30th anniversary celebration combined w/1st trip to DL, where would YOU stay?

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions. We ended up booking GCH for 4 nights Club level so we can chill out in the lounge and grab a cold water or snack when we like. Now I just need to head to the other board to figure out San Diego and LA hotels for the rest of the trip!
I know the wrong forum but the Coronado Marriott is an excellent choice for SD

I have stayed in many LA hotels. What are you looking for there and what area ?
Hi-We decided to only focus on LA so that means 7 nights there. Cleanliness is a big factor for us and we'd like to be sort of central to the places we'd like to visit. We'd like a reasonably spacious room or a comfortable lounge areas in the hotel so we can sit and read a book if one of us has to lie down for a nap or something. We are in our 50s, not huge foodies as cancer treatments have left us both with food issues and neither of us cares if the place has a bar or not, would like a pool. We want this to be a relaxing trip, not run around like crazy so we have some idea of what we'd like to see but are planning to be flexible.
Places we plan to visit:
Getty Center, Universal Studios, LA county Fire Museum (home of Emergency!'s Squad 51), Peterson Auto Museum, Griffith Observatory, Stahl House, Oschin Air & Space, and maybe a bit of coastal driving/beach day.

Places we plan to visit:
Getty Center, Universal Studios, LA county Fire Museum (home of Emergency!'s Squad 51), Peterson Auto Museum, Griffith Observatory, Stahl House, Oschin Air & Space, and maybe a bit of coastal driving/beach day.

Sounds like a great trip (both the Disneyland and LA parts)! I have not yet stayed at Grand Californian, but I have heard it is amazing and hope to stay there one day. Four nights in Disneyland is perfect for a slow-paced relaxing trip.

For the LA part of your trip: If one of you is interested in Greek or Roman history, I highly reccomend the Getty Villa (it's in Malibu but not too far from LA to visit, depending on your schedule). If either one of you is really into movie history, consider the Warner Brothers Studio Tour (it takes you behind the scenes and you get to see where many tv shows/movies were filmed. It is the most expensive of the studio tours, but totally worth it). The TCL forecourt is amazing (it's where stars have thier handprints, foodprints, and some pawprints and hoofprints). There are costumed characters nearby pan handling, but you can ignore them. They are annoying, but totally harmless (at least it was when I was there about 5 years ago).

Sounds like a great trip (both the Disneyland and LA parts)! I have not yet stayed at Grand Californian, but I have heard it is amazing and hope to stay there one day. Four nights in Disneyland is perfect for a slow-paced relaxing trip.

For the LA part of your trip: If one of you is interested in Greek or Roman history, I highly reccomend the Getty Villa (it's in Malibu but not too far from LA to visit, depending on your schedule). If either one of you is really into movie history, consider the Warner Brothers Studio Tour (it takes you behind the scenes and you get to see where many tv shows/movies were filmed. It is the most expensive of the studio tours, but totally worth it). The TCL forecourt is amazing (it's where stars have thier handprints, foodprints, and some pawprints and hoofprints). There are costumed characters nearby pan handling, but you can ignore them. They are annoying, but totally harmless (at least it was when I was there about 5 years ago).
Great, thanks for the tip. I have the Getty Villa on my list of "read about this place" so I appreciate the info. And we will take a look at the studio tour as well. The pan handling does not bother us in the least, but I know it can be uncomfortable for some so I thank you for the heads up on that. Reading and planning will be the way to get me through this winter weather upon us. If only we could see Osborne lights again :(

Two notes
DD (26) and I did the GCH club level for one night on 11/28. Really enjoyed the fireworks from the lounge balcony. The rooms were in much better condition then our previous non club stay in the summer. It was fun. For us the time together was priceless.

The London is a very nice hotel in West Hollywood (WEHO). It is an all suite hotel. Lovely roof pool, fun area and central. Some what hip but no too over the top.
I really like the classic Beverly Wishire. Have only stayed in suites there so don’t know the standard room size. It is in the heart of Beverly Hills at Rodeo drive. It is a four seasons. There is also a Four Seasons Beverly Hills which is a bit more secluded and some say is nicer. The other hotels I l like are in Santa Monica and more beach oriented.
LA traffic is everything it’s reputation implies. It can take 45 minutes to go 8 miles sometimes. You’re on holiday, resolve yourselves that traffic will be part of the plan and you’ll do fine. We live part time in LA and are retired so we just let the Lyft and Uber drivers do their thing and we relax in the car. Feel free to DM me if you want more suggestions or have questions about areas etc.

i would also recommend doing the VIP tour at Universal. It costs around $350. You get the backlot tour which we found very interesting, lunch which was decent, and front of the line passes. Something to consider if you want to combine studio tour and amusement park.
FYI- LA irequires vax cards or negative Covid test for most indoor activities from Universal to indoor dining. A photo on your phone works and who knows what the rules will be in the future just so you factor that in.
sounds like a wonderful trip. Jean

Last edited:

…one more. This is not central but the Ritz Carlton Marina Del Rey (MDR) has pretry rooms and their jr suites are very spacious. Nice pool. Can be very reasonable if you can get the LMU (Loyola Marymount University ) rate. MDR is a marina with nice waking and biking areas. It will be cooler temperature wise then the more inland hotels I mentioned above. About a mile from Venice and 20 minutes from LAX. Not in the heart of things so a bit more Drive time. Very pretty though. (I am a bit biased as that is where our condo is). It is definitely not as much to do there as WEHO or BH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter