• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2019 Epcot International Food and Wine Festival: August 29-November 23, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help. We are attending in October and are so excited.
For Mouse Gear, specifically at the breezeway (to Mission Space) door. The line was outside. That was changed mid-F&G last year. Previously, it was scattered around MG so not very organized. It was that way yesterday.

That is certainly interesting. So no free Ghirardelli chocolate and they don't have the elaborate confection sculptures.

Any idea where the culinary demos and beverage seminars are taking place (World ShowPlace)? Also, where do you pick up your tickets for the demos and seminars?
Ghirardelli was in the Land pavilion and you get a piece of chocolate as always :)
Yesterday was a fun day at F&W – as it always is. It was not terribly crowded at all (except in Port of Entry trying to buy passholder merch – more on that in a bit) but it was brutally hot so I didn’t try a lot. Rather than go chronologically through my day I think I’ll just hit some highlights here.

World ShowPlace – as mentioned there is no festival center. World ShowPlace is strictly for the daily events. No food, no merchandise. There was a sandwich board outside detailing the day’s events. I got a peek inside and immediately inside the automatic doors there was an area with the usual dark purpley lighting, draped to define the space, small cocktail tables with white tablecloths. I’m not sure if that was just the waiting area or if that’s where the actual demo was. If that’s the demo area, it’s certainly a switch from the classroom style seating of years past. The Shimmering Sips mimosa bar that was shown to be located here on an early map is over by the walkway from Future World.

The walkway from Imagination has been finished and widened. What are presumed to be new restrooms by Refreshment Port are not finished and that is blocked off but all booths in the area are operational.

Former Festival Center “stuff”:

Merchandise
is spread in kiosks around the lagoon. MouseGear and Port of Entry have the passholder merchandise. Cast members do have a binder detailing all the festival merchandise and where they are sold. I was looking for the Spaceship Earth cutting board and was told it was in MouseGear, Port of Entry or a kiosk near Japan. The cutting board is as cute as it is in pictures. For those who were wondering, the shapes on the rolling pin are “indented” so would leave interesting marks on your dough – might be more decorative. Port of Entry has only the two registers in opposite corners and each register had a line snaking around the store – so much so that it was hard to browse and in fact they were only allowing entry into the store through the back door. It might have been a first day thing or maybe they’ll iron out some better line logistics.

Port of Entry had, behind the counter, those wine station machines that used to be in the Festival Center

Vendors like Cutco cutlery are around the lagoon. Cutco is by Morocco. I overheard the rep telling someone that they had all be dispersed around the festival.
View attachment 431049

Ghiardelli is in the Land pavilion

I didn’t fully explore but I didn’t see a book store or a wine store.

Remy scavenger hunt – I didn’t do this but those who have done it in the past remember that the Remy figures are typically around the walkway and not hidden back in the pavilions as they are for events like the Easter egg hunt. Well, without offering any spoilers, I saw one Remy figure in a shop so I think they have made it a tad more challenging this year.

Emile’s Fromage Montage – for this you need to get an actual stamp at the register when you order. Stamps go on the last page of the passport. I forgot to get one and had no trouble going back and they gave me one. For all other booths, the “stamps” are stickers in the passport and you mark them off yourself.

Favorite item of the day: NY Strip Steak Green Shermoula Flatbread with Radish and Tomato Salsa (Morocco). So, so good. Flatbread a little deceiving in the sense that it’s not like a flat bread pizza. The bread is crisp – more like a tostada. There’s a fair amount of spice (but keep in mind I’m a mild salsa person). It was really so excellent. I will be having several of these, for sure.

View attachment 431050

In France, they’ve changed the braised beef dish a bit and instead of traditional mashed potatoes it’s served with “puffed potatoes” i.e. breaded and fried balls of mashed potatoes. Solid dish but didn’t wow me.

View attachment 431052

Lobster roll – I haven’t had this in a few years and this seemed improved from my last memory of it. I tried the coffee ale and I should have known based on the title but very strong coffee taste I didn’t care for.

View attachment 431053

Blended Burger (Flavors from Fire) – this was a favorite last year and didn’t disappoint this year. It’s basic but the cheese sauce and crunch from the potato chip are so good. I thought that the grills were more “center stage” this year both at this kiosk as well as the Caribbean booth where they’re doing jerk chicken. I know they had the grills before but it seemed more of an “on stage” presentation to me - and more seating as well. I certainly feel for those chefs working over hot grills in that heat.

View attachment 431054

View attachment 431055

Artist Palette of wine and cheese – I always enjoy this option. Very good.

View attachment 431056

Biggest disappointment: Warm Raclette Swiss Cheese with Baby Potatoes, Cornichons and Baguette (Alps – by Norway). I so wanted to love this and had high expectations as potatoes, cheese and bread are pretty much my favorite food groups, LOL. I don’t know… it wasn’t bad but the bread isn’t toasted and the serving I received had been sitting under the heat lamp for a while and the cheese had congealed a bit. I may give it another try.
View attachment 431042
We were disappointed in the raclette also. We had this in Switzerland as well and the problem with this dish is the cheese hardened so it wasn't a melty cheese at all. It wasn't BAD, it just wasn't as good as I had hoped.
Oh no - why the low rating for the warm raclette Swiss cheese? Was the cheese not “melty” enough or you just didn’t like the combination of food items in the dish?
I sort of felt the bread was out of place. True raclette is a mixture of potato and cheeses with other things added in (for instance, we had bacon and a fried egg on top of the one we had in Switzerland). The cheese usually stays melted.

We went tonight and got really full lol (much better than being at home waiting for the hurricane). Here’s what we ate and what we thought:

Vanilla Gelato Sundae-3/4

Where's the vanilla gelato sundae?

Deconstructed Pavlova (Australia) - 8.0/10 - First time we got it it was room temperature, and scored a 7.0. We asked for one straight from the fridge the second time, and it was quite a bit better, earning it's current 8.0.

deconstructed_pavlova_2.jpg

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the second one a little more but as an Aussie- I just HAVE to say this. We don’t serve pavlova from the fridge. It makes the meringue go soggy.
Now granted, in the depths of summer (which is what Orlando is in) we actually wouldn’t put it together until a couple of minutes before serving, so that it’s fresh.

I think this is why they’ve gone the deconstructed route- because pavlova is just not practical for this kind of event. But now you’ve shown me a picture - it doesn’t even look remotely like a Pav!

Since there is no festival center, what is the status of book signings and picking up tickets for events?

In prior years, for someone like Robert Irvine, we’d get to Epcot at opening to get a wristband for the book signing, pick up our tickets, then get in line so we could get good seats.

1) Are there book signings? If so, when can you line up for a wrist band?

2) When can you get in line to pick up your event tickets?

thanks!!!

I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed the second one a little more but as an Aussie- I just HAVE to say this. We don’t serve pavlova from the fridge. It makes the meringue go soggy.
Now granted, in the depths of summer (which is what Orlando is in) we actually wouldn’t put it together until a couple of minutes before serving, so that it’s fresh.

I think this is why they’ve gone the deconstructed route- because pavlova is just not practical for this kind of event. But now you’ve shown me a picture - it doesn’t even look remotely like a Pav!
The meringue wasn't soggy at all. I don't know how to describe the texture, it was kind of crispy in a way. The texture was the same between the one that had been sitting out, and the one straight from the fridge. The main reason I prefer it cold is that the pastry cream and fruit taste much better cold (YMMV!).

The pavlova they served in the Australia booth in 2013 is my all-time favorite F&W dessert. I was so upset when they got rid of it. This deconstructed version isn't quite as good as that, but I'll take whatever pavlova I can get!

I love to make pavlova. It's always a hit and very yummy!

Do the prices seem lower than last year to anyone? Or maybe they just had more higher priced items last year. Or maybe I just wanted the higher priced ones last year....

Since there is no festival center, what is the status of book signings and picking up tickets for events?

In prior years, for someone like Robert Irvine, we’d get to Epcot at opening to get a wristband for the book signing, pick up our tickets, then get in line so we could get good seats.

thanks!!!

I admittedly am behind on all things F&W this year. I missed this thread, but am trying to catch up. Is there a place they are sampling wines from the vineyards doing the tastings? One of our favorites is presenting on 11/3 and we'd love to go, but are only using our W&D after party tickets (which don't get us in till 5) so we are hoping we can sample a glass somewhere? We visited Meeker on our honeymoon and were members for a while until we moved to a state that makes it difficult to ship wine. Hoping to reminisce with a glass of one of our favorites!

Since there is no festival center this year, are there full bottles of the festival wines available for purchase this year in any one particular spot? Or, are we out of luck this year? I was really hoping to bring home a bottle of that sparking blueberry and key lime again this year.

Do you know if they typically run out of the magnet and coaster set (the gift if you go 4 times)

I think they may have run out of a magnet last year but believe they had the cutting board through the whole festival.

thanks!!!

Good question! Not sure. I’m attending an event weekend after next and will find out and report back (if we don’t know by then).

I admittedly am behind on all things F&W this year. I missed this thread, but am trying to catch up. Is there a place they are sampling wines from the vineyards doing the tastings? One of our favorites is presenting on 11/3 and we'd love to go, but are only using our W&D after party tickets (which don't get us in till 5) so we are hoping we can sample a glass somewhere? We visited Meeker on our honeymoon and were members for a while until we moved to a state that makes it difficult to ship wine. Hoping to reminisce with a glass of one of our favorites!

I’m not sure how they select the wines featured but at Port of Entry (one of the 2 stores at the base of Future World) they had those wine preservation machines that used to be in the Festival Center behind the back counter.

Since there is no festival center this year, are there full bottles of the festival wines available for purchase this year in any one particular spot? Or, are we out of luck this year? I was really hoping to bring home a bottle of that sparking blueberry and key lime again this year.

I didn’t see anywhere in my brief spin around World Showcase on opening day but I could have missed it. Doesn’t seem like Disney to miss a sales opportunity!

Taking a shot-has anyone tried the hazelnut creme brûlée at the France booth? If so, or if someone there is willing to try it, could you please, pretty please, give me your review on how it is? I'm headed to the F&W in a few weeks and that creme brûlée is the one thing I'm most interested in trying.

.......We were disappointed in the raclette also. We had this in Switzerland as well and the problem with this dish is the cheese hardened so it wasn't a melty cheese at all. It wasn't BAD, it just wasn't as good as I had hoped.

I sort of felt the bread was out of place. True raclette is a mixture of potato and cheeses with other things added in (for instance, we had bacon and a fried egg on top of the one we had in Switzerland). The cheese usually stays melted.
The Raclette was awful! The taste was ok, but the consistency was truly terrible. I had been so excited for this one and it was a major disappointment. Imagine pizza that has gone cold and the texture of the cheese that had been previously melted, but now a congealed blob....that's what it reminded me of. They don't make it fresh, it sits under the heat lamp.

Do the prices seem lower than last year to anyone? Or maybe they just had more higher priced items last year. Or maybe I just wanted the higher priced ones last year....
Initially I thought they seemed cheaper also, but going back through the app from what we had last year the prices actually went up on some items.
Canada Filet
2018: $8
2019: $8.25

France Creme Brulee
2018: $4.25 (raspberry)
2019: $4.25 (hazlenut) I preferred the Hazlenut one this year.

Hops and Barley lobster roll
2018: $8
2019: $8.25 ** overcooked lobster...chopped really fine, not nice big chunks like it should be
Beer flight
2018: $9.50
2019: $9.75

Germany brat
2018: $5.50
2019: $5.75

Island of Caribbean Jerk chicken
2018: $5.50 (lollipop)
2019: $5.50 (sliced chicken....MUCH preferred this presentation and it was one of my favs!)

I have to go through all the things we tasted, but this is a quick breakdown of what I noticed this year. Note: I'm gluten free so I don't eat everything, but I will taste everything, just a nibble! DH is the gluten eater and orders the gluten foods.

Taking a shot-has anyone tried the hazelnut creme brûlée at the France booth? If so, or if someone there is willing to try it, could you please, pretty please, give me your review on how it is? I'm headed to the F&W in a few weeks and that creme brûlée is the one thing I'm most interested in trying.
I preferred this version over last year's raspberry. The raspberry was too sweet. It is a little more "liquidy" under the creme part, which is where the hazlenut portion is. The portion is small, but had a nice sugar crust. I almost feel like it was a smaller portion than last year's.

Question for you festival pro's. Do you pick up tickets to the culinary demo's somewhere, or do they just pull it off your MB? Shows up like a FP. If you do need a hard ticket, can you pick it up at anytime?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter