2021 2022 influenza season

Southernmiss

I am hazed everyday
Daughter came home from college for Thanksgiving break today. Yay!

She told us that cases of seasonal flu on campus have been high this week. One of her classes was canceled because so many had emailed the professor that they were sick. 2 friends have the flu now. And at the televised school football game tonight, the announcer said the band is down by 40 students who are out with the flu. I had no idea flu was on campus. I haven't heard of cases here at home, yet

I also heard that a university in Michigan has already reported over 500 cases.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/flu-season-outbreaks-college-campuses-tell-us-rcna5910
Fortunately, dd got her flu shot on campus last month. And believes that has kept her protected.

Dh and I coincidentally got our covid booster and flu shots today. I wondered if flu shot would be needed this year, but am now glad I got it.

This shot protects against 4 strains this year. The CDC map is not showing a lot of cases, yet.

How about anyone else?

Last edited:
I’m glad we all got the flu shot early too! My cousin had the flu several weeks ago and the doctor said it was the first case he’d seen this season, I’ve since heard of lots of college kids resting positive with flu too

As someone who works in health care, yes, we are seeing a lot of flu cases this year. Different than last year when the flu seemed to disappear. My family all received our flu shot last week.

All 4 of a friend's kids have the flu. They have a lot of medical issues and their doctor told their mom that it's not safe for them to get the flu shot. :(

We were out shopping today and there was a lot and I mean a lot of others coughing bad. Something we haven’t heard in awhile. Due to that, today was the last day where we went out in public during peak hours. We’re also done with sit down restaurants and going back to takeout/to-go only from now until Spring time.

I posted about my son having the flu and pneumonia the other week. It is running rampant at his university. We just picked him up from the airport for Thanksgiving break and he said that along with the flu, strep is making the rounds too.

I'm guessing because we didn't have much flu last year that the odds of the flu shot being effective are pretty low this year. Be careful out there.

About a month ago, there was a huge outbreak of the flu at a local university (medical residents). Now that people are back ou in their workplaces and public gatherings, I suspect it's going to be quite normal year for the flu. We had so much distancing and masking last year, well, it was really effective against the flu!

I picked my son up from University of Michigan on Friday and took him to urgent care to get him tested for covid as he had a new cough and runny nose. He tested positive for flu (A) and was prescribed Tamiflu. Coincidentally we were planning on getting our flu shots this weekend. We were going last week and I broke my foot instead. (not that a week would have given him immunity anyways)

Stressing out a little as marching band is ramping up and he has some awesome bowl opportunies! I would love for him to be well enough to make the travel group! Big Ten Championship challenges for the travel team are tomorrow afternoon. Cutting it close!!

My sister in law (1x J&J) had a severe flu the last week. She really thought it was Covid, because to of her colleagues, who she had had a training with a few days before did test positive. My sister in law tested negative, and hopes the test was right.

I hope so too, as I spend all day with her yesterday ;-)

DW and I have continued wearing a mask as soon as we exit the car along with sani-wipes when we re-enter and giving a wide berth as we walk past others. Overall it's apparently back 2 normal with few shoppers in the stores with masks. Zinc every day can't hurt.

What are the symptoms of this year's flu and how do they differ from Covid symptoms? In other words how do you know which is which?

DW and I have continued wearing a mask as soon as we exit the car along with sani-wipes when we re-enter and giving a wide berth as we walk past others. Overall it's apparently back 2 normal with few shoppers in the stores with masks. Zinc every day can't hurt.

I guess it depends where you live. My mom is freaking out because she spends 1/2 the year in Florida and 1/2 in Virginia. She just got down to Florida a few weeks ago and no one is wearing a mask for the most part. She went into a very crowded Publix yesterday and she said no one, but the workers, have them on. In Virginia where I live, it's a very different story although mask usage is down.

What are the symptoms of this year's flu and how do they differ from Covid symptoms? In other words how do you know which is which?
My son’s roommate only knows because he was tested for both. Positive for flu, negative for COVID. He’s vaccinated for Covid but hadn’t gotten his flu shot yet.

My sister in law (1x J&J) had a severe flu the last week. She really thought it was Covid, because to of her colleagues, who she had had a training with a few days before did test positive. My sister in law tested negative, and hopes the test was right.

I hope so too, as I spend all day with her yesterday ;-)
Hi Karin, boy I miss getting regular news from NL and I appreciate you popping in on these other threads occasionally. Do you vaccinate for flu there?

I was exposed to a person we were sure must have contracted Covid two weeks ago; she tested negative and was diagnosed with the common cold. Not so common here over the past 20 months actually, due to all the Covid protocols. Canada had next-to-nothing for diagnosed flu cases last year as well and although we've got almost 80% of the adult population fully vaxxed now and have opened back up significantly, many of our restrictions are still in place. Masking, distancing, limited gathering sizes and proof-of-vaccine for most public activities/events including restaurant dine-in, theater, sports, etc. Logically, the spread of flu will be curtailed this season as well.
There is absolutely no way to know and from what's been reported, the dominant Delta variant doesn't seem to be affecting taste-and-smell, which was the sure-thing symptom previously. Any kind of respiratory symptoms must be reported and tested here; it's still a mandated requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter