2020 - Week before or after Labor Day

Absinthe

Earning My Ears
Hello Disney Fans!

I need your advice on the trip we are planning.

This will be our first family trip to DL. Our two children will be 5.5 & 8. We plan on staying 10 days total with 5 days at the park split throughout that time. We are searching for the best days to go, low crowds, and possibly recommendations on the level of heat during that time.

With all that said, I am asking for your expert knowledge on which week would be ideal for my family?

Plans in 2020 for either Aug 26-Sep 5 or Sep 9-Sep 19?

Thank you for your insight!

Until SWGE opens and the initial hysteria settles into some kind of pattern, it won't be possible to predict any kind of "best" days or weeks. It isn't possible now to predict consistently low crowd periods with any accuracy, barring periods of heavy, cold rain, so throwing SWGE into the mix makes things even harder to guess, except to say that things will be more crowded than they are now. The week after Labor Day has been pretty good, historically, but that was without SWGE.
The weather is a little easier -- this thread should have helpful info for you: Detailed Weather Data for DLR. September is usually a warm to very warm month in Southern California. It is also the usual start for Santa Ana wind season (hot, dry winds that can cancel fireworks). It is usually very good weather for swimming at the hotel.
Know that traditionally, DLR goes to the non-peak/low season schedule around the last week of August: shorter hours, less staffing, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, more refurbs, etc. HM usually goes down for the Halloween overlay around the third week of August. SM goes down for its overlay the week after Labor Day. We'll see this year if SWGE changes any of this.
With 5 days in the parks, even with crowds, you should have enough time to see pretty much everything you want at a not-too-stressed pace. And you're off to a great start by beginning your planning here so far in advance. You just have to wait to see how SWGE's opening affects the parks and what the best ways will be to deal with that.

I would choose the week after labor day without a doubt. Many schools on the west coast start back right after labor day. I know many parents are willing to pull children from school for a visit to DLR (I’m one of them)!!! But, I don’t think most will do it in that first week of school.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it will be packed still, but maybe not quite as bad. And going early September you may get to see Halloween decorations & the ride overlays!

Until SWGE opens and the initial hysteria settles into some kind of pattern, it won't be possible to predict any kind of "best" days or weeks. It isn't possible now to predict consistently low crowd periods with any accuracy, barring periods of heavy, cold rain, so throwing SWGE into the mix makes things even harder to guess, except to say that things will be more crowded than they are now. The week after Labor Day has been pretty good, historically, but that was without SWGE.
The weather is a little easier -- this thread should have helpful info for you. September is usually a warm to very warm month in Southern California. It is also the usual start for Santa Ana wind season (hot, dry winds that can cancel fireworks). It is usually very good weather for swimming at the hotel.
Know that traditionally, DLR goes to the non-peak/low season schedule around the last week of August: shorter hours, less staffing, less entertainment, nighttime entertainment on weekends only, more refurbs, etc. HM usually goes down for the Halloween overlay around the third week of August. SM goes down for its overlay the week after Labor Day. We'll see this year if SWGE changes any of this.
With 5 days in the parks, even with crowds, you should have enough time to see pretty much everything you want at a not-too-stressed pace. And you're off to a great start by beginning your planning here so far in advance. You just have to wait to see how SWGE's opening affects the parks and what the best ways will be to deal with that.

Thank you for the detailed response.

Part of the decision to wait for 2020 is hopefully the park stabilizes a little bit with regards to the additional draw of SWGE.

To confirm, Splash Mountain is offline the week after Labor Day or the week of? And does that happen every year? My wife would be devestated as it’s her favorite ride.

I would choose the week after labor day without a doubt. Many schools on the west coast start back right after labor day. I know many parents are willing to pull children from school for a visit to DLR (I’m one of them)!!! But, I don’t think most will do it in that first week of school.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it will be packed still, but maybe not quite as bad. And going early September you may get to see Halloween decorations & the ride overlays!

I am leaning this direction as well. My kids do not start school until the third week of September so we are good on that front and most other schools are in session.

Do you know how prevalent out of school travelers are during that timeframe? Basically, people not affected by our school schedules.

Last edited:

Thank you for the detailed response.

Part of the decision to wait for 2020 is hopefully the park stabilizes a little bit with regards to the additional draw of SWGE.

To confirm, Splash Mountain is offline the week after Labor Day or the week of? And does that happen every year? My wife would be devestated as it’s her favorite ride...
SM = Space Mt., which goes down for 2 or 3 days before the start of Halloween Time every year to get the Space Mt. Ghost Galaxy (SMGG) overlay. Splash Mt. is not affected by Halloween Time since it currently does not get decorated or themed for the holiday (although that would be cool!).

... Do you know how prevalent out of school travelers are during that timeframe? Basically, people not affected by our school schedules.
This thread should give you a basic idea of how the school schedules run around DLR: 2019 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR. DLR is affected by district schedules in CA (southern and northern), AZ, NV, UT, OR, and WA. That's a lot of school districts and breaks to work around. In southern CA, there are traditional, year round, and home school calendars -- so it seems like someone is always going on break or just getting off from a break. And there are a surprising number of home schoolers in southern CA, so their schedules are very flexible. I would base your dates on your own kids' school calendar and not try to second guess anything else. It's just too complicated and, more often than not, ends up not working as well as hoped. We tell people here to plan for the time that works best for them, double check here that nothing bizarre or insane will be happening at the same time, then do the research and make the best plans and backup plans, bring a positive attitude, and go have a great trip!

The week after Labor Day no doubt, although the weekends could be busier if lower level pass holders are are allowed in (Deluxe and lower). The weekdays should be fine though.

The second week should include Halloween frstivities. This year Halloween season begins September 6. Weather should be about the same and local crowds should be better that second week.

The week after Labor Day no doubt, although the weekends could be busier if lower level pass holders are are allowed in (Deluxe and lower). The weekdays should be fine though.
Very good point about checking when the summer blockout ends for the lower APs. (OP: check the AP blockout calendar on the DLR website.) The week before a major blockout starts and the week after a major blockout ends are usually very busy in the parks. Even on weekdays, the crowds will start building from late afternoon/early evening onward as passholders get out of school and work, then head to the parks. This year will be very busy when the blockout ends because the lower passholders will want to see SWGE. Next year? Probably still busy, but maybe not quite as intense.

Very good point about checking when the summer blockout ends for the lower APs. (OP: check the AP blockout calendar on the DLR website.) The week before a major blockout starts and the week after a major blockout ends are usually very busy in the parks. Even on weekdays, the crowds will start building from late afternoon/early evening onward as passholders get out of school and work, then head to the parks. This year will be very busy when the blockout ends because the lower passholders will want to see SWGE. Next year? Probably still busy, but maybe not quite as intense.

Extremely good point.

This year it appears will end last week of August. I fear it will be the same next year as well. I will definitely keep an eye on that news once released.

The second week should include Halloween frstivities. This year Halloween season begins September 6. Weather should be about the same and local crowds should be better that second week.

Unfortunately the one issue my SO brought up was her adversity to the Halloween decorations as she wants to experience traditional Disney vs the Halloween version, putting us in a precarious position.

... Unfortunately the one issue my SO brought up was her adversity to the Halloween decorations as she wants to experience traditional Disney vs the Halloween version, putting us in a precarious position.
Is there any way you could visit earlier in August? That would solve several issues. You would not have to worry about the lower APs because the summer blockout (for DL anyway) should still be in place until about the third week of August. You would have the peak/high season schedule until around the end of the third week of the month, i.e. longer hours, more staffing (don't underestimate the impact of this!), fewer/no refurbs, more rides running at full capacity (again, the impact of this is big), more entertainment and nighttime entertainment every night, etc. HM should still be running in its classic form until at least the third week of August. Don't worry about summer crowds. When DLR is prepared for and staffed for those crowds, the parks run smoothly and you don't feel the crowds as much as you think you would.

Is there any way you could visit earlier in August? That would solve several issues. You would not have to worry about the lower APs because the summer blockout (for DL anyway) should still be in place until about the third week of August. You would have the peak/high season schedule until around the end of the third week of the month, i.e. longer hours, more staffing (don't underestimate the impact of this!), fewer/no refurbs, more rides running at full capacity (again, the impact of this is big), more entertainment and nighttime entertainment every night, etc. HM should still be running in its classic form until at least the third week of August. Don't worry about summer crowds. When DLR is prepared for and staffed for those crowds, the parks run smoothly and you don't feel the crowds as much as you think you would.

Not a bad idea. From all the crowd calculators, it appears that the last week of August is less busy than the pervious, but you’re stating it may be higher count of people though better prepared resulting in an overall smoother experience across the park?

Not a bad idea. From all the crowd calculators, it appears that the last week of August is less busy than the pervious, but you’re stating it may be higher count of people though better prepared resulting in an overall smoother experience across the park?

Regarding crowd calendars at DLR: Most accurate crowd calendars?.

The difference between the parks prepared for crowds (peak schedule) and the parks not prepared for crowds, even when those crowds are lower, (non-peak schedule) is palpable. When the crowds are lower, but the hours are shorter, staffing is lower, rides are running fewer vehicles, etc., you will feel like the parks are more crowded because the lines will be longer (fewer servers at CS restaurants, fewer vehicles means you wait longer to load each ride), bathrooms don't get cleaned as often, there isn't as much entertainment to spread out the crowds, etc. You actually want the peak schedule because it makes the parks handle the crowds well and keeps things running very smoothly.

Regarding crowd calendars at DLR:

The difference between the parks prepared for crowds (peak schedule) and the parks not prepared for crowds, even when those crowds are lower, (non-peak schedule) is palpable. When the crowds are lower, but the hours are shorter, staffing is lower, rides are running fewer vehicles, etc., you will feel like the parks are more crowded because the lines will be longer (fewer servers at CS restaurants, fewer vehicles means you wait longer to load each ride), bathrooms don't get cleaned as often, there isn't as much entertainment to spread out the crowds, etc. You actually want the peak schedule because it makes the parks handle the crowds well and keeps things running very smoothly.

Thanks for the insight.

I will discuss with my wife as this may be the way to go. Temperatures would be the only factor though the difference between Mid August or Late August is negligible.

We have gone to the parks many times during the week right after Labor day. It is historically a slower time but isn't as slow as it used to be. However, it's still a good bet to be one of the slowest times of the year.

I would love to go to Disney the week after school starts! I would assume it would be one of the slower times to go with kids going back to school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter