• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2018 Princess Half Marathon

What training plan do you have that had you doing 17 on Saturday???

I'm doing the "official" Galloway plan for Princess. He has two: one to finish in the upright position, and one to improve time. I'm doing the improve time. 17 miles tomorrow, and then 14 half-mile repeats next Saturday. So far so good. Fifteen miles 2 weeks ago was brutal, so I'm not super excited for tomorrow morning! But if it makes me feel good and happy on race day, it will be worth it.

My friend and I submitted the same POT, I got E and she got F. We've both done runDisney races before and my times have been better so I'm not sure if they took that into consideration or not. Have you guys done races at Disney together before?

What did each of you choose for an anticipated finish time when you registered for the event? If she selected a slower finish time that may be why she was bumped to F. If you go into your active account whatever you selected will be on your registration. POT isn't the only thing they look at when assigning a corral. They use that anticipated finish time too.

I'm doing the "official" Galloway plan for Princess. He has two: one to finish in the upright position, and one to improve time. I'm doing the improve time. 17 miles tomorrow, and then 14 half-mile repeats next Saturday. So far so good. Fifteen miles 2 weeks ago was brutal, so I'm not super excited for tomorrow morning! But if it makes me feel good and happy on race day, it will be worth it.

Wow. Apparently I’ve never looked at the “improve time” plans. That’s astonishing to me that he has you go so far beyond the mileage. People get tweaky about him taking you to 14 for a Half, let alone 17!

Just finished my longest long run before the challenge! 10.85 Miles in 2 hours. My 10th Mile was 30 seconds faster than my first! Felt great the whole time. That training pace puts me right on target for my anticipated race pace. Exciting! I have always just done 10 or so before a race and it’s always been fine. So excited to be officially tapering.

That is an insane amount of mileage for improving time. Does he explain why he has you doing that?

Wow. Apparently I’ve never looked at the “improve time” plans. That’s astonishing to me that he has you go so far beyond the mileage. People get tweaky about him taking you to 14 for a Half, let alone 17!

I know there's a theory in run training that by improving endurance it will improve speed at "shorter" distances. So being able to go 17 miles should make you faster for 13.1. Or something.

Saw my doctor this morning and she put me on antibiotics and mucinex d. Not sure if I should go for my 11 this weekend or postpone a few days... This training cycle has not worked out at all how I had hoped.

Saw my doctor this morning and she put me on antibiotics and mucinex d. Not sure if I should go for my 11 this weekend or postpone a few days... This training cycle has not worked out at all how I had hoped.

Did you ask your doc about running? The decongestant in the Mucinex D may cause your heart rate and blood pressure to go up. Some antibiotics tell you to stay out of the sun. You might call the pharmacist to see what they think.

Did you ask your doc about running? The decongestant in the Mucinex D may cause your heart rate and blood pressure to go up. Some antibiotics tell you to stay out of the sun. You might call the pharmacist to see what they think.

I mentioned being a runner and that it was slowing me down and my chest feels very irritated after running, but I didn't specifically ask if I should rest for a bit and she didn't say.

Same here. Hope you feel better soon.

If you can see my signature, you'll see I've done a LOT of WDW races, so I promise I speak from experience! I always start with my intervals - the only exception being in very cold weather I'll walk for a good 5 minutes before any running, just to get my muscles warmed up so I don't strain anything that's cold and tight. Throughout the race, not just at the start, there will be times when you'll need to run a little longer, or walk a little longer, just to go with the flow in tight quarters: don't worry about it - roll with it and pick your intervals back up when conditions permit. This never lasts longer than a few seconds to a minute.

Some general tips for everyone, runners, run-walkers, and walkers, alike:
1. Be aware of your surroundings! Just like with driving a car, no sudden moves - be sure to look for clearance before moving out of your current path and wait until you do have room to do so safely.
2. When approaching someone/s moving slower ahead of you, don't get so close you're nearly on their heels! Slow down if you need to, and pass when you have an opening. A friendly, "Excuse me - may I please come through?" can help if you're completely blocked by 5 people walking abreast. Be nice! :)
3. Raising your hand to signal a walk is great, but you need to do so before you start slowing down! People behind you assume you'll continue moving at your current speed, so the raised hand signals, "Yoo-hoo, I'm going to do something different in a sec, so please be aware!"
4. Try hard to leave at least a single-file lane open for anyone faster to pass. On the highways, there's lots of room to spread out, which makes it easy. But in narrow spots, avoid having multiple people side by side at the same speed. This may mean running a little longer until you can safely get behind another person walking, or walking a little longer until you can safely get into the running lane. The dynamics of a moving crowd are fluid and lanes will open and close randomly - this is why #1 is so important.
5. PLEASE do not cut across the entire width of the course because it's time for a walk interval (or for a photo, or for a restroom, or for any other reason)! So not safe. Again, look around, see where is the safest close place to slow down - sometimes, that's right where you are!

Great advice! I like #5 the best, as I have experienced the other side of that first hand.

No kidding! Remind me never to try and improve my time. lol

That IS a bummer about Retreat. I’ll be heading to the corrals pretty much as soon as I get there.

And...I did Retreat for my first January half and that tent was big breezy and cold. Not as cold as being outside, but I was hardly warm. I just want you to have better expectations

Thanks for your information. Oh well :duck: I’ll chalk this up to experience.

Thanks for your information. Oh well :duck: I’ll chalk this up to experience.

I’m signed up for the Race Retreat because I enjoyed it before the half in 2015. It was chilly outside, but nice and warm in the tent. You also have your own porta potties which is priceless! There are characters before and after the race (different than who is at the outside staging area), your own gear check area, food before and after the race, and massages. I remember getting on the first bus at the resort (they started at 3:00 in 2015) and being so happy I had a warm comfortable place to wait. I didn’t care about being at the front of the corral, so I waited until everyone in the retreat tent headed out.

I’m signed up for the Race Retreat because I enjoyed it before the half in 2015. It was chilly outside, but nice and warm in the tent. You also have your own porta potties which is priceless! There are characters before and after the race (different than who is at the outside staging area), your own gear check area, food before and after the race, and massages. I remember getting on the first bus at the resort (they started at 3:00 in 2015) and being so happy I had a warm comfortable place to wait. I didn’t care about being at the front of the corral, so I waited until everyone in the retreat tent headed out.

That’s what I love about these boards. - there are so many great experiences. Thanks for your input. It would be nice to be able to get pictures with the characters and oh those porta potties!! I’ll have to figure out how badly I want to get up front.

Corral D for me! I was correctly placed according to my estimated finish time and POT.

ETA: I selected an anticipated finish time of 2:16-2:30 and submitted a 2:29 POT.

This is almost exactly what I did (my POT was 2:27, so a small difference) and I'm also in Corral D. :)

Make sure the antibiotic is ok for running. One antibiotic can do bad thing to tendons.

I’m signed up for the Race Retreat because I enjoyed it before the half in 2015. It was chilly outside, but nice and warm in the tent. You also have your own porta potties which is priceless!

Must have gotten better from the year prior. :)

I’ll agree with the gear check. And the post-run coffee, chocolate muffins, and horrid eggs with hot sauce were very useful.

But the portopotties had NO lights over them, so using them in the morning was rather like having eyes closed.

And when I went out the door to the women’s portopotty area after the finish, there was a man there.

And if I got into a massage table after a Half I would never get up. And not out of enjoyment, but because I wouldn’t be able to. :)

My training plan to cut 9-10 minutes off my current HM PR in April has me maxing out at 13 miles. Not all pace improvement plans have you running 17 miles at once LOL!

Good to know! I have no desire to run 17 miles. Ever. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter