2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Sometimes it does take a couple of days for photos to show up, while others show up almost immediately.
Our castle pictures were one of the last race photo's to show up for us.

This weekend was tons of fun! My wife has been doing various runD runs for a few years now but it was my first time doing one with her. We did the Challenge and had a blast.

I'm a sucker for fireworks and the ones they were shooting off in the MK parking lot area definitely kept me entertained through that long World Drive / MK Parking Lot stretch for the Half. If I understand correctly that was new this year? Not sure if I would have liked it as a Poly or GF guest trying to get some sleep, but as a runner, I thought it was great!
This was only my second princess, but I have done most of the other races multiple times. That's the first time I've seen that.

@IamTrike those outfits are all amazing. Did your son get tired holding the candles?
My son didn't get tired of holding the candles. They were pretty light. (they were actually flashlights, if I had I put the D batteries in them so they lit up he wouldn't have been happy though.)

I reread the info about the photo linking this morning. For the kids races, you have to put the zero in BEFORE the bib number. I had put mine in at the end and that’s why mine didn’t show up until now. Hope no one else made the same mistake. I have all the photos now. ;) Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

Congrats to everyone. This was my first half, I've only run the 10k for the past 5 years. Overall, I thought it was a good race but I got really bored once we left the MK to EP. I actually think I got in a bit of a trance because I don't really remember mile 7-12. I thought that section could have used a bit more entertainment and /or characters.

I was in the front of F but does anyone know why so many runners were coming in super late? There were people jumping over the barrier at the last minute to get in and pushing past the volunteers. Maybe that's normal but I've never seen that in a 10k.

Also did anyone else find it ironic that Miss America didn't know or forgot the words to the national anthem? Kudos to her for belting it out beautifully that early in the morning but everyone around me kind of gave a quizzical look, like wait...what did she just sing?

Nope! How do I do that? I spoke to a girl on the bus yesterday and she told me we would receive an email with them. Obviously, I’m clueless! Lol

Not as clueless as that person was. No idea where they got that information.

Congrats to everyone. This was my first half, I've only run the 10k for the past 5 years. Overall, I thought it was a good race but I got really bored once we left the MK to EP. I actually think I got in a bit of a trance because I don't really remember mile 7-12. I thought that section could have used a bit more entertainment and /or characters.

I was in the front of F but does anyone know why so many runners were coming in super late? There were people jumping over the barrier at the last minute to get in and pushing past the volunteers. Maybe that's normal but I've never seen that in a 10k.

Also did anyone else find it ironic that Miss America didn't know or forgot the words to the national anthem? Kudos to her for belting it out beautifully that early in the morning but everyone around me kind of gave a quizzical look, like wait...what did she just sing?
This was my first half too, and I agree with you on the course from MK to Epcot. I expected more entertainment and/or PhotoPass photographers during that stretch.

I read that there was an accident and a lot of people were stuck in traffic before the half. I stayed on property and was on the first bus from the resort, and there were no issues for us. I’m not sure where this accident was or how many people were affected by it.

I felt bad for Miss America! She recovered well but it was definitely an awkward moment!

Sitting at the airport waiting to go home. Excited to see my kids and hubby, but sad to leave the Disney bubble.

Our 10K was going swimmingly. We had slowed our pace for the heat and lack of training, but my friend tripped over something right before mile 6 and that out a damper on things. We finished but her wrist/hand was super sore so it changed our objectives for the half.

The half we ran with another friend, who mostly joined us to help me keep the BFF safe. We did a great job keeping to our intervals, mostly due to BFF. The goal was get her across the finish line, but I think she motivated us. Unlike normal we stopped for no photos, including the coveted castle shot. Very unlike us, but also a different mindset for the half than normal. I did leave my water bottle in the bathroom during our one stop! Lol! At least it was halfway through the race so I survived! We all finished hand in hand and I think my favorite photo ever is this one:
F3014E8F-B190-4A75-97E4-E45A20376D65.jpeg
Even if runDisney peeps yelled at us to keep moving! Lol!

All in all, despite the best friends fall, we both agree we had a great weekend! Looking forward to Wine & Dine!

I was also really surprised there wasn’t more entertainment along the course. When I ran the first Star Wars half at DL, there was so much going on along the race course. My sister remembers way more entertainment/meet and greets along the course when she ran the full marathon, but that was 10 years ago.

I couldn't believe my ears. We were just standing around looking at each other like "What in the world?" I teach American history for a living, so I might have been just a tad dismayed. Miss America does not know the words to the anthem of the country she represents??? What? It was probably my biggest disappointment of the day! :crazy2: No feeling sorry for her here. If she was asked to sing it, she should have had the words in front of her if she thought she was going to mess it up!

This was my first Disney race, but I too thought those last few miles were really boring. I needed some extra motivation at that point. At least some DJ music or something along the way.

Yes to Miss America! It wasn’t a small flub either. Everyone around us was like... what? One princess says, “oh she’s singing a remix” which made everyone laugh!

My one character stop.... evil hag.... is the only notable picture that hasn’t shown yet. I’m so glad I git one with my phone too. I didn’t do that at all during the 10k, but I had the thought Ive waited too long for this to not come through! So g,as I did. I’m super happy with the rest of our race pics!

Yes to Miss America! It wasn’t a small flub either. Everyone around us was like... what? One princess says, “oh she’s singing a remix” which made everyone laugh!

My one character stop.... evil hag.... is the only notable picture that hasn’t shown yet. I’m so glad I git one with my phone too. I didn’t do that at all during the 10k, but I had the thought Ive waited too long for this to not come through! So g,as I did. I’m super happy with the rest of our race pics!

I'm missing my hag picture as well. Maybe that stop had issues?

Sitting at the airport waiting to go home. Excited to see my kids and hubby, but sad to leave the Disney bubble.

Our 10K was going swimmingly. We had slowed our pace for the heat and lack of training, but my friend tripped over something right before mile 6 and that out a damper on things. We finished but her wrist/hand was super sore so it changed our objectives for the half.

The half we ran with another friend, who mostly joined us to help me keep the BFF safe. We did a great job keeping to our intervals, mostly due to BFF. The goal was get her across the finish line, but I think she motivated us. Unlike normal we stopped for no photos, including the coveted castle shot. Very unlike us, but also a different mindset for the half than normal. I did leave my water bottle in the bathroom during our one stop! Lol! At least it was halfway through the race so I survived! We all finished hand in hand and I think my favorite photo ever is this one:
View attachment 385077
Even if runDisney peeps yelled at us to keep moving! Lol!

All in all, despite the best friends fall, we both agree we had a great weekend! Looking forward to Wine & Dine!

That’s terrible! I’m so sorry she got hurt. How is she now?

So I completed my first ever 5k on Friday. I had no idea what to expect really. I was in the C Corral because I run slowly (15 minutes mile). However, I was thinking that I would have been better off in A Or B, because it seemed that the majority of the people in C were walking. I found it frustrating to constantly have to modify my pace to either get around or pretty much jog in place behind the groups of walkers. By the time we got out of World Showcase, it was impossible to run because the crowd bottle necked, and it felt like no one was moving.
I was also bummed that the lines for the characters were so long. I’m thinking that if you weren’t in A or B, you’d have no shot of taking pics and also finishing the race on time, but Idk.

If I were to do another runDisney race in the future, what would you suggest? Should I place myself in the higher corrals?

I’m missing my castle photo from the half! Of course that’s the missing one because it’s the one I’ve been most anxious to see!

If I were to do another runDisney race in the future, what would you suggest? Should I place myself in the higher corrals?
When the event guide came out I was surprised to see that there were only 3 corrals for the 5K. There are so many variables to corral placement and day of race pacing decisions that make it difficult to know what’s best! I would personally set my pacing estimate based on what I feel I could realistically accomplish through training.

I heard there was a big accident.

However, I was thinking that I would have been better off in A Or B, because it seemed that the majority of the people in C were walking.

Plenty of people can walk or walk/run faster than 15mm. Including me most of the time.

Groups of people are frustrating, no matter how they are moving themselves along the course. And this 5k was awful with groups of people.

I’m missing my castle photo from the half! Of course that’s the missing one because it’s the one I’ve been most anxious to see!

For us, the castle pic was the last to show up - finally did late yesterday. That was our 'one' shot we cared about to do together and were starting to get worried about it.

I was also really surprised there wasn’t more entertainment along the course. When I ran the first Star Wars half at DL, there was so much going on along the race course. My sister remembers way more entertainment/meet and greets along the course when she ran the full marathon, but that was 10 years ago.
I think in the past there has usually been at least one additional stop in the median on world drive.

So I completed my first ever 5k on Friday. I had no idea what to expect really. I was in the C Corral because I run slowly (15 minutes mile). However, I was thinking that I would have been better off in A Or B, because it seemed that the majority of the people in C were walking. I found it frustrating to constantly have to modify my pace to either get around or pretty much jog in place behind the groups of walkers. By the time we got out of World Showcase, it was impossible to run because the crowd bottle necked, and it felt like no one was moving.
I was also bummed that the lines for the characters were so long. I’m thinking that if you weren’t in A or B, you’d have no shot of taking pics and also finishing the race on time, but Idk.

I wouldn't want to be in a corral that was at wildly different pace than what I was running. We were in A for the 10k, and our moving pace for most of the race was around 10 mm. Sometimes a little above sometimes a little below. We found that even with this picture lines were still 5 minutes long or longer and they got longer as the race went along. I think that even starting in A at a 15MM pace the picture lines would make it difficult to stop for more than 2 or 3 pictures.

Honestly, the 5K is an untimed fun run. I get the frustration, because I wanted to run my normal pace too, but you just have to try and go with the flow on that one. Have no expectations and you’ll hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

It was feeling better when we left, but she said it is still tender and hurts if she uses it too much. I think every day it heals a little more though.

That’s good. It could have been so much worse!

I think that even starting in A at a 15MM pace the picture lines would make it difficult to stop for more than 2 or 3 pictures.

Just to prove this point: I was in corral A for the 5K during marathon weekend. I was placed there legitimately (although only because of the 3 corrals - had there been 6 like in previous years, I probably would have been in B), but wound up running slower than originally planned for various reasons. I started in the third mini-wave of corral A (probably not where I belonged, but I tried to stay off to the side and out of everyone's way) and ran at about a 12 min/mi and stopped for every single character ... and the race took me 1.5 hours. The lines got that long. I'm lucky I got to run the full course, because I know they cut it short at the end and I was probably pretty close to that point (and while historically they haven't swept the 5K, if they had been sweeping, I probably would have gotten swept). So even starting earlier doesn't guarantee that you'll finish in a decent time. It's just the way these races are sometimes, unfortunately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter