2017 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 31, 2017 - November 13, 2017

...I need to know what morning I need to get up at o dark thirty to book my special events.
I keep considering the merits of just making it an all-nighter out here in CA with some great Netflix binging- but then I remember I'm booking non-refundable events costing me $$$ + CMs that can get very confused = recipe for potential disaster. I keep coming to the same conclusion: better to opt for really sleep deprived instead of totally sleep deprived.

I hope the schedule of the culinary demos is released soon. Isn't it usually out by the middle of July? And since the F&W starts earlier this year, I'd hope the schedule comes out soon.

DH and I are seriously considering getting the Dining Plan (alas, not free) for our stay in October intead of paying OOP as originally planned. This is because we plan to eat our way around Epcot at least twice. We've never used the dining plan (in fact, first trip).

Can someone explain to me how snack/counter service credits work at the booths? If I exchange a CS credit for 3 snack credits (as mentioned above) must they all be used at the same booth? Will the food items offered at the booths during F&W count as snacks? All? Some? Which ones?

I really appreciate the help so we can decide if in this instance DP might actually save us money!

I wouldn't get it for F&W unless they bring back the premium package (or some other way of lumping kiosks together for purchasing from all at one register) AND you are going to be there for a time period that allows for use of that package (the aforementioned package was good for a Sunday-Thursday of one week - and not spanning a weekend - PERIOD).

DH and I did it for our honeymoon, and were only able to get the value out of the package by knowing exactly what we could do and using the premium areas, during the week that coincidentally was Sunday - Friday. It adds a whole new layer to your planning that can get overly complex and not really save you any money at all. It was a game for me, and hubby just played along since I was clearly enjoying it. Without those options, it's better to pay OOP, because that'll structure the spending the way you want and fits best to F&W instead of the way Disney thinks most people should want.

When you redeem a counter service credit for three "snacks" you must do it all in one transaction and pick out three items that count as snacks to purchase. If a CM says you can't do it, then suggest gently that they go find someone who does know how to do it, because it's doable. Keep the item count to exactly three, or someone's head will explode.

Some wiser person than I has estimated the value of a QS credit at something like $16.50, so if the items you are getting are not all worth $5.50 each, then it's not a good use of that snack credit. With two, you might be able to pull it off for some, but not all of your QS redemptions. Snack credits are deemed "worth it" at somewhere over $5 in redemption, I think.

If you get the full DDP, then you have to contend with one TS credit per night of your stay, per person, which if you're trying to spend more time nomming at booths can put you in a bit of a pickle. We used all of ours on three signature meals, so we had surf and turf at Narcoossee, steaks at the Yachtsman, and more steak at Le Cellier while we were there, just so we could use them all and get the most we could out of them.

If it helps, get yourself a F&W gift card and load it with $200 or so at a time. See how that goes. We're going that route this year, except that I might get a lanyard for drinks if they make sense. Don't lose the gift card or the lanyard, though... You'll be sad.

I wouldn't get it for F&W unless they bring back the premium package (or some other way of lumping kiosks together for purchasing from all at one register) AND you are going to be there for a time period that allows for use of that package (the aforementioned package was good for a Sunday-Thursday of one week - and not spanning a weekend - PERIOD).
<SNIP>

Great advice! We've gone round and round on this. When we had originally planned to go, the premium package was still available. Life interfered and we cancelled our plans. When we made our ressies for October, we talked about getting the DP and decided to pay OOP because there's no way we will eat that much, even though we have one TS meal each night as part of our, "Let's see if we like Disney" goal. (Yes, that's a thing; first-timers here!)

Then I read kiosk menus to DH and he began moaning that we couldn't eat everything. I pointed out we could eat as much as we chose so long as we set a budget and didn't balk at "sampling." That's when the extra snack credit idea came up.

However, after a couple days, we're back to OOP. It just works better. This way we can share an appetizer and entree if we want. I just can't eat that much on my own!

Great advice! We've gone round and round on this. When we had originally planned to go, the premium package was still available. Life interfered and we cancelled our plans. When we made our ressies for October, we talked about getting the DP and decided to pay OOP because there's no way we will eat that much, even though we have one TS meal each night as part of our, "Let's see if we like Disney" goal. (Yes, that's a thing; first-timers here!)

Then I read kiosk menus to DH and he began moaning that we couldn't eat everything. I pointed out we could eat as much as we chose so long as we set a budget and didn't balk at "sampling." That's when the extra snack credit idea came up.

However, after a couple days, we're back to OOP. It just works better. This way we can share an appetizer and entree if we want. I just can't eat that much on my own!

totally agree. I hate being tied into 3 meals/snacks, etc. Neither me nor my DH eat that much - especially on vacation.

If you're going to experience food and wine, then OOP is far more useful than the dining plan IMHO. Your appetite won't hold up to as robust a schedule as the dining plan would have you on to use all your credits and still save money.

We just don't eat that many sit-down meals, and at F&W, we want them even less. Our companion couple for this trip likes sit-downs, so we may experience more restaurant eating than in our last two trips combined, and at restaurants we would normally pass on because we'd rather eat at the festival. Breakfast is usually a piece of fruit and a pop tart in the room or on the bus on the way to the park for us, too, so eliminating one third of our meals as a function of our budget really impacts the usefulness of the plan.

Just read on another website that there is a F & W Festival Media Preview being held on July 13 so hopefully we will finally get some new detailed info about this year's festival events, booking dates & hopefully booth menus.

The Media preview is on Friday the 14th. :-D

We did the same thing....started out with DDD, but then after watching how much we eat (or lack of eating) we decided it didn't make any sense to get the plan or even the resort cups, as we only drink water. So we are just going to get gift cards and enjoy the lack of plans! This will be an odd trip, no kids, no plans....it should be interesting :) I think we will find we are having a lot more fun not being tied to reservations and food.

Is this the first time for the Brunch series...if not has anyone attended in the past?

We have reservations for burnch at CA Grill for Oct. 29th but we're on the fence with the Il Mulino brunch...now this...?

Any advice?

We did the same thing....started out with DDD, but then after watching how much we eat (or lack of eating) we decided it didn't make any sense to get the plan or even the resort cups, as we only drink water. So we are just going to get gift cards and enjoy the lack of plans! This will be an odd trip, no kids, no plans....it should be interesting :) I think we will find we are having a lot more fun not being tied to reservations and food.

Totally agree - think you'll love the new found freedom.

Is this the first time for the Brunch series...if not has anyone attended in the past?

We have reservations for burnch at CA Grill for Oct. 29th but we're on the fence with the Il Mulino brunch...now this...?

Any advice?

I am lost, where's the brunch series. Was thinking of the Parisian Breakfast again, but... this might be a better alternative.

Thanks! Didn't realize we were talking about the "What's Cooking With"

I won't do that again. I was not impressed. You got a pre-plated breakfast that was OK and you just sat there and ate.... then the chef came out with the world's most obnoxious hostess and did a quick demo of his dish which was then served. I assumed the chef was there talking the entire meal, but he/she is just a short part of basically a boring meal :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter