30th anniversary celebration combined w/1st trip to DL, where would YOU stay?

welovedis

Disneyland here we come!
The title says it really. Hubby and I will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in very early May and decided we'd like to visit DL. It will be my first trip there, he visited once for a day over 30 years ago.
We enjoy hotels with some space to relax and a nice pool. Bar is not important but nearby restaurants (either in hotel or very close) would be preferable.

Since I can't quite picture it in my head like I can WDW, I'd appreciate suggestions and viewpoints from those who have been and know the area. Where would you stay? How many days/nights would be good to spend for a leisurely trip? We have about two weeks total and wondered if 4 or 5 nights in DL would cover it before we move on down the coast?
Appreciate the help!

How much is budget an issue? For something special like that I would stay at the Grand Californian. It is on property with a private entrance into the Disney California Adventure park and easy access to Downtown Disney (where multiple restaurants are) and the Disneyland entrance. The pool is lovely and there a few restaurants in the hotel as well.

Disneyland Hotel might also be a nice, slightly cheaper option.

If you are wanting off-site, there are tons and tons of place in the vicinity. So you'll want to think about whether you want a close walk to the parks vs. other factors. There are several hotel/motels right across from the Harbor Blvd entrance. Many of these are 1- or 2-star motels, but I'm sure folks can comment on some of the nicer properties that are close by.

If budget isn't an issue, I recommend the Grand Californian for the reasons mentioned above. The theme park entrance is extremely convenient, plus it has an entrance to Downtown Disney and all the restaurants there. We really enjoyed our stay there this past May. When I got too tired to walk, I'd head back to our hotel room in the afternoon and my husband and our son would hop over from one park to the other. I recommend at least 4 nights at DL (you should be able to experience most rides and attractions with a 3 day park hopper). Happy Anniversary! What a great way to celebrate your 30th :)

Thanks, we wondered if the convenience is worth the trade off in price. For this trip we planned to splurge (we had saved for an international trip but not comfortable with traveling that far right now) so we can afford the Grand Californian.
Anyone stayed at an off-site location they thought was really comfortable and relaxing?

Thanks, we wondered if the convenience is worth the trade off in price. For this trip we planned to splurge (we had saved for an international trip but not comfortable with traveling that far right now) so we can afford the Grand Californian.
Anyone stayed at an off-site location they thought was really comfortable and relaxing?

My favorite off-site property is the Courtyard theme park entrance. Across the street from Disneyland, 5-10 min walk. A little further for Downtown Disney but there are restaurants (and fast food restaurants) off Harbor Blvd, near the hotel.

Grand Californian for sure!! We always stay there, even before we bought DVC points
Thank you, I didn't realize it was a DVC resort! It goes to show how much addt'l research I need to do. Now off to ponder renting points.............

I would stay in the Disneyland hotel, in the Fairytale suite! I love DLH. We're staying there in January and one of the things we're celebrating is our 25th anniversary. We'll be with our kids so we'll be in a regular 2 bedroom suite, but I hope to get back for our 30th and stay in the Fairytale.

If you don't want to stay on property, the Courtyard Marriott gets excellent reviews and is about a 10 minute walk.

I think a 5 day hopper is a good idea because you can take your time and not have to rush. Plus that gives you more days for dinner reservations if there are restaurants you want to try :)

I agree with the others on the Grand Californian with Disneyland Hotel being runner up.

If you're thinking about renting points I'm not sure how feasible it is at VGC since there's so little inventory and such high demand. If your travel date is within 11 months it's probably not going to happen. Most people own points to use it. Just throwing that out there to manage expectations.

I agree with the others on the Grand Californian with Disneyland Hotel being runner up.

If you're thinking about renting points I'm not sure how feasible it is at VGC since there's so little inventory and such high demand. If your travel date is within 11 months it's probably not going to happen. Most people own points to use it. Just throwing that out there to manage expectations.
Agree--if you are planning to travel around the time of your anniversary in early May, it would be highly unlikely that you could rent points for VGC--availability is virtually nil at 7 months and 1 minute. Since you're looking to splurge, you could consider club level at Grand Cali!

Agree--if you are planning to travel around the time of your anniversary in early May, it would be highly unlikely that you could rent points for VGC--availability is virtually nil at 7 months and 1 minute. Since you're looking to splurge, you could consider club level at Grand Cali!
Thanks to both you and RedVines2001: I did check with a DVC owner and our anniversary week is not available but the week after is. We would like to travel for the actually anniversary so that may not be an option with this late planning time.
I read a number of reviews regarding club level and was not sure it would be worth the extra cost as they were mixed? We wouldn't partake of any open food areas as we both have cancer and though we are doing well that is something we'd avoid. Is it a nice lounge area to relax in?

Thanks to both you and RedVines2001: I did check with a DVC owner and our anniversary week is not available but the week after is. We would like to travel for the actually anniversary so that may not be an option with this late planning time.
I read a number of reviews regarding club level and was not sure it would be worth the extra cost as they were mixed? We wouldn't partake of any open food areas as we both have cancer and though we are doing well that is something we'd avoid. Is it a nice lounge area to relax in?
For me personally, club level would not be worth it if I was not taking advantage of the food. For other splurge options, though, there are very nice suites available at Grand Cali, and there is also lovely dining and the newly opened spa. You all could also consider a cabana if you wanted to add in a pool day!

I would say evaluate how much time you’d actually spend in a hotel at Disneyland. May can be pool weather or not. (May grey). There are so many true 5 star hotels in Southern California you may want to splurge on those instead. My DD and I stay at the GCH when we don’t want to drive back to LA where she lives and you can’t beat the location. I would say it’s a 3.5 star with the rooms in need of a major refresh. We are staying there this Sunday again. Location, location, location.

3 days at the parks should be plenty. Unlike DW there are only 2 parks and you can walk between them. No time wasted on buses, boats, etc.

happy Anniversary and enjoy your planning.

I echo this! We are DVC owners at the Grand and availability for renting will be minimal.

We also tried out the Club Level this month and WOW! We loved it and it definitely was even a cut above staying on our DVC points.

For a huge anniversary treat yourselves to the best, you’ll have an amazing time!

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. We ended up booking GCH for 4 nights Club level so we can chill out in the lounge and grab a cold water or snack when we like. Now I just need to head to the other board to figure out San Diego and LA hotels for the rest of the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter