365 days of healthy choices... Year #3 starts with post 356, comments welcome!

Princess VIJA!! I am back to try this losing thing, needed a break! I am going for goal! How are you doing?? Want to make 2013 our goal year?? Congrats on Eagle Scout!! That is amazing! My son stopped at Life Scout and while I know he may regret not going for it, I understand why..he had a rough troop that demoralized him in many ways, he stuck it out to make a change and help encourage others but became too much..he got to do Philmont with his Dad..so he did make some great memories :)

Weather is turning nice, time to lose!! Pulling for you!
Tara

Hi Tara! I would love to make 2013 our goal year!!!! I'm on board. I've made some changes, and I've struggled, but finally made a plan to follow and odly enough today is day 1! I just came on WISH and saw the new posts... how ironic. I guess this means this is definitely somewhere I need to be... back among friends!:goodvibes Sorry to hear about how the scout troop wasn't the best for your DS. What courage he had to stick it out to try and make changes. Do tell about Philmont, my DH and DS are getting so excited!

Just popping in to say hi and see how things were going!

Hi Desiree!

Thanks for checking in with me! I love the good friends on the DIS and WISH, you guys really are the best.

I thought long and hard about this, and would love input from you guys. I am restarting today. Sure, I've made some changes since the first of the year, but they have not been consistent. Not even close. So, my question is... should I restart another WISH journal, or should I continue with this one, and just push the "restart button" and start counting new days?

For now, I'll just restart this one, but I would love input... like a fresh start and all... or continue because this has been my journey?

Day 1,

Well, let me tell you something CRAZY I did this past Saturday, and no judgement please! I actually went to a casting call for Extreme Makeover weight loss edition. I was SURE I was going to get a call back. I felt like I did great during the interview. I have to say I was really dissapointed I didn't get a call back. Just talking with everyone around me though was interesting. Everyone has a story, and truth be told, it would be great if we all could get the chance, we are all deserving of getting to our weight loss goals. I just wished they would have picked me!;)

but that quest also prompted a question from DH. He asked why I would be willing to do whatever Chris Powell said, and not what I already know, or what DH would suggest, or what the trainers at the gym would suggest. I guess the lure of the rewards and prizes were nice, but in the end I need to loose the weight for myself and I need to decide that I am worth the effort. I decided to make my own version of extreme makeover weight loss edition and today I successfully navigated day 1.

For 4 weeks I am concentrating on these goals:
1. Only subway for takeout
2. No chips (I just can't handle those)
3. count calories and log all foods
4. exercise and walk (weather and work schedule permitting) daily
5. After calculating caloric need, stay in the red (meaning eat less than calorie burn)
6. complete 1 task daily
7. step on scale when 4 weeks completed

(after 4 weeks, I will evaluate my progress)

I started reading Jillians new book and #3 & #5 come from there. Makes sense to log your food, know where you are, and plan to eat less calories so I can burn off calories.

1&2 come from my addiction to McDonald's and potato chips. At this point, I need to sever ties with these, I have no control over them and like any other addiction, I just need them out of my life right now.

#4 is not hard, as I truly do like how I feel when I exercise, however I want to make sure I vary the workouts so I don't get bored.

#6 comes from another book I read. "finished being fat". this was one of the BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!!!!! Almost the entire book mirrored me and how I felt. She had some interpersonal struggles that I didn't have, but her feelings, her struggles, her challenges were just like me. It was absolutely amazing to read about "me" in her book. One of the things she did was set small tasks to accomplish every day. I too am a procrastinator and this was something I started to do a few months back and it felt great. I stopped doing it, and missed it. Today's challenge... log on WISH!

#7 Partly from extreme makeover show and partly me, I get tripped up when I look at the scale, so I am going to focus on behaviors instead of numbers on a scale to see how I do.

So...
1. Ate at home for all 3 meals
2. No chips, did have a 100 cal. snack popcorn bag
3. logged all foods. Calories = 1456
4. 60 min. on the elliptical. casual walk with DH and DD outside for about 20 min.
5. done (see#3)
6. Logged on and restarted WISH journal.
7. Weighed in today and then no more till 4 weeks are up.

I have to say I am very proud of myself, and thanks for reading, I appreciate you all very much!!!!:hug:

Good luck

You posed some very interesting and thougthful questions that have me thinking this morning. I am in the same position. For the most part this year I have been pretty good about eating but I still have not gotten into working out and I know that I need to do that in order to lose weight.

Your question from your husband was one I have thought about. I hate spending money and will occasionally think about joining WW but I think about the same kind of thing that your husband mentioned.

Good luck I will be here with you. I may bring up my own journal.

I think those are excellent and very obtainable goals! What a great start!

Excellent point from your hubby. You have all the tools within yourself to do this!

Good luck

You posed some very interesting and thougthful questions that have me thinking this morning. I am in the same position. For the most part this year I have been pretty good about eating but I still have not gotten into working out and I know that I need to do that in order to lose weight.

Your question from your husband was one I have thought about. I hate spending money and will occasionally think about joining WW but I think about the same kind of thing that your husband mentioned.

Good luck I will be here with you. I may bring up my own journal.

Thanks for the good luck wishes. I will have to go search for your log tomorrow,I hope you bring it back up too!

As far as the question goes, isn't that the truth? We KNOW what to do, it is just finding the motivation, and then focusing our energy on completing what needs to get done. Rearranging priorities comes to mind and I think really focusing on what we really want, instead of what we may want now.

Good luck to you too. I'm pulling for ya!:hug:

I think those are excellent and very obtainable goals! What a great start!

Excellent point from your hubby. You have all the tools within yourself to do this!

Thanks Desiree! I love how you phrased that ... I have all the tools within myself. I really do, it's just a matter of putting all the tools to work on my behalf. And keeping it consistent.

Ughh, woke up with a small headache and then later in the afternoon it started getting worse. I am sure it is because I had a late lunch at work. But I did the right thing and went home, had a sensible snack and then I meant to go lay down to nap, but got caught up in Downton Abbey. I LOVE that show. Just started watching season 1. Oh well, I plan on going to bed early tonight.

Achievements:

*Stair master for 30 minutes and then did upper body weight lifting
*No walk, as it was raining, but I DID enjoy the thunderstorms!:banana: I LOVE thunderstorms!!!!
* No take out, no chips, no scale
* washed laundry and will read from my book club book tonight
* calorie counting done = 1777

I think another successful day!

YES!! RESTART!!! :)

Absolutely restart, you have learned a lot and your first pages are inspiring and just show the ongoing struggle we all face and need to overcome!

Great motivators and tips to get you going...

McDonald's. dear me, so easy to just pop through drive through when you have teenagers, we are in the car 15 hours each week!! Crazy! I have given up 'meal' ordering and the ONLY thing I allow myself from McDonald's is a grilled chicken snack wrap...only have one and a large unsweet tea...if I MUST do fast food...can't eat a salad on the go...but have those at home daily...

One day a month my husband and I go eat whatever we want! I am planning Five Guys Burger and fries...CAN NOT WAIT! :) I know it's awful to dream of food, but I do put lots of veggies on my burger and get the junior burger as well :) But, honestly, I can do ANYTHING for 30 days...then I need a mental break from counting calories for one day, then I'm good for another 30 days...

Philmont...key is at least 5 practice hikes for weekends...at least 10 miles each day...they both lost 14 pounds their stint out there :) Such a great experience for them, invest or borrow the lightest gear possible, makes a big difference! :)

Yes!! Losing is a challenge, but we can meet it and slamma jamma it down! :)

My younger son and dh did Philmont and they loved it. Dh would love to take me out there to see it. He also did Sea Base in the Fl Keys with older son. It was a much easier trip than Philmont.

YES!! RESTART!!! :)

Absolutely restart, you have learned a lot and your first pages are inspiring and just show the ongoing struggle we all face and need to overcome!

Great motivators and tips to get you going...

McDonald's. dear me, so easy to just pop through drive through when you have teenagers, we are in the car 15 hours each week!! Crazy! I have given up 'meal' ordering and the ONLY thing I allow myself from McDonald's is a grilled chicken snack wrap...only have one and a large unsweet tea...if I MUST do fast food...can't eat a salad on the go...but have those at home daily...

One day a month my husband and I go eat whatever we want! I am planning Five Guys Burger and fries...CAN NOT WAIT! :) I know it's awful to dream of food, but I do put lots of veggies on my burger and get the junior burger as well :) But, honestly, I can do ANYTHING for 30 days...then I need a mental break from counting calories for one day, then I'm good for another 30 days...

Philmont...key is at least 5 practice hikes for weekends...at least 10 miles each day...they both lost 14 pounds their stint out there :) Such a great experience for them, invest or borrow the lightest gear possible, makes a big difference! :)

Yes!! Losing is a challenge, but we can meet it and slamma jamma it down! :)

I LOVE the idea of taking 1 night off and eating anything you want. I LOVE Red Robbin... YUMMMM! There onion rings are my most favorite treat. I'll have to think on that idea. I agree I can do anything for 30 days, but the mental break might be good. I also noticed your 75 pound banner! AWESOME!!!! Can't wait till I can have one of those.

What did you mean by the 5 practice hikes? Is it 5 weekends in a row, or how did they do it?

They started to do the pracice hikes. I know more are coming. I'll have to tell them about the 14# loss. They have gotten light gear and I am sure they are going to work on getting their packs even lighter.

My younger son and dh did Philmont and they loved it. Dh would love to take me out there to see it. He also did Sea Base in the Fl Keys with older son. It was a much easier trip than Philmont.

I would love to go out there too! DS did not do Sea Base, and I wish he would have. They did Boundary waters and now Philmont. I wish he would have done all 3, but it didn't interest him.:confused3 I know they are going to have an amazing time!

Ughhh, tonight I am struggling. CRAVING snacks. anything crunchy, salty, but can not have, Must not have...

I did pretty good today. But it stinks that it is so hard to make the changes. I am very hungry too. I know that I am probably eating 1/3 of the calories or even on my really bad days a 1/4 of the calorie intake. I was eating WAYYYYY too much. I guess this is just an adjustment, and I will weather this storm...

I also was tempted to just jump on the scale at the gym, but the mantra I have is "No good will come from weighing in early", and it kept me from the scale. VERY PROUD of that!

Accomplishements:
1. No take out!
2. No chips!
3. count calories and log all foods Done, calories = 1510
4. exercise and walk= 46 min. on elliptical, rowing and lat. pull down weight lifting (raining, no walk)
5. After calculating caloric need, stay in the red Done!
6. complete 1 task daily (folded laundry, dishes, kitchen clean up and read from book club book)
7. avoided the scale!

Wow, is all I can say. I am comitted to doing this, but it certainly is a challenge. I had the urge to snack tonight, but at least chose healthy! Went grocery shopping and did pretty good there too, so I am pleased. We had Subway for dinner and I did make 1 concesion. I had baked chips instead of regular chips and I am glad I did it. Finding a way to make this a healthy lifestyle change and something I can do for a long time.

Accomplishements:
1. Had Subway
2. Baked chips
3. count calories and log all foods Done, calories = 2050
4. exercise and walk= 46 min. on stairmaster, leg machines for weight lifting (raining, no walk)
5. After calculating caloric need, stay in the red Done! (believe it or not, it still is in the red, but barely
6. complete 1 task daily (read from book club book)
7. avoided the scale!

This morning I finally felt better! I woke up and just physically felt better. It helped me just to realize, or confirm, that I have to be consistent and trust in the process... Then I will start feeling better & better. I've always had trouble being cosistent, and making changes for the long term. Glad that my focus is just that right now, to take 4 weeks and focus on changes and not the scale.

Today no chips, no take out, calories - 1720, eliptical 30 min., accomplishment today is working out. I was very tired after work. I decidef to go work out, but only go for 30 min. And to focus on just enjoying myself... Who knew I would love that feeling so much, but I doa

This morning I finally felt better! I woke up and just physically felt better. It helped me just to realize, or confirm, that I have to be consistent and trust in the process... Then I will start feeling better & better. I've always had trouble being cosistent, and making changes for the long term. Glad that my focus is just that right now, to take 4 weeks and focus on changes and not the scale.

Today no chips, no take out, calories - 1720, eliptical 30 min., accomplishment today is working out. I was very tired after work. I decidef to go work out, but only go for 30 min. And to focus on just enjoying myself... Who knew I would love that feeling so much, but I doa

Hi Vija. Glad you starting up this again - doing the same. I have a long story - my journal will be called "Follow the Yellow Arrows" - and will be up before the end of the week.

I restarted April 12th - starting slow. Food first, charting, journaling and not letting ED out of control.

First 5k of the year (which will be the first one totally completed since before Breast cancer diagnosis last year) in about five weeks - starting up training again tomorrow.

April 12 was the 39th anniversary of when I first decided to surrender my life to God and it was the 33th anniversary of the beginning of Terry Fox's Marathon of Hope, so it seemed fitting.

More later.

Thanks for the Christmas cards and the pictures of your beautiful family - go for it lady, let this year be a healthy year, the year we do it!:thumbsup2

Have a magical losing day.

Linda

:dumbo::eeyore:

3rd time is a charm??? or should I say 300 millionth time is a charm? I have started and restarted so many times, but I refuse to give up on myself. So here goes... 3rd time to complete 365 days of healthy choices and finally loose weight for good!!!!

What motivated me? Well, DS just left for college and my heart is broken.:sad: BUT before he left he started to get into rock climbing. He said that if I loose the weight he will teach me and take me rock climbing. Soooo.... what's a mother to do that wants to stay connected with her now adult son? Move Heaven and Earth to loose the weight so that we can continue to connect. Although this frightens the heck out of me because I am afraid of heights! :rolleyes1:eek:

That got me to thinking what else activity wise do I want to do? DH and I will need to find something to do once DD flies the coop and I would love to get into backpacking with DH. (DS and DH went to Philmont scout camp this past summer and their experience sounded AMAZING)

I also want to earn that very elusive black belt, and I would LOVE to go river rafting and river tubing and hiking in the Narrows in Arizona, and hiking further down into the grand canyon, and horseback riding in the water during our cruise, and wearing a beautiful ball gown on formal night of the cruise, and keeping up with DH as he walks, and finally fitting on that darn Harry Potter ride.

So, last night I found a book I want to read to help me along the way. I recharged the MP3 player so I can have great work out music.

Today's healthy choices included:

1. having baked tilapia when we went out for lunch instead of the chicken Alfredo.

2. Making the decision to get back to journaling!!!! I have missed all of you, and I want to make this happen.

DH and I had a long talk a few weeks back and we came up with this mantra together. I am a perfectionist by nature and I think sometimes it can be used as an excuse, not sure, but often I feel I need to do it 100% perfect. Can't be perfect, so we talked and came up with that mantra... Some is better than None. And I use it a lot for many things. Laundry, cleaning, projects. If I can't get it all done in 1 day, it is OK, as "some is better than none" and slowly I will chip away at my projects and weight loss.

todays healthy choices:
1. No extra snacking right after lunch
2. went for a walk

AND DS skyped us today, let us know how college is going to far and I am so happy to have heard from him!!!!!:banana:

hmmm, I really didn't do a lot of healthy choices. I thought of one thing I did, and it isn't good that I had to try to find a healthy choice, I should be doing many.:rolleyes:

DH and I were watching a TV show and I kept my hands busy by folding clothes. I guess that is a plus, but I'd like a few more healthy choices. I will try and do better tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter