(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit all the negative comments about Sugar Loaf are making me nervous.

This is my first time staying CL on purpose. We were granted one night with RPC last trip. Now I feel like we are slumming it. LOL As an aside, is there any real reason I should email IPO? I did all of my own ressies. And I intend to do all of my own FP as I'm a control freak and don't trust anyone.

Even though I guess I contributed to the negative comments above, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. SL has a great location and is super convenient to everything. It tends to get a bit less favorable comments because, at least among the MK resort CLs, it's the one lounge that isn't really an 'exciting' space in itself. But the food/beverage offerings are nearly identical to RPC... and it's usually much cheaper than other CL options, which doesn't hurt! :-)

As to IPO... the IPOs don't exist in the form they once did. It was replaced by Disney Signature Services (DSS), which is a centralized CL planning service. Effectively the same as the IPOs, just centralized and not at the resorts. Here is contact info if needed:

(407) 939-7777
disney.signature.services@disneyworld.com

Personally, I pretty much only use DSS for adding room requests to my reservation or for making more obscure reservations such as pool or water park cabana rentals, etc - things I can't otherwise do online. Everything else (ADRs, FPs) are plenty easy to do online so I don't typically use them for those types of requests.

Hope you have a great trip!

Me too. We stayed at SL last year and it was great - just one rather unfriendly CM but everything else was really good. Hope things improve - maybe GF staff are reading complaints.

Similar to what I said above, I wouldn't over-think it. Online reviews and comments tend to only focus on the few nits and don't highlight the overall strengths. SL has pros and cons, just like all the resorts and CLs. Have fun!

What room would you request if one was staying RPC standard?

Also does the RPC have bottles of water to take to the parks?

Most of the standard rooms are on the third and fourth floor, maybe a few on the fifth as well. My preference is to be on the same floor as the lounge, so fourth floor.

On the third and fourth floor, there are two "banks" of standard rooms... one set that face the Courtyard Pool, the other set faces towards the Villas building/Main Pool/Poly.

This crude plan below may help. I had the room with the red dot - attaching a few pics of the view as well. Loved this room.... GREAT view and just steps from the lounge. I don't know what the view is like from the other standard rooms, but I'd be happy here every time.

Hope that helps!

GF 4th Floorplan - With Lounge Labeled.jpeg

Attachments

• 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 41
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 38

Most of the standard rooms are on the third and fourth floor, maybe a few on the fifth as well. My preference is to be on the same floor as the lounge, so fourth floor.

On the third and fourth floor, there are two "banks" of standard rooms... one set that face the Courtyard Pool, the other set faces towards the Villas building/Main Pool/Poly.

This crude plan below may help. I had the room with the red dot - attaching a few pics of the view as well. Loved this room.... GREAT view and just steps from the lounge. I don't know what the view is like from the other standard rooms, but I'd be happy here every time.

Hope that helps!

View attachment 292654

Beautiful pictures! It really is a lovely resort.

I have to admit all the negative comments about Sugar Loaf are making me nervous.

This is my first time staying CL on purpose. We were granted one night with RPC last trip. Now I feel like we are slumming it. LOL As an aside, is there any real reason I should email IPO? I did all of my own ressies. And I intend to do all of my own FP as I'm a control freak and don't trust anyone.

Don’t be nervous! You’re staying at the Grand Floridian!! You’re hardly slumming it! LOL
SL lounge gives you the same offerings as RPC (including the chef and alcohol).

There are two main differences that I personally noticed between SL and RPC (aside from price) - lounge size and friendliness of the CM’s. If either would be a big issue for you, then maybe look into the upgrade to RPC. Otherwise, I think you’ll be just fine! The GF is just such a beautiful place and the CL is an added bonus! Enjoy it!

Thank you so much. I would love to have that view. My DH and I have always wanted to stay at GF and do RPC. Last night a commercial for Disney came on and of course it showcased GF. My DH just sighed and said someday. Well after having a Mom who died young of Alzheimer’s; I have the mindset of life is too short...enjoy it!

So...at 1:00a.m. I changed our club level split stay from WL/BWI to GF RPC/BWI.
We are so excited!

A dream is a wish the heart makes.

I like being on the side facing the VGF and Poly. These rooms have a wet bar and are a bit larger, although I am happy to be on the side facing the courtyard. Great views of the lagoon and Poly. Congrats on booking RPC. I like the way you think...life is short enjoy it while you can.

They may or may not have bottles of water. It is not always there but if they don't have any out you can always ask and if they have some in the back they will get it for you.

Enjoy your stay.

Even though I guess I contributed to the negative comments above, personally, I wouldn't worry about it. SL has a great location and is super convenient to everything. It tends to get a bit less favorable comments because, at least among the MK resort CLs, it's the one lounge that isn't really an 'exciting' space in itself. But the food/beverage offerings are nearly identical to RPC... and it's usually much cheaper than other CL options, which doesn't hurt! :-)

As to IPO... the IPOs don't exist in the form they once did. It was replaced by Disney Signature Services (DSS), which is a centralized CL planning service. Effectively the same as the IPOs, just centralized and not at the resorts. Here is contact info if needed:

(407) 939-7777
disney.signature.services@disneyworld.com

Personally, I pretty much only use DSS for adding room requests to my reservation or for making more obscure reservations such as pool or water park cabana rentals, etc - things I can't otherwise do online. Everything else (ADRs, FPs) are plenty easy to do online so I don't typically use them for those types of requests.

Hope you have a great trip!

Similar to what I said above, I wouldn't over-think it. Online reviews and comments tend to only focus on the few nits and don't highlight the overall strengths. SL has pros and cons, just like all the resorts and CLs. Have fun!

Thank you! I appreciate the information. I'll be emailing my room request.

Just thought I would mention that the GF has a new General Manager. Cosmo Kapoor, former GM of Yacht and Beach has taken over for Marylouise Fitzgibbon. She was promoted to a regional GM with Disney.

We received an email regarding our Feb. RPC that detailed the beach pool closure, no date was listed for reopening just Spring 2018.

I would think about what is important to you when making the request. Do you want to be close to the lounge ? Do you want a more quiet location with perhaps no connecting door (I really dislike connecting doors, so that is always my request) ? Like a previous poster, I too like the rooms on the Atrium side rather than the long hallway side. I like being close to the band but farther away from the elevator traffic and running feet.

Edited to add: I really messed this up somehow. I will blame the cold weather.

Last edited:
I like being on the side facing the VGF and Poly. These rooms have a wet bar and are a bit larger, although I am happy to be on the side facing the courtyard. Great views of the lagoon and Poly.

Me too! I think any location/view is great, but my favorite view is overlooking the main pool/lagoon with the Poly in the distance :cloud9:.

Congrats on booking RPC. I like the way you think...life is short enjoy it while you can.

I agree ;)

I agree with this. While not complaint worthy, my GF SL room in April was among the more beat up / showing its age rooms I've had at DW in awhile, especially the bathroom. I'll get :duck:for saying this out loud on this thread, but part of me thinks it's time for a major overhaul to the toilet/shower area. That's where our room felt the most off.
Your honesty is appreciated. I agree with your observations.

Thank you so much. I would love to have that view. My DH and I have always wanted to stay at GF and do RPC. Last night a commercial for Disney came on and of course it showcased GF. My DH just sighed and said someday. Well after having a Mom who died young of Alzheimer’s; I have the mindset of life is too short...enjoy it!

So...at 1:00a.m. I changed our club level split stay from WL/BWI to GF RPC/BWI.
We are so excited!

A dream is a wish the heart makes.
Congratulations I hope it's all you could dream. Enjoy.

I will be heading back to SL next week. My 1st few stays I was not impressed. However with each stay you realize how wonderful the resort is, the buildings great location, awesome offerings, and comfortable lounge.

It doesn't have a view like rpc, poly and cr but it is so easy due to small size of building to take your stuff back to your room or balcony. :cloud9:

Also the views are lovely from pretty much any room too.:daisy:

I did sl, a std gv and rpc last year and each vacation was wonderful. ::yes::

I was a bit disappointed that I recognized some of my sl favorite cm's in rpc last month. OH NO I hope there are good new ones to replace them.pixiedust:

I will see if any changes from last year. My ds doesn't know he stuck at GF yet(not his fav) however that kid loves cl so I think he will be OK:thumbsup2

We are staying club level at the Grand Floridian. My elderly grandparents have Spa appointments one day while we will be at the parks. My grandpa will have a scooter but Grandma will only have a wheelchair (she can’t see well enough to drive a scooter). They will need help getting from the Sugarloaf building to the Grand Floridian Senses Spa (about a 10 minute walk). Do you think anyone at the resort will be able to push my Grandma’s wheelchair and show my Grandparents how to get to the spa or do you think we will have to leave the parks to help them?

We are staying club level at the Grand Floridian. My elderly grandparents have Spa appointments one day while we will be at the parks. My grandpa will have a scooter but Grandma will only have a wheelchair (she can’t see well enough to drive a scooter). They will need help getting from the Sugarloaf building to the Grand Floridian Senses Spa (about a 10 minute walk). Do you think anyone at the resort will be able to push my Grandma’s wheelchair and show my Grandparents how to get to the spa or do you think we will have to leave the parks to help them?

Can they walk short distances or do they need wheelchairs for any distance? I don't know about someone pushing the wheelchair but there's a good chance CL staff could get them a golf cart ride

I can tell you when I worked for Disney in 2014 we were told not to touch ppl in their wheelchairs... Figured it was for liability reasons which is sad.. Now I did have to push wheelchairs with a person in it onto the wheelchair car on Buzz Light Year but again that was for Disney Liability...

Since your staying CL tho I think youll have a much greater chance getting help, why dont you email signature services and ask? Im sure they could tell you and you can plan accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter