dan40

Mouseketeer
Has anyone out there ever upstaged a cast member with more Disney trivia knowledge then the CM had? I remember being at California Adventure many moons ago and in the backlot area there was a CM outside what used to be the Walt Disney Story (or the Animation building or something, I can't remember), but she and I got talking enough that I stumped her with so much Disney trivia and knowledge that I feel like I upstaged her quite a bit. She probably went home that day feeling rather down in the dumps. The friend I was with at the time, still brings this up, to this day when we're talking about that trip because I guess I blew him away with all of my Disney knowledge.

Have you ever done this to a cast member that purports knowing a lot about Disney when they really don't know much at all?

There is a difference between a CM who may have incorrect info and one who doesn't know some Disney bit of trivia. Upstaging anyone seems cruel and unnecessary. If you were correcting a CM giving erroneous info that's fine...but showing off enough where a CM feels bad (their jobs are hard enough)...not my cup of tea.

When we worked for Disney I knew more about SOP than the frontline CMs, especially in regards to how to get my discount! ;) I would tell them which keys to push on the register. As far as trivia, we aren't Show-Offs, so we sit back and let the tourists have all the fun.

Has anyone out there ever upstaged a cast member with more Disney trivia knowledge then the CM had? I remember being at California Adventure many moons ago and in the backlot area there was a CM outside what used to be the Walt Disney Story (or the Animation building or something, I can't remember), but she and I got talking enough that I stumped her with so much Disney trivia and knowledge that I feel like I upstaged her quite a bit. She probably went home that day feeling rather down in the dumps. The friend I was with at the time, still brings this up, to this day when we're talking about that trip because I guess I blew him away with all of my Disney knowledge.

Have you ever done this to a cast member that purports knowing a lot about Disney when they really don't know much at all?
No, that would be rude.

Yep, I agree with others that I wouldn't do that. Nor would I try to "correct" a CM if I thought some info they were saying were wrong...especially because it's in a public setting, at their place of employment. Unless it was really wild and crazy, I would just nod move on.

Wow, that's a lot of assumption on your part. I doubt she felt bad. She probably clocked out, went home, and told her roommate all about the crazy day she had at work. I don't understand why you would purposely barrage the poor CM, trying to one-up her with "disney trivia". I'm sure she had actual work to do, but was being nice and humoring you.

She probably went home and told her friends about you is my guess. And not in a nice way.

This all happened in 2001, so take it with a grain of salt. I can't just change the past at a snap of my fingers. What's done is done. I'm not sure how bad the 'damage' was, but I felt good at the time knowing that I knew more than the CM. She was probably happy to know I knew so much and we were very courteous to each other, and I know she stumped me too on a number of things. It was nice to have that little tete-a-tete with a CM.

Wow, that's a lot of assumption on your part. I doubt she felt bad. She probably clocked out, went home, and told her roommate all about the crazy day she had at work. I don't understand why you would purposely barrage the poor CM, trying to one-up her with "disney trivia". I'm sure she had actual work to do, but was being nice and humoring you.

We posted at the same time!

I've never upstaged a CM, but I did get one to break character once.

At 1900 Park Fare, Suzy and Perla came to visit, and one of them (not sure which) hugged me and planted her lips on me and made a smooching sound. Out of the corner of my mouth, I quietly said, "That's a girl in there, right?" I heard the actress inside busting up and trying not to laugh.

This all happened in 2001, so take it with a grain of salt. I can't just change the past at a snap of my fingers. What's done is done. I'm not sure how bad the 'damage' was, but I felt good at the time knowing that I knew more than the CM. She was probably happy to know I knew so much and we were very courteous to each other, and I know she stumped me too on a number of things. It was nice to have that little tete-a-tete with a CM.

I'm glad you left happy, but honestly, CMs see thousands of people per day. I don't know how much their emotions drpend on guests' disney knowledge.

You felt good at the time about showing off and you're bragging about it again 16 years later. How are we supposed to take it?

Just because someone works for Disney in the parks does not automatically make them a Disney trivia expert. Heck, I have met some CM's at WDW that have never even been to another park than the one they are working at. To some it is just a job. There is so much trivia out there it would be hugely time consuming for every CM to learn/know every bit of it. I do believe they should know about the area they are working in and it would help knowing any trivia about it they can share with their guests but to upstage a CM with your knowledge seems childish.

MJ

Wait, this happened 16 years ago, and it's still in your mind enough to come here and do a brag post? Sorry, buddy, that says a whole lot more about you than it does the cast member. Glad it made you feel "good", though.

How can you all be so brutal to me? It was an enjoyable experience, and there was even a little magic spread around that day. Frankly, I'm getting tired of so many negative responses to posts I make. All I'm doing is trying to make conversation with recollections about past trips. I don't need this type of aggravation.

It is the tone of the post.

I can tell you as an ex-CM that type of thing is the thing that gets laughed about backstage and doesn't affect your actual day. Now if the guest is being rude in their "knowledge" (there are some who does this not saying the OP was that way at all) they may be a little defeated. I wouldn't want someone coming into my job now and trying to upstage me and I hated it a lot as a CM too especially the grown adults that expected me to know every single episode of Phineus and Ferb because I worked at the attraction or would debate the way Perry's call music should be said.

How can you all be so brutal to me? It was an enjoyable experience, and there was even a little magic spread around that day. Frankly, I'm getting tired of so many negative responses to posts I make. All I'm doing is trying to make conversation with recollections about past trips. I don't need this type of aggravation.

I guess because some of us don't call making "someone feel down in the dumps" an enjoyable experience. It could be your choice of words.

Maybe it was how you said it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter