3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb!-update 3-9x2

stacy~**

DIS Veteran
Yay! One month later and I am ready to relive our trip here on the Dis!
So I typed up all the Disney intros, bios, stats, etc....then I decided to scrap them. Because really it is almost easier to chose our least favorite things when it comes to Disney since we all really love it all, right? So here is a super brief family summary so we can get on with the show!!

First up...me! Stacy: your host and Disney leader for our family! (Sorry I love the ... when typing...)

Next: Aaron: Financial contributor to my obsession (secretly likes Disney trips more than he will admit)!

Next: Olivia: Recent high school graduate, also Disney obsessed.

Finally: Lucy: brand new 4th grader(as in today!!!). Big complainer but FINALLY, MAYBE warming up to Disney. Really...what kinda kid is she?

(I need not introduce the other fine ladies in the pic, right?)

4 WDW family trips since 2006 (I have been on 2 side trips with each girl once. One of them a week long trip and Disney wedding, the other a 1 day trip to MK but that child isn't bitter, ok, she is).
2 DL family trips since 2007.
All of us girls are vegetarian (a few exceptions with seafood for Lucy) and Aaron doesnt eat red meat. (Why do you care? WELL&I hope to document our vegetarian favorites for other veggies).

This trip was to be our last for a long time" trip to DL...but ended up as a we need to get back here every few years trip.
My PTR is here:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3056720 if you cant get enough of us. Otherwise...sit back and (everyones favorite) travel day up next!

Friday, July 12th-Travel Day
We did the typical morning shuffle and were out the door around our target time of 10:15am. Our flight was scheduled to depart at 11:45am out of Columbus, Ohio.

After parking, checking bags, etc. we grabbed a few snacks for the “ride” and boarded our lovely aircraft for our 4 hour flight to Phoenix (I think it was 4 hours…still confused about the time zone stuff).

We did the usual to amuse ourselves…Ipads, Ipods, Iphones, even an old school nap or two! (and silly selfies...I guess).

We had a few hour layover and ended up at La Grande Orange for some snacks/lunch. This was very close to my favorite snack of all vacation. The Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookie.
Really, super amazing. I got the “mini” cookie but probably won’t be as restrained on my way home.

Olivia got chips and a nameless cookie, Lucy got Nutella gelato (that she enjoyed a lot) and Aaron got a turkey sandwich (this will become a trend) that was just eh and then a Carmel latte.

As we were snacking and charging above listed time wasters….there were a few maintence/blue collar type workers sitting at the opposite end of our table. I happened to be “more in tune with their conversation” than the rest of my family. Well I was DYING. They discussed not only the top 10 super foods but also the Golden Globe awards (while eating salads). This would SO not happen in Ohio. I was sold on the west coast life from this point on. Those guys were rock starts in my book.

There were several dust storm warnings (something we don’t see in Ohio) but our flight to Burbank boarded around 3:00pm, just a few minutes later than scheduled.

Friday, July 12th-Travel Day Part 2-We make it to Cali!

Our flight to Burbank was pretty uneventful. Actually SO uneventful that we didn’t even get drink service. My child can’t be the only one that pines over the card that lists the drinks and is THRILLED when you allow her a special treat of Dr. Pepper or Coke. BUT unfortunately that can backfire when they don’t offer drink service. This is what that looks like (a cranky kid on vacation in California….oh what a mean mother I am):

We picked up our rental car (after listening to the rude upgrade attempts) and we were on our way.

Of course it was 5:00 on a Friday night! But really I felt like all things considered the traffic was good and hey, we just started our vacation!!

We were spending our first 4 nights in Los Feliz at the Los Feliz Lodge. Even thought the trip advisor reviews are great, I was hesitant for 2 reasons: no pool and both girls would have to sleep on air mattresses. Well thankfully we gave it a go and the place was SO cute and very centrally located to much of what we did. It was very calming to be in a neighborhood after all the hustle and bustle of the city. And having the exta space (even though there was only one bed) was really great! If anyone is considering this as a spot to stay I would be happy to answer any questions I can. Here are a few pictures!!

Our view

Yoga?

Finally us outside the front door

Finally (since it was REALLY late east coast time) we needed food! I already had this planned. We went about 5 miles to Souplantation (or Sweet Tomatoes as it is called in Florida….where we discovered this restaurant). Unlimited salad buffet pretty much has my name written all over it. We need this in Ohio!

It was super yummy and easy.
After dinner we grabbed a few groceries for the morning and winded down for the end of our travel day! Yay! Can't believe this trip I have been planning for 8+ months is here! I was the last one to sleep that evening around 10:30.

Looks great! I supposed you don't get many dust storm warnings in Ohio! We get them about weekly in the summertime here in AZ. ... and my DD11 would be right with yours jonesing for the drink menu and the hit of caffeine we rarely allow!

I'm glad someone besides me takes vacation photos where everyone isn't perfectly happy. Looking back, some of the cutest pictures of DS are him hiding, scowling ... I even have one of DH lecturing him while the other kids stand posed for a picture in DL! Someday they will make good blackmail!

Looking forward to seeing more of your family enjoying DL!

PHXscuba

I'm enjoying your report. :)

Thank you, Cyette! Happy to know that I am not just talking to myself! :)

Umm TOTALLY off topic but is that a Bruno Mars braclet your oldest has on!!??

Why, yes it is! You have a good eye (or one yourself?). She had seen him in concert just a few days before we left. I think she ditches it pretty quickly in the trip because of the tan line it was creating!

Can't wait to hear more :)

Thank you!! Hoping to get another update in today before the weekend hits!

Cant wait to read the rest !!:cool1:

Glad you are reading along! I am going to try and keep the updates coming so keep checking back!

Nice pictures! Can't wait to see more!

Thanks! I definately don't have the camera skills (or equipment) that many disboards members have but I do my best!

Looks great! I supposed you don't get many dust storm warnings in Ohio! We get them about weekly in the summertime here in AZ. ... and my DD11 would be right with yours jonesing for the drink menu and the hit of caffeine we rarely allow!

I'm glad someone besides me takes vacation photos where everyone isn't perfectly happy. Looking back, some of the cutest pictures of DS are him hiding, scowling ... I even have one of DH lecturing him while the other kids stand posed for a picture in DL! Someday they will make good blackmail!

Looking forward to seeing more of your family enjoying DL!

PHXscuba

LOL. So the dust storm isn't some uncommon freak incident set to ruin my vacation. Guess I was worried for nothing! Now you tell me....

Yup, the pop incident had me concidering a vending machine purchase for her! Oh and believe me...there are many other crabby pictures to be had. If someone doesn't smile that's not my fault. I have a great one from our first trip to WDW when she was 2 y/o laying on the ground at Hollywood Studios. Thankfully it doesn't get THAT bad anymore!!

Thanks for reading along!!

Haha I do have one my self....I saw him last week in St. Louis and I am a little obsessed with him also :rotfl:

Saturday, July 13-Day 2-Part 1 Griffith Observatory
We woke up around 7:30 and took our time getting ready (actually we do this most days…we aren’t a family that can be up and out of the house in 45 minutes!). We even took some time to enjoy our coffee on the porch.

We were on the road by 9:30ish for the few minute drive to Griffith Park. Honestly from where we were staying I think you could have walked to the entrance of the park but since we were heading all the way up to the Observatory (and because my kiddos would have freaked out) we drove.
Parking was a bit tricky but once we decided to give up on finding a spot and just off roaded it, we were parked in no time. Then we did the thing that EVERYONE does….taking a million pictures trying to capture *the* Hollywood sign shot.

Testing out my zoom

The entrance area to the Observatory:

We aren’t huge astronomy people but the Observatory was nice (and SO awesome that is was free!).

The Einstein photo shoot was a good time.

Who doesn’t want to know what they weigh on every planet? (yup, every planet had a scale....)

A few more sign pictures from a different area.

Looks like she missed the sign in this one....

Around 11:45 we decided to head on to our next stop….lunch in Santa Monica!

Decided to stop lurking and post after your tips to my question on the budget board! Enjoying it so far, cannot wait to hear about the rest!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter