2017 Holidays at Disney World: What's New & What's Returning

PlutoTheDog89

DIS Veteran
Disney recently announced a few of its offerings for the holiday season. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t excited. Sure, I’m currently wrapping up the plans for our first Halloween trip, but Christmas and the holiday season will always have a special place in my heart.

It’s never too early to start planning your holiday vacation. We start planning our next Christmas trip on January 1st, as we sit in the airport awaiting our flight back to New York. The holiday season goes by so fast, so you want to be sure to enjoy every last moment! With that said, I’ve compiled a list of everything new and returning in 2017. I should add a caveat that not everything is listed yet. Disney is yet to announce or confirm the return of a few favorites (like Jungle Cruise or the Hanukkah celebrations), but I’ll be sure to update as information is provided.

Magic Kingdom

Returning

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party – Mickey and friends are hosting a festive holiday celebration—and you’re invited. The separately ticketed event will take place select nights, November 9th through December 22nd.

A Frozen Holiday Wish – Anna and Elsa lead a celebration on the Castle Forecourt stage (at the front of Cinderella Castle) nightly from November 9th through December 31st. Featuring special appearances by Kristoff and Olaf, this merry-and-bright seasonal show culminates with Queen Elsa using her special powers to transform Cinderella Castle into a glimmering ice palace for the holidays.

Jingle Cruise* – The beloved Jungle Cruise gets a holiday makeover with tons of kitschy decorations and pun-filled holiday jokes. Since 2013, Jungle Cruise has been re-themed for the holidays, getting a new storyline, new decor, and even a few new jokes. The homesick skippers have decorated the boathouse with whatever they can find to get them through the holidays. The boats have been re-named and a special holiday broadcast can be heard over the radio. *Has not yet been confirmed by Disney for 2017. Will update once new information is available.

Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmastime Parade*– The parade, which headlines Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, will replace the Festival of Fantasy Parade during afternoons throughout the Christmas week. The show will take place most afternoons at 12:30pm and/or 3:30pm, starting December 23rd.
*Has not yet been confirmed by Disney for 2017. Will update once new information is available.

Hollywood Studios

What’s New

Sunset Seasons Greetings — Holiday scenes will be projected onto the Hollywood Tower Hotel (Tower of Terror) and will feature your favorite Disney characters, including Minnie and Mickey, characters from Toy Story, the Muppets and Olaf.

Holiday Decor Around Echo Lake — Extra-large ornaments, colorful garlands, and a giant Christmas tree centered on the water will make Echo Lake the merriest of places this holiday season. Even Dinosaur Gertie will be dressed for the occasion with a dino-sized Santa hat.

A new friend joins the cast of ‘For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along Celebration’ – Holiday fun continues at the Hyperion Theater as Anna, Elsa and Kristoff welcome Olaf to this popular sing-along celebration. Just for the holidays, the popular show will include, all-new songs from Disney’s new animated short “Olaf’s Frozen Adventure.”

Returning

“Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!” – The holiday-themed show combines state-of-the-art projections, fireworks, special effects, and Christmas music to create a one-of-a-kind holiday experience, capped off by Santa himself. The show returns on November 9th and will run through December 30th, 2017.

“Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!” Dessert Party – The nightly party includes holiday-inspired snacks, desserts, wine, beer, and specialty alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. A surprise Disney character will also join in on the fun, posing for pictures and signing autographs. The party also provides guests with reserved viewing of the “Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM!” nighttime spectacular. Book online or by calling (407) WDW-DINE.

Minnie’s Holiday Dine at Hollywood and Vine – Meet Minnie, Mickey, Daisy, Donald and Goofy for lunch and dinner celebrations centered on seasonal deliciousness. From November 6th through January 7th, Minnie will deck the halls for a banquet filled with holiday cheer and the joy of the season. To make a reservation, check availability and book online at com/dining or call (407) WDW-DINE.

Santa Claus at the Once Upon a Time Shop – Santa will be at the shop November, 9 through December, 24 daily to greet guests and listen to holiday wishes.

Santa Goofy at the Once Upon a Time Shop – Santa Goofy will step in from December, 25 through December, 31 after Santa returns to the North Pole.

EPCOT

What’s New

International Festival of the Holidays — This year's "Holidays Around the World" will be renamed to and transformed into the "International Festival of the Holidays".

During the festival, guests may experience the cultural holiday traditions of the 11 World Showcase pavilions. The event features live musical acts, seasonal food and beverages, and costumed performers throughout World Showcase.

The number of holiday kitchens will double in size, to a total of 15, each bringing the flavors of the season to life. New this year, guests can enjoy cookies and desserts at the holiday kitchen, located outside the Odyssey Complex. Sweet treats include snowflake sugar cookies and a warm apple fritter with cinnamon ice cream and caramel sauce. Celebrate holiday traditions from the Great White North with delicacies like the Maple Buche de Noel (maple mousse rolled in gingerbread chiffon cake with cranberry sauce and pecan crumble) at the Canada Pavilion.

Each country’s holiday heritage will come to life through sights and sounds around the World Showcase. An entertaining celebration of Hanukkah will take place in a new location along the World Showcase promenade, where a fun and interactive band interweaves the music of Hanukkah with jazz, Latin, rock and even hip-hop influences. Other returning holiday favorites include JOYFUL! A Gospel Celebration of the Season and Canadian Holiday Voyageurs.

Chip & Dale’s Christmas Tree Spree – Chip and Dale are collecting ornaments for their Christmas tree. Similar to the Remy statuette scavenger hunt during Food & Wine, and the Easter Egg hunt for Flower & Garden, guests can purchase a map and stickers from select merchandise locations and travel the World Showcase looking for the famous chipmunks with their ornaments. Guests can return their completed maps for a festive surprise, courtesy of Chip and Dale. Maps are available for $5.99 plus tax.

Returning

Candlelight Processional – One of the most popular events at Disney, the Candlelight Processional is not to be missed. A mass choir, joined by a 50-piece live orchestra and a celebrity narrator, tell the story of Christmas in words and music. This year’s narrators include Neil Patrick Harris, Whoopi Goldberg, and more! The Candlelight Processional is free with park admission, however, the best way to secure a seat is through the dining package at one of EPCOT’s restaurants. To book a Candlelight Processional meal, call (407) WDW-DINE.

Holiday Illuminations – Illuminations features a special “Peace on Earth” finale during the holiday season. There are plenty of spaces to view Illuminations throughout the World Showcase. I especially love the bridge between the UK Pavilion and France, or the seating area near Rose & Crown in the UK Pavilion. EPCOT also offers a dessert party, featuring delicious treats and reserved viewing for the show.

Animal Kingdom

Returning

Characters in Holiday-Themed Attire* – Select characters will be on-hand throughout Animal Kingdom, garbed in holiday attire. The meet-and-greet makes for a unique photo and keepsake from the holiday season.
*Has not yet been confirmed by Disney for 2017. Will update once new information is available.

Disney Springs

Returning

Christmas Tree Trail – Long rumored to be the new home of a scaled-down Osborne Lights, Disney quickly put the rumors to bed upon announcing a new Christmas Tree Trail at Disney Springs last year. The trail, which includes different Christmas trees, each decorated based on your favorite Disney characters and movies, will add a few more this year. Some of the themes include Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Frozen, a Villains-themed tree, and The Muppets.

Special Performances Celebrating Hanukkah* – Evening performances of songs and stories in honor of Hanukkah will be performed at Waterview Park in The Landing.

Special Performances Celebrating Kwanzaa* – A special performance celebrating Kwanzaa will be performed at Waterview Park in The Landing.

Resorts

Returning

*The following has not yet been confirmed by Disney for 2017, however, I suspect most will return. Will update once new information is available.

Resort Decorations and Trees – Most decorations will be up throughout the Walt Disney World Resorts by the second week of November. Each resort is decorated on-theme, with the the Value and Moderate resorts featuring small trees and decorations throughout the lobbies. The Deluxe Resorts feature far more grandiose trees and decorations, making them a must-stop during your Christmas trip.

Gingerbread Display at The Contemporary Resort* – A “Frozen” themed gingerbread display can be found on the 4th-floor concourse. Inspired by the art of Mary Blair, who designed the mural on the Contemporary concourse, the Ice Castle is decorated with “Frozen” characters Anna, Elsa, Olaf, Kristoff and Sven.

Life-Size Gingerbread House at Grand Floridian – A 16-foot Victorian gingerbread house is made from 1,050 pounds of honey, 600 pounds of powdered sugar, 800 pounds of flour, 700 lbs of Chocolate, 140 pints of egg whites and 35 pounds of spices. It even has smoke coming from the chimney! Plus, the gingerbread house actually serves as an operating store from which to purchase holiday goodies from 10am-10pm daily.

Edible Carousel at Disney’s Beach Club – A life-size edible carousel is located at Disney’s Beach Club Resort. The display features ponies made of fondant and modeling chocolate, giant candy cane poles, handcrafted snowflakes and 16 hidden Mickeys.

Edible Train Display at Disney’s Yacht Club – The edible train display features a rock candy mountain and village.

Ginger’s Bread and Cookie Shoppe at BoardWalk Inn –The BoardWalk Inn display has undergone some changes in the past year. One year it served as a boardwalk shop themed kiosk serving up different treats. Last year’s display was a bit more underwhelming. Regardless, the lobby is a gorgeous spot for photos—and Santa is usually on hand through December 24th!

Holiday Sleigh Rides at Fort Wilderness – From late November through Christmas week, Fort Wilderness offers horse-drawn carriage and sleigh rides throughout the backwoods of Fort Wilderness. Many campers decorate their campsite with intricate and over-the-top decorations, making it a fun experience filled with tons of “oohs” and “aahhs.”

Update:.
"Can't Miss" Holiday attractions, what to make time for, and what to skip.

Last edited:
Thank you so much PlutoTheDog89. This was exactly what I was looking for. I can't wait to read your next post on what to see and skip.

Thanks for posting the great list. We will be there Thanksgiving week and we are trying to make our trip as Christmas themed as possible.

How early does the gingerbread house at Grand Floridian go up? Will it be up by the week after Thanksgiving or is it not available until closer to December 25th?

Thanks for starting the thread! I've been watching for this one.

I've been planning a trip for 6 of us for mid-December. I'm starting to get very excited because my fast pass day is quickly coming up.

So far we've got a CP ADR for a Neil Patrick Harris night. I can't wait to use snack credits on the holiday food booths at Epcot. I'll be attending MVMCP on Dec 12. I'm ready for Disney's Christmas explosion they put on!

Really...you can do this...use snack credits at EPCOT food booths???

Definitely yes for Flower and Garden and Food and Wine festivals. I know last year some of the items at the Holiday food booths took snack credits and some didn't. I am hopeful that more items will use snack credits this year, so we'll see.

Did I read something somewhere about a star wars activity type thing at Disney Springs for the season?

Is it possible to see Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM and then make it in for Fantasmic? We will be at Hollywood Studios on Nov 10th. I planned on doing Fantasmic. We will be with a family that has never been to Disney World. Then I saw the holiday show will be going. The Jingle Bell/Bam is at 8pm. Fantasmic is at 8:30pm.

Thanks...
Jess

Is it possible to see Jingle Bell, Jingle BAM and then make it in for Fantasmic? We will be at Hollywood Studios on Nov 10th. I planned on doing Fantasmic. We will be with a family that has never been to Disney World. Then I saw the holiday show will be going. The Jingle Bell/Bam is at 8pm. Fantasmic is at 8:30pm.

Thanks...
Jess

No, you will have no time to get in to see Fantasmic if you are watching JBJB.

I am looking to do a dessert party the week going in to Thanksgiving and I have never tried them yet. I am tossed between the Jingle Bell Jingle Jam in HS or The Holiday Dessert Party on the Plaza in MK? Has anyone ever done both? I am trying to figure out which is better and if its even worth it for the price for a family of 4. I appreciate your feedback! :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter