4/14 Wonder Trip - Travelling To The Port

goofysgal

Mouseketeer
4/14 WONDER TRIP REPORT

Cast: me (46), DH (47), DS (turned 11 on 4/14),
Sister (41) & BIL (44)

SATURDAY, 4/13

Weather is sporadic rain showers.

Sis & BIL left Suwanee (about 45 miles north of Atlanta) at 10:00 a.m. driving south on I-85 and then I-75.

We left Peachtree Corners (about 30 miles north of Atlanta) at 10:30 a.m. planning to drive the same route with a stop just south of Atlanta. DH won a key from a local sports talk radio station contest to try to start a 2002 GMC Yukon. We arrived at the dealership at about 11:30 a.m. He registered, drew his key number, and we ate a lite cajun lunch compliments of the dealership & radio station while we waited for the contest to begin. Contestants began trying their keys at 1:00 p.m. DH drew #60 and key #18 started the Yukon. DH collected his consolation goody bag and we were on the road again by 1:30 p.m.

DH drove until we were just north of Tifton, GA. We stopped to top off the fuel, take a bathroom break and switch drivers. After visiting two gas stations, I vowed that we will not stop at gas stations for breaks, but will stick to fast food places instead. They are definitely much cleaner!

I drove from Tifton on, still running in and out of rain; sometimes it was heavy. Sister called to warn about traffic around road construction north of Valdosta, Ga. They were orignally about 1 1/2 hours ahead of of us, but it took them about 45 mins to travel 10 miles thru the construction area. DH pulled out the map and looked for alternate routes around Valdosta. However, we decided to drive on thru since it was close to 4:30 and we hoped they would be wrapping up construction work for the day. Luck was on our side and we breezed thru there relatively quickly at 55 mph (instead of the 75-80 we had been running).

We stopped again just south of Valdosta for a quick break and went thru the Chic-Fil-A drive thru. We travelled on towards Orlando were soon on 528 towards Port Canerval. (Important note here--I expected DH to take over driving again but he didn't; (he always keeps track of the gas and I wasn't paying attention--you guessed it--we're on 528 with l-o-n-g distances between exits and the "low fuel" light came on.) Anyway, when I get off 528 I know I have approximately 2 gallons of gas (the Expedition gets 14 miles/per gallon). I am now backtracking and it was about 20 miles before we approached any sign of civilization. I coasted into the gas station, refueled and we're on the road again (I'm still driving--what is going on here??) We retrace our way back to 528 and are on the way again. This little side trip took about 45 minutes. I checked in with my sister and they had just arrived at the Radisson. She confirmed our ressie would be held for late arrival.

We arrived at the Radisson about 9:00 p.m. checked in and then headed to the Durango Steak House for dinner. Got the overnite bag and turned in for the night about 10:30 p.m. I had originally planned on arriving at the Radisson much earlier and spending the evening relaxing--oh well, it could have been worse I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter