2018 Princess Half Marathon

Joining the thread! Many years ago, I loved running and my friend and I had been planning to do the Princess Half. Then, I got pregnant and life got in the way. On February 28 of this year, I started the Couch to 5K program and have officially caught the running bug again. My friend and I have decided to try for the Princess Half in 2018. I've never done a runDisney event before. In fact, I've never done any timed race at all (but I am signed up to do my first 5K on Saturday and a 10K this June). I'm definitely channeling my inner Jessi Spano "I'm so excited! I'm so excited. I'm so scared!" More excited than scared, though. Hopefully we are both able to get registered. Anyway, nothing to really contribute at this time, but going to keep an eye on the thread. And, any tips for registration for a newbie runner are definitely appreciated.

Need advice: I did the 5K last year and loved it. Plan on doing the 5k again along with the 10k this year with my girlfriends. I am itching to do the half as well. BUT I am scared to death I won't be in shape enough for that. Along with doing all three races back to back to back....
(back story I run slower than a turtle through peanut butter so I'm also afraid of getting swept)

Advice for a new runner, wondering if she has the time to train for this level of running by Feb 2018?

Need advice: I did the 5K last year and loved it. Plan on doing the 5k again along with the 10k this year with my girlfriends. I am itching to do the half as well. BUT I am scared to death I won't be in shape enough for that. Along with doing all three races back to back to back....
(back story I run slower than a turtle through peanut butter so I'm also afraid of getting swept)

Advice for a new runner, wondering if she has the time to train for this level of running by Feb 2018?

When you say “new” have they just started running or have they been running for a few months?

Starting now (or waiting until registered for all three races), it can be done. However, it’s no small task. From now until October, building a solid foundation running base is the primary focus. October through race weekend will be building in longer runs; morning running sessions (if not already doing so), experimenting with fueling; trimming per mile pace down to 15 or even 14 minutes; etc.

The training can be done, but shouldn’t be taken lightly. If someone does all their running in the afternoons, it would be a rough morning trying to do three races back-to-back-to-back early in the morning. But with proper training, everything can turn out just fine.

I think it's doable. Pick a training plan that you know will work for your schedule/life and STICK TO IT.

Doing the 3 races in a row is pretty tiring...the 3 early wake-up calls in a row are pretty tough. For me, it totally ate into my park time.

Also consider what you want to achieve. You have a long enough time to train for all three-but make sure that's what you want. You could do the half without having to run the other two- that's an option. I feel like sometimes the Challenge Mania takes over at run Disney and the idea of running just one race isnt even considered. You might find it less intimidating to run your first half of it is the only race you're doing that weekend. Or - if your girlfriends are committed to the 10k- maybe just do TWO races? I think you have time to train for whatever option you choose.

I feel like sometimes the Challenge Mania takes over at run Disney and the idea of running just one race isnt even considered.

Agreed.

My cousin did the 5K last year at Princess and had a great time. I didn't want to fly x country for just one race, so I did the 5&10. She then wanted to do that. So that's what she did this year and I got silly and did all 3.

Thankfully next year we're "only" doing the Challenge.

if your girlfriends are committed to the 10k- maybe just do TWO races?

And only with the challenge mania can doing two races in a weekend be "only" or "just" LOL.

For budgetary reasons we don't hit the parks, so we don't have that issue. But a race weekend really does get challenging when you also want to go and have fun and ride Space and have snacks in Epcot, etc. 3 races PLUS the parks isn't easy!

I am a turtle and know it. I've done several local 5k's and 4 milers around here and at Disney. A few years back I got jealous of my friend's bling so I decided I was going to do a local quarter marathon. I finished it!! so I signed up for princess 10k, I saw balloon ladies but was able to complete course, the next year I took on 10k alone and finished before balloon ladies!!! this year I got brave and signed up for challenge, I finished 10k but not half but I had lots of folks cheering me on, I made it to castle ( my personal goal) and I made it to mile 8+ before being put on sweeper bus, yes I was upset, yes I cried but I'm dam proud of myself for getting out there and doing it and going further than I ever had. 2018 I'm going to crush that 13.1 and celebrate until Mice come home!!

Does anyone have the Haunted Mansion New Balance shoes AND either the Cinderella or Ariels, too? I have a size question.

I have ariels and haunted mansion
Yay!
What sizes are both of them? My Ariels are 9 and Cinderellas are 9.5. Not sure what size I should get for HM. I have someone going to the expo for me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Also consider what you want to achieve. You have a long enough time to train for all three-but make sure that's what you want. You could do the half without having to run the other two- that's an option. I feel like sometimes the Challenge Mania takes over at run Disney and the idea of running just one race isnt even considered. You might find it less intimidating to run your first half of it is the only race you're doing that weekend. Or - if your girlfriends are committed to the 10k- maybe just do TWO races? I think you have time to train for whatever option you choose.

It's hard, so you have to want it and you have to want to prepare for it. For me, it's 100% worth it, so I put in all the time and preparation. Disney or not, it's no joke, so you just have to be prepared.

Anyone know when the Galloway training calendar PDFs will update to reflect the 2018 Princess 1/2 marathon training dates instead of 2017?
If you get bored you can edit the text of the PDF to update it...I sadly did that to prep for dopey 2016

As for the theme guess...I'm throwing out my random theory. I'm guessing aurora simply for the fact the icon on active.com changed from the standard crown to a swirly P with a 3 prong tiara in the middle that reminds me of sleeping beauty. Again that is just a guess until they start sending out promotional stuff next month. I could also be persuaded to change theories if someone has a pic of the mile marker 13 banner...aside from last year the banner showed the theme of the next year...
2013 banner was Cinderella....2014 theme
2014 banner was frozen...2015 theme
2015 banner was Ariel...2016 theme
2016 banner was Snow White...and that wasn't the 2017 theme (though it was an anniversary year for the movie but the live action beauty and the beast was bigger to capitalize on)

Again, these are just my theories...i love thinking of all the possibilities. Though the new fairytale challenge might change it all up. I will be there for sure and I look forward hearing everyone's prep journeys and costume ideas!

Joining the thread! Many years ago, I loved running and my friend and I had been planning to do the Princess Half. Then, I got pregnant and life got in the way. On February 28 of this year, I started the Couch to 5K program and have officially caught the running bug again. My friend and I have decided to try for the Princess Half in 2018. I've never done a runDisney event before. In fact, I've never done any timed race at all (but I am signed up to do my first 5K on Saturday and a 10K this June). I'm definitely channeling my inner Jessi Spano "I'm so excited! I'm so excited. I'm so scared!" More excited than scared, though. Hopefully we are both able to get registered. Anyway, nothing to really contribute at this time, but going to keep an eye on the thread. And, any tips for registration for a newbie runner are definitely appreciated.
For registration: set up an Active account in advance. Be ready to register at 11:50am EST. Registration opens at noon May 2.

Hi Everyone! my friend and I are going to sign up to do the a Princess 5K. This will be our first race. I am sort of terrified of the whole registration process and the race. I am hoping that someone can ease my fears.
1. On the Active.com website, the Princess races will show up bc they are not visible now?
2. As long as we keep the 16 mile per min. pace we will not get swept up?
3. Anyone have any tips on sports bars for a small-medium frame but too much on top...if you know what I mean?
4. I have wide feet and always wear New Balance..any other shoes I should look into?
5. Anything else..I should be asking?
Thank you so much.

1. On the Active.com website, the Princess races will show up bc they are not visible now?
2. As long as we keep the 16 mile per min. pace we will not get swept up?
3. Anyone have any tips on sports bars for a small-medium frame but too much on top...if you know what I mean?
4. I have wide feet and always wear New Balance..any other shoes I should look into?

They will show up once they are open to register.

Correct. And unless you are starting very very very last, you actually get more than 16 minutes per mile b/c it's based on the last person starting.

Bras? I have a Champion that is decent. Many have recommended one or two Victoria's Secret sports bras; one of them has the normal style, then there's a front zipper to sort of cinch you in.

Find a local running store and head in. Start by finding out what shoes have wide width for women (though honestly I'm starting to think about going for a very small men's shoe in normal width just to expand my choices) and THEN have them look at your gait and suggest shoes. I say to start with the wides because you don't want to waste your time if that store doesn't have many wides in stock to try on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter