30 weeks pregnant at WDW! Help!

mocha22

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

My husband and almost 5 year old daughter and I are going to WDW next Monday. I will be 30 weeks pregnant, and honestly have a hard time walking around as it is, so I'm dreading the trip. Any tips and tricks to make the trip more manageable, keep the pain at a minimum and have the most fun?

This is our first trip there so I don't want to ruin it with all the pregnancy symptoms. I get sciatica from walking around too much anyway so any tips on what shoes are the best to wear? Anything to help with the back pain and pressure felt with pregnancy?

Thank you!

Hmmm, I've never done Disney pregnant but I would plan on packing your patience for you and your DD. Just take all the breaks you need and also try to sit back and relax and let your DH do the rides/attractions that you can't with her and let you take a water break. As far as shoes, don't do flip flops. I think you need a tennis shoe/sneaker that you know already is comfortable, don't get anything new for Disney to wear, go with what you know. Just stay hydrated, keep snacks on hand and take it easy. I would definitely plan a midday resort break for you and your DD.

Have fun!!

I did Disney pregnant---about 25 weeks. I didn't have sciatica like I did with my first pregnancy at the time. I would recommend planning on taking it slower for your own health---plan late starts some mornings or midday breaks for others. There isn't much that your DD will be able to ride that you can't. Make sure that you stay hydrated. I didn't want to have to carry a water bottle through the parks---so I drank a ton of water in the morning, took a mid-morning break and then between lunch, a midday break and dinner I was able to consume more water than I needed. Keep in mind that you can even walk up to any QS counter and ask for a water for free. Make it a point to do that if the weather is warm/hot so that you stay hydrated. Not sure where you are staying--but I only had so much in the way of maternity clothes, so I brought some laundry detergent travel packets from target with me and then did laundry halfway through at the resort. This was also a huge relief when we got home, not having as much of my son's and husbands clothes to have to wash too.

Don't be afraid to rent a wheelchair and be sure to drink plenty of water. If you had asked months ago, I would have suggested postponing the trip. Now you should focus on going slow, enjoying what you can and staying safe. Don't push yourself and take plenty of breaks. You can always go back when your kids are older and you are not pregnant.

We did Disneyland when I was hugely pregnant and it ended up being way less of a big deal than people had made it out to be. Granted I was working full time and chasing after a baby and a young toddler at the time, so probably wasn’t that sedentary in general, but I felt like the walking was not a big deal at all.

I think the only thing that would make me a bit apprehensive is if it was forecasted to be crazy hot, or if you are someone who swells easily. I’d just remember to drink a TON of water and hope for cooler weather.

In terms of rides at Disneyland, I did Pirates a few times (relaxing and cool!), Haunted Mansion was another that gives a little breather. Our kids had so much fun that I was really glad to be there, pregnant and all....

You will probably have to just stake out a spot on a shaded bench and let your husband and DD go on rides. Do what you can to control the sciatic pain. Stretching maybe bring a heating pad with you to use at night. There will still be many rides that you can all do together. Hopefully you have planned some good TS meals as those can be a great entertaining break for the whole family. Plan for mid day breaks to get out of the heat and take a nap, drink TONS of water -- the last thing you need is to get dehydrated. Hopefully at 30 weeks you shouldn't be in to bad of shape. If you can do some walking at home now to prepare yourself. If you have been active your whole pregnancy then taking it slow at WDW should be doable. Is your DR ok with you traveling at this stage? It is always advised that you run it by your MD as they may see concerns if you are going to be flying or sitting in a car for a long drive.

I was going to suggest you rent s motorized scooter. Disney costs a fortune but some of the outside companies are very reasonable and will deliver/pickup the scooter at your hotel.

Yeah i would suggest a wheelchair as well. Particularly for the first couple of days until you know how you're feeling. Obviously seriously keep up on the water, but hopefully there shouldn't be too much weighing on you yet since the baby isn't as big as it will be in a couple of months. We have a 6 month old so i remember how uncomfortable those last few weeks can be, but hopefully you're still feeling pretty ok. As long as you keep the back pain under control with a wheelchair and as many sit down, slow rides as possible, you should be ok. I would also agree with the heating pad advice, though dont crank it up too high as thats not recommended. Also, when i was having alot of back pain with the baby, the OB gave me a paper with a set of back stretches and exercises i could do to keep those muscles stretched out and relaxed. Maybe ask if they have something like that for you to do in the morning and before bed.

I would suggest checking your insurance to be sure that it will pay for an out of network hospital in case things don’t go as planned. I delivered our son two weeks before our planned vacation.i was not as far along as you and things had gone 100% perfect up until then. Bills were crazy and I can’t imagine if our insurance would not have paid because we were out of network.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter