2018 Princess Half Marathon

Seeing a rumor on Facebook that Princess Half Marathon will not take place in 2019 due to road construction.

Again, it seems to be a rumor at this time. Anyone have any solid info?

Seeing a rumor on Facebook that Princess Half Marathon will not take place in 2019 due to road construction.

Well - they were selling packages for Marathon Weekend 2019.

They also have already announced the dates for the 2019 races for Princess and Dark Side.

I doubt that rumor.

They had 2018 dates for light side and tinker bell hell they had a past runner registration for the former before they canceled Disneyland

FWIW however With the size of WDW though I’d more then likely see princess be rerouted then going away all together

Trust me I know all about that! I was signed up for Light Side and got my refund.

But there is much more land that they own at WDW with lots of various course options.

The road construction is what is currently happening (and what we all just ran through!) and it should all be finished by 2019, to accommodate toy story and star wars opening. I don't know of any other major road work that would disrupt Princess

The road construction is what is currently happening (and what we all just ran through!) and it should all be finished by 2019, to accommodate toy story and star wars opening. I don't know of any other major road work that would disrupt Princess
It won't be completed by the time of Princess but yes it will be complete in 2019. I don't see why road construction which is ongoing would have an affect on Princess when they are already selling travel agent bibs for Marathon Weekend 2019 which uses the same courses as Princess.

That really sucks.

Never had that happen, but try emailing rundisney ASAP, and make sure the member of your party who lost their bib gets to race start super early tomorrow with their photo ID. Have them speak to the people at the rundisney booth and see if they can help them out with a replacement bib. Best case scenario, someone turned in the lost bib and/or they can give the member of your party a replacement. Let us know how this turns out!

Thanks! We ended up going to the runner relations tent the morning of the 5k and they reissued the bib no problem, since she was able to produce ID and the original bib number. So it caused us a lot of grief and missed sleep the night before (including a discovery that the lost and found system is a hellscape at Disney), but all worked out for the best and we had a great time!!!

So... I know Princess Half Marathon weekend takes a lot of flack on these boards, but honestly I thought the weekend was great. :confused3
So far, I've only done the Wine and Dine half marathon and the Disney Marathon, but Princess half marathon weekend would be the race I would most like to repeat.

Reasons why I loved it:
-The medals and shirts were gorgeous
-The weather was nice and warm so I could actually breathe at the start of the races
-The weather also makes touring the parks enjoyable too!
-They had the best character stops of the half marathon races
-It seemed like they had more photo stops total
-It seemed like participants put more thought and effort into their costumes than any of the other weekends
-Really inspirational to watch the multi-generational groups running together (and hilarious to watch the ones who sent the kids racing ahead to reserve space in the pictures lines while the adults were struggling behind)
-If you're a faster runner, the course is pretty clear at the beginning to get around people and after that it's easy to run the race you want to. No bottlenecks on the half course as bad as boardwalk and Hollywood Studios areas always end up being.
-As a woman, I really enjoyed experiencing a race that most of the participants are female
-You can overlap a race trip with either Festival of the Arts or Flower and Garden Festival
-Overall, it was an experience, not just a race

Reasons to skip:
-Personally, I would not want to do this race if I was a back of the pack runner or planning to walk the whole time. It would be too crowded despite the wide roadways and I'd be frustrated if I couldn't stop for a few photos.
-It seemed like more people stopped for photos during this race, so the photo lines were a lot longer than other races
-The race did attract a lot of less experienced runners, but then so do all the rundisney races. We've all been there, and if this race inspires people to train or keep training great!
-If you frequent the letsrun forums and are crazy obsessed with finish times, this may not be the race you're searching for

Anyway, thought I'd post in case someone was debating doing the race in future. A lot of the previous posts about the expo and race left me with the impression that things would be out of control like some spring break expose. Honestly, it's still a Disney run event, and if there was bad behavior it was an exception, not a rule. During the two races I met a wide variety of dedicated runners who happened to be crazy about Disney and were out there to have a good time.

Last edited:
Half marathon was fantastic! I set a PR even though I ended up running 13.3 according to my Garmin. I started in the first wave of corral D and only experienced a little bit of crowding on the hill to the contemporary and again on Main Street. It was humid, but no more than my usual early morning runs. I used my Nathan Hydration backpack so I wasn’t dependent on the course water stops. It was nice to be able to just blow right through them. During the long stretches of road on World Drive I listened to my Harry Potter audio book. The two “hills” in mile 10 and the “hill” in mile 11 didn’t seem nearly as bad this year! I did not stop for pictures other than a castle selfie. I decided to walk back to Beach Club by going through Epcot. It was a long roundabout walk, but it felt good to be moving my legs and give some support to the people still running.

I’m definitely in for the half next year, but on the fence about the challenge. I’m done with Disney 5K races. They just aren’t for me. I’ll probably be skipping race retreat next year too. I enjoyed it, but I’d rather get a few extra minutes of sleep and go straight to my corral.

I saw a total of three corral jumpers. It’s going to happen in every race along with the people who obviously had someone run a POT for them so they could have an A bib. I believe fate has a way of giving them payback so I just let it go.

Overall it was a great weekend and I had a lot of fun! I’m looking forward to the SWDS challenge in April. Disney does a pretty good job with their race weekends.

along with the people who obviously had someone run a POT for them so they could have an A bib.

1) I didn't know this was an option and 2) why would you want to do this?? I was in E and I was basically with the same group of people the entire time aka we were all at the same pace aka we had all been corralled properly. If I was in A I probably would have been stampeded over, which doesn't sound fun?

My race was good but recovery has been difficult. I got overheated and dehydrated Sunday morning and didn't really fully recover from that until yesterday evening (I hope). Between that and some GI issues I'm kind of wishing I'd planned a resort day during this trip! Off to AK as soon as the BF wakes up...

1) I didn't know this was an option and 2) why would you want to do this?? I was in E and I was basically with the same group of people the entire time aka we were all at the same pace aka we had all been corralled properly. If I was in A I probably would have been stampeded over, which doesn't sound fun?

My race was good but recovery has been difficult. I got overheated and dehydrated Sunday morning and didn't really fully recover from that until yesterday evening (I hope). Between that and some GI issues I'm kind of wishing I'd planned a resort day during this trip! Off to AK as soon as the BF wakes up...

So they have a huge buffer from being swept. I don’t know how to say this without sounding like a jerk. I don’t care what body shape you have or how much you weigh. Just getting out and being active is a good thing and something to be proud of. However, when someone is very obese, walking, huffing and puffing and wearing an A bib and I’m passing them in the first mile there’s got to be some cheating going on.

Recovery......I checked out of my resort and drove home (45 minutes!) after the half. I was so tired! I hardly ever nap, but I crashed hard and slept for two hours. Had pizza and a beer for dinner and was asleep by 8pm. Yesterday I took a walk and my quad was sore and I was still a little tired. Feeling good today, but I haven’t gone for my run yet.

So they have a huge buffer from being swept. I don’t know how to say this without sounding like a jerk. I don’t care what body shape you have or how much you weigh. Just getting out and being active is a good thing and something to be proud of. However, when someone is very obese, walking, huffing and puffing and wearing an A bib and I’m passing them in the first mile there’s got to be some cheating going on.

Recovery......I checked out of my resort and drove home (45 minutes!) after the half. I was so tired! I hardly ever nap, but I crashed hard and slept for two hours. Had pizza and a beer for dinner and was asleep by 8pm. Yesterday I took a walk and my quad was sore and I was still a little tired. Feeling good today, but I haven’t gone for my run yet.
I watched a video of a guy who studies race results after races to pick out cheaters. I feel like if it's big enough of a problem and Disney wants to do something about it, they could definitely hire someone like this. People who start in the wrong corrals would probably be the easiest to pick out. I'm just not sure how big of an issue cheating at Disney races is.

Disney, please get new people in charge of Merchandise... the designs and quality sucks. Thanks in advance.

I agree with you somewhat, especially on quality. The challenge jacket/hoodie thing was so boring. It also bugged the heck out of me that the official shirt for the challenge was purple because A) The 5k shirt was also purple so those of us that did all 3 races had 2 purple shirts, and B) It was Cinderella themed so I expected a light blue. :confused3 Really loved the 10k and Half shirts though

I definitely noticed quite a few people who lied about expected pace for the 10k. @Bree put it pretty well.

It was better for the half marathon, but people were going slower in A and B corrals than I would have expected. I just assumed a lot of the people used whatever their best 10k POT was, instead of a half which would have more accurately corralled them.

It's not an option. It's called cheating. It'd be like me having one of my friends run for me in a local marathon to get me a qualifying time for Boston. People do this for Boston because they're not fast enough to qualify on their own, and want to brag about running Boston while hoping their friends don't ask too many questions. People do this for Disney because they're not fast enough to start in their proper corral and cross the finish line before getting swept.

I definitely noticed quite a few people who lied about expected pace for the 10k. @Bree put it pretty well.

It was better for the half marathon, but people were going slower in A and B corrals than I would have expected. I just assumed a lot of the people used whatever their best 10k POT was, instead of a half which would have more accurately corralled them.
Even the best 10K time for a number of people I have seen could not get them into corrals A and B, as the calculation to to convert to a Half Time adds time over the 10 K Split. I have a POT of 59:00 for a 10K and still was in D for the half (my PR half is 2:17:31) so I highly doubt some of the folks I saw in starting ahead of me had a recent 10k time that put them inside of 2:15 for the half, but it is what it is. I try to tell myself not to judge and just run my race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter