• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2014 Beach & Yacht Club FAQ, Friends & Fun *DO NOT POST HERE- FIND NEW THREAD*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just checked the Disney website and Captains Grille is showing its normal dinner menu. No sign of the buffet that was there earlier

Just so people don't think you are crazy - i checked the Disney site a couple of hours ago and saw the buffet menu you are talking about. I was already planning plan b - just in case .

Just saw a post on a thread in the restaurant forum that says captains grill buffet menu was a glitch - what was posted was a special holiday menu they have for Christmas etc. Whew !

Hey Ninja Mom - your friend is pretty amazing with the camera. That insta-glam thing works well!

Thanks for sharing.

Well I need to update our vacation! Dates are the same, but we moved over to YC since there were no BC rooms available with any discount. Our 3 room total discount was $1,800 so well worth moving and trying out YC.

Oh Darn! on the Captain's Grille Nude Buffet protest being cancelled! I'll start putting my clothes back on.... eventually ;)

~Nekked Mom :crazy2:

Anyone have any pics of the newly refurbed Captain's Grille? I really enjoy that restaurant every time we go there.

So what's this chatter about Captain's Grille being a buffet for dinner? When did (or will) that go into affect? We liked grabbing a sit down dinner there but would not want to go if it becomes a buffet.

Saw a post about it on the restaurant board: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3249833

Has anyone heard about this?

Talked to the chef bright and early this morning at the Captain's Grill. That buffet menu was the Christmas Day special buffet they had. The Captain's Grill is not a buffet and only has buffets on special days like Christmas Day, sometimes Easter, etc. The old menu is still in place. They have no idea why website is showing the Easter Buffet but they said they will work to get it fixed.

Hi all... Just took advantage of the summer sale but our favorite garden room was gone :( I tried calling all day and finally got through this afternoon. Good news was we could still save some cash and upgrade to Concierge Level!!! I always see people in here talking about it and it seems like a dream come true! I can't wait to find out all of the CL perks ;)

Luck o the Irish today!

Question? Do any of you follow EasyWDW or Touring Plans for crowd calendars? If so, who do you prefer?

We are coming for a short trip in April and so I am trying to plan the best attack for park time and relaxation time.:thumbsup2

Thanks!
We have used Easywdw and have always had a good outcome. We have never used Touringplans though so I can't compare. Plus Josh from Easywdw makes me laugh, oh and his information is free :thumbsup2. Hope that helps

Talked to the chef bright and early this morning at the Captain's Grill. That buffet menu was the Christmas Day special buffet they had. The Captain's Grill is not a buffet and only has buffets on special days like Christmas Day, sometimes Easter, etc. The old menu is still in place. They have no idea why website is showing the Easter Buffet but they said they will work to get it fixed.

Thank you! So glad to hear it's just a glitch. It didn't seem ideal to have two buffets right next to each other.

Ninja mom...hang in there. We'll find another cause before long, I'm sure. :cool2:

Great news!

Now if they'd just bring back the bacon cheddar mashed potatoes.... lol lol!

When I booked today, I was hoping for a Garden View room too, but I got the fancy-smancy Lagoon/Pool View. How noisy will the pool be? Any hope for downgrading to Garden View someday?

Also, WAY MORE IMPORTANT, this is a mom/daughter trip... how do I surprise my mum (who thinks we're staying in ASMusic) without her seeing the bill? We split the cost... and she will see the reservation if I'm not sneaky. Ideas?:confused:

Hi everyone!

We are arriving at YC on August 16 for five nights. This will be our first deluxe stay and are very excited, and have been gathering lots of information from this great thread. It would be myself, DH, DD16, and DD12. Because of the cost of flights, it was cheaper to book a late arrival flight into MCO on August 15th, arriving at 11:30 pm. The plan is for us to stay overnight at the airport Hyatt and take ME the next morning to YC. We do not have any park plans for our YC arrival day (also DD’s 12th birthday :cheer2:) – just explore the resort, spend the afternoon at SAB, and then head out for dinner.

However, I’m also considering whether we should just soldier on and go straight to YC instead of staying overnight at the airport. When I weigh the pros and cons, this is what I come up with:

Hyatt:
- PRO: Cost would be $50 cheaper.
- PRO: Can go straight to check in after arrival and pass out in bed.
- CON: Will have to schlep luggage and check in twice at two different hotels.
- CON: Room at YC may not be ready when we arrive, even if we come in first thing. But a PRO would be that we could still have a good choice of room locations.

YC:
- PRO: Only need to check in at one hotel.
- PRO: Can sleep in and start vacation right away at home resort.
- CON: More expensive.
- CON: Would arrive at YC in the dark. Not as fun as arriving at the hotel or driving under the Disney arches in broad daylight.
- CON: Very late check in so room location choices won’t be as good. We are booked for a standard view room, and so far my location preferences are a high floor and close to transportation.

I’m really on the fence on which way to go, but was leaning towards staying at the Hyatt since we are not in a hurry to be at a park for the first morning. What would you do?

Honestly, you have to figure out what is best for your family! I'll give you some personal experience though - I've been taking the cheap late night flight for our family for a couple years now as the savings pays for what I do next...I rent a car and use our Hilton points for a free night at Hilton Bonnet creek! And then we go for a grocery stop to save even more money for bottled water, beer, fresh fruit, dairy products, and other snacks. I understand your situation is different as you will pay for the first night at the Hyatt and won't rent a car. You've listed the pros and cons and since you are leaning toward the Hyatt - I saw go for it! When we arrive late at night and then have to take the extra time to get to the hotel, we aren't settled down in our rooms until 2 am and so we are all so tired the next morning. But if we want to get up and enjoy the day early, we end up with too little sleep and the kids get cranky. So now we sleep in and get a late check out at the first hotel but I would rather get them to bed sooner, and be able to wake early the next morning.

Some other advantages to staying at the Hyatt the first night are those 'soft' benefits like relieving the stress of getting on ME to the resort late at night (and how long will you have to wait) and just realizing that you spent $50 more to sleep in a room that you might not like and not be able to change, or just that you could have used the $50 for a nicer meal or an extra activity.

As for schlepping the luggage, here is what we do - We designate ONE suitcase as the one we use the first night so we don't have to unpack the other suitcases or dig for things. We also wear and take clothing we won't use ever again, nor would we donate. Like old underthings and socks or even ratty t-shirts to wear as PJs. This also helps with the 'stress' of re-packing as we throw away some things anyway that first night - not to mention freeing up space in our luggage for souvenirs :thumbsup2

Good luck with your decision!

page 136-139

For the be our guest list:

bea1776 June 1-8 BC GV (First Trip!)

There will be five of us in the room (2 adults, 3 kids ages 12,8,6). Is there anything I should put as a special request, or am I better off leaving it blank?

Thanks for the details on your dates.

If a full balcony is important to you, you may want to request that since only about 50% of the rooms at the Beach Club have the larger balconies. "Full balcony, please"

Other common requests are for an upper or lower floor or near to elevator/lobby for people who have those preferences.

:)

Please add me to the Be Our Guest List for May 10-17, Beach Club Club level. Thanks!

:welcome: back!

Will do!

:cool1:

Does anyone know the pool hours (the big pool) for May? We were there in January and it closed at 9. I'm hoping its open later in May.

Not entirely sure, but I would think the hours in May will be later than in January. One of the problems with giving the hours for SAB is that the actual closing time is determined day to day by the lifeguards/recreation managers based on factors like crowd level and weather.

Quiet pools are technically open 24 hours-hopefully people who use the pools later than 11 pm are respectful to other guests.

:thumbsup2

I am so happy to be joining this thread! I was booked at the BWI for 10 days in August but couldn't get the new summer discount applied. Switched to YC and saved $1500 off my original BWI reservation. DS13 and DD11 are BEYOND thrilled that they'll be able to swim in Stormalong Bay. This is our first foray into the "Deluxe" category and we're looking forward to a great trip from August 2-12, especially now that we've got some extra money for dining and souvenirs :) Woo hoo!!

:welcome:

Glad to have you here!

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list

:woohoo:

Hi everyone!

We are arriving at YC on August 16 for five nights. This will be our first deluxe stay and are very excited, and have been gathering lots of information from this great thread. It would be myself, DH, DD16, and DD12. Because of the cost of flights, it was cheaper to book a late arrival flight into MCO on August 15th, arriving at 11:30 pm. The plan is for us to stay overnight at the airport Hyatt and take ME the next morning to YC. We do not have any park plans for our YC arrival day (also DD’s 12th birthday :cheer2:) – just explore the resort, spend the afternoon at SAB, and then head out for dinner.

However, I’m also considering whether we should just soldier on and go straight to YC instead of staying overnight at the airport. When I weigh the pros and cons, this is what I come up with:

Hyatt:
- PRO: Cost would be $50 cheaper.
- PRO: Can go straight to check in after arrival and pass out in bed.
- CON: Will have to schlep luggage and check in twice at two different hotels.
- CON: Room at YC may not be ready when we arrive, even if we come in first thing. But a PRO would be that we could still have a good choice of room locations.

YC:
- PRO: Only need to check in at one hotel.
- PRO: Can sleep in and start vacation right away at home resort.
- CON: More expensive.
- CON: Would arrive at YC in the dark. Not as fun as arriving at the hotel or driving under the Disney arches in broad daylight.
- CON: Very late check in so room location choices won’t be as good. We are booked for a standard view room, and so far my location preferences are a high floor and close to transportation.

I’m really on the fence on which way to go, but was leaning towards staying at the Hyatt since we are not in a hurry to be at a park for the first morning. What would you do?

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list, starting on August 16, but if you decide to do the extra day at YC, I'll make the change

:goodvibes

Question for U wonderful knowledgeable people. Where is a good place to get lobster and shrimp on disney property? We r on the regular dining plan if that helps.

Thanks amber

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hmmm...

Lobster- I know the Captain's Grille at YC has a lobster omelet at breakfast and lobster sliders at lunch (we had these and they are good). The Boardwalk Bakery has a lobster roll that gets great reviews. The lobster/shrimp roll at Hurricane Hanna's at Stormalong Bay gets mixed reviews.

For a whole boiled lobster or grilled lobster, you should probably check out the signature restaurants. Fulton's at Downtown Disney may have something.

Shrimp- I love to eat shrimp, but for some reason I can't think of a particular shrimp dish I have ordered at Disney.

Cape May Clambake has peel and eat shrimp on the buffet and on selected nights has fried shrimp. Columbia Harbor House (MK CS) has a fried shrimp dinner.

DO NOT get the shrimp pasta at Sci Fi. This is the single nastiest thing I have ever eaten at Disney. BLECH! :sick:

Anyone else have any suggestions?

::yes::

We will be at BC May 11-17 after a week at POR.

We can't wait!!!!!!

I'll add you to the Be Our Guest list

:yay:

Anyone have any pics of the newly refurbed Captain's Grille? I really enjoy that restaurant every time we go there.

I don't think I have you on the Be Our Guest list. Is your trip in May?

I have some pictures of the Captain's Grille from July. I'll be posting them in my trip report sometime soon, so I'll put a link here as well when I do.

:thumbsup2

PHEW!!!

:goodvibes

Hi all... Just took advantage of the summer sale but our favorite garden room was gone :( I tried calling all day and finally got through this afternoon. Good news was we could still save some cash and upgrade to Concierge Level!!! I always see people in here talking about it and it seems like a dream come true! I can't wait to find out all of the CL perks ;)

Luck o the Irish today!

I don't think I have you on the Be Our Guest list. What are the details of your trip? When? Where?

When I booked today, I was hoping for a Garden View room too, but I got the fancy-smancy Lagoon/Pool View. How noisy will the pool be? Any hope for downgrading to Garden View someday?

Also, WAY MORE IMPORTANT, this is a mom/daughter trip... how do I surprise my mum (who thinks we're staying in ASMusic) without her seeing the bill? We split the cost... and she will see the reservation if I'm not sneaky. Ideas?:confused:

When is your trip? June?

This past July, we were right above Stormalong Bay (5th floor) and we could hear people enjoying the pool, but it didn't bother us. The only time we were a little bit bothered was when one girl was screaming bloody murder for about 5 minutes. We were concerned because she sounded like she was in pain, but we finally figured out she was shrieking with delight.

We were never bothered at night, especially with our balcony doors closed.

As far as surprising your mum- how crafty are you with word documents or email? If it were me, I would make a fake bill and or email using the Disneyworld logo, with all of the information like dates of the trip and confirmation number, but replace the resort name with "All Star Music". Will she get suspicious at the cost? When do you plan on telling her? If you are using the Magical Express luggage delivery, the luggage tags will tip her off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter