4 kids, 2 adults, 1 room?

parrotheadlois

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever stayed at one of the resorts with 4 kids and 2 adults. I know you're not REALLY supposed to, but has anyone done it? We figure 1 adult, 2 kids per bed, wouldn't be TOO bad! Hey how much time do you spend in the room anyway

You might want to think it through. Being that the All-Stars and moderates have full size beds, you would have to stay at a deluxe in order to get 2 queen beds. For that price, your better off booking 2 Value rooms at AS!

Just out of curiousity, (and not from a monetary sense either) Why would you want to? 6 people, 1 toilet. You do the math! LOL!!!

:earsgirl:

Fort Wilderness Cabins. They hold 6. Do it any other way and you are nutty! Or will be before the vacation is over.

I never really get the one bathroom thing - having grown up in a house full time with five of us and one bathroom. Ten of us when my cousins visited us for two weeks every summer. Six teenage girls, four adults, one bathroom. Some of the best times of my life.

Had a girlfriend who had four siblings, and until eighth grade they had NO bathrooms - they still had an outhouse!

But I wouldn't put six in a room. I can't stand to sleep that close to anyone that I'd want to sleep on a queen bed between my two kicking children. Sure, you don't spend that much time in the room, but you do want to be well rested - or the vacation won't be much fun and you won't get the value out of it. Since you are willing to sleep in seperate beds, look into two rooms, the cabins at Ft. Wilderness, or an offsite suite (some of them are very nice and very inexpensive).

Just wanted to let you know that I don't think you are crazy;)

You didn't say how old the kids are, so that may make a difference... but I have 4 boys, and the oldest was barely 7 when the youngest was born.

We have done the 4 kids/2 adults in a room thing several times, even in "micro-sized" Motel 6 rooms. When the youngest was an infant, we got a crib brought in and put the other 3 "crossways" across the bed. On our last trip, we got a roll-away for the oldest and the other 3 slept on the other bed. Only once did #3 sleep on the floor, but that's only because he wanted to and was going thru a phase of doing that even at home!

It is likely that on all future trips we will need to upgrade to a suite-style room with a foldout sofa, though. One thing about kids... they don't stay small for long.

So if the kiddos are small enough, I say go for it.

There have been several threads that discuss the various issues of a family of 6 and lodging (I posted one myself!). I have four children currently ages 6, 7, 9, 10. We always stay in one room when we visit family and it is do-able. We let the hotel know and don't hide it from them. Some won't allow it due to fire code. Others will, especially if the kids are young or business is low. For our upcoming WDW trip, we have ressies at HIFS w/a Kidsuite that sleeps 6. No, it's not a Disney on-site resort and we'll miss out there, but as you said--how much time do you spend in your room?

Here's the deal:
1. Legally (fire codes, safety, etc) the hotel isn't supposed to go above occupancy limit which is usually 4.
2. There are very few on-site resorts that allow a family of 6 to stay in one room (I find the ones available are outside my budget --even Fort Wilderness since we don't have camping gear and would have to buy that!!)
3. That left my family with staying on-site and get adjoining rooms (double the cost) or staying on-site and lying, hoping not to get caught (our consciences and beliefs won't allow us to do this, even though my budget screams for it! :) )
4. So we looked off-site and got HIFS at a good rate.

That's how I got where I am. Hope it helps.

P.S. I agree with the others who commented about sharing a bathroom. If you've come from a multi-bathroom home, you can't imagine sharing, but I also grew up sharing one bathroom (family of 5) and never thought anything of it.

Thanks for your input! Just out of curiosity, what is HIFS and do you have the link for it? Otherwise, we're just thinking of packiing a sleeping bag for the oldest. Still just in the planning stages. I really appreciate everyone's help!

You dont say how old your kids are but on our Sept stay we stayed at the YC. My boys at the time were 15 yrs, 12 yrs, 2 yrs and 5 months. In a deluxe room with a daybed you can stay 5 plus one under 3.
Anyone with boys knows that the bathroom should not be much of a problem they dont stay in there to long and sometimes has to be forced in there, lol.

You don't say when you're going but you should definitely check into the price of the cabins. Maybe mousesavers will have a code. You don't have to buy camping gear to stay in the cabins. Everything is there for you. It is like a hotel suite with rustic decor & an outdoor deck.

I know where you're coming from with wanting to get the best value for your money. For me, I wouldn't dream of sleeping with my kids - because I wouldn't sleep. I have a hard enough time getting a good's night sleep without them wiggling all over the place.

Unfortunately, for those of us with more than 2 children the 4 person hotel room isn't always an option. I know you said "how much time do you spend in the room anyway" & you are right - usually not a lot, but during the time we're there, I want to be as comfortable as possible. I don't want to be tripping over reach other.

Again - check out FW - you may be able to get a good rate & personally I think it's the best resort in WDW for it's value & the things you can do there. Oh - plus in the cabins you would get a full size kitchen so eating some meals (especially breakfast) in the rooms would save money. :)

I'm from a big family and wouldn't have any problems with squeezing into one room -- however, at WDW they issue resort passes for each person in the room. If they don't allow that many in a room they won't issue that many passes and someone in your group wouldn't have one.

It sounds like they are checking resort passes more frequently now -- especially if your family wants to do EE.

I think this is what the real problem would be. I'd go the safe route and try to book in somewhere that does allow for 6 people.

Originally posted by heart4dis

2. There are very few on-site resorts that allow a family of 6 to stay in one room (I find the ones available are outside my budget --even Fort Wilderness since we don't have camping gear and would have to buy that!!)
[/B]

FYI - You don't need camping equipment for the cabins at Ft. Wilderness - they are terrific. Double bed and one set of bunk beds in the bedroom and a queen murphy in the living area. Full kitchen with seating for at least eight. Full WDW Resort privlidges and great pools, petting zoo, movies and campfires. A great place for a family and you can often get a discount with AAA, a code (see mousesavers), or DC.

Enjoy
TJ

The HIFS site is www.hifamilysuites.com
I've also been emailing a representative (Kelly) there jjbear@hifamilysuites.com who has been helpful with my questions. Kelly let me know that HIFS does have packages available for families larger than 4, so you could ask about those (which would include tickets). I've only booked a room thus far.

BTW Thanks tjm22727 for the expanded info on the FW cabins. I was aware they existed and sleep 6, but they were pricey for us. I guess I didn't figure in the other benefits you listed.

Originally posted by heart4dis
BTW Thanks tjm22727 for the expanded info on the FW cabins. I was aware they existed and sleep 6, but they were pricey for us. I guess I didn't figure in the other benefits you listed.
\

My pleasure and keep checking the codes! Although the rack rate for the cabin is high they are often discounted with an AP or code as well as AAA and DC. I have always been lucky enough to get a good discount. Love having the full kitchen so we can do breakfast and some lunch/dinners in the cabin depending on our touring plans - we save $$ on that part.

If your youngest is 3 or under I have seen rates for the AKL as low as 170 which would give you a deluxe resort with a queen and two bunks plus one in a crib?

TJ

Staying in a FW cabin in my opinion is definitely worth the extra money. We always thought of it this way - we would probably spend about $200 a day eating all 3 meals out, plus snacks. We figured the money we save on eating some meals in the cabin we would put towards the accommodations.

We just love the FW cabins & I would rather stay there & have to prepare a few meals than be in one small hotel room. The comfort of FW & the relaxing atmosphere is worth every penny you pay to stay there.

Can you tell I'm a FW fan. :p

To MELSMICE (and others who posted re Fort Wilderness:

I searched Dreams Unlimited for Fort Wilderness Cabins. The info says maximum occupancy is 4. Help me out. I need a link that will give me basic info including a price quote. For some reason the WDW site kicks me out and DU only allows family of 4...I just want to compare the price and amenities to what I already have booked to see if I want to make a change.
Thanks

I just booked the room this morning, $99 per night with the Entertainment Book (July 14-19). Sounded good to me. I'll get the passes discounted through the Disney Club so I'll just do those separately. Thanks for everyone's help, it looks like a great place, the kids will love it! Me and my dh will be staying at CBR, so will my sister and her (basically grown) 3 kids. We're all looking forward to it!:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter