2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

This feels like black friday for me. Idk if ill be able to get any sleep. Hopefully it comes out this monday. Idk if I can take having to wait up for another night if it doesn't drop.

Thoughts on upgrading to a higher tier? I feel like that destroys the value of “free dining.”

Okay, so at that point, it's not "free" dining, but "discounted" dining. It will still be a deal for us, as the TS meals I have booked are all character dining except for Ohana dinner.

As for what I'll do on Monday? I like sleep. I need sleep. I'll get up at 6 when my alarm usually goes off. If it means I don't get it, I will live.

People are asking about the 'Modify Reservation' button in relation to party tickets.

I purchased tickets through the website yesterday for MNSSHP. These tickets were automatically added to my MDE account.

I just went in now and attempted to modify the reservation I have booked for November (the one I'm hoping to modify to a FD offer) and the 'Change' button is still there and works as it did prior to purchasing my tickets.

The only thing that might make a difference is that my party tickets are for August and the package I am attempting to modify is in late November.

I currently have a standard room booked. Do I need to change it to preferred to qualify for FD?

These are EST times? I'm on the West Coast so we're 2 hours behind. I feel like I'm going to be up all night :scared:

Yes! Those are EST....

Actually, those are Eastern DAYLIGHT times, not EST.

And if you're on the west coast, you're THREE hours behind, not two. So if it drops at 5:30 EDT, that will be 2:30 your time.

Your original post was a bit confusing. It looks like you're asking about upgrading the dining plan, not upgrading the resort or room, correct? If you want to go from QSDP to the regular DDP, the cost is $23 per night per adult. If you want a TS meal for every night you're staying, it's a great deal. If you only want one or two TS meals over your stay, it may not be.

Apologies for the confusion. I was asking about whether it would still be worth it to take free dining over a RO offer if you then upgraded the "free" QSDP offered to guests of a value resort to the regular dining plan. I had planned on having one table service meal every night I'm staying. So maybe I should reconsider taking FD over a room only discount (although I am an AP, so I'm unsure what that discount would look like when it drops in - maybe - June).

One more question -- do I need to have a package booked to be able to modify to get FD? Right now, I have a room only reservation.

Last edited:
Actually, those are Eastern DAYLIGHT times, not EST.

And if you're on the west coast, you're THREE hours behind, not two. So if it drops at 5:30 EDT, that will be 2:30 your time.
Well I am actually in Utah- so we are on Mountain time not Pacific time.
Hahaha I am just trying to mentally prepare to be up all night :stitch:

Ok so I noticed the UK free dining doesnt give free dining to value resorts it gives only breakfast! Anyone else worry that may be the case with the free dining that may come out on Mon? Lord I hope not while I dont need it for my trip my family is staying in a cars suite at AOA... I hate to have to change the to a mod where they loose the separate bedroom

Apologies for the confusion. I was asking about whether it would still be worth it to take free dining over a RO offer if you then upgraded the "free" QSDP offered to guests of a value resort to the regular dining plan. I had planned on having one table service meal every night I'm staying. So maybe I should reconsider taking FD over a room only discount (although I am an AP, so I'm unsure what that discount would look like when it drops in - maybe - June).

One more question -- do I need to have a package booked to be able to modify to get FD? Right now, I have a room only reservation.

You really need to sit down and do some math. You don't need to have the package to modify. When you go to the "change reservation" you should see current offers and when you choose FD, it will add all the necessary components. I guess you know you don't have to use the tickets required and can save them for a future date, but you do need to include them in your cost.

Ok so I noticed the UK free dining doesnt give free dining to value resorts it gives only breakfast! Anyone else worry that may be the case with the free dining that may come out on Mon? Lord I hope not while I dont need it for my trip my family is staying in a cars suite at AOA... I hate to have to change the to a mod where they loose the separate bedroom

NO WORRIES. The UK has had the "breakfast plan" at values for several years now. U.S. does the one QS free during the summer months, and this year they threw out the "kids eat free" for late summer, but I don't think that one had many takers. Fall free dining should remain the same for U.S.

Blue Jasmine, that is something they do for the UK offer and have for some time

You really need to sit down and do some math. You don't need to have the package to modify. When you go to the "change reservation" you should see current offers and when you choose FD, it will add all the necessary components. I guess you know you don't have to use the tickets required and can save them for a future date, but you do need to include them in your cost.

I just quickly did some math. It looks like I'm right at the tipping point. And that's assuming I could get the same (larger) AP discount.

I think that with a standard 15% RO discount, the free dining promotion would be a better deal for me, given where I already have ADRs. Particularly since I'm going to be renewing my AP anyway - I'll apply the ticket cost to the renewal price.

We're upgrading to the regular dining plan from QSDP, and i was wondering if for a TS meal, can you pay for a kid's meal with cash if you're using the dining plan for the adults? DD11 was looking at some menus but only wants what is on the kids menu...will they let her order from the kids menu even though she's 11?

NO WORRIES. The UK has had the "breakfast plan" at values for several years now. U.S. does the one QS free during the summer months, and this year they threw out the "kids eat free" for late summer, but I don't think that one had many takers. Fall free dining should remain the same for U.S.
Wew thanks I needed that encouragement I was online practicing modifying to a moderate LMAO. My son was like I really didnt want all of us to be in the same room but if I have to... that definitely makes me feel better..

If these November dates are in fact the dates we get for US residents, I am bummed :( Our dates are November 14-18, can't change them since my husband got that time off right now and he can't move his schedule with work obligations. While I'm disappointed, I know that the dates may change but I am not too confident they'll add November dates, just summer ones. I also know it's not a deal breaker since we're going anyway but it's kind of downer. At least now I can stay at POR and not be excluded. The resort choices in the mod category right now are pretty bleak with all the construction. Bluh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter