3 cars but a 2 car garage... storm coming!

descovy

DIS Veteran
A storm is coming tonight with hail expected. I have 3 cars but a 2 car garage.

Which car would you leave outside in the storm?

*2013 minivan (mine) , worth $10k but liability only insurance. Dings and scratches from teaching 3 teens how to drive.

*2017 Honda Accord (husbands)... full coverage with a $500 deductible. Worth $20k. And by far the prettiest car we own 😍 Teens aren’t allowed in the drivers seat.

*2007 Pontiac (the kids car) worth $4k, but liability only insurance. Faded paint, dinged. Driven “hard” by said teenagers.

I’m thinking bring in my minivan and the old Pontiac because they only have liability insurance. And leaving my husbands nice car outside because it has full coverage.

Husband thinks I’m nuts. And while a Honda Accord is nothing fancy. It’s the nicest car he/we ever owned and he likes it a lot.

So can you help me decide which car gets hailed on tonight???

Husband's right. Pontiac. Put a couple of blankets (or better yet, bubble wrap) over the windows, topped by a tarp, and tie down the tarp REALLY well (use duct tape if you have to; the paint is already a mess, right?) Dings are not so much the issue, but you don't want to have to replace glass.

the pontiac - and even if the other ones were out, I'd never get them fixed if there was damage. Wear and tear. I even bought a $45k brand new car that had hail damage from the night before I bought it. They gave me $700 off the price for me have it fixed. Never got it fix.

Back in the 80's or so, my dad would be able to get a Lincoln Town Car, a Monte Carlo and an Accord in our 2.5 car garage. He'd only do this when the weather was going be 30 below zero (we used to get those cold days alot more than we do now). He'd crawl through the cars, through the windows, he LOVED that challenge. :)

Your husband is right. Keep the kids car outside with a moving blanket on it to protect it as much as possible.
I could be wrong but I highly doubt the 2007 Pontiac is worth what you think it is. we just traded in our 2007 Cadillac CTS with 120k a few months ago and it was only worth 3k.

let’s say you leave your nicest car out and it up gets damaged, Not only are you going to have to cough up the $500 deductible, your rates will most likely go up too
Whatever you decide, I hope none of your cars or property gets any damage. Good luck!,

the Pontiac, definitely the Pontiac - and with notice - there's gotta be a parking garage you could find to put it in, but even if its just the drive for sure the Pontiac

Do you really want to possibly raise your insurance premiums and go through the hassle of being a car down while the nice car gets repaired?

My dd has a 2007 Pontiac, and if there was a time when we had such a dilemma it would absolutely be her car out in the driveway! In fact it has been, many times. Before my son moved out a year and a half ago, her car was always the one outside, no matter the weather.

EVACUATE!
Seriously, what do the kids have going on between now and the expected storm? They should be able to road trip outside of the affected area. I like the parking garage idea too. The blanket thing won't work for hailstones big enough to do damage to your car. You could maybe build something out of plywood that you could protect the windows with though.

Definitely the Pontiac.

All I see is insurance prices going up if you fix the one with full coverage. And why potentially ruin the nicest car you have ever had?! I get why you first thought of that, but when you step back it isn't the best choice.

Cars can easily get totalled out due to hail damage and if you want to keep the car then you'd have to do a salvage title, etc.

I'd keep the pontiac in the driveway.

Pontiac no question needs to stay out. However, I find it hard to believe a 2007 Pontiac is worth much more than $1,000 even in good condition .

Put all three in. We had a two car garage with three cars. My husband is a bit of a nut job (and a very good parker) and he wanted them all three in. Cars one and two pulled in front end forward and as far to the left and right as humanly possible. In the configuration, it was possible back in car three in between. Getting out of the car in the middle was a little difficult. Recommend the thinnest person in your household do the backing. But, it's completely possible!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter