2018 Free Dining Watch Thread V3

People say it gets harder and harder to book free dining every year and there is less room inventory. That's true.
I believe it's a result of all this pre-booking.

Wasn't the modify/change button just added to online reservations a few years ago? Prior to that, it was much easier to secure free dining. Disney is only releasing fewer rooms because they have fewer rooms to release.

So I’m wondering, why does Disney add dates in the end of December ( like the 23rd) if you could check in that day and apply it to length if stay, which could put you into Christmas week? Christmas week is the busiest week in Disney?
I've always wondered that myself.

The only thing about prebooking is there are tons and tons of people not like us that are going to Disney and paying full price and not knowing any better. I also think they use it as a way to entice people via ads and even if the common person does not get it because they are sold out they will still use it as the elusive unicorn, maybe if you book again you can get free dining or whatever they are selling at that moment.

I am booked we had a specific resort we wanted and our dates are set in stone. If I get it perfect if I have to use a room discount I will.

The only thing about prebooking is there are tons and tons of people not like us that are going to Disney and paying full price and not knowing any better. I also think they use it as a way to entice people via ads and even if the common person does not get it because they are sold out they will still use it as the elusive unicorn, maybe if you book again you can get free dining or whatever they are selling at that moment.

I am booked we had a specific resort we wanted and our dates are set in stone. If I get it perfect if I have to use a room discount I will.

My opinion, not that anyone cares, is that if you have your dates set and are happy with the offer you have great, book it. If a better offer comes out (free dining) that you can modify to, do it. However, I have seen comments of people who booked a room and if they can't get free dining, plan on canceling. I have even saw people state they have multiple reservations with the hopes that one will qualify to modify and plan on canceling the rest.

Ok Experts! I need you! Forgive me if this has already been asked. I researched a bit and didn't see this question anywhere.

Here is my question. I plan to book free dining when it comes out. I know I need to have park hopper tickets associated with the package to get free dining. My dilemma is that my daughter and I will be at WDW for all 7 days of our vacation but my college aged son will be joining us a day or two late and may be leaving a day early. Can his theme park hopper ticket be shorter (less days) than ours? Will that affect the free dining?

So I’m wondering, why does Disney add dates in the end of December ( like the 23rd) if you could check in that day and apply it to length if stay, which could put you into Christmas week? Christmas week is the busiest week in Disney?

Christmas week through the end of the year is the busiest time of year but that is due to day guest and not people staying on property. We have done this time of year many, many times with FD and the resorts are not always maxed out nor are the restaurants.

Ok Experts! I need you! Forgive me if this has already been asked. I researched a bit and didn't see this question anywhere.

Here is my question. I plan to book free dining when it comes out. I know I need to have park hopper tickets associated with the package to get free dining. My dilemma is that my daughter and I will be at WDW for all 7 days of our vacation but my college aged son will be joining us a day or two late and may be leaving a day early. Can his theme park hopper ticket be shorter (less days) than ours? Will that affect the free dining?
How I understand it is everyone needs to be on the same reservation with the same package. The only Way to have your son qualify would be to pay for him the entire time. Otherwise you pay him out of pocket and buy separate park tickets for him.

Last edited:

How I understand it is everyone needs to be on the same reservation with the same package. The o Love you! Way to have your son qualify would be to pay for him the entire time. Otherwise you pay him out of pocket and buy separate park tickets for him.

You can buy tickets for everyone at the lower number of days, then add days to the tickets that need it at the park/resort.

Christmas week through the end of the year is the busiest time of year but that is due to day guest and not people staying on property. We have done this time of year many, many times with FD and the resorts are not always maxed out nor are the restaurants.
Yes. We stay over Christmas with free dining and notice this too. The resorts never seem too busy and are not always at capacity. I think FD works to Disney's advantage over Christmas because rack rates are so high.

Can I book multiple rooms for people on my MDE? There are 6 of us and we want 3 rooms at POP. Do I have to do it as 3 separate reservations? I think it would be easier to just manage all the plans myself rather than have my mom and brother run their own.

Historically, does AoA family suites include QS, or are they on the signature dining plan?
Historically AoA rooms (excluding Little Mermaid rooms which were excluded from the FD offer) received the QSDP.

The rumours this year appear to be that AoA is not going to be included in the FD offer. These are only rumours at this time though so anything can change.

You can buy tickets for everyone at the lower number of days, then add days to the tickets that need it at the park/resort.
But what if OP’s son doesn’t have the required # of days for the promo. Can they still have him on the reservation?

Trying to understand this: are you saying I can go through MDE and “change my reservation”...? Then add the code for free dining?

I’ve always called to have special codes applied...

It's not a code...it's a special offer that will appear on the website's special offer page. If you have an existing reservation, go see if you have a "change reservation" and click on it (you won't hurt anything). Just see where it takes you and what info is there. It should have a special offers link which is where you'll go when FD becomes available.

Last year was minimum 2 day park hopper and 3 or 4 night minimum stay. Original post said 4 night minimum stay, not 4 day park hopper minimum.

BUT the very first rumor we saw DID have the 4-day ticket minimum along with the 4 night stay. It's not been on any of the recent ones posted, so perhaps it was incorrect.

But what if OP’s son doesn’t have the required # of days for the promo. Can they still have him on the reservation?
Everyone on the reservation has the same Dining plan and tickets. The only way around that is adding him at check in, which would also make him ineligible for free dining.

BUT the very first rumor we saw DID have the 4-day ticket minimum along with the 4 night stay. It's not been on any of the recent ones posted, so perhaps it was incorrect.

Thank you! I really thought I was losing it as when I went back to find a place to point to, I can no longer find where that info was. I guess time will tell the minimum ticket length that must be purchased.

This is correct and as long as you book the minimum needed for package(rumored to be 4 days now) you will be fine. Then as Moliphino mentioned, you can upgrade once there for others. You will all have same dining, and that means you will have extra credits from days son is not there that you can use for extra meals for you or doing some 2 credit meals with him. Since all are pooled together for the room, you can use those however you choose. This was a bonus for us when DD and I arrived a few days earlier than DH and DS, and we could do brft and dinner TS one day, and guys did LeCellier lunch one day for 2 credits.

If I book a package for 4, me, mom, DH and DD, can me and mom check in a few days early? I know I will have to have the same package for the whole room/group, but wondering if DH and DD not being there for the first few days will be an issue.

If I book a package for 4, me, mom, DH and DD, can me and mom check in a few days early? I know I will have to have the same package for the whole room/group, but wondering if DH and DD not being there for the first few days will be an issue.
As long as you all have the same package i don't see any issues you would have. Just make sure the reservation is in someones name that is checking in first so incase any issues arise :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter