2016 Free Dining Watch

When are you trying to travel?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be there the same week this year. Figured with the food and wine it will be busy, but that's epcot so....We were there the week before last year and it was just as busy. I'm thinking the best time to go is in the spring.

:love2:I, like many others, am going no matter free dining or not. But the free dining would allow us the budget freedom to attend mvmcp and maybe buy a set of ears I don't need! So, I was at The World last September, 14-22 and it was so busy! How will Nov. 14 through 21 compare? Anyone that's been in Nov. Please chime in. Just husband and I.:earsgirl::earsboy:
Can't chime in based on previous years, but both TP calendars & Josh say the week before Thanksgiving is the best week in November, as you get there and out before the heavy crowds starts arriving 11/20-21, and there are no special events that week. Josh also personally comments that the week before Thanksgiving is one of his favorites as far as Christmas decorations/party and (usually) nice weather. We are also flexible, and we have decided to go this week. It's tough because you have Veteran's Day crowds 11th-12th, and then great days 13th-19th, and then craziness starting 20th. Our 1st choice of check-in is 11/12, followed by the 13th & 14th, and then the 15th. With the rumored FD dates, we will obviously choose 11/15 if we need to. Hope that helps!

I will admit that I have free dining from a BB from last year, but I like to join and follow this board because I enjoy that anticipation of the big announcement just like everybody else. I get to see and feel what they are going through. Went through it last year and I feel a kin ship.
I just want to say... That gave me a "warm and fuzzy" kind of feeling. How nice!

Last edited:
Regarding the November dates you mention, we were there on almost those exact dates last year and it was quite crowded. Touring Plans crowd calendar shows fairly low crowds for that period, as they did last year. However, their predicted low crowds ended up being much higher. I'm sure free dining during that period of time had a lot to do with the increased crowds! September definitely has the lower crowds but the weather in November is much better :-)
We are going this week this year, and I have read similar stories about last year. Interesting why both TP & Josh still support this week this year. We will wait and see. Just like we are waitingggggggggg for FD!

OMG I was offline for just over a day and the thread blew up. 75+ pages???!!!:chat: There's no way I can read through it all -- anything major that I missed? Did they announce anything?

I was looking on the Disney Visa website and reading through the perks and rewards. Nowhere does it indicate advance access to promotions. Not sure if this was ever listed as a perk or if it was just an added bonus or maybe they've decided to completely stop this practice. .

I don't remember it ever being listed on the Chase site or literature as a "perk" of the card but early access to FD has been offered in the past. Not last year, but definitely in '12 and '14 (when we took advantage of it)

Completely :offtopic:. Did you hear that Prince (the singer) died this morning?
Very sad. There's a rumor on blind gossip (since we're all about rumors on here) that he had AIDS and died from AIDS/flu complications. Regardless, it's a total tragedy. I wonder if Vanity had it too and that's why she passed away 2 months ago from complications.:guilty:

:love2:I, like many others, am going no matter free dining or not. But the free dining would allow us the budget freedom to attend mvmcp and maybe buy a set of ears I don't need! So, I was at The World last September, 14-22 and it was so busy! How will Nov. 14 through 21 compare? Anyone that's been in Nov. Please chime in. Just husband and I.:earsgirl::earsboy:

We have been the past two years that week and it is our favorite. Crowds are low to medium low depending on the day of the week. Though in comparison to September it will be higher crowds. The weather is great that time of the year though so it makes for easy touring though.

We are looking at that week again this year, but if the dates are as they say we will probably go the week after Thanksgiving. Crowds are suppose to be comparable and we could see the Epcot Christmas events which would be new to us.

We're looking at the week after Thanksgiving. Last year, I think crowds were possibly a little inflated due to the end of Osborne lights at DHS so it's hard to know what it'll be like this year. We considered going earlier in November, but wanted to have the opportunity to see the CP at Epcot so we had to wait 'til after Thanksgiving. I'm excited we might get to take advantage of free dining, but I imagine that'll drive crowds up more than usual for that week. Kind of a double-edged sword. <sigh>

Can't chime in based on previous years, but both TP calendars & Josh say the week before Thanksgiving is the best week in November, as you get there and out before the heavy crowds starts arriving 11/20-21, and there are no special events that week. Josh also personally comments that the week before Thanksgiving is one of his favorites as far as Christmas decorations/party and (usually) nice weather. We are also flexible, and we have decided to go this week. It's tough because you have Veteran's Day crowds 11th-12th, and then great days 13th-19th, and then craziness starting 20th. Our 1st choice of check-in is 11/12, followed by the 13th & 14th, and then the 15th. With the rumored FD dates, we will obviously choose 11/15 if we need to. Hope that helps!
It does! Thanks a bunch. 207 days to go! Lol I need help. :crazy:

I am also going no matter what! I made a fb status on New Years Eve that simply said #disney2016 and that is all my kids know.

However, I am forced into limited dates due to our oldest in college. I would not necessarily choose December unless I get free dining. I'd choose May (too close fir ADRs or August (kind of rushed with going back to school that month) instead.

Last edited:
We are going this week this year, and I have read similar stories about last year. Interesting why both TP & Josh still support this week this year. We will wait and see. Just like we are waitingggggggggg for FD!
See ya there!:) We are going Nov.14 to the 21. We may adjust our dates if we can get FD!

From what I remember, the discount dropped around 4:15 or so on the morning of the 27th. So, it was a weird time. Everyone's first thought was to wait until midnight, then nothing happened, so we were all like go to bed and wait until morning. The key was, I knew if the modify button would work, I wouldn't have to wait for the phone lines to open. So, when I got on around 5:15 and saw that as an option, I was so thankful! So, check your existing reservation first, and continue to check it, to see if the option is there to modify, then if it is, you should be good to go as the "add free dining to your existing reservation" will appear and can then be added without having to call Disney and get put on hold!!!

I'm assuming that you were able to keep your original resort and dates? We're currently booked for POFQ, but with it being excluded last year I bet it will be this year, too. I have a Plan B (CSR), but am curious if I will be able to change resorts online?

From what I remember, the discount dropped around 4:15 or so on the morning of the 27th. So, it was a weird time. Everyone's first thought was to wait until midnight, then nothing happened, so we were all like go to bed and wait until morning. The key was, I knew if the modify button would work, I wouldn't have to wait for the phone lines to open. So, when I got on around 5:15 and saw that as an option, I was so thankful! So, check your existing reservation first, and continue to check it, to see if the option is there to modify, then if it is, you should be good to go as the "add free dining to your existing reservation" will appear and can then be added without having to call Disney and get put on hold!!!
Even tho we've taken advantage of FD several times, I "missed out on the fun" (sarcasm) of last year. Good to hear your positive experience after hearing about so many nightmares. My question is: If it happens in the middle of the night (wee hours of morning) how will we know the promo has "dropped". Where should we look? I plan on setting my alarm for several times during the night Sun/Mon. My sleepy brain will not be functioning well as it is, so I'd better have definite plans of how to pull this off. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter