• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

4 Kiwigirls heading to Disneyland! PTR

Kiwigirls

Mouseketeer
Hi all! :welcome: Really looking forward to writing my first ever trip report!
We are headed to Disneyland in the third week of October and since I am probably more excited than the kids and keep reading these boards every day, I thought I would do a pre-trip report and have an outlet for my planning and scheming!!

So the details so far!

Cast of Characters:
Me - 37yrs old, slightly Disney obsessed, Favourite characters Piglet, Mary Poppins, Minnie Mouse...

DGM - My Mum, 70 yrs old, inspired the Disney obsession! Loves Fantasia and Eeyore, discovered Vinylmations on her most recent trip!

DD - 10 yrs old, My gorgeous girl who is very much a princess and fairies girl. Current favourite princess is Cinderella, although she also likes Aurora, Tinkerbell and a few of the other fairies.

DN - 8 yrs old, my lovely niece, favourite characters are Belle and Pluto

Coming from NZ we don't get to go to Disneyland very often, but have been more times than I thought I ever would!

In 1990 I got to do a 1 day stopover at Disneyland on my way to a Girl Guide (Scout), jamboree in Canada. We stayed at Buena Park, and I visited with the other girls from NZ who were heading over. My parents and younger brother and sister visited at the same time, but I only saw them briefly at the hotel!

1994 I did the typical Kiwi "Big OE" (year or so overseas travel) and worked as a camp counsellor in Florida for the summer. I made a day trip to each of Disney MGM studios and Epcot. And on my way home my Mum met up with me and we did a couple of days at Disneyland at the end of 1994/ beginning of 1995 (can't quite remember!!). Have no idea where we stayed

I actually lived in the US from 1999-2002 but didn't make it to Disney at all in that time! Then in 2008 DD and I were lucky enough to visit for 2 days at Halloween time with DD's grandfather and some of her American cousins. We stayed at the Anaheim Hilton. DD loved it, but the 3 things she really wanted to do weren't open - Sleeping Beauty castle walkthrough was still being refurbished, IASW was down as well, and Pixie Hollow was new and opened about 2 weeks after we were there! So we knew there would have to be another trip at some point.

And in 2011 my Mum took my nephew (then age 9) to Disneyland for a few days at Halloween as well!

So we have all been at least once, except for DN. She is the middle of my sister's 5 children, so it is tricky for them to afford trips like this! Really excited for her to have her first trip!

For the upcoming trip- we are booked to arrive in LAX early morning on a Friday in October and don't leave until late evening the next Thursday. So it feels like this is the first trip where we have a decent amount of time and I have a reasonable say in what we are doing, hence the incessant planning and reading and dreaming!!!:cheer2:

Rough itinerary so far:

Looking at staying at BWPPI at the moment, would LOVE to stay at DLH (Dreaming about the DLH headboards!!) but it's just so pricey. BWPPI looks like a good option, but yet to be finalised!

Friday: Quiet first day in the parks
Arrive in LAX get out to Disney and drop bags at hotel.
- we probably wont make it for rope drop, and I'm really unsure how tired we will be from the flights - Will have to leave home about 2am in the morning, fly out at 6.30am, and it's a 10 hour or so flight, but then we arrive at 6.40am LA time! If we sleep well on the plane we should be fine, but I just don't know. Am also guessing that night will be a Halloween party so DL will shut early.
Really want DN to be able to walk in and enjoy that first entry without being rushed here, there and everywhere! Will try and ride IASW if it's still open as it might close soon after for the holiday overlay. Early night will be good anyway to prepare for tomorrow...

Saturday
: BIG Disney day!
Planning to use our MM this morning and doing rope drop for the early rush to FL and in particular PP. Might have to get to Pixie Hollow here too, if we didnt get there yesterday. Then I'm thinking BBB appointments at around 11am, princess: followed by a 1.30/2pm lunch at AG, and the only other plan is to watch the fireworks that night from in front of the castle. Definitely want to get a feel for the layout of DCA today, as none of us have been and we want to be prepared for Wenesday.

Sunday: Only major plan for today is Fantasmic Dessert seating, for the first show and staying put to watch the fireworks afterwards. Will do some park time during the day, but might need a sleep in in the morning.

Monday
: Day off from Disney :(
Time for a break day and we're still trying to figure out what to do this day!

Tuesday: Halloween Day!
Will do DTD in the morning, including Studio 365 makeovers, and maybe Build-a-Bear, then enter DL on a Halloween party ticket at 3pm and party till it closes!

Wednesday: DCA day!
Try to be at DCA for rope drop, although we'll be behind the EE folks. Still trying to decide if we will try for RSR first thing, or get a FP. Stay through till close and do WOC

Thursday: Final Day!
Minnie and Friends character breakfast during early entry time (which we won't have), then do final rides on our favourites. Late lunch in DTD, probably at Rainforest Cafe, before heading out to the airport and on home!

Joining in

Fellow Kiwi here -:cool1:

How cool - we are staying at BWPPI in June this year.

let me know if you want anything bought back to help out with your trip.

My mum (66 yrs old ) inspired my Disney passion as well - she saved for years to take us 3 kids to Disney and we finally got there for the first time in 1985 after her saving for like 10 years or so and it was the start of something special.

Hi disneykiwi! Thanks for joining in! Hope you will write a trip report about your trip and the BWPPI when you get back - I will be sure to read.

And thanks for joining too TheChapman6!

I had preordered the Photopass+ and it arrived today, so exciting!!!! Loved the CD of stock photos, lots of really great shots and so vibrant in the colours.
Now to put the voucher in a safe place so I don't lose it before we go!

I knew I was ordering well, well in advance but I wanted to be sure we got it, and wasnt sure how long it might take to arrive, but it looks like the 14 days applies to NZ as well, took 13 days from ordering to arriving in my letterbox!

Welcome PrincessInOz and Caroline NZ!! Glad to have you reading along! It's fun to see so many New Zealanders/ Aussies on these boards!

We have our accommodation booked so thats the 2 big things sorted, now just the tickets to purchase, hopefully before any price increase!

Have been busy signing up to restaurant e-clubs too, in case of any discount vouchers, but think I may have to sign up my Mum closer to the time as most of them seem to send a welcome voucher that expires a week or two after you signed up!:stir:

Hi - we had our second trip there in April - got lots of good advice from the Boards before we went

Have to say on both trips there we were just too knackered to have even thought about going into the parks on the day we arrived - had an early arrival 1st trip and an early afternoon arrival the 2nd trip. Our daughter was 4 on the 1st trip and almost 7 on the 2nd and we were all exhausted from the travel - but rearing to go on our 1st full day after a good night's sleep

Anyho, if there's anything you want to know from a recent kiwi visitor let me know!

HI bolty717!! Thanks for stopping by!

Yes, I am worried about how tired we will be from travel, but also can't imagine being that close to the parks and not going in! Usually I am pretty good with travel, and the last time we went to the States my then 5yr old slept really well (equiv of a full nights sleep) on the flight so was rearing to go when we got there. This time however it is a different time of day, and she is older and therefore bigger so curling up in the seats wont be as easy!

We are off to Disney on Ice today so we get a little bit of a Disney fix to keep us going!! Yay!:cheer2:

Funny, we are off to Disney on ice too! my girl is looking forward giving her ears an outing!

Hi knewton64! Thanks for joining in!

I've been a bit quiet in here, but have been busy reading all the boards :surfweb:and soaking up the info, of course as I read more, I come up with more questions, more things I want to do, more money I need and start to question my current plans!

So far we have the flights, accommodation and Disney tickets booked so those are the three main things - We can get to Disney, have somewhere to stay, and get into Disney, the rest is the bonus stuff! And I'm glad we got the tickets booked before the price rise that was announced today.

Right now I am contemplating making a bit of a Disney magic surprise for the trip and secretly booking one night at DLH. pixiedust: My daughter and I REALLY want to stay there, and experience the headboards and just being part of a Disney hotel. We certainly can't afford to stay there for the whole trip, and we have already booked accommodation at BWPPI.

But I am toying with the idea of a surprise last night at DLH. DGM is covering most of the costs of this trip, so I could afford 1 night at DLH for the 4 of us, and it would feel like I was giving something back to her. We had discussed the possibility of a night or 2 there earlier but DGM was worried about the hassle of having to pack and change hotels in the middle of the stay. So I am thinking if we keep our reservation at BWPPI, but I book this on top, (and perhaps somehow arrange a surprise package for each of them with toothbrush, hairbrush, pajamas, etc.) then we could have a magical night without really having to move all our stuff and pack up early!

(As an aside I looked at the In room "Princess for a day" celebrations that you can get at Disney World and I am so jealous! (although I a little bit grateful as that would be a lot more money!) They look so much fun and just perfect for my DD and DN. I know you can do Mickey celebrations etc at DLR, which look awesome too, but not quite as perfect as the Princess ones)

If I work it right it would also mean we could get EMH at DCA on the Wednesday, which will likely be our best chance at getting on RSR, and EMH for our last day at DL as well! Of course at this stage I am having trouble keeping the idea a surprise, so not sure if I could keep it a surprise once I have actually booked it!

Any thoughts on this plan? Is it worth going to DLH for one night? At times I think, just wait till we go another time and can afford to stay the whole time, but it is a big trip for us, and although we have been a few times it always feels like this will be our Once in a Lifetime trip, as I never know if/when we will be able to make it back. So am thinking it is cheaper to do a few splurge moments on the trip we are already doing, rather than try and do a whole new trip at another time!

Kiwigirls - If you really want to do it, go for it! Who knows what the future brings? But as for "trip of a lifetime"....I think if you go ask the ANZACs on the DisBoard, everyone starts out planning their trip of a lifetime. You might find quite a few repeat "trip of a lifetimes".

I completely agree - I say if you can afford it - go for it. Sounds like a wonderful plan and imagine the joy on their faces when they get the surprise.

Another fellow kiwi here and ex castmember :) sounds like you have a great trip planned and can't wait to read along with your PTR!

Kiwigirls - If you really want to do it, go for it! Who knows what the future brings? But as for "trip of a lifetime"....I think if you go ask the ANZACs on the DisBoard, everyone starts out planning their trip of a lifetime. You might find quite a few repeat "trip of a lifetimes".

What u r thinking about doing ........... why not?:thumbsup2

Pssstttt!!!! For my DL adventures in Dec 2014, YES......I will be doing a hotel 'split stay' so I can experience a few days at the DL hotel (my main hotel will be PP).:goodvibes

So IMO, GO FOR IT & HAVE FUN.popcorn::

T.T.F.N.

popcorn:: Count me in!

Oh, and we're coming up to our 4th-Once-In-A-Lifetime trip!

Great to see so many fellow ANZACS on these boards, and multiple "once in a lifetime" trips!

Have been a bit slack on here, but got some time to update the plans now!

The itinerary has changed a little as the dates for Mickeys Halloween Party were not quite as predicted, but it works out a little better for us I think!

So Tues and Wed have to be swapped, so now Tuesday is DCA day and because it's not an EMH day for hotel guests, we can go straight to RSR without any EMH crowds ahead of us. :yay:

Then Wednesday will be our DTD morning/ Studio 365, followed by the Halloween party that night!

DD and I have our costumes pretty much sorted, but am just waiting for DNiece and DGM to decide on their costumes, and whether they will match us. DD is going as Snow White from Once Upon a Time and I am going as Regina/Evil Queen from OUAT.

And we have our Countdown chain up! Started at 95 days, and only 82 days to go now! So far, and yet I know it will get here quickly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter