$310 electric bill

82!?!?! Nope- no way am I going to be uncomfortable in my own home- at night I have mine set to 62 to sleep. In the winter I sleep with the windows open in my room to keep it cool in there.

96F yesterday, a bit lower today and the 84F thermostat temp setting with our ceiling fans on low kept house very comfortable. As I post the temp outside has cooled to 85F due to a brief shower and house thermostat is at 82F. Will be down to 79F thermostat in a couple of hours for overnight. DW will have her electric blanket on high (11) to warm the bed then down to (8) for the night.

Our gas and electric is on one bill. I just looked it up and the electric portion last month was $129. Last year was $169. However our overall is higher this year due to the increase in gas.

Are you sure it didn't say your usage was 113% of last year? Meaning up 13%?
oh....how I wish. hopefully this is not TMI. Maybe we have an electricity leak somewhere? (if I have revealed any personal info, please disregard) Is this pretty much what households use? Or just us?
1658597326844.png

Got our bill yesterday. $354 for a month of over 100 degree weather. Two a/c units set to 72. Not bad.

oh....how I wish. hopefully this is not TMI. Maybe we have an electricity leak somewhere? (if I have revealed any personal info, please disregard) Is this pretty much what households use? Or just us?
View attachment 687204
Did you go on vacation last June or something? Because your usage last June at 30kwh seems way lower than it should have been, compared to your other summer months.

Did you go on vacation last June or something? Because your usage last June at 30kwh seems way lower than it should have been, compared to your other summer months.
Alternatively, did you have guests in June? When my adult kids visit, the electricity bill goes up $100/week. Make sure to get the A/C serviced. It could be leaking coolant, causing it to work harder to cool.

Alternatively, did you have guests in June? When my adult kids visit, the electricity bill goes up $100/week. Make sure to get the A/C serviced. It could be leaking coolant, causing it to work harder to cool.
Probably not anything wrong. Their usage last July and August was the same as it was this last June. I might agree something may be broken if they NEVER used close to 60kwh previously.

Another thought is what was the weather like between summers?

In my area for the first time in 4-5 years we're hitting 100 degrees. We're used to heat index of 100-115 but it's been a while since we've hit actual 100 degrees and the last few years have been mostly mild. And it's been a good stretch of this heat in recent weeks/month.

Another thing is make sure there weren't any rate increases hitting at this time. We had a rate increase that went into effect April 1, 2022 for our particular utility company. And I'm probably going to forget in April 2023 that the reason our bills are up (and will stay that way for 2 years) is because of the February 2021 deep freeze where power was bought from the neighboring power grid (those customers will now get a decrease on their bill for 1 year).

View attachment 687204
That's a lot. I have a 4,500 square foot house, also Eversource, and we averaged 40 kWh per day the last month. $108 Supply / $168 Delivery.

We cool to about 76 during the day, 72 in the evenings, and converted the whole house to LED lighting about a year ago.

This is our average daily usage over the last month. 1900 sq ft house, family of 4, AC set to 75 day/67 night.

Screenshot_20220723-115131_Chrome.jpg

Probably not anything wrong. Their usage last July and August was the same as it was this last June. I might agree something may be broken if they NEVER used close to 60kwh previously.
60 kwh/day is A LOT. The A/C may have been leaking since last July.

@denisenh Unless you live in an area where it gets to 120 degrees or live in a 8000 sq ft house, I'd have someone look at the A/C system.

60 kwh/day is A LOT. The A/C may have been leaking since last July.

@denisenh Unless you live in an area where it gets to 120 degrees or live in a 8000 sq ft house, I'd have someone look at the A/C system.
Could also just be an inefficient AC and a house with poor insulation.

I agree, in AZ this could end up being like $1k+
I keep mine at 79 during the day and 74 at night. It’s comfortable. When I visit Florida I set the hotel thermostat at 65. I think it’s the dry vs humid thing.

My electric bill averages 300 to 450 May- Sept and less than 100 in the Winter. It’s my Gas bill that’s really shot up. It’s usually around 30 dollars in the summer and it’s been 65 this summer. My highest gas bill in January is usually around 100. I don’t think I’ll be turning on the heat at all this Winter. Our house is 2500 sf.

I keep my A/C around 77/78. Cost for the last month was $58.00 Moderate size apartment, but fortunately has others on top, both sides and back and doesn't get morning sun.

View attachment 687204

It’s hard to read, does it say your average daily temp in June was 66? I can’t imagine needing that much AC for a month with an average temp of 66. Did you put in a pool or hot tub? Bring someone’s old fridge or freezer for your garage? Are these all actual readings or were any of them estimated?

Edit: we have a 1700 sq foot 2 story. Its just my DH & me, but we’re retired & home all the time, with tv & cable on. I run the dishwasher pretty much every day, we have the AC set at 72 with the blower running all the time. I have a small 5 cubic ft chest freezer. I do at least 7 loads of laundry a week & my DD does 3 or 4 loads here too. The stove & dryer are gas, so just the electricity to run them, not heat them. We’re always charging a phone, iPad or something. Our average electric usage was 17 KWH per day & our average June temp was 66°. Pretty much exactly the same as last year, 17 KWH & temp 67°. Our bill was $72.

Last edited:
wow, that is a great price. If you were on SDGE it would easily be double that.
I know. We used to live in SD County. I far prefer the prices we get in OC via Southern California Edison. The utilities in SD are outrageous. The water is also ridiculous down there. Our water bill is under $70/month and gas is around $20.

Wow, all you guys posting about your kwh/day are making me feel awesome. Like I said upthread, our recent bill was in the 70s. We have a 1800 sq ft ranch. It is just the 2 of us, and no A/C, just an evaporative cooler and open windows. We used 10.1 kwh/day, down from 12.1 this past month vs. last year. DH Googled and the US average in 2017 was 28ish.

I’ll share a quick story. Maybe it might help someone. We were having trouble with our refrigerator being warm, so I called a repair person out. He fiddled around for just a few minutes, opening up the freezer, pulling out a box of something and tossing it on the counter, saying, “This box of popsicles (or whatever it was) was costing you a lot of money! How’s your electricity bill been?” 😳 Well it just so happened our electricity bill had been super high for a few months, too. Turned out the freezer door wasn’t shutting all the way because of the box, and that was causing the appliance to work overtime trying to keep everything cool (and failing). Taught me a lesson about making sure the doors are always closed tight and nothing is blocking the vents inside (like a loaf of bread or something that can really block it). When that happens, they don’t work right. Kids are also notorious for slamming the door shut and it popping back open a little bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter