4 neighbors bought new cars to save on gas. Is this a trend!

They were talking about this on extreme 4x4 on spike channel. If you have a vehicle that is paid off-even if mpg isn't that great- you are looking at 7 years to recoup your expense. The money that it takes to fill up the pump is seen but then you have to factor in the cost of the car over the amount financed. But the car makers are defintley cashing in on this. As for the poster that said their neighbors went 8000 upside down- What the crap were they thinking!!???

Well, even if you have only two kids, kids have friends, and you end up carpooling...so BANG! You need a bigger car....why on earth do you think moms drive minivans???:lmao:

The folks I know who have SUVs either tow boats or campers, or they live in cold snowy weather where they need more of a truck than a car.

Really? Most people I know who drive SUVs park them at the mall and wait in line to pick up their kids at school.

There are millions of folks out there who are 'upside down' or 'underwater' on their SUV payments---no surprise there.

what really gets me on the whole gas-small car thing is this.

Explain to me how some toyota's and nissan's got 50-60mpg during the 1980's, but now for us to get 50mpg we have to spend 25-30K for a hybrid.

Why can't we get the 50-60 using just gas, without the added expense of the hybrid?

Its all marketing, they get us hooked on the SUV's and mini-vans that get 15-20mpg, then we all think that a hybrid that gets 45-50mpg is spectacular.

Look at the 1984 corolla in this link. 59mpg. sad.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/11/04/toyota-corolla-gas-mileage/

Really? Most people I know who drive SUVs park them at the mall and wait in line to pick up their kids at school.

So, they go to the mall while the kids are in school. Anything wrong with that? They still need the SUV to pick up the kids from school and then go to wherever the kids need to go for afterschool activities, and maybe home, and maybe even, gasp, to buy groceries!! They may even need to drive to a doctor's appointment, but why should they use a big SUV for such important things, you might ask? The fact is, it is nobody's business who drives a big SUV or why they need the room.

C'mon everyone. So many are taking this whole car/gas thing wayyyy too seriously and getting bent out of shape.

To everyone - SUV owners to small car owners to van owners to truck owners....it just DOESN'T MATTER. Just keep driving what works for you and your family and don't worry about everyone else. If you aren't letting the gas prices impact you or your decision to keep/get rid of a particular vehicle, THAT IS JUST FINE. Don't let anyone make you feel any differently. People on the boards have the guise of anonymity and it just seems like people can get super-sensitive to topics like this (both on the giving AND receiving ends!).

While there's been some really great discussion, this thread is getting out of hand.

Re: better fuel economy for some of the cars back in the '80's: our driving habits are different now than they were back then. We spend a lot more time in start/stop traffic, which greatly impacts the MPG. Those cars that got super gas mileage were also tiny. Look at the '87 Civic (CRX) and compare to today's model - MUCH larger. EPA has also changed it's guidelines for MPG and is much more rigorous, so MPG numbers are lower than before. People wanted bigger trunks, more legroom, and the manufacturers responded. Also, A/C was optional back in that day so it didn't get figured into EPA's numbers. It also got 58 horsepower (YIKES!), compared to 140 hp in today's models.

So in reality, a new Civic is bigger, SAFER (many cars in the 80's got 1 or 2 star crash ratings), AND actually more fuel efficient.

Hmmmm, I wonder what MPG the Geo Metro got??? :)

So, they go to the mall while the kids are in school. Anything wrong with that? They still need the SUV to pick up the kids from school and then go to wherever the kids need to go for afterschool activities, and maybe home, and maybe even, gasp, to buy groceries!! They may even need to drive to a doctor's appointment, but why should they use a big SUV for such important things, you might ask? The fact is, it is nobody's business who drives a big SUV or why they need the room.

My point was to the poster that I quoted.....that most people I know who are driving/using SUVs and Trucks are not hauling boats or campers behind them. I also mentioned in a previous post that I drive a 1997 4-Runner.....and other than the few times a year we haul mulch or some big item, we really don't need the thing. Still, I bought one all those years ago just like everyone else and I'll keep it until the wheels fall off.

If people want to drive SUVs to the cows come home I could truly care less. It may very well get to the point where many can't afford it anyway, so it's likely a moot point.

My only point is that other than for a small minority SUVs were never a necessity. They were produced en masse by the big auto makers at a time when fuel was very, very cheap and the profit margins are much higher on SUVs than on small cars. As for fuel being cheap, well, that's no longer the case, and while prices won't go up in a straight line, the general direction for energy prices will be *up*.

We have 5 kids, so we are keeping our expedition. My explorer on the other hand is not needed at this point. Its paid for (95), but I drive 3,000 miles a month. At $4 a gallon, thats roughly $700 a month in gas.

I just bought a used toyota corolla which gets 35+mpg, which is $340 a month in gas. The payment is $200 a month for a totla of $540 a month.

I am saving $160 a month and I am driving a newer car. As for the explorer, I kept it since it was paid off and I'll use it during bad snow storms for the 4-wheel drive.

$160 a month is a nice chunk towards a disney trip ! :)
But now you are insuring 3 cars not just 2, so your savings is less than $160/month.

Explain to me how some toyota's and nissan's got 50-60mpg during the 1980's, but now for us to get 50mpg we have to spend 25-30K for a hybrid.

Why can't we get the 50-60 using just gas, without the added expense of the hybrid?

Its all marketing, they get us hooked on the SUV's and mini-vans that get 15-20mpg, then we all think that a hybrid that gets 45-50mpg is spectacular.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/11/04/toyota-corolla-gas-mileage/
Those cars were made lighter with very limited safety. Safety adds weight and weight reduces MPGs.

My point was to the poster that I quoted.....that most people I know who are driving/using SUVs and Trucks are not hauling boats or campers behind them. I also mentioned in a previous post that I drive a 1997 4-Runner.....and other than the few times a year we haul mulch or some big item, we really don't need the thing. Still, I bought one all those years ago just like everyone else and I'll keep it until the wheels fall off.

If people want to drive SUVs to the cows come home I could truly care less. It may very well get to the point where many can't afford it anyway, so it's likely a moot point.

My only point is that other than for a small minority SUVs were never a necessity. They were produced en masse by the big auto makers at a time when fuel was very, very cheap and the profit margins are much higher on SUVs than on small cars. As for fuel being cheap, well, that's no longer the case, and while prices won't go up in a straight line, the general direction for energy prices will be *up*.

In America, there has ALWAYS been a desire/need for bigger cars. Before families had SUVs, they had station wagons. So the 2008 family of today has a SUV, the 1975 family had a gaz guzzling station wagon OR a big panel van (remember those) to carry around kids, dogs, and camping gear, etc.

Most (sane) women don't haul their kids to the mall with them, so of course you are seeing single drivers there.

3 of my neighbors did the same thing! I keep reading how people aren't doing it, but in my neighborhood they are. We drive small cars anyway so no need to switch.

Just a week ago GM had their 72 hour sale...and extended it. The news says they're contemplating getting rid of the hummer brand. The time for downsizing has come and gone...and folks are locked in with their leases, 5-7 year loans before their vehicles are paid for. 3 years ago I saw this coming and went from a V8 to a 4 cylinder. Then early this year, parked the truck and purchased the scooter. It's used specifically for commuting, and nothing more. 3 years ago I started commuting on Fridays by bicycle (and behold the stress factor went down!) I also reaped the physical/mental/emotional benefit. What I have found is that I have taken baby steps and maintained the course. I also focus more on what's in front of me and less on my neighbor. Yes, I see people buying bigger=better but that has no bearing on me or my emotional state. It's a well know fact people buy into emotional gratification and go down that road. I'm allready seeing news reports about people downsizing their homes. People have been telecommuting for years. We as a family have cut down on our driving dramatically. We condense trips. I've seen the price increases in the stores and have had to adjust to that. I've set timelines and realistic goals for myself and that is to be car free personally in 2 years. That will give me time to logistically plan so it won't be such a dramatic change in my life. I don't want to be defined by my vehicle: so I won't be if I don't have one! I know people will comment but that is just a fact of life: oh, I could never do that! (it's too inconvenient) or I have 5 kids I could never do that! In our world, anything is possible and so I am going to focus on my own personal growth and change and let everyone else have at it...I get better results that way. I used to have the old ideal: that guy with 5 kids should be setting the example for me! That and 75 cents got me the paper (it went up 25 cents ago because of inflation)...
There is a trend and it is going to take a long time to make the change: Americans love their cars! or going upside down on car loans won't change overnight either...the finance companies would go out of business!

Today's automobiles are much larger than they were during the eighties, and the Accord would be the best example; the 2008 edition is a full-size car, as opposed to the subcompact Accords of the late seventies.

Therefore, the mileage figures for today's cars were bound to be lower, but 30+ MPG for a compact sedan priced in the mid-teens isn't too shabby.

even though it uses diesel it seems as if this car will still cost less to run
All costs/debates aside... there is something ELSE to consider BEFORE you rush out to get ANY diesel vehicle.
I drive a diesel truck for work. If you have never driven a diesel, you will be in for a shock. ITS HARD TO GET GAS!!!! In my small town, I'd say 1/2 - 2/3rds of the gas stations do NOT sell diesel. of the ones that do (including the Walmart ones) most only have ONE diesel pump. REST ASSURED you will be at the ONLY diesel pump, waiting for your gas, while there will be 3 or four FREE unleaded pumps. You will NOT be able to just pull in and grab the first tank. The diesel tanks are VERY OFTEN in the absolute worse locations (one local gas station pops into my mind... its BEHIND the store in the dark.). Usually the diesel pump is on the end, the other drivers have this uncanny habit of getting angry at you if you block the entrance to get diesel, when they can see an empty pump right beside them. Who cares if your vehicle can't use unleaded??? its a free pump! You should be THERE, not blocking the entrance.:laughing:
I can't count the number of times I have drove into a station on fumes just to find no diesel pump. i have to pray to the next station! (I'm one of those people who never fills my tank!). I keep it low, because filling my tank is $200.00 and thats a LOT of weight. I just don't see the need in hauling $200 in gas. Not cost effective. Besides, people steal gas. It stays between 1/4 tank and empty at all times.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a diesel. I LOVE mine. I'm just saying be aware that pumps are scarce, stations that carry it are few, and it currently costs nearly a buck more per gallon. Gas is faster, easier, more available, and cheaper by the gallon than diesel. Also the diesel pumps are usually further away from the stores, so if you usually go in to the stores, you will walk more. Something to consider if your physically challenged.

http://www.mpgomatic.com/2007/11/04/...a-gas-mileage/

I didn't really want to post this, but I heard from a VERY reliable source that there was a technology patent buyout back in the mid 90s. Much of the patents to the fuel effecient engines were sold and bought by the oil industry. According to my source, if the automobile industry is to make more effecient vehicles they will now have to recreate it, as the oil industry sees no need to allow the use of their patents and technology that once created more effecient cars.

I can't count the number of times I have drove into a station on fumes just to find no diesel pump. i have to pray to the next station! .

I haven't found that at all. True that many stations do not sell diesel but it's not hard at all to find one that does. When traveling all truck stops have diesel on the highways. Never really have had any problems finding it.

Diesel is expensive but is currently dropping slightly in my area. I bought a diesel to tow and it does so far better than any 3/4 ton gasser.

I may buy a used economy car for commuting but it would have to be a rather older cheap car. I figured an economy car would save me about $200/month in fuel costs. But then I have to pay insurance.

I do not understand people who will go buy a brand new $20,000+ economy car and trade in their way upside down SUV etc. all because they wanted to save money on gas. They most likely will end up spending 1000's more on the new car and insurance etc. and wipe out any gas savings.

That's a great point; in spite of the bottomless amount of information on the Net regarding car-buying, many folks don't do their homework and frequently get taken to the cleaners at their local dealership, usually by doing dumb things such as financing a car over 72 or 84 months, which is asinine in most cases.

There are millions of folks who are 'underwater' and/or 'upside down' on their SUVs, especially if it's only 2-3 years old, and their options are extremely limited.

All costs/debates aside... there is something ELSE to consider BEFORE you rush out to get ANY diesel vehicle.
I drive a diesel truck for work. If you have never driven a diesel, you will be in for a shock. ITS HARD TO GET GAS!!!! In my small town, I'd say 1/2 - 2/3rds of the gas stations do NOT sell diesel. of the ones that do (including the Walmart ones) most only have ONE diesel pump. REST ASSURED you will be at the ONLY diesel pump, waiting for your gas, while there will be 3 or four FREE unleaded pumps. You will NOT be able to just pull in and grab the first tank. The diesel tanks are VERY OFTEN in the absolute worse locations (one local gas station pops into my mind... its BEHIND the store in the dark.). Usually the diesel pump is on the end, the other drivers have this uncanny habit of getting angry at you if you block the entrance to get diesel, when they can see an empty pump right beside them. Who cares if your vehicle can't use unleaded??? its a free pump! You should be THERE, not blocking the entrance.:laughing:
I can't count the number of times I have drove into a station on fumes just to find no diesel pump. i have to pray to the next station! (I'm one of those people who never fills my tank!). I keep it low, because filling my tank is $200.00 and thats a LOT of weight. I just don't see the need in hauling $200 in gas. Not cost effective. Besides, people steal gas. It stays between 1/4 tank and empty at all times.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't get a diesel. I LOVE mine. I'm just saying be aware that pumps are scarce, stations that carry it are few, and it currently costs nearly a buck more per gallon. Gas is faster, easier, more available, and cheaper by the gallon than diesel. Also the diesel pumps are usually further away from the stores, so if you usually go in to the stores, you will walk more. Something to consider if your physically challenged.

Thanks for the information in regards to diesel gas pumps. :thumbsup2

We have checked out the availibility of diesel gas in our local area and have 3 places within a five mile area of us to purchase diesel.

I haven't found that at all. True that many stations do not sell diesel but it's not hard at all to find one that does. When traveling all truck stops have diesel on the highways. Never really have had any problems finding it.
You probably don't live in my town either. It may be much easier or much harder to find diesel pumps DEPENDING ON where you live.:thumbsup2 I live out in the country. I do live close to the city as well, but I don't work on that side of town. All my work is in the country, and its mostly smaller mom & pop gas stations. If you live in the city, or near an industrial area, your diesel selection may be a lot better.

What i laugh about is people that are paying above MSRP for the Prius. Good car but for $34,000? That's how much one on Ebay was going for when I looked. Only worth it if you get the car for MSRP or below and even then you need to use it quite a while before you'll enjoy the savings. Probably a few years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter