3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

I understand why they had to remove the waterfall from the Poly lobby, but I definitely miss it! I also think the replacement water feature could have been a lot better!

I am very impressed with your Trader Sam's glass collection! We have 2 of the plastic punch tiki-containers. Those are fun to use in an exercise class for water. Definitely more fun than your average Nalgene bottle!

Fun update! I love how there is so much to do in wdw without even going to a park.

Your family picture in front of the centerpiece is adorable!

I have only been to the Trader Sam's in Disneyland.. I got the shrunken Zombie Head for the glass while I was there-- the drink wasn't my favorite. I am looking forward to checking out the one in wdw one day.. I want to try this Polynesian Pearl that your wife seemed to enjoy :thumbsup2

Great family photo! Sounds like a nice time at Trader Sams! I'm sorry the temperature forced you outside- I would have been miserable in there!

Those are some cool pics of Wishes the EWP going on at the same time!

Whoop! All caught up!!
Love the birthday pictures! Looks like a great time!!
That beer flight sounds delicious!!!
Love the pics from the poly! I love Trader Sams! Although we never managed to make it to the DLR one!! Just an excuse to go back I guess bahaha!

We found it and a CM was out front and asked us "you know this is a bar right?" and we are all "um, yeah!"

That's odd that a CM would say that - maybe noting the 3 kiddos in tow? I'd be a bit annoyed at that CM for insinuating anything.

(side note - these are the best "kids souvenir glasses" ever - they are really solid and well made)

Agreed! We have two and Aria uses them all the time.

The bartenders were fun too - I think it would be a great time for Judi and I to do a date night there (if they made it less like a freezer) but with the kids it was just time to get out

Interesting about the cold, but yes would be a fun date night!

The outside area was really nice - we set up at a table near this waterfall wall/feature and they had live music performer playing Hawaiin style music and he was great - really a good vibe out there. Guess we were feeling like taking some selfies (you can see the waterfall wall behind us)

The outside sounds wonderful though to relax.

I decided to try the Spikey Pineapple which is a drink only available at the terrace - it is Barbancourt Pango Rhum lended with Pineapple Soft-serve - and it was amazing! Would totally get it again, especially on a hot day

That sounds delicious, I didn't realize you could get some drinks outside you can't get in!

I also got a picture of the three kids near one of the tiki statues when I took them back to use the facilities (because, goodness forbid they go when we were near them ... and of course if one of them has to go they all have to go)

Funny and so true!

When Wishes started the Electric Water Pageant was going on - so I think it made for some neat pictures of the Castle in the background, the pageant in the foreground and the fireworks above ... well, at least as good as I can get with my little point-and-shoot

Very cool!

Sorry to hear that Trader Sams had temperature issues, but I'm glad you enjoyed the outside area. We were there a few months back (didn't feel like waiting for a seat inside at 10:30 on a Saturday night) and I really loved the vibe out there - the music is perfect, the waterfall wall is beautiful, and it's a great place to enjoy a fun, relaxing drink.

I love the pictures of the Electric Water Pageant + Castle + Fireworks - it's the perfect combination of three magical things and the pictures look great!

Good to hear. I have yet to see it since the re-do and am looking forward to stepping in there and soaking it up.

Thanks for the detailed account of Trader Sam's. I've gone back and forth a bit on how we handle it, having Izzy along. I think our plan is to hit it up shortly after it opens and maybe sit inside for a bit to see effects (though some reviews I've read about it not being a place for kids make me slightly hesitant), then venture outside to enjoy the patio w/music and alcoholic Dole Whip. Maybe we just sit on the patio and take turns going in to check it out, I don't know. If we actually make it there, of course. :laughing:

That is pretty cool! Glad you had fun at the meet!

I think I didn't want to like the Poly Lobby but it was really rather nice and has a nice feel to it. I do miss the water feature but they did a good job with what they did

Before 8 I think Trader Sam's is fairly kid friendly but it definitely a "bar" ... so either of your plans would work - just so you know there isn't a door directly from the terrace into the bar, you have to go back inside the Poly to get to the door to Trader Sam's. It isn't that far or anything but it isn't like you can just pop your head in from the terrace

Definitely had fun at the meet ... wish we would have been able to make more of the events but we were combining it with our regular family vacation and had those plans set well in advance of when they announced almost all of the events and just was too hard to move stuff around.

I was hesitant about the Poly lobby but I also liked it more than I thought I would.

I have yet to go inside Trader Sams but everything looks great. Maybe I will save that as something to do when I am 21.

Yay for Dis meet ups! Sounds like an awesome day.

I think I feel the same way as you - hesitant about the Poly Lobby once I heard they were getting rid of the big water feature, but I liked it more than I thought I would/wanted to

You can still check out Trader Sam's without being 21 - but it would be a fun place to celebrate your 21st, for sure

It was a fun day - especially considering we didn't even go to a park :thumbsup2

I understand why they had to remove the waterfall from the Poly lobby, but I definitely miss it! I also think the replacement water feature could have been a lot better!

I am very impressed with your Trader Sam's glass collection! We have 2 of the plastic punch tiki-containers. Those are fun to use in an exercise class for water. Definitely more fun than your average Nalgene bottle!

yeah, while I get why they had to remove the water feature, I guess I wish they could have done something in between - shrunk it but still had some of the same elements, ... but they did a good job with what they did

I just set up our bar to be Trader Sam's themed - I have a few more to get, but doing ok so far I think:
Trader Sam Bar.jpg

Cool idea to bring the tiki cups to your exercise class! :thumbsup2

Fun update! I love how there is so much to do in wdw without even going to a park.

Your family picture in front of the centerpiece is adorable!

I have only been to the Trader Sam's in Disneyland.. I got the shrunken Zombie Head for the glass while I was there-- the drink wasn't my favorite. I am looking forward to checking out the one in wdw one day.. I want to try this Polynesian Pearl that your wife seemed to enjoy :thumbsup2

We usually have our arrival day and one "off" day where we don't go to a park (though plans this trip got adjusted a bit) just to rest a bit and take some time to do non-park things. everything is so well themed that it is fun to see the different resorts and stuff

Thank you so much!

If you like the creamy/cinnimon type flavors (horchatta or rumchata, etc.) then you will definitely like the pearl - Judi obviously liked it ;)

Great family photo! Sounds like a nice time at Trader Sams! I'm sorry the temperature forced you outside- I would have been miserable in there!

Those are some cool pics of Wishes the EWP going on at the same time!

Thanks so much - that seems to be one of our favorite spots to get a family picture ... be fun if we keep that "tradition" going and look back over time at them

It was really cold - usually I am ok with cold and even I thought it was pretty crazy!

Thanks! Wasn't planning on the EWP being there so figured I would take advantage of it and get some different sort of firework pictures!

Whoop! All caught up!!
Love the birthday pictures! Looks like a great time!!
That beer flight sounds delicious!!!
Love the pics from the poly! I love Trader Sams! Although we never managed to make it to the DLR one!! Just an excuse to go back I guess bahaha!

Thanks so much Katt! I am glad the party worked out

especially at breweries like that, with lots of different types of beer I think a flight is the way to go!

The Disneyland Trader Sam's is really nice - a little less open feeling - like the actual bar part takes up more of the room. Some different drinks so fun to go to both if you can!

That's odd that a CM would say that - maybe noting the 3 kiddos in tow? I'd be a bit annoyed at that CM for insinuating anything.

Agreed! We have two and Aria uses them all the time.

Interesting about the cold, but yes would be a fun date night!

The outside sounds wonderful though to relax.

That sounds delicious, I didn't realize you could get some drinks outside you can't get in!

Funny and so true!

Very cool!

To be fair, the CM didn't say it snarky or anything and the door is a little non-descript (I wasn't sure if that was the main/only way to get in or if there was some other way to get in so we may have looked a little confused) - I think she really was trying to ensure we knew what it was and she did add we were welcome to come in, and stuff

Those cups are great - I think we have like 6 or 8 of them now between Disneyland and Walt Disney World

Not sure if it is always like that or what - but it was really cold in there! I mean, it was really hot out so I am sure it felt nice for people coming in from the outside, but even then, after a while it was too much

There is just that one drink that is only available outside - I think because it has the Dole Whip in it they need access to the machines

Emma was really bad this trip (and after) of insisting she goes to the bathroom when anyone else was going (and 90% of the time did nothing)

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that Trader Sams had temperature issues, but I'm glad you enjoyed the outside area. We were there a few months back (didn't feel like waiting for a seat inside at 10:30 on a Saturday night) and I really loved the vibe out there - the music is perfect, the waterfall wall is beautiful, and it's a great place to enjoy a fun, relaxing drink.

I love the pictures of the Electric Water Pageant + Castle + Fireworks - it's the perfect combination of three magical things and the pictures look great!

Not sure what was up with the temperature in there ... but it worked out in the end as not sure if we would have checked out the outside area otherwise and I am glad we did as we really liked it. Fully agree with your thoughts on the outside area!

Thank you! Yeah, and three very "Disney" things I think all together .. definitely something I wasn't expecting but was a fun "accident"

Continuing to really enjoy your trip report!

I not seen the new Poly lobby in person, but love the pics I've seen. And I know I'm in the VAST minority, but I did not like the old "jungle thing" in the middle - always seemed very tangled and overgrown to me. The new lobby seems open, tranquil, but still very tropical feeling at the same time. Iove the pops of color, and the hanging globes.

Is that a Kevin John over your bar? Very nice. I bought one of his Tom Brady's for a friend who's a huge Patriots fan for a Bachelor's Degree completion gift, and she and her hubby LOVE it! He's such a nice guy too - personable, and very interactive with his fans. And I never would have even heard of him if it hadn't been for seeing him on the podcast!

Caught up! Also love the pictures of the fireworks/castle/ EWP going on all at once. DH and I checked out Trader Sam's in January when we stayed at the Poly. We managed to get the last 2 seats at the bar- no tables left- about 10 minutes after they opened! It was interesting but we actually preferred Tambu Lounge. Maybe we should have sat outside but it was pretty darn cold while we were there :cold:

Holy moly, somehow I got completely behind on this TR! But I'm back & all caught up, right as you're getting to the Disney stuff, so yay! But for the rest of your trip to get there, it's so great that your travels and family time lined up with Emma's 2nd birthday (seriously, how did that happen already?!?) so you could all celebrate together!

I do agree with you about Bonnet Creek getting a little dated. It looks essentially the same as it did the first time we stayed there in '09. It's time for a refresh! But I still love the space, the resort, and the location. It's about the best you can do for not being on property in terms of proximity to the parks! We are looking forward to our return there in just under a month. It's been a year since our last stay there, and we are missing it!

We had planned on hitting Trader Sam's in July as well, but just never ended up over there. It looks like y'all racked up on souvenir glasses! I found that a/c issue to be all over in the parks. It's so hot outside that they freeze you out indoors, which is fine when you're passing through a gift shop or stopping in somewhere to look around, but it does get too cold when you're sitting in the same place for awhile like at a meal.

Looking forward to more!

Continuing to really enjoy your trip report!

I not seen the new Poly lobby in person, but love the pics I've seen. And I know I'm in the VAST minority, but I did not like the old "jungle thing" in the middle - always seemed very tangled and overgrown to me. The new lobby seems open, tranquil, but still very tropical feeling at the same time. Iove the pops of color, and the hanging globes.

Is that a Kevin John over your bar? Very nice. I bought one of his Tom Brady's for a friend who's a huge Patriots fan for a Bachelor's Degree completion gift, and she and her hubby LOVE it! He's such a nice guy too - personable, and very interactive with his fans. And I never would have even heard of him if it hadn't been for seeing him on the podcast!

Thanks Heidi! I think there was a lot of tradition to the Poly waterfeature and just seemed something a bit over the top and something you would only find at Disney. The new lobby is very open and relaxing - a lot of different areas to sit and talk and relax. The hanging lights are probably my favorite feature

It is a Kevin-John print I have on the bar - I juts couldn't pass it up. I saw some sketches he has started for a Jungle Cruise series that I am excited for. He does seem like such a nice guy - he was great when he was on the Big Fat Panda podcast as well

Caught up! Also love the pictures of the fireworks/castle/ EWP going on all at once. DH and I checked out Trader Sam's in January when we stayed at the Poly. We managed to get the last 2 seats at the bar- no tables left- about 10 minutes after they opened! It was interesting but we actually preferred Tambu Lounge. Maybe we should have sat outside but it was pretty darn cold while we were there :cold:

Thanks - it was a total accident/luck to get see Wishes with the EWP - but thought it made for some different pictures. I have heard right when it opens at 4 it is very crowded -at around 6 when we where there it wasn't too bad. Guess it is a consistent thing to be cold in there I guess :confused3

Holy moly, somehow I got completely behind on this TR! But I'm back & all caught up, right as you're getting to the Disney stuff, so yay! But for the rest of your trip to get there, it's so great that your travels and family time lined up with Emma's 2nd birthday (seriously, how did that happen already?!?) so you could all celebrate together!

I do agree with you about Bonnet Creek getting a little dated. It looks essentially the same as it did the first time we stayed there in '09. It's time for a refresh! But I still love the space, the resort, and the location. It's about the best you can do for not being on property in terms of proximity to the parks! We are looking forward to our return there in just under a month. It's been a year since our last stay there, and we are missing it!

We had planned on hitting Trader Sam's in July as well, but just never ended up over there. It looks like y'all racked up on souvenir glasses! I found that a/c issue to be all over in the parks. It's so hot outside that they freeze you out indoors, which is fine when you're passing through a gift shop or stopping in somewhere to look around, but it does get too cold when you're sitting in the same place for awhile like at a meal.

Looking forward to more!

yeah, took a little longer than I thought - but we are at WDW now! I know, hard to believe Emma is already two (and we just got the notice from church the date for Olivia's first communion - can't believe we already have to be thinking about that)

The space and location of Bonnet Creek is great ... I think I might have just noticed some of the dated elements as almost all of the hotels we stayed on on the way down or up have all been upgraded with USB ports and stuff, so just stood out that they didn't have them

I agree with you about the A/C in the parks and stuff - but I definitely think it was even colder in there than other restaurants and stuff. Maybe just because it is a smaller space with low lighting that the same level of AC makes it feel even colder

Hoping to get another update done tonight!

Part 20: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
Triple Dose of Toy Story

This was our first park day and based on expected crowd calendars and plans for the rest of the week, we were doing Disney's Hollywood Studios. We had the following FP+ and ADRs planned for the day:
- TSMM: 9:25
- Tower of Terror: 10:30
- Star Tours: 12:55

Lunch at Sci Fi at 11:30

One of the big conversations/debates before this trip was if Olivia and/or Peter wanted to do the Jedi Training - they went back and forth but ultimately they decided they didn't want to do it. I was a bit worried that once they saw other kids doing it they would have wished they did it, but it worked out ok in the end and they were happy to watch but didn't wish they were in it. The reason I mention this was it impacted how early we would want to get to the park - we still wanted to be early but figured it wasn't critical to be right at the front of the line if we didn't need to get them signed up. We got up, had some coffee and granola bars for an early breakfast and then got to the parking lot at around 8:40 with a 9am opening.

The first cast member we saw, in the lot gave a bit of pixie dust right away, giving the kids stickers. This would be a trend for the whole trip as it felt like we couldn't go 10 feet without a CM wanting to give the kids stickers. I guess the whole #ThanksShanghai hasn't impacted the sticker budget. Because we were parked so close we decided to not bother with folfing the stroller up to ride the tram and instead just walked to the entrance. We got to the entrance 8:51 - so not too bad and crowds weren't too bad.

01_stickers%20in%20parking%20lot.jpg
02_Entrance.jpg

As we walked down Hollywood Boulevard I noticed how there were so many CMs out and welcoming everyone and everyone just seemed so happy. I noticed this a lot this trip and maybe just because I hear people talk about how the Disney service isn't as good as before and CMs aren't so great anymore - but we had so many super positive experiences this trip. This was also our first time here since they removed the Sorcerer's Hat and I was interested to see how it would look. Well, the stage now blocks the Chinese Theater a bit but definitely feels more open there. In the picture you can also see the new booths set up for the projections for the Star Wars Galactic Spectacular show.

03_high%20five%20cast%20member.jpg
04_stage.jpg

While we had a FP for TSMM at 9:25 I thought we would head right there and see what the standby wait time was - well, it was only 10 minutes so we figured why not ride it twice. We saw the Green Army Men out so Peter went to say hi before we went in

05_Pixar%20Place%20and%20OMD.jpg
06_Peter%20with%20Army%20man.jpg

This was the first time in a while we rode this no via FP so we got to take in some of the details in the queue which are just amazing - love things like that the view master wheel has the images/scenes in it just like if it was real and that the back image has the characters on like they were colorforms or something. And of course the Etch-a Sketch showing games

07_view%20master.jpg
08_Background%20colorforms.jpg
Etch-a-sketch.gif

Have to get some picture with the opera glasses on - first the big cool ... and then little cool

09_Olivia%20glasses.jpg
10_Emma%20glasses.jpg

I rode with Peter and I think he got the hang of it but just didn't shoot as much as he could. While I really like this ride I am just not that good at it, oh well, still fun!

11_Phil%20and%20Peter%20scores.jpg

The line was so short that we still had time before our FP slot so we went across the way to meet Woody and Buzz. Speaking of great queues, I love this one and the photo spots ... the kids were better at acting in some more than others.

12_Kids%20with%20Stinky%20Pete.jpg
13_Olivia%20and%20Peter%20in%20claw%20machine.jpg

Before long it was our time to meet them - we do autographs on 4x6 index cards and then pair them with photo from the meet in a frame instead of a traditional autograph book. You can see that Emma has an index card as well, except she just gives it to Judi :rotfl2:

Woody%20and%20Buzz.gif

14_Family%20with%20Woody%20and%20Buzz.jpg

Then we went back across the street to use our FP for TSMM - this time I rode with Olivia - who is starting to bet pretty good at this! I still need to get better - didn't even do as good as the first time (though I did still have best in car)

15_Back%20onto%20TSMM.jpg
16_Selfie%20with%20Olivia.jpg
17_Phil%20and%20Olivias%20score.jpg

Coming up - visiting some Disney Jr friends!

Part 21: At Disney - Day 2: Disney's Hollywood Studios
A Storm Trooper, Doc, Sofia, and Jake

So in trying to figure out exactly what to do next and how to fit in what we wanted, it hit me that my planning wasn't so great in that we had a FP for Tower of Terror but that was on the other side of the park and then we would have to want all the way back to get to our lunch ADR at Sci-Fi. Fortunately I was able to change the time of our ToT FP to late afternoon using the MDE app - so we would do that when we came back from our mid-day break.

So with some time freed up we decided to do some meet and greets as that was something Emma would like as well and could do. First up was Sofia the First, however while in line she had to take a break and Peter was getting a little fidgidyt so I took him out of line to go check out the Storm Troopers that were patrolling the area. They were largely trying to keep the area clear for Captain Phasma's march that was to come in a bit so weren't really posing for pictures but I did manage to get one with Pete (though I think the Storm Trooper was largely just trying to re-direct Pete back to me :rotfl2:) We then stayed to watch the march, which was pretty cool - nothing big, but neat to see

01_Peter%20with%20Stormtrooper.jpg
March.gif

We then went to walk back to Judi and the girls who were still on line for meeting Sofia, but as, I guess she didn't have anyone with her, Doc McStuffins came out to Pete and led him back to her area and spent a bit of time. It was really cute

02_Doc%20coming%20to%20get%20Peter.jpg
Doc%20walking%20Peter.gif
Doc%20dancing%20with%20Peter.gif

03_Peter%20with%20Doc%201.jpg
04_Peter%20with%20Doc%202.jpg

We then did get back, just in time to see the girls meet Sophia - which they loved - including a really close up shot of Sofia with Emma.

05_girls%20with%20Sofia.jpg
06_Closeup%20of%20Sofia%20and%20Emma.jpg
07_girls%20with%20Sofia%202.jpg

Plus I got a picture of Judi taking a picture of the girls with Sofia:

08_Taking%20photo%20of%20Judi%20taking%20photo%20of%20Sofia%20with%20girls.jpg

Then to close out the Disney Jr. Trifecta we went and met Jake

09_Peter%20and%20Olivia%20go%20to%20Jake.jpg
Jake%20with%20Olivia%20and%20Peter.gif
10_Family%20with%20Jake.jpg

Up next - some of us get to watch Frozen Ever After ... and some don't - but that proves to be a good thing

TTFN

Last edited:
Looks like a great day at DHS so far!

I have only done TSMM once via standby and we waited 55 minutes. It was the first time we ever rode it and have FP'd it ever since.

Great photos with buzz and woody. That is one of my favorite meets from one of my favorite movies.

I haven't experienced the march yet since that started after I was at WDW but it does look like a nice little thing they do.

Your kids looked like they loved the Disney junior meets! My sister who is now 10 is past the Disney Junior phase but still likes meeting those characters.

Great start to the day!

Really awesome getting to do TSMM standby with a short wait. Great pic with Buzz & Woody!

That is so cute that Doc spent time with Peter! Lots of great pics with the Disney Jr characters!

Very productive day at Studios!! I suppose you can really do a lot of meet & greets if you get there early enough and aren't running for RnR/TOT!

I haven't ever ridden TSMM standby, so I've missed most of the cool queue. Maybe on our next trip we'll be there early enough.

I love Buzz and Woody. They're actually one of my favorite meets. I guess Emma wanted Judi's autograph!

How sweet of Doc McStuffins to spend some time with Peter. My granddaughter would be in heaven to have a meet like that!

We have an adr at Sci-Fi for our January trip, so I'm looking forward to your review. We haven't eaten there in about fifteen years.

Love all the pics with all the kids and the characters, they are all SO cute. And LOVE the pic of Peter hugging Doc McStuffins (or Dr. FeelGood, as Pete would say). :rotfl2:

So true about all of the stickers! I keep finding them in pockets of bags where the kids stashed them from this trip. Also agree about the ultra friendly CMs. Mind you, I've only had a few WDW CMs that have stood out as anything substandard, but people were super bubbly this time.

Great pics with the Disney Jr./Playhouse Disney characters! Looks like the kids loved this :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter