2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** Updated 7/29 with Corral Info

Hello! Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place. Maybe you all can direct me to the right thread to ask.
I'm running the 10K with my two sisters (my first ever RACE, let alone 10K, let alone runDisney event). Ahh and Woo!

I want to cheer on my sisters on Sunday since they're doing the DDD. I'm thinking of signing up for one of the ChEAR Squads, but I wanted to see if anyone had or knows someone with experience with them.
The Gold is sold out, so I'm between the Silver or the Platinum, though $100 is a lot to stomach for nice potties, breakfast, and reserved finish line seating.

Thoughts? 1/2 or Dumbo runners, would you even be able to concentrate on someone you know being there as you crossed the finish line, or is there too much else going on for it to make a difference?

Excited!

Corral A for me - first time in A at a Disney race!

That's awesome! :thumbsup2 I've got your corral added to the runner list (although I'll be updating it soon regardless).

Hello! Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place. Maybe you all can direct me to the right thread to ask.
I'm running the 10K with my two sisters (my first ever RACE, let alone 10K, let alone runDisney event). Ahh and Woo!

I want to cheer on my sisters on Sunday since they're doing the DDD. I'm thinking of signing up for one of the ChEAR Squads, but I wanted to see if anyone had or knows someone with experience with them.
The Gold is sold out, so I'm between the Silver or the Platinum, though $100 is a lot to stomach for nice potties, breakfast, and reserved finish line seating.

Thoughts? 1/2 or Dumbo runners, would you even be able to concentrate on someone you know being there as you crossed the finish line, or is there too much else going on for it to make a difference?

Personally, I don't see the point of it, but others may have a different opinion. My friend and roommate were able to find a spot close to the finish line as well as a few other locations on the course and I found them fairly easily (mind you I had my phone with me and they texted me to look for them each time). Especially for Dumbo last year as my friend had my 10K medal to hand off to me so I didn't have to run with it the whole way but would have it when I crossed the finish line and could get photos with all three medals.

But there is a lot going on at the end. If it hadn't been for her having my medal I probably wouldn't have been trying to pick them out of the crowd, even though it was also the first time I had ever had anyone there to cheer me on and meet me at the finish line (I'm normally solo at these things).

I'm new on the boards. I'm doing the Half and my bib # is 6883, Corral H.

Welcome to the boards!! Have you ever done and runDisney events before?

I just finished rearranging the runners list so I'll get you added now. We're Corral H buddies :)

Welcome to the boards!! Have you ever done and runDisney events before?

I just finished rearranging the runners list so I'll get you added now. We're Corral H buddies :)

Thanks!
I did the 5K in August last year. This year, I am doing the Half, my daughters are doing the 5K this year and my grandson is doing the 100m Kid's race.
In November, my son is doing the Half, and my daughter and I are doing the 5K.

Hello! Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place. Maybe you all can direct me to the right thread to ask. I'm running the 10K with my two sisters (my first ever RACE, let alone 10K, let alone runDisney event). Ahh and Woo! I want to cheer on my sisters on Sunday since they're doing the DDD. I'm thinking of signing up for one of the ChEAR Squads, but I wanted to see if anyone had or knows someone with experience with them. The Gold is sold out, so I'm between the Silver or the Platinum, though $100 is a lot to stomach for nice potties, breakfast, and reserved finish line seating. Thoughts? 1/2 or Dumbo runners, would you even be able to concentrate on someone you know being there as you crossed the finish line, or is there too much else going on for it to make a difference?
At the WDW marathon my mom was waiting for us at the finish line, she said that it was pretty packed when she got there but since I had started near the end and finished near the end it really cleared out. So it would depend on weather your sisters are going to be near the end or somewhere in the middle, you might have a hard time getting up to the front to see them if there are still a lot of people waiting. That being said, I would never pay that much to watch someone cross the finish line! You can also watch from along the route, if you do that bring a neon sign to cheer them on. I saw a guy on the route several times and he was really noticeable because he had a bright sign and a couple flamingos that he staked in the ground! Have them text you their location as they are going so you don't miss them.

can you put me in h corral for ddd? thanks!

has anyone seen lilo or stitch lately? my son is doing the kids race and my daughters are in the 5 k. It would be cool to take a picture with the medals. we just did a character breakfast at paradise pier a few months ago and i cant recall if stitch was there.thanks for any help

Hello! Sorry if I'm asking this in the wrong place. Maybe you all can direct me to the right thread to ask. I'm running the 10K with my two sisters (my first ever RACE, let alone 10K, let alone runDisney event). Ahh and Woo! I want to cheer on my sisters on Sunday since they're doing the DDD. I'm thinking of signing up for one of the ChEAR Squads, but I wanted to see if anyone had or knows someone with experience with them. The Gold is sold out, so I'm between the Silver or the Platinum, though $100 is a lot to stomach for nice potties, breakfast, and reserved finish line seating. Thoughts? 1/2 or Dumbo runners, would you even be able to concentrate on someone you know being there as you crossed the finish line, or is there too much else going on for it to make a difference?

We bought Chear Squad for DIsneyland once and my Mom found it a big waste of money. Now on the contrary she loves the WDW Chear squad. But yeah we haven't paid for it since then (I would say Disneyland but there hasn't been a chance to get a Chear squad on a trip with the two of us for a while).

My Mom and friends have come to cheer me several times along the course. And have had no problems finding spots and usually communicate with me via text. As for the finish. They usually find a spot right past the finish line for the Disneyland Half to see me finish and then meet up with em once I past through the tent pick up area. The finish line are has changed a little bit this year so I'm not sure how well it work this year. But in years past there was a giant empty space where you had a straight shot of runners finishing from what I understanding.

Thank you StarGirl11, Belle Ella, and sdchickie! :disrocks:

That was a huge help. I think I'll save the money for a drink or two at Trader Sam's and find a good spot to cheer them on that's free. :thumbsup2

Belle Ella, could you add me to the 10k list? I'll be one of I'm guessing many Tinker Bells running. :tinker:

Sorry if this has been discussed earlier but I have 2 little ones at my feet and was only about to search about half of the thread. I see mention of walkers for the 10k, was this a separate registration? How do walkers not get swept?

I broke my shoulder after the WDW Jungle Jingle 5k (slipped and fell coming out of the shower at our Vacation Village Timeshare) and my husband thought this 10k would be a great 'come back' event for me. Well since I was so behind on training due to the shoulder, when I started up again an old hip issue resurfaced.

I am sort of freaking out as I am only at a 20 min mile right now with walk/slow jog. A personal trainer friend suggested speed intervals between now and then but my physical therapist says no way. He thinks I am pinching something with the running motion that is causing the hip/groin pain and that my pelvis is tilted incorrectly due to a weak core (from 2 pregnancies/c-sections in 2 years). The hip pain starts somewhere between 2-3 miles.

Ideally, I'd like to stay in bed and cuddle with my kids while my husband does the run but I know that won't fly with him. hahaha! I so badly don't want to injure myself at the start of my vacation and be miserable the rest of the week.

All this to say, am I allowed to walk?

Thanks!

Walking is fine, but you still need to meet the pace requirements.

It sounds like your training has not been going as well as you hoped due to injuries, but that you are walking 2 to 3 miles on a regular basis.

Like any injured athlete, you need to make the hard decision about whether you should even start if you have reason to believe that you can't finish.

Have you discussed it with your physical therapist? Remember that you will need to walk to the starting corrals, wait there for an hour or so, then start the run(walk). The good thing is that the 10K course is very compact. By mile 2, you are in California Adventure and you really never leave Disney property again after that.

If your PT thinks you can do 2-3 miles without causing further injury, then you have to ask yourself whether you would feel better not starting or not finishing.

The Tink 10K was my first race ever. I was unable to participate in an untimed 5K in my home town last September due to complications from heart surgery. Not participating was absolutely the right choice for me but still not an easy decision.

If you don't start, remember that you still have a lifetime of races at Disney ahead of you.

If you do start but can't finsih, at least you still get the Disney bling!

Good luck in making your decision. Everyone here knows how hard it will be. -- Suzanne

I am sort of freaking out as I am only at a 20 min mile right now with walk/slow jog. A personal trainer friend suggested speed intervals between now and then but my physical therapist says no way. He thinks I am pinching something with the running motion that is causing the hip/groin pain and that my pelvis is tilted incorrectly due to a weak core (from 2 pregnancies/c-sections in 2 years). The hip pain starts somewhere between 2-3 miles.

Nice, gentle chiropractor...soon...

I have friends who want to come cheer me on. They are not buying a package. Where is the best spot? Can they sit inside Angel's Stadium? One friend is very immobile, so I don't want her having to trudge around and want her to be comfortable. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

I'm also in Corral A for the second year. But I have not trained as much as I would have liked to at this point, so we'll see how we do come August 30th.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter