2015 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend ** Check-In ** May 7-10, 2015

Glad we're in the same boat Kim, lol. I know I can break the 2:30 barrier eventually, even on a Disney course if I could ever get myself to continuously train. I believe I could have come really close with Star Wars if I had started in my own corral and gone at my own pace from the start. But we'll see. There are so many new things to take into account with Think this year (I'm mostly concerned about the weather and my allergies).

I've got a head start on the hills though! Those overpasses are where I do my training runs anyway. It's almost a perfect 3 miles to loop the resort.

OK, here's a new topic of discussion: I don't know how many of you also join the groups on FB that set up meets, but I'd love some input on a day/time that we can get a good get-together going.

I'd like to finish in less than 2:30 too but I'd be happy with under 3:00 for my first 1/2!

Saturday is a non-park day for us.....APs blocked :guilty:

So Saturday will be a no-go for anyone else blocked out with their AP's. I'm guessing Thursday/Friday sometime would be the best bet? Not sure how well a meet-up after the half would work as I'm sure some people will be leaving and whatnot.

So Saturday will be a no-go for anyone else blocked out with their AP's. I'm guessing Thursday/Friday sometime would be the best bet? Not sure how well a meet-up after the half would work as I'm sure some people will be leaving and whatnot.

We're arriving Thursday at the DLH and having a relaxing pool day after expo time so Thursday works for me

Depending on my running group meet-ups, haven't talked about it yet, I'm down. In or out of the parks are fine for me. I get in Thur evening, but after the expo, I'm open and the expo is mostly an in & out for me.

A. I am SO EXCITED! Woot Woot! This will be Dh and my Second runDisney half marathon. (Our 3rd total) We are running for charity. We are running for Kellsie's Hope Foundation. When we ran for them for Avengers, we received park tickets that said they were valid until dec.15th. So, Annual Pass holder hotline said we could apply the tickets to our AP monthly payments, So, Dec. 15th, we went to DLR to apply the tickets to our AP bill. The gal in the booth kind of TOTALLY freaked out. She said there was no way that we could apply them to our AP bill and that even though the tickets said they were valid until DEC 15. they were not valid and could only be used on the Half marathon day.
But, then she said she could make an exception this time but the tickets are usually only good for the marathon day. I can tell you, after the half marathon, there was no way we wanted to go into the park. We went home, showered and crashed. So, my question is this, if anyone knows, we are getting 2 more park tickets from the charity we are running for, and will be wanting to apply them to our bill again, because we have passes, we don't need them. And B. It couldn't be true that the park tickets are only valid for that day if they are marked with an expiration date of 2 months after the event. I think this girl was just misinformed by a mile. Thoughts?
And c. What costumes is everyone wearing for the Tinker Bell 1/2? I will be going as Tinkerbell in Black, and DH will be going as the Crocodile... Woot!

Yay!!

A. I am SO EXCITED! Woot Woot! This will be Dh and my Second runDisney half marathon. (Our 3rd total) We are running for charity. We are running for Kellsie's Hope Foundation. When we ran for them for Avengers, we received park tickets that said they were valid until dec.15th. So, Annual Pass holder hotline said we could apply the tickets to our AP monthly payments, So, Dec. 15th, we went to DLR to apply the tickets to our AP bill. The gal in the booth kind of TOTALLY freaked out. She said there was no way that we could apply them to our AP bill and that even though the tickets said they were valid until DEC 15. they were not valid and could only be used on the Half marathon day.
But, then she said she could make an exception this time but the tickets are usually only good for the marathon day. I can tell you, after the half marathon, there was no way we wanted to go into the park. We went home, showered and crashed. So, my question is this, if anyone knows, we are getting 2 more park tickets from the charity we are running for, and will be wanting to apply them to our bill again, because we have passes, we don't need them. And B. It couldn't be true that the park tickets are only valid for that day if they are marked with an expiration date of 2 months after the event. I think this girl was just misinformed by a mile. Thoughts?
And c. What costumes is everyone wearing for the Tinker Bell 1/2? I will be going as Tinkerbell in Black, and DH will be going as the Crocodile... Woot!

As for the park tix, if there's an expiration date on them they're usually good until that date. That being said, I don't think the race tix can be used as part payment. I tried that the 1st Tink when the 5k was at night and they gave you a park tix w/ reg and was told no you couldn't do that, b/c they were special prices and events. Also, once you have the race tix, I don't believe you can change or upgrade them unless, for example, you buy tix through Get Travel (who does the discounted park tix for races) and upgrade directly through them. Do you have an AP other than the Premium? Maybe you could use them when you have a blackout date and want to go to the parks?

Costumes for me are Smee for the 5k, Tink-esque for the 10k (wearing all green) and Hook for the 1/2. I have the Raw Threads top that I've used in the past w/ red arm warmers, just don't know how much I'll really need these in May. :rotfl2:

Yay!!

As for the park tix, if there's an expiration date on them they're usually good until that date. That being said, I don't think the race tix can be used as part payment. I tried that the 1st Tink when the 5k was at night and they gave you a park tix w/ reg and was told no you couldn't do that, b/c they were special prices and events. Also, once you have the race tix, I don't believe you can change or upgrade them unless, for example, you buy tix through Get Travel (who does the discounted park tix for races) and upgrade directly through them. Do you have an AP other than the Premium? Maybe you could use them when you have a blackout date and want to go to the parks?

Costumes for me are Smee for the 5k, Tink-esque for the 10k (wearing all green) and Hook for the 1/2. I have the Raw Threads top that I've used in the past w/ red arm warmers, just don't know how much I'll really need these in May. :rotfl2:

Awe, ok. I guess the AP phone line was incorrect in their info. No, we have Premium AP's , so no block out dates. The tickets we get are perks from running for the charity group. I guess Ill talk to them. Id hate for them to go to waste.
You are going to look so cute! And Arm warmers! Yes! I could have used those last time.
We are running the Hollywood Half in a few weeks, and that will be the last one until Tink. :hyper::bitelip::hyper:

We are running the Hollywood Half in a few weeks, and that will be the last one until Tink. :hyper::bitelip::hyper:

Nice! I've always wanted to do that one, but always have something else that weekend. I'm doing a run in Santa Cruz that Sun and then Big Sur 2 weeks after that.

I really should start thinking about wether or nor I want to do a costume this time around. We did something simple for the Star Wars 10K which kind of got me wanting to do something a tiny bit more elaborate for Tink but I'm not sure what. Maybe I'll see if my rookie who loves making costumes can help. I think I'd love to do something for the 10K for sure.

I need to find my thinking hat.

Just wanted to say Good Luck and Good Running to all of you brave/dedicated souls running the Tinkerbell from a former runner with surgically repaired ankles who can't run...but is making the trip down to cheer on a few friends and cousins. :lmao:

Have a great time!!! :goodvibes Can't wait to see all the creative costumes :yay:

Nice! I've always wanted to do that one, but always have something else that weekend. I'm doing a run in Santa Cruz that Sun and then Big Sur 2 weeks after that.

Kim are you doing Santa Cruz half?? I live in Salinas and have been thinking of that one

I really should start thinking about wether or nor I want to do a costume this time around. We did something simple for the Star Wars 10K which kind of got me wanting to do something a tiny bit more elaborate for Tink but I'm not sure what. Maybe I'll see if my rookie who loves making costumes can help. I think I'd love to do something for the 10K for sure.

I need to find my thinking hat.

Mine are really more themed ~ Smee is a blue and white stripped shirt w/ a blue sparkle skirt over my capris and a red beanie and Hook is the RT shirt and a red skirt. My other Disney costumes are also simple and themed. Mostly iron-ons and accessorized so it's cheap and easy. This was my Matterhorn from Avengers. Think I might use it again for the DL 1/2, b/c I like a lot.
[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/exr7fCM3j][/URL]

The back had the safety saying and a cutout of the monorail.

Kim are you doing Santa Cruz half?? I live in Salinas and have been thinking of that one

I am! 1st time running it. Thought I saw there's a hill midpoint and it's the start of taper for Big Sur so perfect course to run and the medal looks kinda cool too.

I am! 1st time running it. Thought I saw there's a hill midpoint and it's the start of taper for Big Sur so perfect course to run and the medal looks kinda cool too.

I want to do 6 halfs this year and this would be 7, but I could use it for my pixie dust challenge training. You're awesome for doing big sur!!!

I want to do 6 halfs this year and this would be 7, but I could use it for my pixie dust challenge training. You're awesome for doing big sur!!!

Thanks! :goodvibes A little worried about Hurricane Point and the last 7 or so miles. That part is undulating almost the whole way and you're really at an angle. I just finished writing out my plan and I have hill training every week and lots ankle exercises. Hopefully it pays off and I can PR or get back to close PR at Tink and break it in SD at the end of May.

This will be my second half marathon (Tink last year was my first) and I'm finding that I'm way less motivated to run than I was before. The event is so fun but the actual running and training part not so much for me. I'm supposed to be following the Jeff Galloway program from the runDisney website but I've done only a few runs so far.

I have this idea that maybe I will just do one long run with walking intervals once a week, plus 3-4 days of lifting and/or cardio per week. Does this sound like a horrible plan? I don't need to finish fast or PR, just want to finish. If this works, would it be better to use the miles for the program (where every other week is shorter) or gradually increase miles each week?

This will be my second half marathon (Tink last year was my first) and I'm finding that I'm way less motivated to run than I was before. The event is so fun but the actual running and training part not so much for me. I'm supposed to be following the Jeff Galloway program from the runDisney website but I've done only a few runs so far.

I have this idea that maybe I will just do one long run with walking intervals once a week, plus 3-4 days of lifting and/or cardio per week. Does this sound like a horrible plan? I don't need to finish fast or PR, just want to finish. If this works, would it be better to use the miles for the program (where every other week is shorter) or gradually increase miles each week?

I would say alot of it depends on your current fitness. People have finished before doing nothing or almost nothing. I would say do a long run/cutback run 1x per week and run/walk or cardio 2x during the week as well. As for which plan, that also depends on where you are fitness-wise currently. If you have a base then the cutback seems like it would be ok; if there really isn't a base, health and injury prevention wise, it's better to gradually increase the miles. And how far your longest run is, is the same way; some people can do it w/8, some need 10, and some go the whole 13.

While lifting alone will keep the muscles there, it's all about building up your endurance for the 13 miles and that's where the cardio is more beneficial than lifting. Lifting will help you a little though, I lift the whole year. But when I get about 10 weeks out from a race I switch to more endurance lifting where I do really low weights and high reps like 20-25.

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter