• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 31, 2017 - November 13, 2017

The last time I went on a Saturday, probably about four years ago, the walkway around World Showcase was packed. Wall to wall people. It was difficult to walk in some places. The lines for the kiosks ranged from 30 to 60 minutes each. I had a reservation for a special event in the late afternoon is why I went. Never again.

My recommendation would be to hit the kiosks at 11:00 am which is when they open. You may be able to sample some food items before the lines become excessive.
This^ I am fortunate now that I can go in the middle of the week because Saturdays were a nightmare for us. I'm hoping its calmed down, but the last time we went on a Saturday, the amount of drunks after 2pm was insane. It was actually just unpleasant. During the week, not nearly so bad so if you can only go on a weekend, Sunday is preferable. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for posting that link @crazy4wdw!I read a great review last year about a lunch in Tutto. I think it was a wine pairing though it could have been beer, but whichever it was, the food featured truffles.

Would love to go to one of these events, but I need to convince a member of my traveling group to join me. Reviews like this that I can show them will help me do that. :)

I did the wine and beer pairing at Via Napoli in 2015. It was one the best festival events that I ever attended. If its offered this year, I'm going to try for it again.

How do special events like French Family Meal traditions and the other food & wine pairing meals (like the hopefully-still-more-affordable-because-my-budget-is-starting-to-hurt Mediterranean one) handle allergies? We have a family member with gluten & dairy allergies and another who is allergic to a couple different fruits. We'd love to do one, maybe two of these events but given the price tags going and not being able to eat some courses would be a huge disappointment.

I did the wine and beer pairing at Via Napoli in 2015. It was one the best festival events that I ever attended. If its offered this year, I'm going to try for it again.

I absolutely agree with you! We did it in 2015 and loved it so much that it was #1 on my list to book for 2016! It was just as wonderful last year! ;)

I keep seeing Saturdays are crazy but can somehow help define crazy? Due to random life circumstances, after literally 10 years of wanting to go for f&w, this year I can finally go! Only problem is it's a weekend trip (Oct) so the only day we can go is Sat (or no f&w at all this year). We've been to the parks for Thanksgiving and last year during Christmas week even and managed to making it work so I'm guessing we should be ok...? Just 2 adults, no kids. I figure since its a short time, the plan is to explore booths and likely not attempt any demos or shows this time, and hopefully turn this into an annual thing.
We were at Disney for a late October trip 2 years ago and I thought the food booths were manageable on Saturday from morning until around 2, then was pretty busy after. I'd be surprised if a Saturday for F&W was more busy than Christmas week.

Honestly if you can buy enough to drink on a Saturday afternoon/evening at Food and Wine to get drunk I am impressed. (Especially with the measly sizes Disney serves. I'm assume all you do is stand in line at one booth because the lines move so slow you probably have plenty of time to nurse tiny drink one while waiting).

And no, just because it's a group of people having fun that does not automatically translate to "drunk". So if you decide to make that assumption realize Yes we heard you accuse us, yes we were sober, yes we acted wilder just to watch you have a hissy fit.....we still laugh about the woman who appointed herself "temperance policewoman" and tried to loudly shame us to quit drinking. After all, that water in the bottles was "probably straight vodka". (I can't imagine how bad that would actually taste but I chugged that water while she complained)

The "drunks" are not a real problem, it's the huge masses of people. It is unbelievable how crowded it gets. I leave by 1 and only return if I have PFTS, even then it's like salmon swimming upstream to get from International Gateway to the party

Oh the "drunk" chant. Honestly if you can buy enough to drink on a Saturday afternoon/evening at Food and Wine I am impressed. (Especially with the measly sizes Disney serves. I'm assume all you do is stand in line at one booth because the lines move so slow you probably have plenty of time to nurse tiny drink one while waiting).

And no, just because it's a group of people having fun that does not automatically translate to "drunk". Yes we heard you, yes we were sober, yes we acted wilder just to watch you have a hissy fit.....we still laugh about the woman who appointed herself "temperance policewoman" and tried to loudly shame us to quit drinking. After all, that water in the bottles was "probably straight vodka". (I can't imagine how bad that would actually taste but I chugged that water while you complained)

The "drunks" are not a real problem, it's the huge masses of people. It is unbelievable how crowded it gets. I leave by 1 and only return if I have PFTS, even then it's like salmon swimming upstream to get from International Gateway to the party

Great post! And speaking of International Gateway, I wonder how crowded it might get now that the gondolas will be getting constructed. :confused3 As of now they only have the lawn area blocked off, but I don't know of anyone who has a timeline as to how construction will progress/affect IG.

Honestly if you can buy enough to drink on a Saturday afternoon/evening at Food and Wine to get drunk I am impressed. (Especially with the measly sizes Disney serves. I'm assume all you do is stand in line at one booth because the lines move so slow you probably have plenty of time to nurse tiny drink one while waiting).

And no, just because it's a group of people having fun that does not automatically translate to "drunk". So if you decide to make that assumption realize Yes we heard you accuse us, yes we were sober, yes we acted wilder just to watch you have a hissy fit.....we still laugh about the woman who appointed herself "temperance policewoman" and tried to loudly shame us to quit drinking. After all, that water in the bottles was "probably straight vodka". (I can't imagine how bad that would actually taste but I chugged that water while she complained)

I'd agree that crowds are the biggest problem on weekends at F&W, but we most definitely HAVE come across drunk people who WERE obnoxious and a problem as well. Portion size at F&W notwithstanding, some obviously manage to get drunk somehow!

How do special events like French Family Meal traditions and the other food & wine pairing meals (like the hopefully-still-more-affordable-because-my-budget-is-starting-to-hurt Mediterranean one) handle allergies? We have a family member with gluten & dairy allergies and another who is allergic to a couple different fruits. We'd love to do one, maybe two of these events but given the price tags going and not being able to eat some courses would be a huge disappointment.

I do not have allergies, but watched them deal with someone who did at the french family meal traditions. First, when you book it you let them know and they put you on a list. Then when you enter the sign in once again they ask if anyone has allergies that has not already disclosed. They then took the woman aside who had them and spoke with her. You get tons of courses at this meal and its sat family style so you may be sat with people you do not know, if that is a factor in how severe the allergy is and its set off by more then just consumption.

Wow, not sure where that rant came from. I am basing this on my own experience as an AP holder and former CM who has 'done' the F&W festival. I have no problem with drinking and having fun, I was stating there are large groups who do a "Drinking Around the World" pub crawl on Saturdays during the festival, and yes, it's noticeable and yes, it is unpleasant for others. If the large crowds and drunken groups are up your alley, kudos to you, but not everyone is prepared for it hence the sharing of my experience. It doesn't cost THAT much to get drunk at Epcot, only if you're relying on the F&W carts.

Absolutely loved the French Family Lunch in 2015. Highly recommend it. Tons of food with stories about its origin/history, lots of wine!
So glad you loved it. I think it looks fabulous. Going into it, I thought I'd pick the afternoon, but there's something about the meal that just looks amazing.

Cheers!

I'm sure people have thought I'm drunk when I'm not.

Food not agreeing with my stomach was the cause.

If I'm drunk - I'm giggly not in the bushes

My opinion on Saturdays is to be at the Worls Showcase entry at 10:45 - sometimes the booths open early. We wont do the rides and try to be done by 1/2 which usually isn't a problem as we are full by then

I could probably get drunk on the itty-bitty drinks at F&W, but I have one of the world's lowest tolerances to alcohol.

After dealing with Breakfasts, Brunches, Lunches and Party for the Senses bookings for years, we are just gonna stick with the Swolphin F&W Fest. So glad we dont have to deal with the special events anymore. Booking them was such a chore in the past. Hope everyone has a fantastic F&W Season!!

From my experience I can say that the events held in France & Italy both go out of their way to accommodate dietary allergies & health issues. My mother can not mix seafood with alcohol. She also can not have anything with nuts or seeds due to digestive problems. They have always provided substitute items for her to eat if the normal menu for the event has something she can't eat. Sometimes times I'm a little jealous of what she gets fed in place of the scheduled menu. Also in my experience I don't normally mention the dietary issues when we book because it has never shown up on their lists when we check in. We usually either drop by the day before to let them know or just inform them at check-in. I've also tried calling after making the reservation about the dietary issues and that has never worked either. Once we even went to the place in France a few days before to verify they had the dietary issues noted that I had told them when I originally made the reservation. They didn't have the info but took it down then. On the day of the event there still was no notation on our reservation about the dietary issues.

A question around alcohol, and guessing not just at F&W but anywhere on site and Orlando generally - what ID is accepted and how likely is it to get asked for ID. (Asking after seeing the DL thread, where another kiwi was id'd every time, and needed her passport - is that a state thing, or will we need to carry our passports around with us? We aren't young enough to need to be asked, both in our 40s, lol).

Our Epcot day is Friday Day 2 of F&W. thoughts on crowds, should we switch our Epcot day to Thursday day 1? We are not 1000% into the festival maybe pop in to check things out here and there. But don't want the crowds to put any dampers on our park day and strolling thru willed showcase.

What would you do?

A question around alcohol, and guessing not just at F&W but anywhere on site and Orlando generally - what ID is accepted and how likely is it to get asked for ID. (Asking after seeing the DL thread, where another kiwi was id'd every time, and needed her passport - is that a state thing, or will we need to carry our passports around with us? We aren't young enough to need to be asked, both in our 40s, lol).

I would take your ID. I got ID'd on my 30th birthday (Made. My. Day) and actually my Mum has been ID'd plenty of times too. I just take my drivers license though (photo ID) and that's always accepted. One time I forgot my ID - first day of honeymoon and I had to have water whilst my husband enjoyed his wine in Italy :eek: We have friends nearing 40s who have been ID'd, I'm sure you're plenty young-looking-enough ;) Better safe than sober...!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter