30 Years & Counting HHN 2021, XXX Let’s Stick This One!

@tony67 When did you go? I heard from some previous SAs on a podcast that a lot of people usually quit after the 1st or 2nd week. They just get in over their heads and don't have realistic expectations.

@Linkura There is a national shortage of scare actors. Really. Most of the haunts in Southern California are experiencing the same issues. There's a huge labor shortage all the way around. I don't know how they can overcome some of that. Also, depending upon when you went in 2019, see my comment above. I had a great experience in 2019 and rarely saw missing SAs. I went the first weekend of October. The only times I have seen a lot of missing SAs is right at opening in the first couple of houses if they are not the really popular houses.
I went the last week in October in 2018 and a week earlier than that in 2019 (to have my AP valid for both trips).

Good luck with that - but I think those are two very different crowds - be interested to hear how it is

Not really. I know @OhioStateBuckeye and friends could easily be going to either. I also know of a ton of podcasters that would go to either, out of enjoyment, not just for work. I think themed entertainment fans are themed entertainment fans. I easily could be at either of these. I love HHN and the Enchanted Tiki Room is my favorite attraction :confused3

Yeah the private RiP tour was so fun!!
Definitely agree timing is everything on walkthroughs-it took until my very last run of Hill House that I finally got the breaking window/storm full effect. And saw a couple ghosts in background I hadn't noticed before (tour guide said to look for them). First walkthrough of Wicked growth I missed most scares and wondered why it seemed to be everyone's favorite-after multiple run throughs-its a fun house.
Yeah - in talking to one of them its a bit more than usually this year - and on top of that they had trouble getting people in the first place as you pointed out.
Well they were a bit picky -speaking as a mom of a kid who applied when applications opened to public, who got the call confirming status and availability, then crickets for weeks...until the NLIC came. Applicants were there but maybe not enough to fit profiles?

How was last night? Hopefully, you were correct and the crowds were less.

It wasn't dead (hahahaha) but it wasn't really crowded either.

We arrived around 8:30. Went right to Case Files and only waited 10 minutes (25 posted).

Headed to the tribute store and got a tshirt, then our friend arrived and we grabbed some of the HHN food at Monster's.

Between the 3 of us we had the flatbread, the potato pancake and the Bride soft serve ice cream.

We liked the flatbread, the potato pancake was comically small. I wouldn't get it just because there's no way it's near worth what we paid. I really liked the ice cream as well, it usually comes in a cone but I'm an epically messy eater so I asked for a dish.

Next up we did Tooth Fairy which was about a 20 minute wait (posted 35).

Then we did Bride because it's easy to see how long the line is, we waited about 15 minutes.

We headed to the back of the park. Got some pizza fries.

We wanted to do the 11 pm arena show but it was full, we walked up 5 minutes before it started. So instead we went to Scarey and it was a 25 minute wait.

After Scarey we did Puppet Theater and it was maybe 20 minutes.

Our friend headed out and we did Beetluejuice which was around 20 as well. By this time it was a bit after 1, we could see Hill House was pretty short but we were getting tired and didn't want to get caught in event close traffic so we headed out.

All of the houses were listed as at least 15 minutes longer than the line took. I wonder if those times are just hard for them to predict because express passes can be pretty unpredictable. Obviously the standby moves a lot faster the less express comes by.

Overall it was a very pleasant and fun night.

How are the crowds on actual Halloween? Thinking about going but We're afraid that it is probably the most crowded night of the entire event. Anyone have experience from years past?

Based on their prices for the ticket, the EP, and the RIP tour, Universal doesn't think Halloween will be all that busy. At least, not as busy as the Sun prior or the Sat/Fri before.

How are the crowds on actual Halloween? Thinking about going but We're afraid that it is probably the most crowded night of the entire event. Anyone have experience from years past?
As I understand it Halloween is not as busy as locals are enjoying Halloween at home, parties etc.. there is also a popular Orlando Halloween event that many of the locals also attend as I recall in the past.

Obviously no idea this year but it is historically lower from what I have heard and what the PP said.

May also be a slow time for visitors - IDK - I know the last several years I could get flights on Jet Blue to Orlando for 31 each way - and that was pre covid

As I understand it Halloween is not as busy as locals are enjoying Halloween at home, parties etc.. there is also a popular Orlando Halloween event that many of the locals also attend as I recall in the past.

Obviously no idea this year but it is historically lower from what I have heard and what the PP said.

May also be a slow time for visitors - IDK - I know the last several years I could get flights on Jet Blue to Orlando for 31 each way - and that was pre covid
Yeah pretty much. We are doing other things as you said so it's really not that busy.

Leaving on a jet plane, I’ll be back again lol

will give my thots on houses after I digest them a bit.
Haunting/hill house my fav.

crowds last Thursday busy told Friday by guide a sell out. Sunday not very crowded.

do know that they wound up opening Thursday to TMs, believe Friday & Sunday also
Into chainsaw.
Are u ok?
:rotfl2:
For those who have been this year, which houses did you find to be a little less frightening. Taking my kiddo, beetlejuice is a must! Wondering which other ones might not be as intense for a first timer to start with? Appreciate any insight, thanks!
Most of them were pretty mild with some good jump scares. TX chainsaw & of all things, the tooth fairy had their share of gore
Does the event ever sell out? debating buying tickets now or waiting?
Yep. Fig Columbus Day weekend and remainder going forward with Increased TMs in attendance
Yes there’s Comcast WiFi, and it’s generally good to excellent depending on the location. Bring a backup phone charger though since your battery will drain as you hop across all the WiFi hotspots in the park.
I generally won’t use unsecured WiFi. couldn’t get a decent signal with ATT during HHN near Lombards. Had to practically hang off the pier :boat:

Do they ever sell the AP shirt online? We are out of state passholders and already went to HHN. I meant to pick up a shirt for my husband and totally spaced. They are $60 on eBay, and I’m definitely not paying that!

Is all of Simpsons Fast Food Boulevard open during Stay & Scream, or just the Taco truck & Moes/Duff?

Did our first HHN on Thursday night! We all loved it and probably will make it an annual tradition!

I walking around and saw a lady with blue hair. I ask her, are you @soniam from Disboards? And she was! Always nice to meet people from here. My teens were like, “what did mom just do?” (Way too easy to embarrass them)!

We haven’t been to UO in years, so I was having a hard time picturing the Stay and Scream. The one in Central Park, where you can line up for Beetlejuice and Hill House is a bit confusing. You enter through Central Park, but then you are taken across the walkway to line up around the Animal Actors area.

We entered around 4:55 and lined up for Hill House a little after that. They walked us back to the Hill House queue before the park opened to the public. We were through Hill House by the time it opened for HHN at 6:30. We did not use the Express Pass for this first house, thinking we would return later and re-walk through it. This was not a good choice. We did not use the EP for Hill House at all. We did 9/10 houses total. Not sure how people do each house more than once. Even with EP, there is time waiting. Plus, there’s the show and the scare zones and the snacks. And the rides at night! Soooo much to do.

We enjoyed the houses a lot. The scare actors made it fun. We didn’t find it scary. You can see where the scare actors jump out to the people in front of you. A few times we were surprised, but not too many times. It would be great if there was a bit of space between parties, but I understand why there isn’t-people would be waiting much longer.

Lines were super well-organized.

we’re still here and possibly going back to HHN tomorrow, but without Express Pass.

Looks like they increased EP prices again.

Really making those RIP tours a bargain.

Especially joining a private RIP tour - especially on Sat 10/30... PM if interested!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter