2023 Summer Virtual Series

Fastest is showing 22 minutes for me. Hopefully, I get in. I suspect this is the only Disney100 medal that is coming.

I just finished registration. I clicked on the link a couple minutes before 10am and it showed the wait to be over an hour. It ended up closer to 25 minutes. The payment screen did not like VPN so it took me some extra time to figure that out.

Yeah, wait times are starting to drop. I had one at 5 minutes when my first window opened and after some anxious waiting because Safari would not tell me what field I had forgotten to click in my hurry to register, I finally found it and learned that my 5 minute wait window was now ready for registration.

Overall, this went about as smoothly as Marathon weekend for 2024 did.

I checked out of mere curiosity and Steamboat Willie and Sorcerer's Apprentice are sold out at 10:50 am.

I went ahead and signed up for the challenge. There's a good chance I'll just keep the challenge medal and try to sell my other ones on eBay as part of my fundraising efforts for MW. I can't help myself. I'm a sucker for the bling, lol

I'm also surprised this sells out, maybe they have to guess how many medals they need to order since it close to summer and didn't want to be stuck with merch?

I don't understand why they do that. I guess they want to create false demand? These shouldn't have a cap like the in person races do.

I'm also surprised this sells out, maybe they have to guess how many medals they need to order since it close to summer and didn't want to be stuck with merch?

My guess is that the factories that make these medals are booked out many months in advance and RunDisney has to sign a contract with them for x number of medals LONG before registration even opens. The factories likely don't have the leeway to accommodate changes in the number of medals ordered. Similarly, since they use a shipping service, they likely have a contract with them, as well, for x number of shipments to be made within a negotiated date range.

My guess is that the factories that make these medals are booked out many months in advance and RunDisney has to sign a contract with them for x number of medals LONG before registration even opens. The factories likely don't have the leeway to accommodate changes in the number of medals ordered. Similarly, since they use a shipping service, they likely have a contract with them, as well, for x number of shipments to be made within a negotiated date range.
Sure but even then these at least the last few years have been selling out really no issue. So why not increase that number? I totally get having a cap and having to have numbers into manufacturers but it seems runDisney is really lowballing things.

Geez the virtuals are selling out same day now?
I think this has more to do with the popularity of Mickey Mouse and the Disney 100 theme overall than virtual races suddenly becoming more popular. The virtual races the previous two years were themed to one movie each. And while they were certainly popular movies, Mickey is Mickey. I am a bit surprised that the challenge has not sold out yet given that it's likely to be the only Disney100 medal with both Mickey and Minnie.
Sure but even then these at least the last few years have been selling out really no issue. So why not increase that number? I totally get having a cap and having to have numbers into manufacturers but it seems runDisney is really lowballing things.
While it's fair to say they perhaps should have seen Mickey and Disney100 being more popular than The Lion King or Frozen, they may well have looked at historical data for virtual summer series sell outs and just ordered that with perhaps a modest increase because of Mickey. I just think they would rather have too few medals than far too many medals that they can't sell.

For both the last 2 years, the summer series took a long time to sell out even though they were based on two of the most beloved movies the company has ever made.

I went ahead and signed up for the challenge. There's a good chance I'll just keep the challenge medal and try to sell my other ones on eBay as part of my fundraising efforts for MW. I can't help myself. I'm a sucker for the bling, lol
I am also a sucker for the bling! I just can't help myself. 😂

I think they have bundled most of the medals in the Challenge, which is why that has not sold out yet but the individual races are sold out, there weren't many of them to begin with. A certain number of people will be willing to buy all the medals in order to get the one they really want and Disney is counting on that. They always have the option to unbundle challenge registrations if they aren't selling out-much the way they do with the in-person race registrations.

Has anyone been able to print their bib? It's been a couple of years since I've done the virtual race series and I don't see where it is...??

Please settle an argument between DH and myself. I say that everyone who has paid the registration fee will automatically have medals mailed. He says that you will only receive your medal(s) after you log in and report your times.

Backstory: I do plan on competed the 5ks at one point but it won't be June and likely won't be this summer. I am waiting for the doctor to confirm it but I believe that I am about to go back into the ortho boot. Yes, I was way too ambitious to think I could do this right now 😥

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter