(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!:wave2:

Sorry I've been lurking the past couple of weeks with no time to post!! Our trip in May/June was rainy and quick but we loved every minute. Had lots of problems with mousekeeping and of course Disney took very good care of us.

With our last trip being so quick and no good dates to return with work and school for the kids we're planning a long trip this summer. We haven't stayed past 4 nights in 4 years, we're thinking 9 nights with a day trip to Universal. I am so excited with the planning and of course my family is making fun of me. So I had to make time to post here because I knew you guys would understand.:banana:

We have a outer building garden view room booked for October. Any suggestions for building requests. I know not to have many requests on a reservation. My number one request is no connecting room, but not sure what building or location I should consider. Thanks in advance. :flower1:

We have a outer building garden view room booked for October. Any suggestions for building requests. I know not to have many requests on a reservation. My number one request is no connecting room, but not sure what building or location I should consider. Thanks in advance. :flower1:

We're at the GF right now, staying in Big Pine Key, and I'm very happy with it. IMO, it's the best building for pool access, which is my #1 priority. But in all honesty, I think every building has it's pros and cons, so you'll be happy with whatever you get.

Hey everyone!:wave2:

Sorry I've been lurking the past couple of weeks with no time to post!! Our trip in May/June was rainy and quick but we loved every minute. Had lots of problems with mousekeeping and of course Disney took very good care of us.

With our last trip being so quick and no good dates to return with work and school for the kids we're planning a long trip this summer. We haven't stayed past 4 nights in 4 years, we're thinking 9 nights with a day trip to Universal. I am so excited with the planning and of course my family is making fun of me. So I had to make time to post here because I knew you guys would understand.:banana:

Hi Wishes :wave:

Sorry about the rainy May/June trip, but glad you still had a great time. A 9 night Disney trip with a day of Universal thrown in sounds fun! Enjoy the planning :wizard:.

I think anywhere at the GF is great, but my two favorite outer buildings are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. Both overlook the courtyard pool and are close to the main building. If you want to be close to Gasparillas and the boat dock, Sago and Conch are good choices. Enjoy the rest of your planning, hope you have a great trip :goodvibes.

We're at the GF right now, staying in Big Pine Key, and I'm very happy with it. IMO, it's the best building for pool access, which is my #1 priority. But in all honesty, I think every building has it's pros and cons, so you'll be happy with whatever you get.

I agree about BPK! Hope you're having a great time :).

Just returned home from The Grand last night. It was our first stay and my husband and I decided that this is definitely our favorite resort!! We love Yacht Club as well but the Grand just impressed us so much. We will be choosing this resort every August from now on and we have an annual conference at Yacht Club the week after Thanksgiving! At this point I have officially stayed at every resort on property which was on my bucket list, with the exception of Shades of Green. Now I can just keep returning to my favorites. Thanks for all the information! This is a great thread!!

There is no bad location at the Grand, but my personal favorites are Sago Key and Big Pine Key.

Hi Wishes :wave:

Sorry about the rainy May/June trip, but glad you still had a great time. A 9 night Disney trip with a day of Universal thrown in sounds fun! Enjoy the planning :wizard:.

:wave: mickeynut1 its good to be back on the boards

Just returned home from The Grand last night. It was our first stay and my husband and I decided that this is definitely our favorite resort!! We love Yacht Club as well but the Grand just impressed us so much. We will be choosing this resort every August from now on and we have an annual conference at Yacht Club the week after Thanksgiving! At this point I have officially stayed at every resort on property which was on my bucket list, with the exception of Shades of Green. Now I can just keep returning to my favorites. Thanks for all the information! This is a great thread!!

The GF is an amazing resort! Glad you had a great time :wizard:.

There is no bad location at the Grand, but my personal favorites are Sago Key and Big Pine Key.

I agree ;).

:wave: mickeynut1 its good to be back on the boards

It's good to have you back :goodvibes.

I apologize if this has been asked already, do you have to be staying at the Grand Floridian to book a cabana? Or could you be staying at another resort on property? Thank you!

Okay so we just switched our fall trip from a split at AS/YC to a full stay at GF.

Is there a good post that details the pros and cons of each building? I don't want to be too specific with a request but would like to at least try to get in an area that makes the most sense for us. We don't care much about the pool but being closer to the main building or some of the restaurants we're dining at would be great.

We have an outer building lagoon view if that changes anything. Access to the monorail would be top priority if possible but I'm not sure how close we can get with our room type.

Can anyone tell me if grand Floridian still gives out individual toiletries or if they have the big communal bottles in shower?

Anywhere on the GF property is good. Even the main building rooms involve changing floors to get to the 2nd-floor monorail. Everything is within a short walking distance, the pools, restaurants, boat dock. That's what is great about staying at the GF!

Hey just a heads up if you are coming down soon. There is construction in front of the summer house and very loud jack hammering during the day. If you nap during the day or have kids that do I wouldn’t stay near it.

Okay so we just switched our fall trip from a split at AS/YC to a full stay at GF.

Is there a good post that details the pros and cons of each building? I don't want to be too specific with a request but would like to at least try to get in an area that makes the most sense for us. We don't care much about the pool but being closer to the main building or some of the restaurants we're dining at would be great.

We have an outer building lagoon view if that changes anything. Access to the monorail would be top priority if possible but I'm not sure how close we can get with our room type.

If you look at a resort map, you can pretty much tell which building you might prefer. If you use the pools a lot, you might want a building near them. If you have kids that love the water slide, the Villa (or beach) pool is the one with that. If you have refillable mugs, you might prefer a building near the quick service. Our last stay was at Port Orleans, and it was 10 minute hike from our room to anything (except the bus stop). The Grand Floridian is much more compact. At this moment, I'm on a JetBlue flight, checked out of the GF at 10:30 am. :-(

If you look at a resort map, you can pretty much tell which building you might prefer. If you use the pools a lot, you might want a building near them. If you have kids that love the water slide, the Villa (or beach) pool is the one with that. If you have refillable mugs, you might prefer a building near the quick service. Our last stay was at Port Orleans, and it was 10 minute hike from our room to anything (except the bus stop). The Grand Floridian is much more compact. At this moment, I'm on a JetBlue flight, checked out of the GF at 10:30 am. :-(

Thank you, I actually realized all of this shortly after I posted yesterday, I guess I should have looked at a map before posting! I had no idea the resort was so compact, that's really nice so I can make a request or two without having to worry about being in a specific building.

If the popular site to use for room maps is still up to date, it looks like there are 3 buildings with lagoon view rooms but they're all within a short distance of everything at GF.

I think the only real concern I have now is transportation. I've been seeing a lot around the internet about how GF isn't the most convenient to get to non-MK parks. Is the monorail transfer to get to Epcot really as bad as so many people make it sound? I've never stayed on the loop before. I'll probably just Uber on AK and HS days but would prefer to not have to for a couple days enjoying F&W.

I think the only real concern I have now is transportation. I've been seeing a lot around the internet about how GF isn't the most convenient to get to non-MK parks. Is the monorail transfer to get to Epcot really as bad as so many people make it sound? I've never stayed on the loop before. I'll probably just Uber on AK and HS days but would prefer to not have to for a couple days enjoying F&W.

We actually feel it's much quicker and easier to bus to AK and DHS than taking the monorail to Epcot. We'd be more inclined to use Uber/Lyft to Epcot over AK or DHS.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="djs7685, post: 59651808, member]I think the only real concern I have now is transportation. I've been seeing a lot around the internet about how GF isn't the most convenient to get to non-MK parks. Is the monorail transfer to get to Epcot really as bad as so many people make it sound? I've never stayed on the loop before. I'll probably just Uber on AK and HS days but would prefer to not have to for a couple days enjoying F&W.

We actually feel it's much quicker and easier to bus to AK and DHS than taking the monorail to Epcot. We'd be more inclined to use Uber/Lyft to Epcot over AK or DHS.[/QUOTE]
Agreed. Besides the possible wait times, it is much less work to just sit for the bus. GF is the most inconvenient monorail resort for Epcot. CR is one stop and Poly you can walk to TTC. For GF you have to go through security, take the monorail 3/5 of the way around the resort line, go down one ramp, up another ramp, monorail to Epcot, down another ramp, and security again. And keep your fingers crossed that neither line is down or malfunctioning.

This is why I do split stays!

I'll agree that transportation was probably the biggest drawback about our stay this week at GF, except for MK, of course. Even with our arrival on Disney Magical Express, the bus stopped at Ft Wilderness, then Wilderness Lodge, then Bay Lake Towers, then Poly, and THEN Grand Floridian. and while I'm complaining, the walk from the exit of Hollywood Studios to the GF bus stop was around 4/10ths of a mile (due to gondola construction). It seemed a lot longer due to no shade in the August Florida sun. And I hate how Disney makes us NOT want to visit the water parks, with no direct buses. I told my wife that next time, we'll plan on putting aside $200 for use of minnie vans during our stay.

I'll agree that transportation was probably the biggest drawback about our stay this week at GF, except for MK, of course. Even with our arrival on Disney Magical Express, the bus stopped at Ft Wilderness, then Wilderness Lodge, then Bay Lake Towers, then Poly, and THEN Grand Floridian. and while I'm complaining, the walk from the exit of Hollywood Studios to the GF bus stop was around 4/10ths of a mile (due to gondola construction). It seemed a lot longer due to no shade in the August Florida sun. And I hate how Disney makes us NOT want to visit the water parks, with no direct buses. I told my wife that next time, we'll plan on putting aside $200 for use of minnie vans during our stay.
I agree with the others. Getting to Epcot we uber or Minnie. However as long as we don't leave at park closing I do mono back, since I'm not in a hurry at that time that works.( Unless I'll miss cl desserts of course then I NEEDto get back).

@PolyRob i have us at bwi for Epcot/HS we are doing on a Saturday. I have gf rpc 9/16-19 for me and dd and convinced dh he might as well come for a day since I'll not be home to cook for him. Why not F&W? We arrive at midnight Fri and I have soarin late morning then eat for lunch wandering Epcot. Then he didn't get to come for the 4th so I figure eat dinner at Epcot then head to HS to see slinky dog. Maybe jump in line at 9p since we can just WALK back :)

Then we will get up and uber to gf for cl breakfast, dd decided to take vaca time to see her dad so now she is arriving Saturday am. They both not happy about BWI but ya know. mom knows best lol.

Ds hack in college but even after 3 trips this year I think he wants "In" for F&W too. If homework isn't too bad I may need to add him. My guys don't like the rides so much but they love the food at WDW :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter