2018 Princess Half Marathon

Costumes - I wore a tutu once and if I hadn’t paid so much money for it I would have ripped it off and thrown it to the side of the course. That was the end of costumes for me. Last year I bought sparkle skirts and that was the extent of my dressing up.

Definitely not going with a tutu! I’d probably feel the same way. The SA skirts look thin enough to not be as distracting or awkward while running.

Be sure to get a gallon of bodyglide for the areas where the thigh highs hit and above, and where the garters will go down his legs. OK there's a sentence I never thought I'd think or write. But seriously. It's an awkward place to vaseline-up on the course, so bodyglide slathered will be a good idea.

Is he going to do a test run of this? Inquiring minds... ;)

He’s going to wear his compression shorts underneath.
No test run.

He did no run for Rapunzel in 2016 and was ok except for his new compression pants that were too big - this time he is going to use his normal ones

They've done this new way (fewer corrals, more per corral, multiple wave starts) for a while now - I've been through it for Dark Side 2016 and 2017, W&D 2017, and Dopey 2018. I've been in the second-to-last corral for each and it's worked fine. DS and WDW Half/Full worked the best, IMO: they did many waves for our corral of 6-7,000. W&D was less successful with only a couple waves for 6,000 people. Since that was the one-off and they went back to multiple, smaller waves for marathon weekend, hopefully they saw that fewer, bigger waves wasn't so great.

FWIW I refuse to take part in the Hunger Games at the front of a corral and have been starting from the middle to back of my corral at all of these races - no issues at all.

I get all the way over to the right about a third of the way back. There are plenty of people behind me as a cushion, but no shoving. I'm kind of worried about corral placement this year, as I'm slower now and it's the first time I haven't had a POT.

That's great to hear - thanks! Makes me feel much better. We have a local race where there aren't any corrals at all, and though I love the race itself, the "jockeying for position" before it starts is really annoying to me.

I've never done one with no corrals, but our local races are all self-corraled. Needless to say, TONS of people are dishonest about where they should be.

I don't have even an estimated percentage, but there are both costumed people and non costumed people. I don't think anyone should feel out of place either way.

I totally agree. You'll see people who are in totally plain running clothes, people who are Disneybounding, and full costume. A few years ago, I saw a girl dressed in a full Rapunzel costume. I mean full length dress, and she was carrying the FULL BRAID. For a half. I would be tossing that sucker on the side of the road halfway through.

My husband's customer for the half:

mVM0gyj.png

He's a brave soul. This sounds like a nightmare, and I'm a girl!

Definitely not going with a tutu! I’d probably feel the same way. The SA skirts look thin enough to not be as distracting or awkward while running.

I can't tell you how many tutus I've seen on the side of the road and in trashcans. SA skirts are very comfortable. I wear them to the expo and in the parks. The only reason I don't run in them is because my Flipbelt slides on it.

I had the most natural-feeling training run today. Treadmill still, but... This combo I'm doing of Zombies Run and the Hamilton soundtrack is getting odd. :) :) And I've changed from the person mouthing inappropriate Eminem songs to the person laughing and crying and mouthing My Shot on the treadmill. And still with a couple inappropriate mouthed words (I work out at the YMCA, after all)...

I really REALLY have to get new shoes, though, and soon. The Brooks HQ-with-store is up near Seattle and I want to see what they've got that might work for me.

One person was carrying a plate full of real pancakes last year!

Ha! Didn't see that.

But at Beat The Blerch near Seattle a couple years ago a couple women from Oregon were carrying boxes of Voodoo Doughnuts. Those puppies are heavy (as Orlando CityWalk goers can find out soon and Hollywood CityWalk visitors might already know), and I do not know how they carried those boxes for the whole race (I think they did the 10K but it's a partial trail-ish run).

I might buy one for the 5K and try it out at home, and then if I decide I like it I can purchase another for the 10K with some fun accessories

Nice idea. I personally have a funky time with the SA skirts...as an owner said to me, well, there are a few people out there where they do move...I'm one of them. MOST people don't have any issues. I tend to have to safety pin it where I want it to stay. Or I'm wearing them too small (aka have gained) and she was too polite to say it! :)

But other than MY own personal unique issue (my lot in life), they are terrific.

He’s going to wear his compression shorts underneath.

Oh thank goodness.

A few years ago, I saw a girl dressed in a full Rapunzel costume. I mean full length dress, and she was carrying the FULL BRAID. For a half. I would be tossing that sucker on the side of the road halfway through.

Wow.

Did you do W&D 2014 aka splash and dash (I can't remember)? Coming out of AK we saw a person running in a full PLUSH dinosaur costume. Plush. While we were jealous that he was warm, we didn't envy him as it got wetter and heavier.... As my brother says, some people just want to make it harder on themselves. :)

Off to figure out where the GF convention center is! :)

Just take the sidewalk to the right when you go out the main entrance.

Intresting that they'll have a bus back. The bus driver was NOT going to take us back to Contemporary since it was supposed to be monorail ONLY. She was going to have us get off at Poly, walk through to the boat, and go that way or something like that. There was one woman that was injured and had been wheeled TO THAT BUS by Disney staff, knowing she was going back to Bay Lake, and a bunch of women banded together to protect her from having to somehow do that. The bus driver finally said "you know, my blood pressure doesn't need this, I'll just stop there even though I might lose my job"... Eep.

I took the bus back last year and then was told when we got the Polynesian that the driver couldn't get to the Grand Floridian so we had to get off there and monorail or walk.

Wow.

Did you do W&D 2014 aka splash and dash (I can't remember)? Coming out of AK we saw a person running in a full PLUSH dinosaur costume. Plush. While we were jealous that he was warm, we didn't envy him as it got wetter and heavier.... As my brother says, some people just want to make it harder on themselves. :)

I didn't, but I heard about it! That sounds like a nightmare, either way.

I am sure this question has been answered - for some reason not finding it...
Can disney visa rewards card be used to buy merchandise at the Expo? Been a while since we have done a Rundisney race and I cannot remember...
Thanks!

I am sure this question has been answered - for some reason not finding it...
Can disney visa rewards card be used to buy merchandise at the Expo? Been a while since we have done a Rundisney race and I cannot remember...
Thanks!
Official runDisney merchandise only, yes. Cannot be used at other vendors. :)

Question y'all. I've always been there in time to get my packet from the expo, but there's a possibility I would get there the night before the 10K after the expo has closed. How reliable is the bib pickup on race morning? I know I'd need to go to the expo the next day to get my shirts and other things. I'm signed up for the challenge.

Thanks!

Question y'all. I've always been there in time to get my packet from the expo, but there's a possibility I would get there the night before the 10K after the expo has closed. How reliable is the bib pickup on race morning? I know I'd need to go to the expo the next day to get my shirts and other things. I'm signed up for the challenge.

Historically, bib pickup on race morning has been offered and the line has been relatively quick the closer to 330am one arrives. That said, race day pickup is intended to be for emergencies only (flight delays caused by weather, car broken down, etc.), and with the increasing number of people taking advantage of it for flight convenience, I would think they'll stop offering it at some point.

Historically, bib pickup on race morning has been offered and the line has been relatively quick the closer to 330am one arrives. That said, race day pickup is intended to be for emergencies only (flight delays caused by weather, car broken down, etc.), and with the increasing number of people taking advantage of it for flight convenience, I would think they'll stop offering it at some point.

That is honestly my worry, that I would bank on it and it not be available. Due to an event on the 23rd, I originally scheduled flights for the morning of the 24th and just planned to do the Half instead of the full challenge. Now I'm considering moving back the flights, but all the flights within price range will not get me there before the expo. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $200 difference to change flights and get there after the expo :sad1:

That is honestly my worry, that I would bank on it and it not be available. Due to an event on the 23rd, I originally scheduled flights for the morning of the 24th and just planned to do the Half instead of the full challenge. Now I'm considering moving back the flights, but all the flights within price range will not get me there before the expo. Now I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $200 difference to change flights and get there after the expo :sad1:

This kind of non-emergency situation is what could cause rD to stop offering emergency bib pickup in the morning.

This kind of non-emergency situation is what could cause rD to stop offering emergency bib pickup in the morning.

Yep, and I'm not a proponent of being one of the people to ruin it for everyone else. So is the extra $300 worth moving travel plans to get there the day before for the 10k (to get there for the expo)? It's a difficult one.

Im only at page 9 and realized they published this without finishing it again. Clicking on the maps for the expo = “coming soon”.

Thanks!

There’s what they have done and there’s what they will say for the future. And what they say is that they can’t giarantee that they’ll have pickup blah blah blah.

We changed DH’s flights out of nervousness for light side and then get to the corral area to find a nice long line of people and the staff had all bibs and safety pins and it would have been fine.

VERY frustrating.

Is anyone else unable to get the Disney Springs discounts in the virtual goody bag to appear? When I click to download it, I just get a picture. Am I missing something?

Im only at page 9 and realized they published this without finishing it again. Clicking on the maps for the expo = “coming soon”.

There’s what they have done and there’s what they will say for the future. And what they say is that they can’t giarantee that they’ll have pickup blah blah blah.

We changed DH’s flights out of nervousness for light side and then get to the corral area to find a nice long line of people and the staff had all bibs and safety pins and it would have been fine.

VERY frustrating.

I don't see the event guide link on the official website. I wonder if it was back doored before they were ready to release it to the public.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter