I've always been a great guest. During FP- I would pull the hard-to-get fps (especially Peter Pan and space mt) and give them away. When the window opened I'd wait by the SB queue and give them to a clueless family. My kids were little (below 5) so we did rides that you didn't have FP (dumbo, speedway, magic carpets, Tta, small world). So it didn't hurt us but we helped a ton of people. I've ridden rnr twice (scary as heck) but I've given away at least 20 FP- for it.

I NEVER sit on the bus unless it's totally empty. I'm a 30s year old man in good health, I should be the last person who needs a seat.

I also give advice to people at the park when I overhear conversations of newbies. Just little things about crowd patterns (watch the parade in frontier land to avoid crowds).

When I'm at the pool I try my best not to ogle the moms in bikinis.

I love wdw and I want everyone else to love it, too. So I do my part to make someone's day brighter.

Last edited:
We always try to assist folks who are lost or in need of directions.
We always move all the way to the end of a row in the theaters.
I'm a smoker. Before DSAs, I still tried to find out of the way places to smoke. Walking through heavily traveled areas with a cigarette is just rude.

I make my kids, even though they are not exactly little anymore, sit on my lap on the bus to make room for others to sit.

I instruct my son to hold open doors for others and to "let the lady go first".

In the days of the paper Fastpasses, we made sure to give any extra ones we didn't to use to a family entering the park as we were exiting.

We have never once put our kids on our shoulders during parades or fireworks or filmed anything with an Ipad.

Stayed with a little boy that had gotten separated from his family post-fireworks while DH went looking for them [yes we first directed him to the closest CM, who was running the popcorn cart by the exit tunnel. She called for a SG to come to the cart without telling them why, then ignored the sobbing little boy and went back to serving the line of guests (much to the horror of the line of guests!)]. DH found the frantic Mom on the other side of the tunnel, and brought her back to us. Tears of joy all around.

Loved giving away FPs when we could actually do that.

We give away extra desserts when on the meal plan.

Use only one lounge chair when at the pool, and make sure it is cleared off when we leave.

Make sure my kids say please and thank you to servers, even if they are only refilling drinks.

One more, this one from my last trip:

On my last day at Magic Kingdom, I went down to the Fire Station and gave all my duplicate SOTMK cards to a random family. The kids were thrilled.

I point people in the direction of Stitch when they ask me what's the best attraction in Tomorrowland.

For years I'd read the ongoing debate about stroller crashers vs rapid stoppers/darters. I'd never had it happen to me though.

One night, as DH and I were in the crush of people over by the Plaza trying to exit after Wishes, I looked back over my shoulder while walking to make sure he was still with me. Stupid move, as on my best day I can walk a straight line with all the grace of a seasick toddler. I accidentally zigged to the side, right in front of a stroller. Boom, right in the Achilles. I yelped. But, unlike the stories you read on here, I immediately apologized profusely. And you know what, *they* actually apologized to me, even though it was totally not their fault. Asked if I was okay.

Actually, the rest of the time, all the way to the front gate, the entire group of people who had been in that vicinity were all so jovial and friendly. Made jokes about the crush rather than complaining. Multiple times I saw people pause to let spliy groups catch up together. Everyone was happy, and in a good mood at the end of a busy day. Before, I'd always sat tight waiting for the crowds to disperse after Wishes, as I'd heard the horror stories. And this was as crowded as I'd ever seen it. But everyone I came into contact with in that crowd was tired but content, and looking out for strangers.

I also used to go out of my way to give away FPs we couldn't use. But yeah, I was mostly met with suspicion. I don't *think* I look all that sketchy...

One incident comes to mind quickly because it was only last month. I helped an elderly woman not lose her place in line at POTC in DLR on our last trip. She was frantically watching for her son and grandson and was going to leave the line to go find them. I knew if she left she'd have to go all the way to the end of the line once she found them. I heard her son tell her he would find her in the line after he took his son potty so I knew he'd come eventually. She was panicking and I told her not to give up her spot and that they would be along. Sure enough, 10 minutes later, there they were. I know some people might think I encouraged 'line cutting' but I just couldn't bear to see her have to go back to the end of the line in the heat when I knew her son was just taking his kid for a potty break.

I also try to make a point of smiling at all the hard working CMs. :-)

On our last trip in May we had a child swap pass to splash mountain. When I went with dd to use it, the cm gave it back to us after checking it and said we could keep to use again. We thought awesome since the temp was in the 90's and standby line was very long. After the ride we met with the rest of our party to see if anyone wanted to ride again, but none of us felt like walking back to splash mountain so we gave the pass away. They were thrilled!

5) Most important - and something that no one mentions in this thread so far - I treat the CMs with respect and also politely do what they ask of me. They are just doing their jobs, and they have to deal with enough problem guests without me piling on, so even if I have an issue I am always polite and patient. Usually that returns as excellent service.

You reminded me of some CM monments... On our last day at MK, I waited in line at city hall and when I got up to a CM, I just said " I don't have a problem, just want to wish you a good day and keep the magic going". The CM gave me a big smile and reached over shook my hand. Sounds goofy on paper, but it was a nice moment.

Another time, I was on the train and looking down on greet and meet with Jessie and Woody. The was a special needs child in a wheelchair. The child didn't have control of his head and the sun was shining right in his face. Jessie kept moving her hand trying to keep his face in the shade for the few minutes she met with him. I noted the time of the meet and greet. Later we stopped at City Hall and explain "Jessie" was showing real concern and should be noted. With the time and location, I sure hope the correct Jessie was rewarded.

We try to be courteous and accommodating when we're at WDW, but I have a story of another family who were so very kind to us.

We were at MVMCP last December. When I was a CP I was cast in the Christmas parade, so it is one of my favorites, of course. I had forced my mother-in-law, DH and DS to go and wait for it 45 minutes early, which still wasn't early enough for front row seats, but we were behind another family, with good views, so I was happy. I don't know what it was about that spot, but both us and the other family ended up having to fight off crowds more than usual trying to cram in FRONT of their kids. Who does that?!
Anyway, I guess they appreciated the help, because once the parade started, they picked up their kids and made room so I could hold my DS and stand in the front with them to watch the parade. I'm sure I looked like a crazy person, but it made me so happy.

I always keep a piece of paper and pen in my backpack. And when I notice CM's going to infinity and beyond for me or another guest, I always make sure to write down their name (or put it in the notepad of my cellphone) and write a thank you to the guest relations email. I make sure I know the CM's name, their home town on their tag, the time / date and area they were working. I'd like to think that gets them some sort of recognition at work. Plus it's nice to let them know people appreciate the hard work they are doing.

We have seen CM's report on the Dis that such messages do indeed go in to their files and carry weight when they are reviewed.......up for promotion, etc........AKK

Oh, I love this thread. I get tired of reading all the complaints, so this is a breath of fresh air. I think most people try to be considerate, but there are always those who don't care.
My good things: Last November, we were at AK and had just ridden Dinosaur and made our way to our fp at EE. When we got there, it was closed due to technical problems, and there were at least 6 CM's and 2 suits waiting for the onslaught of irate people! They saw us coming and looked at us with some fear and trepidation, just waiting for us to yell at them. So, I went over to them and said hi and don't worry I realize things happen, and have a great day. They looked relieved and thanked me. As we were leaving there was a huge group of teens heading for EE, and I felt sorry for the Cm's once again!
Also on the last time we were at wdw, I realized on the last night that we had not used our front of the line pass for any attraction in HS. It was given to us when Tsm broke down while we were on it. I also had some glow sticks and key chains from our home state (that I was going to pass out to CM's). But we had family with us and were unusually busy and I did not do that either. So, I left the fotl ticket (ok for 3 more days), flow sticks, key chains for housekeeping with a note to have fun using these. I hope they enjoyed these things.

This last one was a good deed done for me: I was leaving MK one evening after trying to stay for the fireworks, but due to the crowd and some health issues, I just couldn't stay. I was very disappointed as I haven't seen the fireworks for 20 years or so. I was really looking forward to it. Well the bus was crowded and there was no where to sit but a nice woman with 2 teenage daughters had them get up so I could sit. We talked and I told her about missing the fireworks. She got out her phone and showed me that she had videoed the entire show the other night for her sister who could not come with. She let me watch the entire fw display on the way to our resort. What a wonderful person. She'll never know just how special that was.
I also try to be kind to the CM's, and also talk with others while waiting in lines(if they want to talk). Being courteous goes a long way.
Thanks again for this wonderful post:)

Like other posters, we gave away many a paper FP back in the day. My favorite time, though, was when DD and I were walking into Town Square Theater to see the princesses when they were greeting there. It was our second time to see them that trip -- we were going with other family members who hadn't been yet. We overheard a mom telling her very upset -- and princess dress-wearing -- little girl that they couldn't wait in line because they had to leave for the airport, and the girl was so disappointed because she hadn't been able to meet those princesses. We decided to skip our visit and give the FP's to them. They were stunned when we explained that they could go get in the line immediately. It was heartwarming to see their excitement and how happy it made them both.

We also like to give away balloons on our last day, since we can't take them on the plane. DD is always really sad on our last day, and it cheers her up (and me too) to spread a little magic as we wait for DME.

I love asking couples and families if they would like me to take a picture of their entire party for them (so that no one gets left out). It always seems to brighten their day!

I got to give out some pixie dust a few years ago.

I was waiting in line to get a bottled soda. A young couple (late teens) was in front of me. The guy went to pay and his credit card was rejected - and he had no cash in his wallet. He looked so lost on what to do and his GF had already opened the drink! I told him the drink was on me and quickly ordered while handing the cashier my money so he couldn't refuse.

He thanked me and turned to leave. I bent down and "picked" up a twenty then called after him "Hey, this was on the ground, did you lose it?" He gave me a confused look, then it dawned on him what I'd done. He shook his head. I insisted I saw him drop it. The GF was confused. He took the money.

It was still early in the day and I knew they'd need to eat at some point.

Back in the paper FP days, I gave my FP fpr Expedition Everest to a guy whp was trying to talk his wife into going with him (which she didn't want to). I only had one FP so she was VERY appreciative!
On my solo trips, I've been that GOOD guest lots of times. When I'm waiting in line for the carousel, I always point out which horse is Cinderella's to a little girl nearby in line. Then I love to watch her clamor for that horse and tell everyone SHE got Cinderella's horse. And one time, a little boy was crying because he couldn't find Snow White. The CMs were making phone calls to try to find her-meanwhile I gave him a Snow White pin while he waited. I love helping little ones enjoy their WDW trip.

This thread makes me smile! :goodvibes :disrocks: Working in customer service affords me zillions of opportunities to hear complaints and it's so awesome to hear the good stuff for a change!! In fact, there's one GOOD thing already, when I get great service, I compliment it immediately and a lot! It also takes 2 seconds to send an email when I get home about a particularly wonderful CM or 2 and the magic they made for you on your visit!

I think WDW is a perfect place to extend the magic a little more even to strangers! I'm a worry-wart so I carry a little first aid kit with me and there are a number of times I've given out bandaids (and I keep stickers in it too to get a smile back on the kiddos!) to people whose kids have tripped and skinned a knee or an elbow or gotten a paper cut or some such thing. It saves them from stopping what they're doing to go to a first aid station and usually stops the tears before they get too bad. Many adults in there too! :)

If I'm travelling with my nieces and nephew I usually bring along bubbles or stickers to keep them occupied in lines and glow sticks and bracelets to wear at night for the parade. I always like to bring some extras along for any kids around us! It helps pass the time and you can get the stuff at the dollar store! Usually saves the parents a headache and a pretty penny!

I also like to offer people directions or suggestions if I overhear them being confused or lost, will let people know when they should start waiting for parades or fireworks or what places have my favourite foods and snacks. I Often travel on my own as well so I will offer to take group photos or hold places in line. I have no issues with standing on a bus or monorail, or scooching down a bit to make room for others to watch a parade. I've had amazing conversations with other people's bored children in long lines and helped crush some fears while waiting (esp. at HM or ToT). If you or your kid is doing the potty dance and I'm ahead of you in a bathroom line, chances are I'm gonna send you in ahead of me! I also used to give away fastpasses too if they were no longer needed.

I like to behave this way as much as I can in everyday life! The little thing you do for someone can just make their day that much better! With so many people in such a small area, Disney offers you even more opportunities to pay it forward a little bit! Gosh we are such a great group! :grouphug:

I left compliments for a CM at guest services once and a few weeks ago sent a compliment via email to thank the CM who helped me with my reservations. The first one was for adding a whole bucket of pixie dust to our trip, the other was just a perfect example of good customer service. It was a fun, personal conversation and she definitely exceeded my expectations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter