(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you!! We will have a 11 year old and 9 year old with us. When we stay at the resort, in the mornings or afternoons while we are there, we let them go to the quick service by themselves to refill mugs. As long as everything is within a good walking distance I think we will be fine.

I’d also recommend looking up YouTube videos of the property so you can get an actual visual of the distance of each building, and see if there’s one you prefer to stay in. That way, you can put in a room/building request on your reservation. 🙂

Yes, 2021 for the Villas. 👍🏻
Do we know when in 2021? Just moved (6th rescheduled trip) from Poly DVC to GF DVC in March 2021. I wanted Poly bad but dont want to risk them closing the main pool and more restaurants closed. Another poster on different board said that there is a stipulation with DVC and poly and they could close the whole resort and not have to keep DVC open. Yet I heard people were being moved there. I would think a Disney would not do that but they have done some pretty weird stuff lately. I feel bad for the people who have an October stay and just found out this week they had to move. Anyhow I really don’t want to spend money on DVC for Grand Floridian if it will be under construction either. Any suggestions for room preferences when staying at a standard DVC studio at GF?

Sorry you were moved, but the Grand is beautiful and the pools are great! I hope you enjoy it just as much, if not more! To be honest, view is simply your preference, but I feel like every building is walkable to the main bldg.! Check out the map and see which you’d prefer and go from there!! Hope you have a great trip!!!

View attachment 522979
From this map it looks like DVC building is close to the pools?

From this map it looks like DVC building is close to the pools?

Yes! The main pool is literally steps out the back door. Courtyard pool is a little further to the right of that one (when looking from the DVC building.) I can look and see if I have any pictures from my last room, if so I’ll post.

As far as the refurb, there is no set time right now, just 2021. It’s a ‘soft’ refurb, which means no construction or anything like that. It’s kind of like a freshen up. Sorry, I’m not aware of what they can do with the DVC side of Poly. I can’t imagine they can shut down the DVC resort side when owners are paying dues, but then again, I never read any of my contracts 😬 Did you try calling and ask?

ETA: here is a picture from our November DVC stay. That rock wall is the Beach Pool slide! Just exit out the back door, walk down that little covered path and then make a right and it’s right there... or....go out the back door, make a right and walk towards the beach... there’s a back gate to enter there, too! There’s also an amazing splash area if you have little ones!

B1607A32-4A70-437E-A2AD-7F346ABA8CF4.jpeg

Path towards beach/pool when exiting to the right out of the back door.

DB06ADC7-9563-4717-B7B0-4F5FE5370D60.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes! The main pool is literally steps out the back door. Courtyard pool is a little further to the right of that one (when looking from the DVC building.) I can look and see if I have any pictures from my last room, if so I’ll post.

As far as the refurb, there is no set time right now, just 2021. It’s a ‘soft’ refurb, which means no construction or anything like that. It’s kind of like a freshen up. Sorry, I’m not aware of what they can do with the DVC side of Poly. I can’t imagine they can shut down the DVC resort side when owners are paying dues, but then again, I never read any of my contracts 😬 Did you try calling and ask?

ETA: here is a picture from our November DVC stay. That rock wall is the Beach Pool slide! Just exit out the back door, walk down that little covered path and then make a right and it’s right there... or....go out the back door, make a right and walk towards the beach... there’s a back gate to enter there, too! There’s also an amazing splash area if you have little ones!

View attachment 523256

Path towards beach/pool when exiting to the right out of the back door.

View attachment 523257
Thanks so much! I rented points - I’m not the member- but member services told the owner that the info they have is the pool will be open. We just didn’t want to risk it. It’s so hard. There are so many mixed feelings on GF. Some say it’s so run down at DVC and then some say it’s beautiful.

Thanks so much! I rented points - I’m not the member- but member services told the owner that the info they have is the pool will be open. We just didn’t want to risk it. It’s so hard. There are so many mixed feelings on GF. Some say it’s so run down at DVC and then some say it’s beautiful.

Wow! I’ve never heard anyone call VGF run down, but if it makes you feel better, go on YouTube and look at videos of the villas from people who just stayed there! I was just there in November, and my room was far from run down. Good luck deciding!

Gosh I just really hope CL is back by the time we go next May, because losing out on the Poly half of our split is bad enough. I guess we could spring for a TPV instead if we can't be in the main building. I just want to have something special for my birthday. :(

Gosh I just really hope CL is back by the time we go next May, because losing out on the Poly half of our split is bad enough. I guess we could spring for a TPV instead if we can't be in the main building. I just want to have something special for my birthday. :(
Buy a really nice cake!

teehee

I miss cl too. Who knows? However there are so many ways to make a great trip!
I am hoping they add another GF restaurant when it opens 9/21.

Sorry if this has been answered before.
When fireworks are showing, do they pipe the music into the balconies of the non-club level theme park view rooms?

Does anyone have any recommendations about which rooms / location is the best standard view DVC Villas

Hi, Ohana! I booked my first ever Grand Floridian stay last night for 3 nights next month. We are value resort people, so we are super excited. We have outer building-garden view. What sections might we be in? Also, are there any requests that I should make? Like a high floor or specific section?

Joining this thread now! We had a reservation at the Poly from 10/23-11/1 that was just moved to GF. Not gonna lie, I'm a little bummed, but also kind of excited to try a new place we likely won't be able to do again! We have four small kids (8, 6, and almost 3 year old twins) and this placed always seemed too scary, like staying in a museum of priceless art 🤣
We have an "outer building garden view." Does anyone know if these rooms are large enough for two pack n plays? We fit two in the poly rooms no problem, I didn't know if the layout was different here. Thanks!

Hi, Ohana! I booked my first ever Grand Floridian stay last night for 3 nights next month. We are value resort people, so we are super excited. We have outer building-garden view. What sections might we be in? Also, are there any requests that I should make? Like a high floor or specific section?
GV is mostly the rooms facing the interior where the courtyard pool is. Look at a map and you see Big Pine Key, Conch, Boca Chica have one side that faces water the other will be GV.

With Sago the rooms on the side facing the mono generally are also GV because not good enough to be a lagoon. The rooms on the end facing MK are some of the TPV rooms. The other side of the Sago facing the marina also have many GV rooms there. I am not sure if any are LV , I have not seen anyone ever post in Sago paid for LV.

Next look at a picture of any of the GF buildings. The top floor and the side rooms the next floor down are dormer rooms and have dormer balconies.

WHAT? lol lots of newbies will be here so let me explain.

A dormer room is a few feet smaller than a std room but has a dormer ceiling. The room feels larger for some.

The dormer rooms have an enclosed balcony. The pro is that it is very private. The con is that it is smaller so larger families may not like these.

When you get text of room number the 1st digit is the building , the 2nd digit is floor number and last 2 what room you have. All rooms X5XX will have a dormer set up. SOME of the 4th floor x4xx will as well because the rooms on both ends have those.

Honestly GF has lovely views from almost everywhere. The resort is not too large so not a very big factor what you get. However when my kids where young we liked Sago for ease to BUS, Gaspies and mono. Downside is farther to the pools vs the others. It also has some nice views of water without the upcharge.

Joining this thread now! We had a reservation at the Poly from 10/23-11/1 that was just moved to GF. Not gonna lie, I'm a little bummed, but also kind of excited to try a new place we likely won't be able to do again! We have four small kids (8, 6, and almost 3 year old twins) and this placed always seemed too scary, like staying in a museum of priceless art 🤣
We have an "outer building garden view." Does anyone know if these rooms are large enough for two pack n plays? We fit two in the poly rooms no problem, I didn't know if the layout was different here. Thanks!
Poly and gf rooms pretty close to same size. The rooms set about the same(look at pix on disney site). The difference is that GF does not have the 2 closets as you enter is one big one with sliding doors.

Also the bathroom at GF is like what many other deluxe resorts at disney have vs whar Poly has.

Poly has tub, toilet, sink all in one room. With Gf you have the toilet and tub in a room with a door. The 2 sinks are in an other room that opens to the entrance hallway.

I'm trying to plan a VGF trip for DH and I for "a set of 5 nights still to be determined" in Oct which is driving me bonkers since it's NEXT month!

But anyway - since the GF is re-opening Sept 21st has anyone heard if more dining options, like 1900 Park Fare (as a non-buffet option like Chef Mickey's), Narcoosees or Citricos will be re-opening as well?

And do we know if the boats to/from MK will be running when the "resort" reopens?

and as far as we know, the monorail is still not stopping at the TTC to get on the Epcot monorail??

So full of questions!! THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter