(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello fellow GF fans! :flower3:

Wanted to just pop in and say that although not it it full holiday splendor...the GF is well on its way :santa:...Gingerbread house is up...and opened for business on the 21st....and the lobby smells just wonderful.... :goodvibes

The tree was not up yet....which was actually preferable for us...cuase even though its so pretty...the lobby does tend to get pretty crowded once it is...:crowded: lol...

Hope that everyone is having a magical Monday... :earsgirl: preppy GF gal...who is counting the months.. weeks.. days.. till our next GF visit! :thumbsup2

Hey there...are you still enjoying the splendor of the Grand? :goodvibes

Well,we just booked a standard room for the 13th to the 18th of Dec, 2015. We have never done GF or Poly and it was tough choice, for those of you who have stayed in both, why would choose GF?

I am completely in the dark, I just know I love the decor and location at the GF but it was hard to tell what poly is like under contruction.

soo..what are the best things about GF!? I can't wait to hear!!:cool1:

We've stayed at both and although the Poly is our favorite resort overall, the GF runs a very close second :goodvibes. The grounds are beautiful, there are a lot of great dining options, and the lobby is a nice place to sit and relax while listening to the orchestra play. I'm sure you will have a great stay and will enjoy the GF, especially in December as the lobby and grounds are beautifully decorated and everything is very festive :santa:.

Be aware that it is a bit of a slippery slope, or a self fulfilling prophecy...

I started with a Disney World AP and then got a DL AP, and then the Premier Passport when it was introduced. :goodvibes

I'm considering getting an AP next summer and this is exactly what I'm afraid of :rotfl::rotfl:.

Wonderful stay! We are almost landing at home. Thank you all -- your help and advice and help made our trip so much smoother and more magical!!:worship:

Glad you had a great stay :wizard:.

Anyone have any thoughts on a nice place to propose at the Grand? My sister is planning on asking her GF to marry her at WDW. We are staying at the Grand, and they are visiting us the first night for dinner. We've never stayed there before so I'm not sure of any of the quiet outdoor spots that would work for that. Thoughts?

I don't really have any suggestions, but wanted to say that I hope you have a great stay and enjoy the GF :).

Hello fellow GF fans! :flower3:

Wanted to just pop in and say that although not it it full holiday splendor...the GF is well on its way :santa:...Gingerbread house is up...and opened for business on the 21st....and the lobby smells just wonderful.... :goodvibes

The tree was not up yet....which was actually preferable for us...cuase even though its so pretty...the lobby does tend to get pretty crowded once it is...:crowded: lol...

Hope that everyone is having a magical Monday... :earsgirl: preppy GF gal...who is counting the months.. weeks.. days.. till our next GF visit! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the update :flower3:....glad you had another great trip :goodvibes.

We are only two weeks away! Can't wait. May I dance around for a while? :dance3:

:cool1::cool1:

As usual, thanks for all the great info and updates in this thread. We are in the planning phase now and getting ready to return for another visit to the GF.

We love the GF for the great service, impeccable grounds, rooms, restaurants, and overall grandeur of the resort - and of course the monorail and MK isn't bad either... it is truly a special place to be.

But here's my question: I sometimes wonder if we (mom, dad, dd9, ds5) are missing something with the whole "Spa" portion of the GF? What exactly, as a family, does everyone take advantage of with the "spa"? Family massages?

Good morning my GF friends. I'm working from home due to the incoming snow. However, I want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the company of family and friends and be safe!

Tom

So, because I don't feel like working today (2 of the girls have their 1st graders here so it is chaotic ) I thought I would run over my plans:

Friday - Garden Tea Room for High Tea
Saturday AM - 1900 Park Fare
Saturday PM - Fulton Crab House
Sunday PM - MK Fireworks Dessert Party

I haven't decided what I want for breakfast on Sunday

So, because I don't feel like working today (2 of the girls have their 1st graders here so it is chaotic ) I thought I would run over my plans:

Friday - Garden Tea Room for High Tea
Saturday AM - 1900 Park Fare
Saturday PM - Fulton Crab House
Sunday PM - MK Fireworks Dessert Party

I haven't decided what I want for breakfast on Sunday

Walk to the Poly and have Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe!

Tom

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

As usual, thanks for all the great info and updates in this thread. We are in the planning phase now and getting ready to return for another visit to the GF.

We love the GF for the great service, impeccable grounds, rooms, restaurants, and overall grandeur of the resort - and of course the monorail and MK isn't bad either... it is truly a special place to be.

But here's my question: I sometimes wonder if we (mom, dad, dd9, ds5) are missing something with the whole "Spa" portion of the GF? What exactly, as a family, does everyone take advantage of with the "spa"? Family massages?

I can't answer about the spa as I've never been, although the thought has crossed my mind once or twice to try a massage (I've just never taken the step to do it.....LOL). Hopefully others who have experienced it will be able to give some insight :).

Good morning my GF friends. I'm working from home due to the incoming snow. However, I want to wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy the company of family and friends and be safe!

Tom

Happy Thanksgiving to you :flower3:.

As usual, thanks for all the great info and updates in this thread. We are in the planning phase now and getting ready to return for another visit to the GF. We love the GF for the great service, impeccable grounds, rooms, restaurants, and overall grandeur of the resort - and of course the monorail and MK isn't bad either... it is truly a special place to be. But here's my question: I sometimes wonder if we (mom, dad, dd9, ds5) are missing something with the whole "Spa" portion of the GF? What exactly, as a family, does everyone take advantage of with the "spa"? Family massages?

I would not do family massages at the spa. A couples massage, or maybe a Mother Daughter manicure, but not the whole family. I am not even sure that a masage therapist would o this for a child.

Hey guys & gals,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great tips and info in this thread, we are heading down tomorrow from the UK and can't wait. Should get to the resort around 17:00 - 18:00 we hope! So excited!!!!!

Happy thanksgiving from the UK!

Dave

A belated HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all of my fellow GF fans! :goodvibes

Hey there...are you still enjoying the splendor of the Grand? :goodvibes

I wish! But am happily counting down to our 2015 trip!! :moped:

Hope that you and your family had a nice Thanksgiving my friend..and that your DH is feeling much better...:hug:

Well said Goofdad :thumbsup2 I would say most here share those sentiments!

Sorry no help from me on the spa... we enjoy spa services when at home..but not interested on vacation... I am sure that someone will come along who has enjoyed them... there is a link on the first page with lots of info...and I do believe JoBird did do a review just a few months back...

Tom

Same to you Tom! :goodvibes

Hey guys & gals,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great tips and info in this thread, we are heading down tomorrow from the UK and can't wait. Should get to the resort around 17:00 - 18:00 we hope! So excited!!!!!

Dave

Safe travels!! Hope that you have a magical vacation! :)

MickeyNut Hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving too! Did you bake any of your yummy Greek cookies..or better yet..those peanutbutter blossoms....My recipe card says..MickeyNut's PB cookies...lol... How is the trip planning coming...???

:santa: Decorating here today..and our recent trip to WDW inspired some new ideas for garland decorations...DH is so glad...lol...

:surfweb: New planning has begun..and that means tinkering with the ADRs that we already have..since its always about the food....:) ..lol..middle of the night browsing allowed me to change our BOG dinner ressie to the day that we preferred..:wizard: There is something to be said for insomnia...lol...

Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend....:flower3: preppy GF gal who is again torn between a Narcoosees or Citricos resssie!???? :scratchin ...

I've looked and looked through this long thread but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions about requesting a room:

I have a standard room reserved at the Grand. What exactly is the process for requesting a certain type of room? What is the closest date to the trip I can do this? Can someone give me a recommendation on what type of room to request (I don't want dormer) given that we have a standard booked?

I appreciate any help you guys can give. All this info is overwhelming.

Hey guys & gals,

Dave

Glad you found this thread helpful in planning your trip :flower3:. Safe travels tomorrow, I hope you have a great trip and and enjoy the GF :wizard:.

MickeyNut Hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving too! Did you bake any of your yummy Greek cookies..or better yet..those peanutbutter blossoms....My recipe card says..MickeyNut's PB cookies...lol... How is the trip planning coming...???

:santa: Decorating here today..and our recent trip to WDW inspired some new ideas for garland decorations...DH is so glad...lol...

:surfweb: New planning has begun..and that means tinkering with the ADRs that we already have..since its always about the food....:) ..lol..middle of the night browsing allowed me to change our BOG dinner ressie to the day that we preferred..:wizard: There is something to be said for insomnia...lol...

Hope that everyone has a wonderful weekend....:flower3: preppy GF gal who is again torn between a Narcoosees or Citricos resssie!???? :scratchin ...

Thanks, I hope you also had a nice Thanksgiving. LOL on the recipe card :laughing:. No baking for me yet as I usually do most of that for Christmas, which is just 4 short weeks away :faint:.

Not much going on as far as trip planning. It's been pretty hectic around here the last couple of weeks that planning as been put on hold for now, but once things settle down the planning will resume ::yes::. Sounds like your planning is coming along good, congrats on getting BOG for the day you wanted :thumbsup2.

Have fun decorating today :santa:. I put my tree up and did all of my decorating last weekend. I like to get everything up early as I'm one of those that take everything down on December 26th :rolleyes1......I love Christmas and all of the festivities, but once Christmas Day comes and goes, I've had my fill of everything and I'm ready for spring to get here :rotfl::rotfl:.

I've looked and looked through this long thread but I can't seem to find an answer to my questions about requesting a room:

I have a standard room reserved at the Grand. What exactly is the process for requesting a certain type of room? What is the closest date to the trip I can do this? Can someone give me a recommendation on what type of room to request (I don't want dormer) given that we have a standard booked?

It's very easy to make room requests, which can be made at any time :) (as long as they're made at least a week or so prior to arrival as room are assigned 4-5 days ahead of time). Just call CRO and tell them you want to have a request noted on your reservation (or call your TA if you used one, as he/she would have to call Disney and make any requests). If you have more than one request, make sure you list them in the order of importance.

As far room suggestions, I don't think there are any bad locations at the GF, but my two favorite outer buildings for GV are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. Both overlook the courtyard pool and are close to the main building and beach pool. Big Pine Key is a little closer to the main building, but not by much. With that said, the GF isn't as spread out as it seems and while some buildings are closer to the main areas than others, none are that far away. If not having a dormer room is the only request you have, I would request "non dormer room". If there is a certain building you'd like to have, I'd put that as your second request so the room assigner will know what's most important to you in the case that only one of your requests can be met. If you are assigned a room that doesn't meet your request(s), you can always ask if a different room is available. The CM may or may not be able to change your room as it depends on how busy the resort is at the time, but they are usually very accommodating and will do everything they can to meet your requests :goodvibes.

IPO is like a genie! I was able to get nonalcoholic beer for my mom when we stayed AKL club and I emailed IPO at GF and they said No problem! gotta love them. Also excited about this texting service though I haven't tried it yet. 4 days till RPC.

I did the online check in and requested Big Pine Key and upper floor. If you have a more specific request you'd want to call. I liked the location since I knew we'd use both pools. We had a garden view 4th floor and it was gorgeous view day and night. We could even see the fireworks at MK.

DD & i are super-excited for our "try a new resort stay" at the VGF - standard studio on may 12 (then BWV thru may 22).
we've stayed at the GF (loved it :lovestruc ) , saw the gorgeous DVC rooms & lots of pictures, but there's nothing like the real thing!

just please keep those posts & photos coming so i can keep dreaming until may :thumbsup2

8 days. We leave in 8 days for the GF. Praying praying praying we stay healthy. EIGHT DAYS!!!!!!!

Our countdown is in single digits, too, Aurora! Having caught the bug du jourduring our last December trip, we asked our GP about precautionary meds and he wrote us a prescription!

If you didn't already know...

We can't wait!!!

8 days. We leave in 8 days for the GF. Praying praying praying we stay healthy. EIGHT DAYS!!!!!!!

I hope you stay healthy as well -- and I bet you do the happy dance when you note that it now says "One Week until our next vacation"

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter