2016 Free Dining Watch ~ Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will not happen, so plan accordingly.....

giphy.gif
This gif made me giggle more than it should have.

Guess we will be switching our normal week up then this year. We typically go the week before Thanksgiving, but I do not want to hit Thanksgiving crowds with a 11/15 start date. We will arrive now after Thanksgiving. My only worry is higher flight prices traveling that weekend.

It will be fun to see the Epcot Christmas attractions though that we have never gotten to see.

I went the Friday before Thanksgiving till the Monday after Thanksgiving back in 2002. Things shore have changed since then. During that entire trip it was very light when it came to crowds. Also, none of the Christmas decorations and activities started until Thanksgiving day itself. It was quite magical being there for 6 days with the regular off season look, and 4 days full with Holiday Cheer! My understanding now is that they phase out the Halloween, and transition to Christmas almost right away. Adds more time to enjoy the parties that way. Also, I hear that it is much busier than it use to be.

Guess we will be switching our normal week up then this year. We typically go the week before Thanksgiving, but I do not want to hit Thanksgiving crowds with a 11/15 start date. We will arrive now after Thanksgiving. My only worry is higher flight prices traveling that weekend.

It will be fun to see the Epcot Christmas attractions though that we have never gotten to see.

I doubt any TG crowds will arrive that early...

So what are everyones thoughts about the disney website handling traffic on the launch? Stitch is always eating my page on a regular day... Anyone had any luck of booking online? If so what time did you do it?

I know it appears strange based on historical data, but to me it makes sense, as I imagine people start checking out right after Thanksgiving, right when that little three-day period is. I'm more in awe of checking in Monday, Nov 21, and getting to have FD through Thanksgiving.
Yes!! This is what I can't get over! I would think it would mobbed over Thanksgiving! Wonder how many rooms they will actually have available. I imagine it will be pretty slim pickings.

I'm in the same boat here. Always loved that week before Thanksgiving, but 11/15 is much too close to the crowds. Looking at the week after as well. What additional Christmas attractions have I been missing out on?
I'm not as worried about airfare, in my preliminary comparisons, it seemed comparable.

So what are everyones thoughts about the disney website handling traffic on the launch? Stitch is always eating my page on a regular day... Anyone had any luck of booking online? If so what time did you do it?
I booked at 7:30am online two years ago the day it was released without a problem. But I imagine earlier would be better this year.

This site is awesome. And makes me so anxious at the same time !!!! My husband can't stand me talking about this vacation anymore. Lol. Every morning at 6 am I am up and reading the blog and looking at MDE. I tell him to get over it. Once booked we will be calm i down ( not really ;). ). I have 2 questions We are traveling w 2 4 year olds ( one girl one boy). We are traveling w friends and their 4 year old daughter , Do you like CBR or port Orleans ? We have stayed in Coronado and loved it ! It's such a resort feel ! But I had heard someone say it's gone down hill that it was dirty. The buses were ok. Crowded. But many buses ! Never waited more than 5-10 min for a bus . The other resort we stayed at was Old Key West . We loved the room. It was an amazing , quiet resort when my son was a baby We Able to come back and nap them and still be able to move around, the room was huge over 1000 sq feet for 1 bedroom villa if I am not mistaken . But we didn't like key west for the fact that the food and pool were very far and you had to take a bus to get there . And not many good choices . That is probably because the rooms have a kitchen . I just am not sure what resort to try for 1 st. ? POR or CBR. ? And what time should we be looking in Monday ? Should we try online or wait til phones open ? Has anyone ever used a travel agent ?

This site is awesome. And makes me so anxious at the same time !!!! My husband can't stand me talking about this vacation anymore. Lol. Every morning at 6 am I am up and reading the blog and looking at MDE. I tell him to get over it. Once booked we will be calm i down ( not really ;). ). I have 2 questions We are traveling w 2 4 year olds ( one girl one boy). We are traveling w friends and their 4 year old daughter , Do you like CBR or port Orleans ? We have stayed in Coronado and loved it ! It's such a resort feel ! But I had heard someone say it's gone down hill that it was dirty. The buses were ok. Crowded. But many buses ! Never waited more than 5-10 min for a bus . The other resort we stayed at was Old Key West . We loved the room. It was an amazing , quiet resort when my son was a baby We Able to come back and nap them and still be able to move around, the room was huge over 1000 sq feet for 1 bedroom villa if I am not mistaken . But we didn't like key west for the fact that the food and pool were very far and you had to take a bus to get there . And not many good choices . That is probably because the rooms have a kitchen . I just am not sure what resort to try for 1 st. ? POR or CBR. ? And what time should we be looking in Monday ? Should we try online or wait til phones open ? Has anyone ever used a travel agent ?
Last year we traveled with my two boys (2.5 and 4 at the time). We stayed at CBR and loved it! I was a little bummed though because the pirate splash pool happened to be closed when we were there but they still had a great time in the regular fortress pool anyways! It's nice because it's zero entry so they can walk right in. This year I'm leaning more towards POR but only because when I look currently CBR only has preferred rooms and pirate rooms available when I want to stay and POR has more availability so I'm thinking I have a better chance there. Also POFQ just opened a Mardi Gras splash area last month that my boys (now 3 on 4/25!!! Hopefully his bday brings us FD and almost 5) will love! When I looked online it says the pools between POR and POFQ are .56 miles (about a 10 min walk) so I'm thinking we can go over there a few times during our stay. Regardless you'll have a great time at either!!! Both good choices!

Haha we are in the same boat! My Hubby can't wait for free dining to drop so I will leave him alone about it! :chat::crazy2:

And what time should we be looking in Monday ? Should we try online or wait til phones open ? Has anyone ever used a travel agent ?
On a NORMAL day DW website updates/opens for new bookings at 6a.m. EST. But when FD starts is not a normal day. I've seen on here that in past years FD becomes available at various times 12am, 4am, etc. Phone lines always open at 7am EST. So to summarize, website gets you earlier access.

We have stayed in Coronado and loved it ! It's such a resort feel ! But I had heard someone say it's gone down hill that it was dirty.
I hope that was an isolated incident. I've got my eye on Coronado for my upcoming trip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter