing to get back to your room quickly for your grandson to decompress after park stimulation.

Managed to snag a 2 bedroom villa at GF for two nights as part of our 12 night holiday in October / November and am so excited!!!

Currently six nights at BCV, three nights at SSR, two nights at GF just need to sort the last night. So looking forward to it, so fortunate.

Sounds like a great trip! Congrats on the 2 bedroom villa. Hope you have a great time, enjoy the rest of your planning :wizard:.

Settling back in to reality. Here to report back on what I saw with at Summer Lace/Commander Porter's this past week. I walked through both on Wednesday, 4/3 and saw sunglasses and items in the locked case in Commander Porter's being inventoried. I was in the GF lobby around 1:45am returning from DAH on 4/5 and saw Summer Lace getting updated. The mannequins outside now show male and female clothing in each of the three windows. All the displays in the main room show a male and female mannequin. The small room off to the right seems to be all female apparel and accessories while the main room is split about 50/50. The jewelry case to the left of the register is all female jewelry and the case to the right has male sunglasses, cuff links, etc. The store looks pretty good for an overnight haul. The new name on the board outside is escaping me. I think I have a picture somewhere I will try to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter