4 Day Paradise Pier 2 Day Park trip report Sept 25-29.

Weber Prof

Earning My Ears
I found this site so helpful when preparing for our recent trip and wanted to pay forward if I could. The last time we went to Disneyland was in 1995. We are now grandparents and relied on chat boards, vloggers, and bloggers in preparing. We used a Disney Magical Vacation Planner.

There were 6 of us traveling. Two grandparents 👨‍🦲 🧑‍🦳, two parents, two children ages (2 and 5) 👨‍👩‍👦‍👦.

Thanks to everyone who has shared information about their experiences. I would deem our trip an overall success in large part due to the information gained from this site.:love:

Last edited:
We flew ✈️into John Wayne Airport (SNA) on Saturday, Sept 24. It was so close and convenient to Anaheim. I think I like SNA even better than LGB. SNA is my top choice if going to DLR. We took an Uber to the Hilton Garden Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove. Our children and grandchildren drove 🚗 and we met us there. The hotel is undergoing renovations (precursor to our trip!). Half of the lobby is closed, the pool is closed, the snack/gift shop is closed, and some walkways are closed. The original plan was to arrive Sunday but we had the opportunity to meet up with family so came a day early. Garden Inn guests can purchase a bus pass to ride to DLR. They have a breakfast buffet or full breakfast menu. Parking is $25.00 per night I recall. We ate breakfast at around 8:30 am. It was mostly full in the dining area as many families were eating before heading to park at. We checked out of the hotel around 10 am.

1664757214431.png

Last edited:
It took two trips to shuttle everyone over to PP as we only had one vehicle. We knew we were too early to check into our rooms but wanted to drop luggage at the bell desk before going to Long Beach. When we arrived at PP we were greeted promptly. I did online check in so it was breeze. A CM with a iPad did the check in and told us a text message would let us know when our room was available. If you don't complete online check in you have wait for someone at the desk to complete. CM informed us that it was the last day Goofy:goofy: would be in the lobby. We made sure to get pictures!

We left our luggage with the bell folks and left for Long Beach to meet up withfamily.

TIPS: complete online check in.
If arrive early store bags and explore area.
1664754238626.png

Last edited:
CM gave us information on hotel renovations and literature on hotel events and how to order food. If staying at DLR hotels there is a dedicated QR code to have food delivered from DTD at no charge to your hotel lobby. CM said the best place to watch fireworks was from the northwest corner of the pool area 🏊‍♀️and chairs would be set up. We watched the DL fireworks from that spot Sunday night. The music is piped in from the park. The lounge chairs are comfortable and we noticed several families brought dinner to eat while watching.

TIP: using delivery from DTD is simple. Use the QR code to order. A text message lets you know when it is in the lobby.

1664754315203.png 1664754347153.png

Last edited:

We drove to the Long Beach Marina. My brother-in-law lived in Long Beach for many years and our young family often stayed with him when we came to California. He died last year after fighting a rare cancer. We meet up with extended family members to share memories. We rented bikes🚴‍♂️ and rode from the Queen Mary⛴️ (where he was married) to his favorite pizza🍕 place. We were able to send pictures to his widow and all shared happy memories of him and visits at his house.
1664754429525.png1664754452140.png

TIP: if you have the opportunity to see family on your trip, do it!❤️

Last edited:
We drove back to the PP. We had one car :car: we would be parking for the trip. The only entrance into the hotel for now is in and out of the parking garage. You are stopped by a gate CM to enter the parking area. We didn't have to show our hotel reservation but others did to enter. If you are not parking but dropping off you also need to verify. To park you simply enter the parking structure. There is an unloading area right after you enter the garage. Usually CM are there to help with luggage. If you unload luggage you won't have to carry it (no elevators in garage I could see) or pull it with you. If you are being dropped off you enter the parking garage and then immediately exit to your left.

1664754608680.png

TIP: Stopping at the luggage drop gives you more room to unload.

1664754637930.png

Last edited:
Because PP is undergoing renovations the main entrance is closed. Everyone must use the entrance from the parking garage to enter. The main entrance is gated and boarded up. The ballroom currently houses the lobby, registration, bell desk, concierge desk, and gift shop. The hotel gift shop was open but sparsely supplied so I am not sure if it will remain open. The sign over the hotel entrance says "Welcome Poor Unfortunate Souls". There are three elevators currently in service. The glass elevator in the lobby is closed off as is all the lobby. We saw construction workers entering and exiting the building but never heard construction noise and only smelled paint once.
1664754504393.png

Last edited:

We had two rooms reserved for PP. One Premier View and one Standard View across the hall. Our children and grandchildren got their room number and information via text but we never did so we had to stop by registration. We were informed they had upgraded :tink:both rooms to premier view and gave us connecting rooms. That was very nice and I send a thank you via the app. When we reached our rooms the keys did not work for one of the rooms. We called the front desk on the room phone and they sent someone up with new keys. It still wouldn't work so someone else came and manually opened the door. Later someone came and replaced the whole doorknob/key lock contraption. Some of us left to scout out the entrance options for DCA in the morning and others stayed in the room. DTD was so crowded it was hard to even walk around! We went through security to see what that would be like in the morning. Security told us that hotel guests can use any entrance with their room key. Our room keys for PP were blue. I met someone at DLH whose room key was gold. Perhaps each hotel has a different color?🤔
I did a practice mobile order at Marceline's to be ready for the next day in the park. We timed walking from the hotel to the DCA main gates. I took pictures but all turned out so blurry we are embarrassed to post. 😳
When we returned the keys to the other hotel room did not work. The front desk made new keys which did work. We didn't have key issues for the rest of the trip. We labeled the bad key cards with a B so we wouldn't get locked out!
1664754555029.png

TIP: if you haven't been to DLR a trial run may be helpful.
DTD had 6 or 7 lines for security. PP into DCA had 2 or 3. GCH into DTD had 2 or 3.

Last edited:
Monday Sept 26 was the day we went to DCA. Because the weather forecast was hot🥵 we took misters and fans for us and the stroller. Good plan!! It got up to 95 that day! We entered the park using the Main gates so we would be closer to Avengers Campus when park opened. Our plan for the day is attached. Black is what we planned. Red is changes that happened. We pretty much did everything and experienced everything we wanted. We thought it was an excellent day.🙂 It was very crowded and we had four rides that broke down☹️ so altered plans throughout the day.

Taking a three hour break mid day was such a good idea🙂. Grandchildren watched Disney films for a few minutes on the TV 📺but then went right to sleep😴. Their parents stayed in the park but said they wished they would have come back. I was able to ice and cover my eyes. The short time by the beach on Sunday 🚴‍♀️to take pictures really did a number on my eyes👁️.

1664754690710.png

As you can see from the picture PP rooms are rather plain in Disney theming and overall design. Spouse preferred PP bed 🛏️and I preferred Hilton bed. Sofa and furniture were worn but clean. Room carpet was damp in places when we checked in like it had just been steam cleaned but was completely dry by Monday.

Tips: Take a hotel break if you can.
Make a plan but be ready to adapt.

Attachments

• DCA Plan and actual.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I really appreciate the document you shared about how your plans changed! We are anticipating much larger crowds than our last visit, so I am planning this trip by the hour, as I would a Disney World trip. Glad to see someone else doing the same. :)

After a a very successful but long and hot day at DCA, we spent Tuesday relaxing at the hotel. Started the day with character dining for breakfast at Storytellers Cafe.

1664833589368.png

Parents and grandkids enjoyed the pool and slides. :beach: The PP slide is slow moving so teens and adults might not enjoy it but children and parents appreciate it. The hotel has life jackets for children of all sizes. They also have cold water handy and pool ducks for kids to play with.

1664832946966.png1664833228241.png

We ordered lunch from Tortilla Jo's 🌮using the hotel QR code. Food was delivered hot and speedy. They forgot the rice and beans ☹️with the entrees but there was an abundance of chips (no salsa). We tried to contact them but they never responded. 🤔

In the early evening we left PP and went to Huntington Beach to watch the sunset and picked up food for a beach dinner picnic. The kids loved playing in the sand and I loved that I was able to be on the beach with them because the sun was down.
1664833659521.png

A no stress day that was relaxing and happy all round for everyone. :grouphug:

TIP: Having a park break day can be rejuvenating for young and old.

Last edited:
Wednesday Sept 28 was Disneyland day. So glad we went to DCA first to learn how to Genie +, Mobile order, and navigate crowds because Disneyland was bigger, more crowded, and hotter.
The early line up worked so well for us we decided to go to security early again. We are coming from a different time zone so our usual wake up times were not altered getting up at 5 am PDT.

Our plan for the day is attached along with changes marked in red. I know it has been said before, but having so many rides go down and so often squashes some magic. We left the day with two unused ME because rides kept breaking.

But we still had a successful and happy day doing just about everything we wanted. The longest wait we had for any ride was Jungle Cruise at 30 minutes.⌚ I count it as a win that our ROTR wait was less than 20 minutes. I don't know what kind of pixie dust :tink:was in play we somehow we timed it just right and practically walked on. After paying for RSR at DCA and still having about an hour wait we didn't want to pay for ROTR so we were very happy indeed. :earsboy:

We walked 11.1 miles this day according to my phone. The day at DCA was 9.5 miles.

Grandparents and grandkids took a break and napped while parents did some attractions, had lunch, and visited in Galaxy Edge.

1664835711108.png 1664836481092.png

My only wish is that there would have been a parade, or some kind of park show or midday entertainment. I kept checking the app but didn't see anything. We caught some of the band marching for flag retreat but there was no parade, calvacade, Lion King, Dapper Dan, that I was able to find on the app. There was a Fairytale story but I am not sure that that meant. I thought the entertainment was a big part of the Disney experience and it didn't happen the day we were there.

Tips: mobile order and have snacks so no one gets hangry.
Take a break mid day if you can/want.
Plan your day but be ready to adapt.🕰️

Attachments

• DisneyLand PLan and actual.pdf
    111.6 KB · Views: 37
Thursday Sept 29 came quickly. Check out day. Slept late and packed up. We had reserved a pickup truck🛻 from Hertz at the SNA airport location but when we got there they said they did not have a truck and there was not a single truck available in the entire Hertz system in the greater LA area. That seemed ludicrous to us.😵‍💫 We began searching online for a one way pickup truck rental from LA to our home state and nothing was showing. Finally walked to Alamo counter at the airport and were immediately given a truck to rent for less than Hertz. 😀

1665418821452.png

We still don't know what to make of the "no trucks to rent in all of LA" from Hertz comment. 🤔

While we were in an episode from Twilight Zone for the truck rental, the parents and grand kids enjoyed the pool 🏊‍♂️ at PP and lunch at DTD. After lunch they gathered their luggage🧳 from the bell desk and went to the beach again.:beach:

1665419364228.png
The beach was perfect for tiring the kids so they slept all the way to Las Vegas where they stopped to spend the night.🛌

1665419787990.png

Last edited:
Meanwhile we drove to Thousand Oaks, California to get our trip souvenir.

1665419599688.png

As you can see the pickup truck was absolutely needed! On to our next adventure! 🏍️

1665420088160.png

Last edited:
We are going back! Nov 2-6 we are going with our two oldest grandchildren (both aged 10) but no parents. This time staying at Disneyland Hotel. Our ride plan worked really well for us last time so I am reading new trip reports and tips to update. Glad these boards continue to provide timely info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter