2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

My daughters and I are running the half in some skirts that are beauty and the beast print. I bought a yellow shirt to wear with mine. DH looks at me like I'm a crazy person when I mention he should at least wear a shirt that says BEAST on it. This is a first Disney race for all of us. I was paranoid about wearing "too" much costume stuff. I'm honestly annoyed with so much of my clothing when I run, I didn't want anything costume wise that would bother me. I'm sure we'll be minimalist compared to most people, but I'm okay with that. I know I'll enjoy looking at everyone else.

I’ve done barely any running due to a hip injury. I’ve been plodding along on a stationary bike at the gym, lifting weights, going to yoga and doing my daily hip PT stretches and exercises. I’m fighting with the insurance company daily to get an MRI with contrast approved. It’s so stupid. I lost it with the case manager today and asked if she’d like me to submit video surveillance of me at the gym with my personal trainer dating back to October and copies of all the finish times from every race last year :oops: That was after she said I needed to get with my doctor and establish an exercise routine. Anyway, I’ll be the one dressed as Aurora in the blue dress stinking so bad from Tiger Balm that your eyes will be watering.

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry!! I've had ITB problems before as I said (fingers crossed- it could blow at any time!) And a slipped disc/ sciatic pain all the way down to my toes!!

Not that it will cure it, but have you tried a lidocaine patch? You can get them OTC now- they helped my back a lot!!

Good luck!!

My daughters and I are running the half in some skirts that are beauty and the beast print. I bought a yellow shirt to wear with mine. DH looks at me like I'm a crazy person when I mention he should at least wear a shirt that says BEAST on it. This is a first Disney race for all of us. I was paranoid about wearing "too" much costume stuff. I'm honestly annoyed with so much of my clothing when I run, I didn't want anything costume wise that would bother me. I'm sure we'll be minimalist compared to most people, but I'm okay with that. I know I'll enjoy looking at everyone else.

Mine is pretty minimal too... It's a printed tech shirt that looks like Belle's dress with a rose on the back. And a yellow/ gold sparkle skirt, plus yellow "sweaty band" with roses printed on it. Think I'm wearing a tiara too with a big ol' bun even though Belle doesn't wear a tiara... Cause WHY NOT!?!?

Everyone's outfits sound amazing!!! I can't wait!! My BFF is going as Jessie from Toy Story! (Not a princess, we know...)

Any one doing all 3? I have no idea what I was thinking signing up for the whole weekend. :earseek:

I did it in 2017 & 2018. I skipped it this year since I had already signed up for Dopey.

Oh no!!! I'm so sorry!! I've had ITB problems before as I said (fingers crossed- it could blow at any time!) And a slipped disc/ sciatic pain all the way down to my toes!!

Not that it will cure it, but have you tried a lidocaine patch? You can get them OTC now- they helped my back a lot!!

Good luck!!

Yes! I used the extra large icy hot ones to get me through Dopey. I put that on then I slathered Tiger Balm all around it. Tiger balm is so gross, but it lasts the longest. Biofreeze wears off too fast.

I’ve done barely any running due to a hip injury. I’ve been plodding along on a stationary bike at the gym, lifting weights, going to yoga and doing my daily hip PT stretches and exercises. I’m fighting with the insurance company daily to get an MRI with contrast approved. It’s so stupid. I lost it with the case manager today and asked if she’d like me to submit video surveillance of me at the gym with my personal trainer dating back to October and copies of all the finish times from every race last year :oops: That was after she said I needed to get with my doctor and establish an exercise routine. Anyway, I’ll be the one dressed as Aurora in the blue dress stinking so bad from Tiger Balm that your eyes will be watering.

I'm so sorry. I have a persistent hip injury that started at Princess 2015, and is just now getting better. Please be careful and listen to your body. I see you've got some race experience, so I'm sure you already know that, but I have to say it!

Any one doing all 3? I have no idea what I was thinking signing up for the whole weekend. :earseek:

I'm not doing all 3 this year, but I've done them 3 times in the past. If you're trained, don't worry about it. Just take it easy in between races and you'll be fine.

I can relate to the challenges of getting the runs in when the weather is lousy.

I would stick with the plan and do 5, to keep yourself fresh for the half and avoid any last minute injuries from pushing it in the last week. Based upon posts here, most people seem to have peaked around 12 mi pre-half. I did ~ 12 mi a week and a half ago, 10 mi this past week and will do around 8 mi for my long run this week. Having followed your plan since the fall, you will be ready!

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!

My long run yesterday felt almost effortless, despite the bitter cold and icy sidewalks. One more long run and it's race time!! Not that I actually plan on racing it, I still want to enjoy it if I can.

My costume for the 10K and half will be Vanellope von Schweetz, only I opted not to paint the shirt or calf sleeves, so it's more of a Disney-bounding look. I may still add some embellishments yet; I have 6 more days to do so. For the 5K, my husband is dressing up as Snow White and I'm going as his prince... should be fun. He loves Snow White! His costume is really good (I made it), but again mine is more generic in a Disney-bounding style. I'm just lazy with my own costumes, I guess.

Ok A) I so wanted to do Vanelope but I had a hard time finding teal tights that I liked then I thought I would get hot in a hooded shirt so I scraped the idea and went with my personal favorite snow white.

B) I can't imagine running in the bitter cold on icy sidewalks! Now I feel like a big wimp for not completing my run because of 65 degree rain and wind....yes, I live here in FL. So kudos to you for toughing that out!!

So my main question is, I've been doing Galloway since W&D (10k) should I just stick with the plan and do 5 next weekend? Something inside of me says try longer like 8 but this is my first half and I want to make sure I have fresh legs for the race.

Stick to the training plan. Start the taper. You don’t want to hurt yourself.

With Galloway the big part is the regular short runs to condition you. The long runs just get your feet and mind used to the concept. You should be fine.

That was after she said I needed to get with my doctor and establish an exercise routine.

Maddening.

I’ll be the one dressed as Aurora in the blue dress stinking so bad from Tiger Balm that your eyes will be watering.

Ha!

Apparently my “deep relief” essential oil blend smells just like Ben Gay. I might have that all over my lower back. Though I’m not doing the half.

I did that in 2017. If you’re trained, the hardest part is there early mornings. And making sure you have fresh shoes.

I will be Prince John, that phony king of England.

That ear worm will take awhile to get out of my head!

I'm honestly annoyed with so much of my clothing when I run, I didn't want anything costume wise that would bother me.

I’m similar. I will “Disney bound” with costumes but have yet to do a true costume.

Cause WHY NOT!?!?

Exactly. Charming Charlie’s makes awesome tiaras, so why not wear one!???!

Biofreeze wears off too fast.

Glad you feel that way too.

I am signed up for all three. I just couldn’t resist, especially since I had to sit out of the half and full in 2018 when I registered for Dopey. I had horrible plantar fasciitis, I am finally feeling good again and getting back to where I was pre-injury. My daughter will run the 5k with me, it will be her first 5k.

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!

Ok A) I so wanted to do Vanelope but I had a hard time finding teal tights that I liked then I thought I would get hot in a hooded shirt so I scraped the idea and went with my personal favorite snow white.

B) I can't imagine running in the bitter cold on icy sidewalks! Now I feel like a big wimp for not completing my run because of 65 degree rain and wind....yes, I live here in FL. So kudos to you for toughing that out!!

No kidding! I can run in the cold and rain, but ice and snow is where I draw the line!

I’m doing pink aurora for the 10k and coronation Elsa for the half. Was doing ok with training until last week when work stress got the best of me. Hopefully get back on track for some maintenance runs this week and a 5-6 mile run on Saturday

I love reading about everyone's costumes. Dressing up at Disney is one of my favorite things so I love to hear all the costume ideas.

My friend and I are running all three races. Haunted Mansion theme for the 5k: Tightrope walker and Madame Leota. Villians for the 10k: Maleficent and Ursula. And a comfy sparkle skirt for the half.
The HM characters will be really fun.

more races = more fun. Besides with the 10k you may have more time to stop with charactes.

My daughter really wanted us to be Vanelope, Ralph and Felix but were worried about her running in that costume.

Question about the 5k- do they pipe music in throughout Epcot during the run? I’m making a running playlist but the music they play in the parks gets me super pumped a lot bc I’m a nerd :)

9 days until I leave. 9 DAYS. It absolutely cannot come soon enough. We are getting clobbered by another snowstorm up here (the 4th in the last 3 and a half weeks, after getting barely a flake for all of December and half of January) and I, who typically likes winter, am so done. It’s hard to believe that on January 18th, I was running outside. There better not be another system next week Thursday or I will be livid!

I’m doing a light Disney bound Minnie for 10K with DH doing Mickey with his 40th bday shirt I had made.

For the half, Ariel and Eric, but again nothing too dramatic.

Not that I need another thing to worry about for the weekend, but the whole “government shutdown” thing and the affect on plane flights is worrying me. We are already not arriving until 8:30 Friday night, and departing super early Monday morning. As my Mother would say “don’t borrow trouble.” Anybody else worried?

Not that I need another thing to worry about for the weekend, but the whole “government shutdown” thing and the affect on plane flights is worrying me. We are already not arriving until 8:30 Friday night, and departing super early Monday morning. As my Mother would say “don’t borrow trouble.” Anybody else worried?
I’d be lying if I said it hadn’t crossed my mind. Hoping it won’t be a problem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter