• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

25 extra points - rent?

You don't have to cancel a reservation you won't use, but it would be courteous to other owners who might be looking for last-minute availability to do so.

I definitely would!

I'm thinking once we know for sure we won't use the points, I may try to book a studio for 1-night this Spring and just see what I can do with it. I figure worst case is no one wants it and while we're out the points, I was just considering them a "bonus" with our contract anyway.

I definitely would!

I'm thinking once we know for sure we won't use the points, I may try to book a studio for 1-night this Spring and just see what I can do with it. I figure worst case is no one wants it and while we're out the points, I was just considering them a "bonus" with our contract anyway.
I think you said these points don't expire until May 2024 - which means you can easily get a night or 2 for VGC at the 11-month mark for before expiration and rent that out.

I think you said these points don't expire until May 2024 - which means you can easily get a night or 2 for VGC at the 11-month mark for before expiration and rent that out.

Yeah, I think that's what I'm leaning toward doing once the points are in our account. I could do a Friday/Saturday this Spring for 24 points. I suppose it's possible someone would want just 1 night. More likely there that at a WDW resort, I imagine.

If I do this through an agency, I have no idea how much I could expect to get from them though. Not a lot, I know. But still clueless on what a normal amount to expect would be.

The cheapest point rooms at VGC are most of January or February when you can get a studio on a weekday for 17 points. I checked and there seems to be still a lot of availability in January and February next year. I assume you have other 2023 points that are not banked so you could book two weeknights in January and try to rent that. If you are not successful, you could still cancel the reservation and bank the non-banked points into 2024. I suspect you would be able to rent the reservation because there are a lot of people who would like to stay at VGC. Of course the spring stay would probably rent easier but you would need to cancel and bank the non-banked points into 2024 by the end of January (you cannot bank points in the last four months of your use year).

IMO I would look at the "Last minute getaways" tab on the DVC website and just skim through there and see of those which is the most expensive room (points wise) I can book for one/two nights and then rent out that reservation for cheap. At the very least you guarantee you can get SOMETHING out of it. I would not recommend buying OTU points, given that they're selling for what.. 22 dollars per point now? You're essentially cutting into the little amount you are earning back on those 25 points. Maybe if it's only one or two OTU points but yeah.. I'd rather just sell the confirmed reservation cheap as a single night in a 1BR.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think that's what I'm leaning toward doing once the points are in our account. I could do a Friday/Saturday this Spring for 24 points. I suppose it's possible someone would want just 1 night. More likely there that at a WDW resort, I imagine.

If I do this through an agency, I have no idea how much I could expect to get from them though. Not a lot, I know. But still clueless on what a normal amount to expect would be.
I would definitely do this. It’s almost inconceivable you won’t get a bite.

They make you pay to post here and it is not open forum.
You do not have to pay if the requirements have been met.

You must purchase a Rental Plan to offer your points for rent or transfer on the DVC Rent/Transfer Board UNLESS you meet the following requirements:

• You have had your DIS user-name for at least 6 months, and
  • You have made at least 8 posts in at least 4 of the past 6 months (months are counted on a daily basis the same as DVC computes 11 month/7 month priorities), and
  • You have made at least 50 non-Rent/Transfer Board posts in the last 6 months as verified by the DIS 'Search' engine. Posts made on the DVC Rent/Trade Board will not count towards this requirement.
  • Posts counted towards this requirement will be based on the timestamp for the Eastern time zone.
  • Those meeting these requirements will provide users the same permissions allowed in the Silver Rental Plan - a maximum of three rental threads including one existing reservation offered within 30 days of the reservation arrival date.

We will likely have 25 points that we won't be able to use before they expire. We are new to all of this so I was thinking I should just try to rent them out on a site like https://dvcrentalstore.com/ Have people had good experiences doing this?

Does it make more sense to rent the points out? Or make an actual reservation and try to rent that? I really want to do what's easiest since I've never done this before.
I would rent them out. Easily can be done on Facebook Dvc rental groups. There are always people looking, even for just 1 night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter