2nd guessing my trip :(

I have seen this name come up and was going to look into whether he can fit us all. I also have to figure out flight times still. Ideally we arrive early afternoon than I can factor in a grocery stop somehow...but reality will likely be late evening to save some $$$.

On this past trip we came in about 10:30 pm our flight was delayed and he was there. He has pretty good size vans. I am sure he could fit you in. We just made it to the regular grocery store but I am sure there are stores opened later or 24 hours.

My 5th person cost is the roll away at $25/night. No chance we can get an air mattress as flying is a whole chunk of cash in its own, no space for extras.

Also my price is for 3 day 3 park to park tickets. Adding to 5 days will obviously increase our total again. We are not gate open people, usually its 9-10am before we are heading to parks. If I stay Cabana Bay we would go without the EP option entirely in order to save $$$.

Have definatley just started researching airport transportation, so if I can cut some costs there, perfect.

When it comes to numbers I kind of have to compare. It will not be "to the dissapointment of my family" if we plan elsewhere. If I cant make numbers balance than we simply dont go. If plans chance because we can afford one trip over another they are happy to travel. What I am trying to figure out is the value I hear everyone mention they find at Universal. I feel like Im missing it in my research because Im getting a shorter stay, less park time etc for more money.

Add that to my ride fears and yes im nervous, i dont want to spend the vacation stressing about a wasted trip.

Side note. As a family of 5 I'm estimating $1500 in food over the days. Light breakfast, quick lunch, occasional CityWalk supper. Plus two snacks (this is cold drinks as well) and coffee. Does this seem reasonable? I am hoping Im way over, but I've pulled up menus and if that is how we eat it came up close with tips.

Are there any grocer deliveries to the Universal resorts?

Just had a look at your dates on Universal's site:

With the Splash, Stay & Save Vacation Package (https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/tickets-packages/deals-specials/index.html), you can book at CBBR for 5 nights with a 5-day 3-park ticket for $2552.39 - like Disney, the difference between a 3-day and 5-day ticket is nominal - ~$100 total for your whole family and this gives you an extra 2 days in the parks and reduces the need for EPs. Plus in a family suite at CBBR, you have 2 Queen beds plus a sofa bed - no need for an air mattress and no extra per night cost.

While I love RPR and EPs, if I had a larger family and was looking to save, I would totally book at CBBR.

With regard to your meal budget, I think it sounds reasonable but it really depends on how you like to dine and whether or not you drink - alcoholic beverages (especially mixed drinks) at Universal are costly - as they are at all theme parks!

A couple of suggestions/comments:

- Consider getting a 3-park preferred AP for one of your party. That will save you 10% on food (at most restaurants) and merchandise and might save you on your hotel (promo code APH - these discounts usually become available 2-3 months before your date). Also, you are traveling during the traditional annual passholder appreciation time when UO offers additional discounts. The last two years it was on their quick service dining plan (buy one, get one 50% off), their photo pass ($99 for 1 year), and Blue Man group tickets. You can also use the AP to buy discounted multi-day tickets for the rest of the family (although you may still get a better deal by going through Undercover Tourist or someplace similar for your tickets).

- I would recommend adding more days to your tickets - at least one day. With 4-5 days at that time of year, I think you could easily forego the EP. Plus Universal is VERY different from Disney in that it is quick and easy to pop over to the park for a couple of hours, come back and spend some time at the hotel (or Volcano Bay) and then go back to catch an hour or two before park close. I know that some people may disagree with me, but I've never felt the need for a resort day at UO.

- Cabana Bay has some huge up-sides for your family - cheaper, more space, proximity to Volcano Bay (the convenience cannot be beat) to name a few. The kitchenette makes doing breakfast in the room super simple (saving time and $$$) and allows you to do leftovers from your CityWalk meals. And don't discount the food court at CB for meals. I did on my first two stays and then I tried it for dinner. OMG, I was so wrong. The food is good, plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

-Tony Hinds has a large van that could definitely fit your family. RT to/from the airport is $100 plus tip and includes a grocery stop. Tony is fantastic and worth every single penny. My advice - do not go with the shuttle that Universal offers. Just don't! I used it once, trying to save some money on a short trip, and had an incredibly awful experience with them. Never again!

Hope that helps!

I’ve noticed the comments about the 3 park ticket...is going to VB necessary? With all the pools on property and what I consider to be a shorter trip...

Tony uses a ten passenger van and can also hold all your luggage

UT usually has better prices for UO tickets
Same tickets you can buy from UO but a bit cheaper

Thank everyone. I am starting to get excited again. Prices still seem crazy, but I guess its just the way it is.
Being in Canada, I am trying to find booking in Canadian funds. It seems to actually work out a little less without dealing with an online exchange rate.
Simply based on our dates we can only manage 4 park days max, but I found a site that has a 4 day park to park for less than the 3 day I had looked at so I will keep searching.
I think my kids will like Volcano Bay. The plan is to at least have the ticket as an option, but I will look into the pool hopping a bit more. Maybe we can save by only doing 2 parks and pools.
I am a CAA member, which I believe (and forgot) can save me some funds at stores and restaurants so I will remember to factor that into my spending.

Thank everyone. I am starting to get excited again. Prices still seem crazy, but I guess its just the way it is.
Being in Canada, I am trying to find booking in Canadian funds. It seems to actually work out a little less without dealing with an online exchange rate.
Simply based on our dates we can only manage 4 park days max, but I found a site that has a 4 day park to park for less than the 3 day I had looked at so I will keep searching.
I think my kids will like Volcano Bay. The plan is to at least have the ticket as an option, but I will look into the pool hopping a bit more. Maybe we can save by only doing 2 parks and pools.
I am a CAA member, which I believe (and forgot) can save me some funds at stores and restaurants so I will remember to factor that into my spending.

CAA only saves if you buy a package through CAA. It has changed.

Be sure to compare to the seasonal and annual passholder rates. Last year, I purchased 3 day 2 park tickets. I had purchased them all (4 of them) from Undercover Tourist but at different times. I then upgraded them to Seasonal Passes at the park and was given a $20 refund on two of the tickets. The other two were even exchanges.

My 5th person cost is the roll away at $25/night. No chance we can get an air mattress as flying is a whole chunk of cash in its own, no space for extras.

You might check into buying a cheap air mattress from Amazon and having it sent directly to the hotel. Then just leave it there. You can get a twin for the price of a roll away for one night.

Domo is correct about CAA.

Back in 2011 we just had to show our AAA card in order to get the savings but sometime in late 2015/early 2016 they changed their deal. Now when you book a package through AAA/CAA you will get a savings card along with it. The savings card is the only way to get a discount now with AAA/CAA and the only way to get the savings card is to book a package with AAA/CAA.

When we went to Universal in September we bought a ticket through Undercover Tourist for buy 2 get 1 day free park to park. Universal themselves also has ticket deals too though I would alway price out with authorized ticket resellers. Volcano Bay is also included in certain ticket deals.

I do agree with other comments. Make a tally up of the costs and expected costs but don't compare it directly with what Disney costs at least in thinking about a go no go type situation. Comparison like that often (based on the comments) leads to disatisfaction as you're constantly looking at it from a Disney vs Universal mindset.

We've had a couple package quotes from a friend of mine who is a travel agent. Will definitely be going with Cabana Bay, no express pass. All costs added together Royal Pacific is too high, but at least the bed issue is no more. I think we may also cancel out Volcano Bay and pool hop instead.

Has anyone booked the hotel through Under Cover tourist before? I know it ends up being U.S. funds, but the price I found on there for hotel and the 2 day park to park (and 2 free days) was decent even after an online exchange glance.

We've had a couple package quotes from a friend of mine who is a travel agent. Will definitely be going with Cabana Bay, no express pass. All costs added together Royal Pacific is too high, but at least the bed issue is no more. I think we may also cancel out Volcano Bay and pool hop instead.

Has anyone booked the hotel through Under Cover tourist before? I know it ends up being U.S. funds, but the price I found on there for hotel and the 2 day park to park (and 2 free days) was decent even after an online exchange glance.

Noticing that you're Canadian, Have a look at the hotel rates on airtransat.com (booking a hotel only). You pay in Canadian funds and I find it's always a bit cheaper than booking our Universal Hotel through a US site (after exchange rate).

Also, if you want to get super nerdy about checking out ride wait times. I always use this site/page https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/wait_times.php?a=history (you need to create a login). You can go back to the same period last year, pick your park, and then check what every rides wait time was, per day, per hour to help get a sense of what you might be looking at in terms of potential wait times during your trip.

Do run the numbers on your own. Agents usually just make things easier, not necessarily cheaper. Don’t do a package- compare the a la carte prices. Packages charge a higher change fee than if you book everything separately.

Do run the numbers on your own. Agents usually just make things easier, not necessarily cheaper. Don’t do a package- compare the a la carte prices. Packages charge a higher change fee than if you book everything separately.

I'm trying, my biggest concern is flight. Our last two trips to Florida we drove. Its 19hours each way and exhausting on my husband because he does the driving...but we can do the round trip to/from for under $800. Flights for 5, not even close. I have been hoping the agent can help us get a deal for those at least, but if we only book flight she has to charge me an extra fee again.

I would run the numbers again but we drive down and we find that Universal is almost always cheaper than Disney! And I would recommend what other people have said, if you can do more days then you should not need the Express Passes. We find you really only need then if you are trying to do both parks in one day or it is an extremely busy time of the year.

We just stayed CBBR and it was great and would highly recommend it (Trip Report). I think it is a great price point for larger families and the kitchen area is great for making breakfast in the morning to save money and time. I would be hard pressed to not do Volcano Bay, it is a great day and if you get there early you can get everything done by 1-2pm and hit the parks in the evening. It was one of the best days we had on our last trip.

Sky Scanner and google Flight are handy. I use Sky Scanner’s month view to pick the cheapest date configuration as I usually have a little flexibility on dates. You can set fare alerts for when the price drops to an amount you want. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter